Digital Marketing Internship in Indonesia

people sitting on a balcony
people sitting on a balcony
flyer with a turtle on it
flyer with a turtle on it
Live & Learn in Paradise.
Live & Learn in Paradise.
people jumping off a yacht
people jumping off a yacht

Paradise Interns gives you the unique opportunity to hone in on your digital marketing and diving skills at one of Indonesia's leading dive centers. This internship guarantees 6 months of fun in the sun.

In month 1, you'll attend a 'marketing boot camp' in Bali where you are trained in branding, social media marketing, content marketing, graphic design and SEO.

In months 2-6, you will have the opportunity to apply new skills towards a professional portfolio, continue to learn through weekly mentoring and enjoy life in paradise while diving regularly.

All internships include unlimited diving and PADI/SSI courses that work with whatever diving certifications you already have. Thinking about going pro? Enjoy earning your divemaster certification. Never dived before? You’ll have 5 months to work your way through three different certifications – Open Water through Rescue. Already a divemaster? Certain resorts offer some of the region’s leading instructor development courses.

• Free 6-month digital marketing internship. Learn digital marketing skills and build your portfolio
  • Intern at one of Indonesia's top dive resorts, marine conservation projects or NGOs
  • Earn your professional scuba certifications and enjoy unlimited scuba diving
  • 60% of interns have secured full-time employment in the dive industry post-internship

Chris

What a Ride!

I was thinking about combining scuba diving with some marketing-related long before even before hearing about Paradise Interns. After stumbling across their website for the first time, I labelled the whole thing as a scam - it just sounded too good to be true. Well, after a few restless nights and a never-ending search through my browser history, I took the plunge and applied.

From this point onwards, the whole application process was pretty straightforward. My last doubts were quickly erased when I got to speak with Anna, the founder of the program personally during the one-hour skype interview. A few weeks later, after trying to explain the whole shebang to family members and friends (with limited success), I hopped on a plane to Bali. It turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life!

I had some experience in different fields of multimedia, but I was pretty much new to social media marketing at the start of the internship. However, looking back at the first month of the internship, Anna, Pim and Elisha taught me more than I could have ever imagined. In fact, it made me wonder what schools are doing wrong as I've never experienced such a steep learning curve before. It was intense (they call it "the Bootcamp" for a reason), but I loved it. Also, hanging out in Bali with all the other interns was hella fun!

After the first month, we all got placed at different dive shops or companies. My placement was kinda special as it was split up into two different dive centres within the same company. I got to spend the first half of my internship in Malaysia and the rest of it in Komodo!

The first few weeks at the placement can be daunting, and I found myself chased by deadlines while trying to settle at the new location. Not being a native English speaker didn't make things easier too. However, I quickly got the hang of the marketing part of the internship and was diving almost daily! The more you get used to to the tools and practises used for the company's social media presence, the easier it gets and I had loads of time available to just soak up life in the tropics, dive and hang out with amazing people!

I came into the internship full of energy, keen to learn more about social media marketing but mainly to get into diving and to live abroad in the tropics. After six months, I can happily tick all the boxes, so I'd call that a win!

It's important to remember that it's all about learning and working in a real business environment (although a damn cool one) and definitely not just another volunteer program. You commit to six months of living in Indonesia, and you will certainly run into up's and down's during the period of the internship - much like you would with every normal job.

However, an experience like this was exactly what I was looking for, and Paradise Interns delivered.
Jan

Wonderful 6 months in Paradise

Truly unique and extraordinary 6 months full of learning, friendship, challenges and stunning Indonesia's nature. Paradise Interns is a small group of passionate marketers and divers who love to share their knowledge and experiences. I had an absolutely fabulous time taking the internship with them. It wasn't always easy but totally rewarding. I have improved greatly in social media management and also became a very skilled divemaster which helped to open the door to this industry in which I wish to continue my journey! I highly recommend this company to everyone seeking a new challenge and wanting to. Improve his digital nomad skills!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
If you dive every single day there is a lot to surprise you down there but for me, it was undoubtedly being surrounded with 6 sunfish on a single dive! The best diving experience I have ever had!
Ebony

Paradise Internship in Paradise

I am so glad I took the jump to move overseas for 6 months. This program really pushed me out of my personal comfort zone and pushed me to grow for the better.

