CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Tokyo, Japan – Japanese Language & Pop Culture

Fascinated with anime and manga? Looking to learn the Japanese language or improve your proficiency? This highly immersive program integrates language learning with behind-the-scenes access to some of the country’s most creative production studios.

After your morning Japanese classes, you’ll spend an additional hour each day practicing language outside of class – talking with an anime film creator or artist, for instance, or chatting informally with Japanese high school students during regular get-togethers. Together you’ll take in the one-of-a-kind sights and sounds of Tokyo’s shops, anime theaters, "bunny cafes,” and other pop culture landmarks.

College credit option is available for this program; see our site for details.

The next round of the Go Overseas Study & Intern Abroad scholarship opens January 30th! Head here to apply: https://www.gooverseas.com/scholarships

Betsy

Tokyo, Japan

I had no idea what to expect when traveling abroad with a group of people I had never met before, in a country I had never been, speaking a language I had never once talked in...and it turned out to be amazing. It was almost freaky how quickly everyone on the trip clicked with each other. We were instantly best friends. All of us, which made the entire trip so much more fun, and were able to help each other out on our Japanese homework or be there when someone was having a rough day. Exploring and learning in Tokyo opened my perspective on the world, how not every society thinks and operates the same as the U.S. Everyone was so friendly and helpful and I never had a problem making my way around despite the language barrier. Most memorable of all was the weekend spent with my host family. They made me feel right at home and the two young children kept me laughing the entire time. I was initially anxious about staying in a Japanese household on my own, but I quickly realized how similar their family was to my own. There were many aspects that were different, but at the end of the day a family is a family. I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. If I were to give anyone a tip when visiting Japan, it would be to step out of your comfort zone just because you're afraid you'll make a fool of yourself, because that's the best way to learn and create memories to last forever.

Denise

Fulfilled my dreams

As a low income minority, studying abroad was too out there and seemingly impossible. However out of all the study abroad programs that I found online this one was the one that offered the most financial help, and it ended up with me going to Tokyo, Japan entirely for free. I am eternally grateful to CIEE thanks to them I see myself more than what I used to and my confidence and ambition has gone up. A great program not just for learning languages, but for learning about yourself and growing, I advocate heavily for CIEE and encourage many to take the chance to apply for their programs and to take the time to file out the financial aid documents.

Perhaps better organization skills, by the end of the trip it was slightly obvious that they have run out of things to do or budget, but that was over three years ago. Another thing could perhaps be better student supervision because students did go slightly wild on the trip but overall those are somethings you can't control at times so I don't blame it on the program.
Response from CIEE Global Navigator

Hi Denise, thank you for your review. We’re so glad that you enjoyed your summer program with us! Our programs are growing every year and your feedback helps us improve our students’ experiences abroad.

Emily

The Best Month Ever in Japan

I made so many new friends from all over the country and learned so many new things while learning to speak Japanese for the first time. Originally, I was unnerved by the fact that there wasn't too much information provided on the website, but after talking to an alumni and emailing the helpful CIEE staff, I was able to convince my parents to let me go. Also, there's a scholarship option that I applied to and was lucky enough to receive, so that really helped me out. Once in Japan, I had the time of my life! We went to Narita, Tokyo, and Kyoto and everyday I found myself trying and LOVING new things. It was an amazing experience and I really wish I could go back to the first day and live it all again right now. From shopping in Harajuku, to visiting the Skytree is Asakusa, to having an amazing homestay, I really had the time of my life.

More clear rules about how many need to be in a group when leaving campus, also not being as strict about keeping in groups of threes, which is a weird number.