Paid/Unpaid Internships Across Japan (+Uni-Credits) via Meiji Academy

Apply now for your Autumn/Winter internship 2018/19!

It's time to apply at Meiji Academy to find your Autumn/Winter internship 2018/19!
Fill out our non-binding Study Estimate and we will contact you to customize your Study and Internship Program in Japan.
*There is a 10% discount, if you apply until 31st August!

Meiji Academy is your Gateway to working and living in Japan!
We help you to find an internship tailored to your interests and goals.

Meiji Academy has partnered with over 100 companies in Fukuoka, where we are headquartered, and 350 companies all over Japan. Our partner companies are from a wide range of industries, which makes it easy for us to find an internship that suits you best!

Before you start your internship, you can also study the Japanese language in one of our Japanese courses, to prepare for your internship. We offer a course on Japanese Business language and manners to help you get familiar with the Japanese working life.

In addition, we help you arranging your stay in Japan from the very beginning. We offer different kinds of accommodation, like private apartments, shared flats and home-stay with a family. During your whole stay with us, we will also assist you with any questions or problems you might have and offer an abundance of social activities for you to join.

• Gain work experience in global Japanese companies and make direct business contacts!
  • Choose from several industries, according to your interests and talents!
  • Learn business Japanese from teachers who have in-depth knowledge about the Japanese business world!
  • Experience the Japanese way of living, choosing among a Japanese host family, an international dormitory / share house, or in your own apartment!
  • Take part in social events and day trips, allowing you to make new friends from all over the world!

Megan

Summer in Hokkaido

My time in Sapporo was absolutely astonishing! So many new things to experience everyday in this lovely town far up the north of Japan. Everything was beyond my expectations and I have learned so much during my time in my hospitality and tourism internship. It is really essential to make use of your key advantages as a foreigner, which is: your language and different mindset! Japanese people really appreciated my active approach and were always so kind, patient and welcoming. First I feared that other staff would see me as a burden and be cold towards me. Especially due to my Japanese being very very basic. Soon I was proven wrong! It was completely the opposite! Everybody was cheering me up, being always positive and tried their best to help me succeed in my tasks at managing and dealing with customer requests. Meiji Academy was accommodating and supportive throughout my experience. They even had local staff who visited me and assisted me with any questions I had. I have to say that sometimes it is even better to try new things by yourself than relying too much on others. This Summer was definitely unforgettable.

Sometimes less communication might be better. I do think interns should also have the chance to perform tasks by themselves without too much help from you guys. Nothing to complain about, just a small note from my side. Hope to see you all soon!
Clara

Digital Marketing Internship

My internship was such a great experience. It was for me the second time in Asia but first time in Japan last Summer. My internship was in a digital marketing role to help advertise our new product to customers in Europe. I was also able to perform a customer market research to see how the response rate was for our products to Western customers.

The staff at Meiji was super friendly and helped me throughout the process. Just make sure to do the business workshop before as it really helps with overcoming the cultural differences. Japanese business world is really another level of communication and maneuvering around the hidden traps.

Everything was great!

I loved it!!

My two months business development internship was amazing! I was involved with digital marketing and also a project to research overseas customers for a new project they planned to launch in Europe. I highly recommend the business workshop. It paid off for making valuable business contacts in the end. Business Ettiquetts in Japan are really a big thing. Some people can get easily offended if you don't treat their business card with respect or don't know what "KY" is. So many hidden traps in Japan's business world...sigh

Everything was great!
Marie

Priceless chance for an international career

First of all I should mention, I haven’t had a chance to do a professional internship placement before and this was my very first time outside of Europe (Turkey was the most exotic country I’ve been to so far). So for somebody who is inexperienced and a limited amount of Japanese knowledge, I was very grateful to be placed in a business internship. My company was specializing on local government promotion for foreign tourists. On my first day I was super scared, but thanks to my friendly co-workers I started to get used to the whole day-to-day work routine in less than a week. The business workshop and Japanese courses at Meiji definitely helped a lot before I started my internship.

Maximilian

Event Management Internship

Challenging, fast pace, always busy and never boring. Thats how i could describe my two months internship i had at an event management company here in Fukuoka. One has to understand doing an internship here in japan won't give you any special status of treatment by the other staff. I haven't received extra care and was treated like every other employee, which was a very good thing! Respect and trust was earned through hard work and i was even appointed the responsibility to lead my own student event from beginning to end.

A great thing working for an event company is you see so many business facets from planing the event, to doing the promotion and also managing the overall budget for it.

I learned so much from this experience and made valuable business contacts for my future career. Japan we will meet sooner than later!! Arigato!!!

The staff at Meiji Academy did a great job and were very supportive throughout my internship. If there is anything that could be improved it would be making people more aware of how important it is to do some Japanese studies before the internship. I was lucky enough that I did the business workshop and three weeks of Japanese. My other friend skipped it and the difference was later so obvious in the internship.
Betty

Japan's Silicon Valley

I have never been to Japan and the temptation was really big to make the move. It just felt so exciting and arousing at the same time to go to a place I have never been and where the culture is completely different from back home. Tokyo, Kyoto and the other cities seemed too overrated and did not really caught my attention. So why not go somewhere most people even haven't heard of: Fukuoka! I decided to give is a chance and the good news: I have not regret it any single day! Vibrant nightlife, endless shopping opportunities, unique local culture & food, Fukuoka got me in a heart beat. It is unbeatable my favorite destination to work and live, not just in Japan. What made my time truly amazing where the people around me, my co-workers, fellow Meiji interns and the local friends I made in my time there. Make sure to get out of your lazy mode and into some fun adventures with the cultural activities organized by Meiji’s network! Especially the weekend trips to hot springs and Kimono wearing events were lovely!

