• Japan

Program Details

Academic Year Fall Spring Summer
Dormitory Host Family Hotel

Pricing

You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE! Our high-quality programs include tuition, housing, on-site airport pick-up, field trips and cultural activities, 24/7 on-site professional staff, and automatic iNext insurance.

Airfare is included on high school semester abroad programs.

Scholarship opportunities are available for high school summer programs.

There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Travel Insurance
Oct 06, 2021
May 23, 2018
12 travelers are looking at this program

Picture yourself in Japan. Getting a feel for Japanese slang during lunch with new classmates. Finding your voice and a flair for performance during a night of karaoke with friends. Learning how to hand-roll sushi with your host mother or host father. Whether you choose to go to Kyoto or Tokyo, you’ll discover the rich culture and history that Japan has to offer, both in class and through your own personal explorations.

In Kyoto, you’ll step back into time in the ancient capital of Japan and take part in traditional tea ceremonies and Taiko drumming. Learn the art of making sushi, soba noodles or wagashi sweets. For a fully immersive experience, you’ll be placed in a homestay with a Japanese family where you’ll join in the daily routines and learn first-hand about local customs.

CIEE offers you a chance to study in picturesque Japan either for the summer or a full high school semester! Not a high school student? Not a problem. We also offer a Gap year program in Tokyo.

Program Highlights

• Climb to the Fushimi Inari Shrine, ascending Inari Mountain while passing through thousands of bright-orange torii gates
  • Visit Yokohama and explore landmarks such as the Cup Noodles Museum, Sojiji Temple and the food scene in ChinaTown
  • Gain a certificate of learning in to use in your resume
  • Discover Akihabara, the heartland of Otaku culture where stores specializing in anime, manga, retro video games, and electronics mix with cosplay and niche cafes
  • 24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members

Popular Programs

japan culture

Join us this summer in Japan! Grow your language skills on a 4-week language immersion program in Kyoto, complete with a homestay and daily classes and cultural activities. Or dive into Japanese pop culture to explore three major creative industries: manga, anime and gaming.

students walking

Improve your Japanese significantly as you live and study in this unique and wonderful culture. Join us for a semester or full academic year. Placed in a local high school and homestay, you’ll get to enjoy the life of an ordinary japanese teen!

boats floating by

Step back in time in Kyoto, the ancient capital of Japan with the Imperial Palace, Shinto shrines, Buddhist temples and Zen gardens as your backdrop. Improve your Japanese skills as you live and study in this unique and wonderful culture.

Betsy

Tokyo, Japan

I had no idea what to expect when traveling abroad with a group of people I had never met before, in a country I had never been, speaking a language I had never once talked in...and it turned out to be amazing. It was almost freaky how quickly everyone on the trip clicked with each other. We were instantly best friends. All of us, which made the entire trip so much more fun, and were able to help each other out on our Japanese homework or be there when someone was having a rough day. Exploring and learning in Tokyo opened my perspective on the world, how not every society thinks and operates the same as the U.S. Everyone was so friendly and helpful and I never had a problem making my way around despite the language barrier. Most memorable of all was the weekend spent with my host family. They made me feel right at home and the two young children kept me laughing the entire time. I was initially anxious about staying in a Japanese household on my own, but I quickly realized how similar their family was to my own. There were many aspects that were different, but at the end of the day a family is a family. I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. If I were to give anyone a tip when visiting Japan, it would be to step out of your comfort zone just because you're afraid you'll make a fool of yourself, because that's the best way to learn and create memories to last forever.

Denise

Fulfilled my dreams

As a low income minority, studying abroad was too out there and seemingly impossible. However out of all the study abroad programs that I found online this one was the one that offered the most financial help, and it ended up with me going to Tokyo, Japan entirely for free. I am eternally grateful to CIEE thanks to them I see myself more than what I used to and my confidence and ambition has gone up. A great program not just for learning languages, but for learning about yourself and growing, I advocate heavily for CIEE and encourage many to take the chance to apply for their programs and to take the time to file out the financial aid documents.

Perhaps better organization skills, by the end of the trip it was slightly obvious that they have run out of things to do or budget, but that was over three years ago. Another thing could perhaps be better student supervision because students did go slightly wild on the trip but overall those are somethings you can't control at times so I don't blame it on the program.
Response from CIEE Global Navigator

Hi Denise, thank you for your review. We’re so glad that you enjoyed your summer program with us! Our programs are growing every year and your feedback helps us improve our students’ experiences abroad.

Read my full story
Emily

The Best Month Ever in Japan

I made so many new friends from all over the country and learned so many new things while learning to speak Japanese for the first time. Originally, I was unnerved by the fact that there wasn't too much information provided on the website, but after talking to an alumni and emailing the helpful CIEE staff, I was able to convince my parents to let me go. Also, there's a scholarship option that I applied to and was lucky enough to receive, so that really helped me out. Once in Japan, I had the time of my life! We went to Narita, Tokyo, and Kyoto and everyday I found myself trying and LOVING new things. It was an amazing experience and I really wish I could go back to the first day and live it all again right now. From shopping in Harajuku, to visiting the Skytree is Asakusa, to having an amazing homestay, I really had the time of my life.

More clear rules about how many need to be in a group when leaving campus, also not being as strict about keeping in groups of threes, which is a weird number.
Archangel

great

It was an amazing experience for me and I take each moment with me! I really enjoyed having fun with my Japanese family, they were fun and really kind (arigato Makane Chan ;") ) Tea but the learning program is so fun and get a to the point were you really get help and understand what your doing.

Less prices for academic year and being able to improve on dinner tours.