SPI High School Spanish Language Immersion & Volunteer in Costa Rica

SPI High School Spanish Language Immersion & Volunteer in Costa Rica

SPI High School Study Abroad is excited to announce Spanish Immersion in Mexico is back!
*Please visit our website for details on our language and cultural immersion program in Mexico.

SPI Study Abroad's high school Spanish immersion program in Costa Rica is known for its variety of fun activities, including cooking, surfing, zip-line canopy tours, rain forest and wildlife walks, volunteer service projects, dance classes, artisan studio visits and more. With two locations to choose from, Costa Rica is the perfect setting for high school students to practice their Spanish skills, while also exploring and experiencing Costa Rica’s vibrant culture. Students live with caring homestay families, attend Spanish class, and participate in a vast array of activities and excursions to experience the best the country has to offer. SPI Study Abroad Costa Rica offers two and four-week long summer program sessions. For complete program details, including dates, tuition, itineraries and photos, please visit the SPI Study Abroad website.

North America » Costa Rica
Program Categories
Student Tour
Adventure Travel
Spanish

Katy
Ann Arbor, MI

SPI, My Experience In Costa Rica

I learned an incredible amount during my study abroad experience in Costa Rica this past summer, and not only from the learning center we attended in Monte Verde, but also from the shopkeepers, host families, and general environment that surrounded us during our trip. My "papá tico" and "mamá tica" were very kind and never failed to share their Costa Rican and general knowledge with me and my roommate. The food was amazing and the excursions our group took (both for recreation and service) were exciting and fun. My knowledge and confidence with the Spanish language grew throughout the duration of the trip, and I have many wonderful memories from my time in costa Rica. Zip lining over the cloud forest and performing our graduating assignment at El Centro Panaméricano de Idiomas in Monte Verde are among my favorites.

Jessica
Ypsilanti, Michigan

SPI, An Experience Of A Life Time

My overall SPI experience was an experience of a life time; I will truly never forget a single memory from this trip. My study abroad experience in Monteverde Costa Rica was my first true experience outside of the United States, as well as my first true experience where I had little control over my envirionment seeing that I was in a spanish speaking country. Upon meeting my homestay I was overly nervous and was scared for the next week of my life, but on the last day when we had to say goodbye I didn't want to leave; they became my second family. The excursions that were planned were amazing as well, we went zip lining, bridge walking, community service, played soccer with local kids as well as visited a beautiful beach on isla tortuga where I got to meet and play volleyball with other study abroad kids whom I am very good friends with even today. Here I am writing a review for the program and my experience but to be quite honest, I can't even fit all of the amazing memories that were gained from this trip and I cannot even fathom the feeling of enlightenment, and community, into a few sentences. I highly recommend traveling with SPI, the entire process from airports to day to day life was planned amazingly.

Graycen
Austin, Texas

SPI, Life Changing Experience!

You read those reviews that start with "LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE!!! :D", and it has absolutely zero effect on you. Out of all the reviews that claim something to be life changing, probably only 10-20% are genuinely so. However, SPI is part of that elite group. SPI provided me with experiences that simply weren't accessible for me back home. From bungee jumping with my new found friends to volunteering with the neighborhood kids, I honestly had an unforgettable experience. Not a once in a life time one- I'm returning next summer-, however it is one that I'll never forget.

James
Oxford, MI

Adventure of a lifetime

The trip was interesting and fun right off the bat. Once I got off the plain staff was welcoming and accommodating in every way. I loved volunteering where we got to help make houses look new again my adding concrete, painting, and sanding. Out activities were places around Flamingo Beach where I got to learn how to surf, paddleboard, and snorkel since those opportunities aren't present here in Michigan so it created a way to do things I'd never thought I'd have the chance to do. I also liked the amount of freedom when we got to walk around town shopping and exploring. It gave a since of adventure that was guided by the curiosity of my new friends and I.

Classes were informative and we got to learn a lot but sitting in a classroom for 4 hours took some of the fun out of the experience. If we got to put newly learned vocabulary to practice, such as going out as an activity and talking to someone, there would be more interactive learning where we can apply new skills.

Lulu
Atlanta, Georgia

Costa Rica Experience

Going abroad and immersing myself with the Spanish people and culture has always been a dream of mine. I have always wanted to be able to hold a conversation fluently and this trip gave me the opportunity to do just that. Practicing my Spanish in a Spanish-speaking country 24/7 pushed me to my highest potential even though it was exciting and nerve racking. Being in a country I have never been before, with strangers whose primary language was not English pushed me to try my hardest and speak all the Spanish that I knew regardless of the mistakes that I made. I took advantage of all the numerous opportunities such as; speaking with mama tica, with teachers, and at the stores. Through this experience I became independent and did not rely on a dictionary or teacher to explain things to me. I have seen a lot of growth in my Spanish after coming from the trip.

I can honestly say that everything in this program was perfect. I cannot chose only one aspect that was my favorite.I enjoyed that this program incorporated other activities like the cooking classes and dancing classes that really exposed us to the Latin culture and the Latin cuisine. To study abroad is an experience of a lifetime and I feel that everyone should be able to do it.You will leave learning so much and always remember your experience and memories there.

