Press Journalism - Work with a private magazine in gorgeous Kerala

Gain vital Journalism experience by working for a tourism and leisure magazine. You’ll get a chance to work in a global tourism magazine from India.

Our journalism project is a highly flexible one and you can use your own creativity to incorporate new ideas. You'll work as a Journalist and/or Photojournalist in a Magazine in the heart of the capital city of Trivandrum/Thiruvananthapuram. The project offer work in both Journalism and Photojournalism and you’ll have the opportunity to learn and grown within this placement under the supervision of an experienced editorial team.

You would be working under the Managing Director of the Magazine. You will be working both individually and as part of the team.
You can take part in Content Writing, Editing, Proof Reading, Photography, Marketing etc. The volunteers will be able to write their own articles in the magazine as the magazine encourages its writers to express their views on almost any subject that deals with people and places.

Francisca

A really good experience

I went to India to do an internship in Journalism. It was, of course, an amazing experience, specially because this programme is in Trivandrum, which is not a very touristic city. So, adding that to the fact that I also went during the low season, I definitely felt super immersed in the culture. It was incredible to get the chance to have such a daily indian routine and to be able to meet incredible people.
I've chosen to stay with a family and I was welcomed like I was one of them. Throughout my staying I was treated with nothing but kindness, although I feel I could have done a lot more if I would have stayed in an apartment as they were extremely protective. So, traveling and doing stuff alone was out of question.
Regarding the work, I was a bit disappointed, because I thought I would be traveling a lot more (only happened once) and also that I would be able to write my own pieces (I was mostly given editing tasks).
Overall, it was, as said before, an amazing experience that left me with a huge desire to go back to India and explore the whole country - which I hope it will happen in the future.

For those who are staying in a house, it should improve a lot in the sense of including some plans for our free time. The family I stayed with was really nice, so I think it is a good choice, but only if there would be some kind of flexibility for us or programmes (my family worked quite a lot so they wouldn't exactly take me anywhere). I was lucky to have been presented to these really nice guys who would do stuff with me, but if I hadn't, my experience would have been a disaster, honestly.
Also, the work part was not exactly what I expected. I was told I would be traveling and, as I said, it only happened once and I was too confined to the editing (when I thought, according to the descriptions, that I would be able to try other areas of journalism). So it should be a lot more organized, specially considering the price of the programme (one expects to gain valuable experience).
Rhiannon

Better than a regular holiday

My experience in India was incredible; I was exposed to a whole new way of life and culture, and gained valuable experience in the field of journalism. The family I stayed with were wonderfully accommodating and I couldn't have asked for a better stay with them. It was better than a normal holiday to the country as I could see the real side to the state.

I would have liked to do more activities/sightseeing in the week, but I understand that would have been difficult due to busy schedules.

About Internships Kerala

Internships Kerala was established in 2010 to enable people from all over the world to experience the joys of living and working in India. Our team consists of people that are born and brought up and living in India, we can take care of your needs...