This internship aided perfectly with my existing graphic design degree and has added more skills to my belt. Bootcamp is exactly what I hoped for, lots of learning with space for on the job placement learning. I really enjoyed all the parts of social media management and digital design.

Living overseas has really broadened my horizons and expanded my network of people around the world. Living overseas for the first time really can be a challenge, especially in some parts of Indonesia and Paradise Interns understands that. They were there with me every step of the way with support. Especially as most of the mentors have lived and worked in the same town as my placement (Labuan Bajo/Komodo).

This experience has made me consider returning back to Indonesia to work and continue the adventure in paradise.

What was your funniest moment?
Spending time with new friends/interns laughing, exploring and making new memories together.
Natalie

Live the dream

Paradise Interns provides a platform for you to be able to really live that island dream. Live on paradise and dive pretty much everyday! But it's not all just fun and games - this experience also gave me plenty of professional and personal development opportunities too.

During the intense first months boot camp you get a lot of information thrown at you, which can feel a little overwhelming. But with the support of the Paradise Interns team and all the other wonderful interns that you'll share this experience with, you'll get through it!

I then got placed on the wonderful Gili Air. Anna really does a great job at placing you in places and companies that fit you. While at the start it wasn't easy, I soon found my way with the work, the company and the social life at Gili Air. I totally loved my time there.

Finding a work life balance is something that is drilled into you from boot camp - and for a good reason. There is so much going on between the work, diving and socialising and you wouldn't want to miss out on one for any of the others! But if anything goes a bit askew
you'll have weekly check-ins with the Paradise Interns team were you can raise any issues you're having - be they work related or anything else, and they'll do their best to help you out.

But of course, you get what you put into this experience.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would try achieve a good work life balance as early as possible, settle into the island community even quicker and done even more diving so that I could even more out of this awesome experience!
Natasha

I went scuba diving every day and learnt a lot about digital marketing!

Paradise Interns gave me the opportunity to learn an amazing set of digital marketing skills and then implement them in real life during my five-month placement on Gili Air.

The digital marketing Bootcamp in Bali was an amazing foundation to understand so much about the field of digital marketing. Being able to put what I learned into real-life practice was awesome. Especially as it was within the field of scuba diving and conservation which I'm so passionate about.

I met amazing people from Paradise Interns - including interns and staff from all over the world! And I built a community and life on Gili Air - which would have been hard to do without having the internship as a way to set that up.

Overall it was an epic experience and an amazing opportunity. I learned so much, met amazing people, and have a killer addition to my CV!

I highly recommend to everyone.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Leaving home for 6 months seemed daunting at first but once you meet everyone from Paradise Interns you won't look back!
Joby

Digital Marketing Internship + Diving in Komodo

I loved every minute of this internship! It was probably one of my best decisions.

The first month of digital marketing bootcamp was great. I already hold a degree in consumer marketing so the general marketing theory was common knowledge to me. However, the in-depth explanations of social media algorithms and certain strategies we learnt were amazing.

Then, you get to take everything you've learnt from the bootcamp and actually apply it to the placement you're at. For me, it was a dive center in Komodo, Indonesia.
With regards to the digital marketing side of the internship, that was my favourite part. Applying the theory and knowledge you've learnt into actual strategies then analysing and tweaking them throughout the five months.

I also heavily improved my photo and video editing skills through having the time to slowly learn and actually video amazing underwater footage too.

On the diving side of things, I came to Komodo with only nine dives. Now I have over 200 dives in probably one of the best places to dive in the world and I earnt my way to the first level of a professional diver, a PADI Divemaster.

