• Argentina
    • Cordoba
4 to 10 weeks
Industry
Biology Chemistry Healthcare International Business International Relations Life Sciences Nursing Public Health Public Policy Social Work Sustainable Development +1

Program Details

Compensation
Unpaid
Academic Year Fall J-Term Maymester Spring Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Spanish
Weekly Hours

Pricing

Please visit our website for the full pricing of our programs.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Some Meals SIM cards Travel Insurance
What's Not Included
Some Activities Airfare Some Meals
Sep 12, 2022
Jun 09, 2022
11 travelers are looking at this program

Let the world change you in Argentina. Travel to the city of Cordoba, Argentina’s second most populous city and the location of all of CFHI’s programs within the country. You can choose from two sub-focuses for your immersion. Please indicate your interest area when applying.

Hospital Medicine & Nursing Focus: Participate in critical conversations with nurse preceptors and observe physical exams, patient histories, and daily hospital rounds while rotating alongside local healthcare personnel
Primary Care and Social Medicine Focus: Experience an intimate style of patient-provider rapport, a relationship and communication style central to successful health outcomes

You will learn in some of the oldest and most renowned teaching hospitals in Latin America and attend rotations built specifically for the program you have chosen. While not on program, you’ll be free to explore the city on your own and experience Cordoba’s European inspired architecture and food.

Program Highlights

• Learn from local experts about hospital medicine, primary care, or nursing.
  • Witness government efforts to provide care to a large percentage of the population without health insurance.
  • Join lectures and discussions on case studies with local residents and medical students.
  • Shadow healthcare professionals in various rotations in specialties including infectious disease, HIV/AIDS, surgical care, oncology, dermatology, pediatrics and psychology.
  • Become immersed in Argentinian culture and language through conversational and medical Spanish classes while living with local college students or families in Córdoba.

Cameron

Global Health in Argentina

I was fortunate to be a part of the CFHI program in Argentina. This program was an immersive experience that provided me with invaluable information about Global Healthcare and specifically the culture and practices of medicine in Argentina. Going into the program, I knew I was going to be placed in hospitals. However, I was unaware of just how supportive the CFHI staff was going to be, they truly made my experience the best it could possibly have been. CFHI provided incredible hosts families that made me feel at home and welcome in my month spent across the world. They also talked closely with the coordinators in the hospital to make sure each student was taken care of based on their individual interests. The program also expanded farther than just the medicine present in Argentinian hospitals, providing us students with cultural immersion classes covering topics such as tango, wine and history. These additions made the experience more holistic and thus it was able to contribute to me as a person and not solely just as a future healthcare provider. In addition, I would like to mention the quality of the staff that CFHI has employed. I was blessed with three amazing program directors (Carlos, Charly and Agustín) who served as helpful advisors, fierce advocates, strong support systems and wonderful friends. The staff was available at all hours and willing to assist in any issues that appeared during the trip. CFHI and their staff are what made the experience one that I will cherish for the rest of my life and I cannot put into words just how grateful I am for this organization.

Pros
  • Cultural Immersion
  • Healthcare Experience
  • Spanish practice
Madeline

Cordoba, Argentina

I participated in a two-week Medical Spanish Intensive course in Cordoba, Argentina. The mornings consisted of rounding with Internal Medicine physicians in the hospital and the late afternoons were Spanish classes. We had plenty of time to explore the city, but also time to learn and improve our Spanish. We had a manual which I was impressed with about Argentinian culture as well as a Medical Spanish practice book. My housing was nice (there was no AC, but that is the case in all of Argentina and I had a fan). The cooking by the host mom was amazing (omg so good). We practiced Spanish every night with our host family (a mother and her 9-year-old daughter) and they were very warm and welcoming.
I worked in an infectious disease hospital and was exposed to diseases such as Guillan Barre, Chagas disease, psittacosis pneumonia. The doctors were all very nice. The hospital was different from US hospitals and it was pretty eye-opening seeing how healthcare is delivered in different settings.

What was your funniest moment?
I was struggling with figuring out the time difference even though it is pretty basic. Hours ahead...behind...we laughed a lot at lunch.
Read my full story