Hatchling
Morning Survey Beach
Loggerhead Sea Turtle Eggs
Loggerhead Sea Turtle Eggs
GVI: Internships in Greece

Pursue a career in marine conservation with an Internship in Greece, Giannitsochori. This is an opportunity to gain your Biological Survey Techniques Certification, and ILM Endorsed Leadership Certification. With hands-on experience, you can improve your CV and learn technical and soft skills from experts in the field.

Partner with a local organisation to safeguard loggerhead turtles and their breeding sites. You will monitor nests and turtles, build protective structures, and collect data. With your assistance, the growing awareness of these turtles will lead to better protection for them, ensuring more hatchlings join the population each year.

GVI has short, mid, and long-term objectives in place that measure against the UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs). This is an opportunity to make a sustainable impact alongside participants from all around the world.

• Work alongside local partner organizations to raise awareness on the endangered loggerhead sea turtle.
  • Enhance your CV and future career opportunities to get ahead in a competitive industry.
  • Hike nearby mountains with panoramic views over the Ionian Sea, taste traditional dishes, learn about the art and culture of Greece, and explore archaeological sites and fortresses.
  • Connect with local community members and people from around the world.
  • Develop practical conservation techniques and contribute towards the UN SDGs.

GVI has a Community Development Internship in Thailand!

This is an opportunity to learn more about Chiang Mai's local Karen hill tribe culture, gaining intercultural communication skills and valuable teaching experience.

Imogen

GVI Greece Internship 2017

I’m a second-year student at Bournemouth university, during my time here I have to do a placement for 10 weeks over first and second year. I decided to take my time abroad and look into conservation and the ways that different conservation issues are affecting the lives of different endangered animals.
I decided to take my travels to Greece in hope of working with the endangered loggerhead sea turtle. On the day I arrived I was welcomed by three of the GVI staff. It was a warm and friendly welcome making me feel part of the GVI family as soon as I landed. I went to find the rest of the volunteers and interns and met a few of the people I would be spending the next six weeks with.
Once we arrived in camp we told where our tents were and our routine for the next day, although I was nervous, I was extremely excited and everyone showed me exactly what we had to do. We were told about the different surveys we would be helping on such as:
• Morning survey
• Data base
• Shading
• Nest check
• Excavation
Every survey I was on was a completely different experience and you never knew what you were going to find, one of my favourite memories was walking down the beach when one of the other volunteers shouted “ HATCHLINGS”, 12 tiny hatchlings, the size of matchboxes, were moving towards the sea! We had to shade them and make sure they got to sea! Watching them swim off and knowing that they had made it was fantastic!!!
The range of different people that I shared my Greek experience with means I now know people from all over the world who are as passionate about conservation as I am, and I have made friends for life. It was an amazing experience which I never wanted to end and would recommend to anyone interested in this area. Thank you my GVI family. I had a truly amazing 6 weeks living in a tent on a beach in Greece, learning so much about myself and the wonderful world around me.

The only way i would improve this programme would be to make it more well known! everyone should have an experience as wonderful as this.

Location:
Heraklion
( HER )
Thessaloniki
( SKG )

If pastitsio and gyros aren't enough of a reason for you to go to Greece; then the stunningly blue waters, the medieval cities, and picturesque white houses with blue roofs should do the trick. Every island has a different vibe and will be well suited for a variety of travelers.

About GVI

Founded in 1998, GVI runs programs in various countries around the world, each manned by our own staff and aligned to the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs), as well as the objectives of local partners. We welcome participants...