Labuan Bajo was a great place to live for five months of placement. It can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it. From eating local food for 20k IDR per plate of Europe and food from 60-100K IDR.

Lastly, you can really see your improvement as the internship goes on. In the beginning, it would take me some time to create content and edit photos and create cool videos. But the more I did it the better and quicker I became. My working week generally consisted of two days of digital marketing days, four days diving, and one day totally off to relax.

You get out of this program only what you put in!

If you're continually learning and complete your work on time then you'll really love this program and actually gain valuable skills from it (By the way, it's not hard to complete your work on time, I spent 2 days a week on the digital marketing side and the rest diving)
Daria

Amazing experience!

Just completed the Paradise Internship and it was an absolute unforgettable experience.
When I applied it was a step out of my comfort zone and I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to live in Indonesia for six months. The main reason for my application was the digital marketing part cause I really wanted to learn more about it. But also the diving was a pretty good bonus on top so I thought it might be a good adventure.
That was definitely the best decision of my life and I don’t regret even a second of it!
I’ve learned so much about Digital Marketing in the first month of bootcamp in Bali ! I didn’t know anything about marketing before so it was very valuable for me and educational. After the bootcamp I was placed in a dive centre in Komodo to do my divemaster and implement all my new social media skills into the diveshop social media accounts.
The diving in Komodo is just amazing and I can’t think of a place it could be possible better!
I’ve met so many great people, made new friends and made awesome memories I will keep forever. Living in Indonesia was definitely something new for me but I don’t mind living in sunny paradise :)

Thanks Anna and Paradise Interns for this great opportunity and amazing experience!

If you’re looking for a new adventure, want to try something out and you’re in love with the ocean and want to do your DM then you shouldn’t miss out on that one :)
Lauren

Learn some valuable skills whilst diving in paradise!

When I first saw an ad on facebook for a social media marketing and diving internship I thought to myself - this is something that is way too good to be true. This was something I had been looking online (exactly to that description) for a few weeks. Before this internship, I was a marketing coordinator with a huge passion for scuba diving so this was perfect! I immediately applied to see what this programme was all about.

I was very nervous about moving halfway across the world but Emma made me feel at ease (she helps you out with all the onboarding things). Getting to Bootcamp I didn’t really know what to expect, I was hoping for a lot of learning (I know, what a nerd). Bootcamp was quite intense, I definitely learned more than I hoped! Anna is a great teacher, she taught me a lot about social media marketing other digital marketing things. Anna picks a placement for you, I was very nervous about where I was going to be placed. When she told me I was going to be placed in Komodo, I was a little disappointed but she assured me that was the best choice for me. Fast forward 6 months and I am extremely grateful to where I have been placed. My dive shop is amazing, the location is beautiful and the diving...wow. I cannot even begin to explain how amazing the diving is in Komodo National Park. I am writing this review with 2 weeks left of this internship and I have completed almost 200 dives in Komodo (only 10 more dives to go!). Each week you also get check-ins so don’t worry, you still get continuous support throughout your internship. I mostly spoke to Elisha for my check-ins, she is great at giving advice and guiding me in the right direction to improve my content.

I am very glad that I applied for this internship. I have learned a lot, made so many new friends, developed a lot as a person and I got to experience so many incredible things. I have now decided that I want to go into freelance marketing, something that I would not have done if it wasn’t for this internship. Don’t hesitate if you think that this is for you. I assure you that you will have an awesome time!

If you are worried about applying for this internship, I would strongly advise that you head on over to Paradise Interns socials. There you will find the current interns (Pinas) taking over their accounts, talking about their daily lives. You can ask them questions on their live takeovers or on the story takeovers when they leave their Instagram handle.

This is a marketing internship so there is quite a lot of work involved. Bootcamp can be quite intense at times and once you get to the placement you will spend quite a bit of time on your content. The point of this internship is to train yourself to create content faster at the end than you did at the start.

Be prepared to put in a lot of time at the start of the internship.
Kit

Are you looking for transferable skills?