Anybody who wants to feel the real side of Japan’s international startup scene and is on a limited budget should definitely give Fukuoka a chance!!

I found it sometimes difficult to adapt to the food and I think it would be better, if you guys would also give more information on Vegan/Vegetarian restaurants to eat.
Hans

Absolutely mindblowing time in Okinawa!

I did my internship in a water sports company. They organize several types of tourist tours for water sports activities. From snorkeling, SUP, diving, surfing up to Banana board riding. My hometown in Germany is great sea port city in North Germany, so naturally I am attracted to the sea.
When I was looking for an internship in Japan, I wanted to do something fun and outdoor. Meiji Academy listened to my wishes and found me this great internship, where I could also develop my communication skills and experience customer dealings first hand. I had a really goo time and some crazy experiences such as the "Ocean Walking" with the astronaut helmets! haha Check out the photos

I highly recommend Meiji Academy and wish to come back to Japan in the near future! Thanks for everything!!

Everything was great. Meiji Academy was very responsive to all my inquiries and also introduced me to some local staff they had on site with my host company.
Valentine

Hostel internship in Tokyo

I’m a 18 year old student from Switzerland who had close to zero working experience. I never thought I could have the opportunity to work in Japan but thanks to Meiji Academy, I was able to do it without any difficulty. Meiji academy found me a great internship in a Hostel in Asakusa, the traditional cultural center of Tokyo! I was very worried but thanks to the amazingly supportive teachers of Meiji academy and my private business lessons there, I was able to come on my first day very confidently. All of the hostel staff and higher-ups were super welcoming, caring and ready to guide and help me anytime I needed. By working in the tourist hub that is Tokyo, as much for foreigners than for Japanese people, I was able to learn a lot about the hospitality industry, at the same time as having a lot of fun with my colleagues! My tasks included managing the reservations, the check-ins and check-outs, answering the customer questions, guiding them around and more.
I think going abroad is the best way to learn and I highly recommend this program to anyone willing to challenge himself while still feeling really secured thanks to Meiji Acdemy’s great support !

Scott

Fresh Autumn Days with a Hot Internship!

I did my internship in a hot spring/hotel resort on the outside of Fukuoka City. I was so lucky enjoying the best of both worlds, relaxing countryside with unlimited hot spring baths (almost daily!!) and weekend parties in downtown Fukuoka. Too bad my three months internship was so quick over.

One thing I wanna stress out is, make sure to see Kyushu's countryside. It's beautiful and the locals are so friendly and eager making friends with you. If there wouldn't be the language barrier.

Anyway my Japanese got better after three months... Meiji bring me back to Kyushu!!!

Offer more internships in Kyushu's countryside and other cities, not just Fukuoka City. However the program was well structured and good follow up support.
Chiwei

best place for internship ever

I feel really lucky to have experience at such a good place like Meiji Academy. Everyone there is really nice and helpful and it is difficult to feel gap between colleagues or stress from superiors as they treat people fairly. Also working environment is really nice, you can have tea, coffee while you are working and also there is no need to worry about being blamed by having a small break. in terms of work, it was my first time to do those work, so it was all fresh to me, and I did learn a lot like how to write a blog efficiently.
Finally, What I want to say is if you are interested in Japan, but haven't found a way to lead you there. Meiji would be the best choice for you as they got very good connection to locals but they also know how to help new comers to adapt themselves to the new environment in Japan. So if you still have no idea if you should try Meiji, just directly contact them and then you will find your gate to Japan.

more variable tasks and networking events would be great.
Marie

Law Internship in Nippon!

I have never thought it is possible to do a law internship in Japan. It always felt to me like being one of the industries, which is difficult to enter especially the language barrier, seemed a big obstacle. However Meiji Academy undertook a lot of effort to find me an internship related to patents and copyright infringements.

My main duties were focused on translation of documents, dealing with foreign customer enquiries, attending and setting up client meetings in advance. Experiencing how contract negotiations are done in Japan from first hand was an invaluable experience. I am really thankful for making this great internship possible. Merci and Arigatoo Gozaimasu Meiji!!!

Rachel

Unforgettable Memories in Fukuoka

Previously I have studied abroad in Japan for a whole year, but what this internship experience taught me was above my expectations. Meiji Academy has guided me throughout the whole process and invested a lot of effort to organize me a personally tailored internship in a logistics company.

At first I was a very concerned if I would be able communicating with my Japanese colleagues. The cultural differences and social interaction seemed so complex in a corporate environment. Luckily the counseling and coaching workshops I received from Meiji Academy beforehand helped me a lot with overcoming these hurdles. My fellow colleagues were also really keen on helping me in understanding cultural peculiarities. They were very patient and answered all my questions I had related to how the workflow is being done. After an amazing six weeks my internship was already over and it was a very heartbreaking farewell with my colleagues…they even came to the airport with me…

Meiji Academy thanks for everything you did in making this internship possible.

About Meiji Academy

Your journey starts here! We're here to help you learn Japanese, find work, enjoy Japan, and integrate into the culture. Our variety of Japanese courses with a focus on conversational Japanese combined with cultural excursions and activities will...