Abbey Road High School Modern Europe Program

Abbey Road High School Modern Europe Program

Every day will be an opportunity for historical exploration and adventure. You will witness some of the most important events of the 20th century, contemplating the D-Day landing on the beaches of Normandy, the two World Wars in Paris, Berlin and Dresden, the fall of the Berlin Wall, the end of communism and the velvet revolution in Prague, and contemporary international politics in Europe and the world. You will visit some of the most beautiful cities in Europe: Paris, Cologne, Berlin, Dresden and Prague, traveling alongside inspirational historians every step of the way. This program is designed for students with serious interest in international relations, European history, culture and politics.

Our students will live in centrally located 3 star hotels, sample authentic local cuisine, participate in discussions with their instructors and peers, and have a wonderful time traveling and making new friends. We try very hard to give our students a sophisticated, personal and authentic experience every summer, going well beyond tourism, teen tour or a summer camp. We have an excellent staff to student ratio (1 to 7), a unique educational method, emphasizing experiential, hands-on learning; and a great balance between safety, supervision and freedom of choice.

Europe » Germany » Dresden
Age Max
Application Fee
Deposit
WHAT'S INCLUDED:

All academics (majors, electives and workshops)
All meals and housing (three meals a day)
All activities, excursions and day trips
International phone and Wi-Fi plan
Airport “Meet and Greet” Service at student arrival and departure terminals
Domestic airfare plan
24 hour medical and emergency assistance
Travel coverage
Pre-Summer Language Courses and Tutoring Online

Camryn

Camryn Rosenstein's Day in Berlin

8 am​: The sky is cloudy, drizzling rain falls down. The brisk cold air is refreshing
compared  to the heat wave, we we're in just a couple days ago. ​9 am​: Men and women are
walking to work, everyone dresses very well. You can tell the tourists from the locals. The local's
dress  minimalistically  with  a  pop  of  color  and  the  perfect  mix  of  old  and  new.
10:30 am​: Rosenthaler metro station is bustling, there is a new train almost every minute. It
was confusing at first to find how to get to Alexanderplatz but luckily the German's are very kind
and helpful! Our train arrives and we get on, I think everybody knows we're American's because
I'm  holding  a  folding  map.  Awkward...Another  give  away  was  the  fact  that  we  were  talking
somewhat obnoxiously  loud. Probably shouldn't have done that!  ​11:15 am: The sky is still
grey but I enjoy walking the streets of Mitte that way. I felt like we weren't tourists anymore, just
some angst­ridden teenagers roaming the streets, what we do best. The window displays were
mesmerizing,  each  one  unique  in  it's  own  way.  From  one  design  you  could tell the brand's
consumer,  identity,  signature  look!  ​Noon: After walking many blocks,  turning  many  corners,
and  then reverting to Google  Maps,  we  found Neue Wache! There were many tourists posing
for pictures or using their selfie stick to take a selfie. Zeughaus was right next to Neue Wache,
which  was the German History  Museum. However, we recognized it  from all  the posters of a
naked man with red lipstick on, that had been following us all over the metropolis.
12:50 pm: After exploring some more historical treasures, we found a rickshaw. I had
been wanting to go on one,ever since we had seen them the first day we got to Berlin. I know it
was  such a "touristy thing" but it  looked  so fun! When in Berlin became my new motto! While
taking in all the beauty of the city on our ride, we were planning out our afternoon. The talk of a
record store  came up  and our driver overheard us  so he took us to  the "best record store in
Berlin."  ​1 pm: Dussman das KulturKaufhaus (Dussman Department Store) was  basically  a huge Barnes and Noble but it was much prettier and modern. If you wanted to escape your job
on  lunch  break,  this  was  the  place  to  go.  Five  floors  of  literature,  poetry,  vinyl  records,
notebooks, stationary, art, documentaries, biographies and much more. It was a fete of all that
was  great  in  our  big  bad  world.  ​1:45 pm: ​Briskly walking  towards the  store I had  been
dreaming about going to in real life, it was right there in front of me. MONKI! When I walked in, it
felt like I had been transported to every "hipster" girls closet. When I think of the word hipster, I
believe it is some one who forgets the trends and creates their own look which usually turns out
really  cool.  She  is  not  afraid  to be  different. One  corner  of the  store was like walking into  a
updated  school  dance,  with  a disco ball, and mirrors everywhere. They had 60s and 70s retro
meets hippie,  minimal with a twist,  just plain  crazy and  funky  and a huge sale! I noticed that
there was some another store on the other side, and I thought it was mens clothes because the
store  itself  was  the  opposite  of  Monki.  Suddenly  my  eyes  stopped  on  a  pair  of  jeans, they
looked  exactly like the  boyfriend  ankle  jeans from Acne Studios. They were women's and 45
euros! Much better than the 200 dollars in America! The store was called Weekday, and it had
men and women's clothes. No other two stores could be different than Monki and Weekday yet
they were put together.......Upstairs was even more Weekday clothes, comfy tees for 10 euros,
dresses for 30 or 40 euros, jeans from 35 euros and so much more! It kinda reminded me of a
more sophisticated Brandy Melville. I tried on everything I could possibly fit in the dressing room,
changing from one thing to the other, racing against the clock! By the time I went to check out, I was  sweating and it was cold in the store! We ran to grab a cab as soon as I got my receipt.
Finding a cab at 2pmduring the week was like trying to find a pearl on a white carpet.
After standing in the street risking our lives, we finally got a cab. When I got in the cab, I took a
huge breath. Phew! ​Beige  was all  I saw as we drove down the hectic Friedrichstrasse center.
Beige Mercedes, Volkswagens, and BMWs swarmed this frenzied area. ​Americans, driving in a
Mercedes Benz for a form of quick transportation is “pretentious”, as if Germany is showing off
their  power  and  wealth.  However,  since  Mercedes’s  are made  in Germany, it’s like buying a
Prius in America. ​3:30pm: DOME! WOW! ITs SOOOO PRETTY! I think I might of been a little
too  excited to walk  by the Berliner Dom, but how  could  you not look in  awe! ​3:35pm : As
soon  as  we  walked  into  the  DDR  museum,  I  heard  French,  German,  Chinese,  and  British
voices. There were throngs of translators  all throughout the place. I tried to stay with a buddy
while going through the exhibit, but that was often hard for me because I took like 5 minutes at
each explanation or artifact. Compared  to the many other museums we had gone to, this was
definitely  the  best  for  kids  and  teenagers  because  it  kept  you  engaged  with  the  interactive
learning.  I  found a  part  of the exhibit,  talking about  the woman of Germany post WW2, East
Germany compared to West Germany. ​West Germany kept up with the latest trends, which
was the Mod look, the US adopted from the UK starting with Twiggy. ​Beehive updos, shift
dresses,trousers, and penny loafers were featured in the photos from 1950­-1960 ish Magazines from Germany. Better yet, there were samples!

I really enjoyed the scavenger hunts, I wish we did more. I also wish we spent more time in Paris and Normandy.

Mel
Washington DC
George Washington University

Good program

I enjoyed the program! There was lots of activities and fun events with the program! I would go on this program again and enjoyed the opportunities available.

Housing was good and liked living with other students !

My favorite was traveling to other cities and doing the cultural activities !

I would recommend this program! This program was a great experience :)

The wifi isn't the best but the other opportunities available make it worth it.

Abbey Road Programs provides several summer programs for high school students. From study abroad, to language and cultural immersion, to student travel around Europe, Abbey Road is proud to offer it! With program locations currently in Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, USA, Canada and the