I was living in Indonesia for about 2 years by the time I came across Paradise Interns. Even though I'm a diver, the diving aspect was always a bonus as I was really looking to explore another skill set to take into a different field entirely. Similar to other reviews, the month-long Bootcamp was intense, however, considering the time people might spend to study this in college, the level of intensity during Bootcamp is expected to prepare interns for their placements. My experience was a bit different as I wasn't placed at a dive centre and worked remotely. I had a great time getting to know my colleagues and because I was placed at a not-for-profit organisation, it was great to implement my new skill immediately to help underprivileged children. As part of the Paradise Interns corporate social responsibility program, Anna and her team were great in that they provided the mentorship to support the NGO objectives which was so kind. To summarize my experience in a few words, the entire internship was hard work but what I was able to do with it was rewarding, not to mention transferable into other professional sectors!

Henry

What would I be doing without Paradise Interns?

After traveling through Indonesia, I fell in love with the country and wanted to stay. Started searching for internships and lo and behold Paradise Interns popped up.

I had already been self-studying digital marketing at the time and scuba diving was one of my passions- you could not design a more perfect program. Applying was simply a no brainer. Next thing I knew I was off on a plane back to Bali.

Boot camp was an awesome experience and you'll have fun bonding with your fellow interns. Anna, the founder and probably the main teacher, is a smart cookie- even if you come in with a bit of a digital marketing background I'm sure you'll learn a lot. After a month in Bali, I was off to Komodo where I enjoyed some of the best diving on Earth for five months! Mantas, pristine coral reefs, and a never-ending diversity of fish became part of the daily routine. The office work was nothing too overbearing- I found it to be a fantastic way to beef up my portfolio.

I was sad for the internship to end but that didn't mean I had to go! The Paradise Interns network helped me land a job as a Marketing Manager for a dive shop. This program seriously laid the framework for my future career- I do not know what I would be doing without Paradise Interns.

Nicole

Keep the pineapple hustlin' ...

I had a great time doing the Digital Marketing Internship with Paradise Interns! I could improve my skills in social media marketing, learn more about marketing in general, which should always be included when learning about social media. As a non-diver I had the greatest time on Bali, working mostly remote. I had lots of free time to do trips around Bali or just enjoy the day. If you're a diver, you get free diving every day. What I enjoyed a lot during the boot camp was the learning atmosphere, the location next to the beach and that beautiful rooftop. And I liked the food :) I would recommend to book at least berakfast & lunch ...
Anna was super helpful anytime I had questions, she is a boss babe and super fun!

And yes.... first it sounds too good to be true, but it is real!

Meg

A life altering experience

I’ve been freelancing and learning about social media marketing for the past 3 years, but I’ve never been to Asia, and I had never done scuba diving. When arriving to Indonesia I was met with the friendliest locals, and the other incredible interns.

The first month boot camp was very intense, but I learned so much and it really sharpened my marketing skills. My placement on Gili Air and with the dive shop was spot on! I connected with the staff there immediately, making lasting friendships. The dive shop manager was also my instructor, and he guided me (very patiently) through all of my courses. I was able to dive nearly every day!

The life after diving was equally as amazing. Gili Air has no motor vehicles, only bicycles and horse carts. Everyone here, expats and locals, and amazing people. Genuinely kind, incredible humans. There’s a great balance of night life and chill days.

I love it so much I was able to find a job on Gili Air, and am still living here! Doing this internship was a spontaneous decision, but it changed the direction of my life in the best possibility. The opportunities, the friendships, the culture, the experiences that this internship offers are just magnificent!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would bring better equipment. ie: computer, camera, phone, and other things that help with scuba diving and SMM
Crysta

Where do I start!?

