View Other Details
Airfare is included on high school semester abroad programs.
Scholarship opportunities are available for high school summer programs.
There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive!
Picture yourself in Japan. Getting a feel for Japanese slang during lunch with new classmates. Finding your voice and a flair for performance during a night of karaoke with friends. Learning how to hand-roll sushi with your host mother or host father. Whether you choose to go to Kyoto or Tokyo, you’ll discover the rich culture and history that Japan has to offer, both in class and through your own personal explorations.
In Kyoto, you’ll step back into time in the ancient capital of Japan and take part in traditional tea ceremonies and Taiko drumming. Learn the art of making sushi, soba noodles or wagashi sweets. For a fully immersive experience, you’ll be placed in a homestay with a Japanese family where you’ll join in the daily routines and learn first-hand about local customs.
CIEE offers you a chance to study in picturesque Japan either for the summer or a full high school semester! Not a high school student? Not a problem. We also offer a Gap year program in Tokyo.
- Climb to the Fushimi Inari Shrine, ascending Inari Mountain while passing through thousands of bright-orange torii gates
- Visit Yokohama and explore landmarks such as the Cup Noodles Museum, Sojiji Temple and the food scene in ChinaTown
- Gain a certificate of learning in to use in your resume
- Discover Akihabara, the heartland of Otaku culture where stores specializing in anime, manga, retro video games, and electronics mix with cosplay and niche cafes
- 24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Join us this summer in Japan! Grow your language skills on a 4-week language immersion program in Kyoto, complete with a homestay and daily classes and cultural activities. Or dive into Japanese pop culture to explore three major creative industries: manga, anime and gaming.
Improve your Japanese significantly as you live and study in this unique and wonderful culture. Join us for a semester or full academic year. Placed in a local high school and homestay, you’ll get to enjoy the life of an ordinary japanese teen!
Step back in time in Kyoto, the ancient capital of Japan with the Imperial Palace, Shinto shrines, Buddhist temples and Zen gardens as your backdrop. Improve your Japanese skills as you live and study in this unique and wonderful culture.