IES Internships Milan Summer - Internship

IES Internships Milan Summer - Internship

Intern in the economic, fashion and financial hub of Italy. You can practically feel Italy's pulse in fast-paced Milan. Getting to work is affordable with the tram, subway and bus systems. For lunch, grab a quick bowl of minestrone with your coworkers, or fill up on risotto alla Milanese or the regions's famed ossobuco.

An IES internship develops your professional skills, your ability to communicate across cultures, and provides substantive work experience to jump-start your career in today’s competitive job market. The optional language class increases your Italian language proficiency and fluency.

• Before you go, we work with you to fine-tune your rsum, perfect your cover letter, and hone your communication and interview skills as we prepare you for working in a new cultural environment.
  • You'll be guaranteed a placement at a local business or organization where you will work up to 40 hours a week.
  • Develop your professional skills and gain substantive work experience to jump-start your career in today's competitive job market.
  • Share a furnished apartment with a fully-equipped kitchen with three to five IES Interns.
  • Get to know Milan through extracurricular activities and cultural events.
Europe » Italy » Milan

Kendall
Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Summer in Milan

Over Christmas break this past year I sat on my computer and looked at various different study abroad websites. I knew that I wanted to study abroad, but I also knew that I needed to build my resume during the. When I came across the IES Abroad Internship Program, I knew that it was a perfect fit. Not only could I spend an amazing summer in Milan, Italy, but also gain cultural and work experience while doing it! I worked for a tour guide business called Autostradale doing event planning and marketing. The workers were so helpful and welcoming and we still keep contact. I learned so much from them over the course of two months, and they continuously told me they learned from me as well. I also got to travel on the weekends with my new friends and visit beautiful countries such as Spain, Greece, Prague, and Monaco. Milan’s northern location in Italy made it very easy to travel by both train and plane. The friendships I built are still alive and well in the United States and we plan on visiting each other soon! I have had several job interviews in the past month and they have all asked me about my internship. It definitely built my resume and added global knowledge to my background. It was a wonderful experience that I will cherish forever!

Alex
miami, USA
University of Miami

Business in Milano

Before my arrival to Milan, I was terrified. As I sat near Gate 10 waiting to board my eight-hour flight, I thought about all the things that could go wrong. What if I am not prepared at all for my internship? What if I get lost? It was hard to imagine myself working in an entirely different country for two months.
As I got closer to Milan, things began to get more real. I had to trust my instincts and trust that my previous travel experiences had taught me enough. I arrived safe and sound to Milan, was greeted warmly by IES staff and was put in a cab to my new home, Via Pontaccio 15. As I anxiously peered out of the window of my taxi and inhaled the Milanese air, I realized that while I thought about all the things that could go wrong in Milan, I did not consider everything that could go right. It was then that I started to imagine my new life in Milan (if only for two months). What if I found a permanent job here? What if I became completely fluent in Italian? What if I never leave?
These new exciting thoughts flooded my brain as I pulled up to my chic Milanese apartment in the Brera area of Milan. I was taken aback by how comfortable and right at home I felt right away.
The following week, I started my job as an intern with Promos, a business event planning company within the Milan Chamber of Commerce. All of the staff were so warm and understanding of my language barrier and worked with me every step of the way. I had the opportunity to have my own desk, equipped with my own computer and phone—I felt like a real employee.
On my second day with the company, I was already helping the company with necessary duties at a private event to have it run smoothly! I was surprised at how quickly I was helping the company in a very hands-on way. Throughout my work experience with Promos, I had the opportunity to visit the World Expo Fair, which was an incredible adventure.
With Promos, I was respected, and was able to become very close to my co-workers, while also learning so much about Italian business culture. I wouldn’t trade my unique experience for the world. I am thankful to have been placed with such an amazing company in an amazing city.

I would suggest the program look more into who they are admitting into the program.

Brielle
Bloomington, IN
Indiana University- Bloomington

Everyone says the same thing because it's true, IT'S WORTH IT

There are so many stories I could tell but I'll share this one because it shows a good lesson.
My internship placement was in a startup building with other companies. One guy in the building had a videographer who needed an English speaker for another project he was working on. I had made friends with everyone in the office so he asked me if I'd be interested in being in the videos. I said yes, it sounded fun! To film the scenes I got to see more places around the city and I even got 200 euros out of it!
My point is take every opportunity that comes your way, that's how I made the most of my trip. And I left Italy with more connections, friendships, knowledge, and memories than I ever thought I would make.

Elizabeth
Bloomington, IN
Indiana University- Bloomington

Milan Publishing Internship

I absolutely loved having the experience of doing an internship abroad; I was able to gain valuable work experience in my field while experiencing a different culture and taking advantage of the many opportunities to travel.

However, I would caution that my experience was based on my getting the internship that I needed for my professional goals. Some people ended up with internships in kind of random organizations, and to me that would not have been worth it - the cultural immersion was still there, but the classes offered through IES were not particularly valuable.

The internship seminar, which was required by my home school and IES, was not particularly useful. It could be changed to take up fewer hours and offer more concrete lessons.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to