Katherine
St. Petersburg, Florida

¡Una experiencia increíble!

I can full heartedly say that this trip has been one of the best two weeks of my life. The experience is immensely helpful with regard to the immersion within the home-stays and within the class room, as the teachers speak very little English. The service is also rewarding, and I learned a great deal about the environment and what we can do to help our planet. The relationships I formed on this trip have lasted and I will always look back fondly on my memories from this trip. The town of Monteverde, as well as Santa Elena, felt very safe and I never felt in harms way, as it is a small and friendly town. We do numerous activities, including zip-lining, horseback riding, dancing classes, hanging-bridge tours, planting trees, and many more. Each activity shared more of the culture of Costa Rica with us and the importance of nature to Monteverde.

This experience will better me throughout my life and is one I will never forget. Not to mention the Costa Rican food is delicious. I highly recommend this program to whomever is considering it and is open to embracing the culture and customs of Costa Rica.

I would suggest that the supervisors recommend places to go during free mornings or nights, because we would have to find places on our own without much feedback as to what the best places to hang out are or fun activities to do around town.

I also think that people would appreciate it if the supervisors recommended that the students keep a diary or write down what happened each day. I wish I had done this and I think it would be useful for future participants.

April
College Station, Texas
Texas A&M University

Una experiencia inolvidable

SPI is knowledgable and passionate about study abroad and the value it has for high school students. Studying abroad forces you out of your comfort zone as you gain a broader perspective on life. Traveling abroad on a language immersion program is the best way to improve your language skills, become more confident and well-rounded, and help prepare you for college and beyond.

Taylor
Villa Hills, Kentucky

Great time!

My trip to Costa Rica is a trip that I will never forget. It helped me grow as a person and a student. I learned about a culture unfamiliar to my own and about the people from the country. It taught me to be more understanding and open minded. Of course I learned plenty of Spanish, but more importantly I learned a lot about myself. I would not trade this experience for anything.

Molly
New York City

costa rica summer study abroad

I had a great experience with SPI study abroad this summer. I made a lot of new friends from around the US who I still stay in contact with. I loved my roomates and grew a very close bond with them. Costa Rica is a beautiful country with great food and lovely people. It really helped me improve my spanish and everyone was so caring and kind, I highly reccomend this trip.

I wish I had more food.

Juliana
Ashburnham, MA

Viva la vida en Costa Rica!

This trip was a life changing experience! I got to immerse myself in Spanish at a beautiful school, while also being a 2 minute walk from the beach! I highly recommend it to any high school student looking for a one of a kind cultural immersion experience! The program staff for both SPI and the school were so nice and they were always there to help us! From day one, you'll live with a host family that will, by the end of the trip become your second family! Weekdays are spent doing activities or volunteer service in the morning. Usually activities were visiting local beaches, horse back riding, and cultural activities. The volunteer service was so much fun and it's even better knowing you're making a difference. The weekends were our big activities. One of them was visiting a national park where we went horse back riding, river tubing, and zip lining, all in the same day! We also had an optional sunset cruise where we went snorkeling off the coast of Playa Tamarindo! The weekday afternoons are spent at the language school. The first day you're tested and placed in a class from anywhere from 1-4 students my year since we were a small group. the teachers make the classes very fun and usually you do an activity each class. The school in Flamingo also gives out snacks during break time and the school even has its own pool! The food on the program was so good! If you're not up to diving straight into Costa Rica food, for lunch there are a few different options. With your host family, I can guarantee that everything will be yummy! My advice would be to be open to different kinds of food! Most of it is rice and different meats that you're used to so it isn't that far of a stretch! You'll almost always have a roommate depending on the group, and everyone in the group will become best friends by the end. Beaches, surfing, clear water, hilltop restaurants, gelato (yes there is gelato!), what is there not to love! Safely was never an issue during my time there! Everyone in the village we stayed at knew each other and we got to know our neighborhood ice cream owner and convenience store owner. There are so many more things I want to mention about the trip but I don't want to make this into a novel! Please feel free to message me about any question that you have about the program! Trust me, you'll never get sick of the Costa Rica sunsets! Pura Vida!

Overall this program was amazing! The one thing I would change has nothing to do about SPI but more about the language school we were at. It was nothing major and was quickly resolved and it was just about which programs rules we had to follow with our host family. You'll be under SPI's rules.

MichelleSchuler13
Austin

Great Program

I had so much fun hanging out on the beach and doing the community service projects! The learning atmosphere is really fun and you don't even feel like you are learning.

Lholthaus
Northern Kentucky

Costa Rica

In Costa Rica I was pushed out of my comfort zone just enough to learn more about myself, the language and culture, the world, and life. I am so happy I was offered this opportunity and I recommend it to everyone.

SPI Study Abroad offers high school language immersion, volunteer service, and cultural leadership summer programs in Spain, France, Italy, Costa Rica, Mexico, and China.

The five essential elements of SPI programs include total language immersion, college credit courses, homestay experience, cultural excursions and activities, and