So, probably like everyone else, I thought (after finding a post on a scuba facebook group) this is too good to be true.
I was planning on doing some travelling anyway, so if it fell through, not a big deal! I didn't even expect to get a place to be honest as I had no background in marketing, I just thought it was pretty amazing to be able to get my Dive Master cert in Indonesia.
Honestly, boot camp was very hard for me, I started from nothing, I didn't even know the lingo. After four weeks, however, I felt like I had learnt so much, more than anything I'd learnt in university and that was a three-year course! So, I am super grateful for all the information Anna and Jen filled my head with, they are great teachers and were very understanding when I was a bit slow with some things.
I was posted on Gili Trawangan at a brand new dive shop, so a lot of the designs in brand guidelines were completely new, which was fun to create and to then see the shop fill up with designs I'd made. Over the five months I stayed on Gili T, I learnt more than social media marketing, I learnt a little bit of bahasa Indonesian, how dive shops work behind the scenes, to live away from home and be completely independent.
My Dive Master training was great, I had such a good mentor and I was able to dive one to two times a day, almost every day, in some of the most beautiful dive sites I'd ever seen. I've made so many memories and close friends being out here and can't quite believe how it has all turned out. It has really changed my life.
Now I am working for the dive shop I interned at, they were very happy with my work and offered me a job to carry on what I'd been doing for the past five months. Now I can call this amazing paradise my home and now I have an extended island family too!
This has been an experience of a lifetime and it's still going.

When I signed up there was very little information, but now I see it all over Facebook and Instagram so that improvement is already improving. ;)

I can't say I had any problems with the internship, at the time maybe I thought the boot camp was too intense, but I wouldn't have learnt as much as I have, if not.

Pim

Digital nomad bootcamp

I was looking for a place to do my dm in Komodo, so I emailed a bunch of dive shops asking if it was possible to do some marketing related stuff in exchange for a dmt. One of the diveshops pointed me out to the Paradise interns program and I got super excited about the opportunity, the first month was quite intens but we’ve learned more about social media then I could’ve ever dreamed of!

The five months after the bootcamp I was placed at a diveshop in Komodo, so my dream of doing the dmt in Komodo and working as a social media manager came trough after all.

More free pineapples
Dawn

Best decision I ever made!

I can safely say that Paradise Interns was a life changing opportunity for me. Having the opportunity to spend 6 months in Indonesia, get my dive master and learn such a wide variety of social media marketing skills was truly eye opening.

Paradise Interns shows you the ropes of what it takes to be a social media marketer, by introducing you to programs such as buffer, canva, IFTTT, mail chimp and many more. The whole first month is dedicated to ensuring you have the skills to run a whole social media operation for a real life dive company. You learn how to create brand guidelines, create and schedule content, find a 'brand voice' and how to be consistent when it comes to posting and interacting with your followers. Not only this but your voice gets to shine through too as you get to write and produce your own blog posts. Theres so much more that you learn with the whole Paradise Interns crew within the first month of being an intern, not just social media skills, but also what it takes to be a part of the whole 'digital nomad' culture in terms of mindset and focus. You meet like-minded people looking to get involved in a like-minded lifestyle.

Once the first month is done, you are sent off to your placement that Anna has hand-selected for you. She places you where she sees your personality to be a best fit, which she chose perfectly for me. Being placed in Komodo was one of the best experiences of my life, with world-class diving and wonderful people. I could not have asked for a better place to learn and develop my independence. I loved the whole program so much that I completed my IDC and have gone on to find work here in Labuan Bajo.

The founder of Paradise interns, Annam is one of the best mentors you will ever have. Anna was extremely helpful when it came to finding accommodation and sorting things out. Not only this, but Anna's always available to speak to if you have questions, concerns or you simply need a chat.

There are so many options for new interns now, it isn't just for savvy divers. The company has internships across a vast range of companies. They have spots at non-profit organisations, dive resorts, conservation groups, health and fitness, food and beverage companies and many other up and coming businesses here in Indonesia!

To all of you out there that are considering this program, just apply, I promise you won't regret it.

I would say a longer program! ;)

I'd love to have a placement for a year, to really get immersed into it.