• Costa Rica

Unpaid
Year Round
Spanish
Qualifications
  • At least one year of relevant college/university study in a related field

Pricing

Registration fee:
- Dedicated intern support
- Comprehensive internship guide
- Reflection learning course
- Pre-departure interview
- Flight and travel insurance deals

Program fee:
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Mar 14, 2022
Aug 28, 2022
7 travelers are looking at this program

Intern Abroad HQ offers the most flexible and affordable internships in Costa Rica starting from just two weeks duration - the perfect opportunity to expand your horizons and advance your dream career.

Choose from 8 unique placements in Costa Rica, all customized and tailored to meet your course credit, academic major or career path requirements. Internships are available in the fields of healthcare, finance, education, animal care and more, with flexible start dates available year round.

Outside of your internship, you'll have time to enjoy Costa Rica’s laid back culture and stunning scenery. At the end, you’ll receive an international reference from your host organization that will help your resume to stand out in front of future employers. Our dedicated team is committed to ensuring your internship sets you up for a successful global career.

*Please note, internship placements require varying levels of Spanish speaking proficiency.

Program Highlights

• Choose from 8 unique internship placements in Costa Rica
  • Placements in Costa Rica begin the first and third Monday of every month throughout the year starting, from two weeks duration at just US$1,357
  • We source and arrange your internship placement from start to finish with fees including airport transfer, orientation, accommodation, and 24/7 local support
  • All interns participate in our reflection-based learning curriculum that fosters the development of transferable soft skills that employers value
  • Explore Costa Rica’s beautiful scenery and immerse yourself in the friendly local culture

Popular Programs

Environmental Conservation Internships in Costa Rica

Gain hands-on experience helping with environmental sustainability in Costa Rica, assisting conservationists in reserves, forests and greenhouses. Help to grow and maintain plants and organic gardens, research plant health and wildlife, and make a genuine contribution to conservation in Costa Rica’s stunning ecosystem.

Healthcare Internships in Costa Rica

Healthcare internships in Costa Rica are based in clinics or hospitals, where interns assist and shadow local doctors and nurses. Specific placements are tailored for interns’ experience, internship length and Spanish language proficiency, but all provide the chance to see healthcare in action in a small Costa Rican town and learn from experienced local professionals.

Microfinance Internship in Costa Rica

Microfinance interns are placed in organizations that work directly with local entrepreneurs to provide all manner of business support services, including lending, financial literacy assistance, business lessons, advice and planning, and marketing. Interns help local business owners directly or assist local support staff.

Physical Therapy Internships in Costa Rica

An ideal internship for physical therapists or students wanting to gain genuine physical therapy work experience in a therapy clinic, supporting patients with treatments under the guidance of trained local physicians. Get hands-on experience delivering therapy relevant to your own experience.

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Eleonora

Environmental Conservation internship in Costa Rica

My Environmental Conservation internship in Costa Rica has been inspiring and exciting. I was surprised by everyone's kindness and all the attention that I received from my host family. My host mother was a great cook, so I enjoyed every meal in the house! During my internship, my main job was to collect butterfly eggs and store them in a laboratory, then release larvae on specific plant leaves. This meant educating myself about various types of plants and butterflies to collect and match them back to the correct plant. I had to ensure all the butterflies had enough fermented food and that their sanctuaries were clear of spiders and snails. I also helped with the plantation of medical plants and orchid identification. This internship allowed me to develop a deeper understanding of my field of interest. Most of the skills I gained relate to maintaining a conservation area and studying different flowers and medicinal plants. I believe that these activities can be used in the fields of environmental conservation or science for me in future! My favourite internship memory was my decision to do the internship. Every day was priceless and unique.

Pros
  • educational
  • helps you explore a lot of new places/ cultures
  • being in local family
Cons
  • travelling abroad might be stressful
  • language barrier
Kelsie

Life Changing Experience

I spent 6 weeks interning at an NGO in San Ramón, Costa Rica. The work was challenging yet very rewarding and fostered spiritual, professional, and personal growth. I am so appreciative to have had this amazing opportunity and to have met such fantastic people. The memories made and the life lessons that I acquired will remain with me forever. I really enjoyed staying with a host family. This helped me to work more on my Spanish and become further acquainted with the culture. By the end of my time in Costa Rica, my host family became a second family to me. I would make the decision to intern through Intern Abroad HQ a million times over. Signing up is a very easy and organized process and the organization provides amazing support before, during and even after your time interning.

Response from Intern Abroad HQ

Dear Kelsie, thank you for taking the time to share such a lovely review! I'm glad that you enjoyed all these aspects of your time interning in Costa Rica and I'm sure you will be missed by your host family and the people you met through your placement. We'd love to welcome you back anytime - take care and best of luck with your future adventures!

Aaron

My Cape, Town internship

My two month public health internship in Cape Town, South Africa was unique, adventurous, and unforgettable. I made a significant impact in the health field at my internship location during the day and experience the beauty of South Africa during the rest of the day/weekends. My accommodations were a one minute walk from town, which allowed me to maximize everyday enjoyment in the city. It was convenient living near the grocery store, coffee shops, the local bar/pub, clothing stores, and restaurants. I followed all safety procedures and did not experience unfortunate events. The assurance of safety allowed me to enjoy activities in the city, such as hiking table mountain, shopping at the water front, watch the sunset with friends, wine tasting, swimming at camps bay, and dancing on Long Street. I also met a lot of other international students and local students that accompanied me during my activities. My new friends made every event unforgettable and left unique memories. I also went on adventures that I have never done at my home country such as shark diving, go on a safari, pet a cheetah, bungee jumping off the world’s tallest bungee jump bridge, tandem paragliding, and kayaking. It’s amazing how much I was able to accomplish while working an 8-4 job. This was truly an experience of a life time.

At of people do not know how much InternHQ is available to help participants. For example, InternHQ is willing to listen to everyone's concern regarding refunds, robberies, problems with housing, and ect. A lot of students experienced something wrong with their internship but do not going to InternHQ for help. InternHQ helps their students so much, so its important to continually remind students of the service they offer to help their students.
Response from Intern Abroad HQ

Dear Aaron, Thanks for taking the time to share a review of your experience. It sounds like you had an awesome time in Cape Town and we're happy to have been of assistance to you. Thanks for choosing Intern Abroad HQ!