Japan Internships with Meiji Internships

Great company - Great internship: Explore the corporate life in Tokyo!
Great company - Great internship: Explore the corporate life in Tokyo!
Business Event in Fukuoka
Business Event in Fukuoka
Make new friends & eat your heart away in Osaka!
Make new friends & eat your heart away in Osaka!
Cherry blossom viewing party in Spring.
Cherry blossom viewing party in Spring.
Fun times will not come up short during your internship!
Fun times will not come up short during your internship!
Trying on traditional Japanese Yukata with our Meiji Interns
Trying on traditional Japanese Yukata with our Meiji Interns
Do you know the proper Shrine etiquette? No worries, you will learn everything you need to know on our culture tours.
One of many intercultural events. This time: Baking Italian Pizza.
One of many intercultural events. This time: Baking Italian Pizza.

Moving to Japan is a step into a whole new world. The land of the rising sun is truly timeless – a place where preserving ancient traditions and embracing modernity is balanced. As the third largest national economy in the world in terms of nominal GDP, Japan offers career opportunities in many different industries.

Travel, work, and live in some of Japan’s most beautiful places:
・Wander through Kitakyushu’s flower tunnels.
・Chase the best views of Mount Fuji.
・Explore the bamboo forest in the heart of Kyoto.
・Soak in an Onsen in Hokkaido, a classic Japanese experience.
・Eat your heart out in Japan’s food capital Osaka.

As your gateway to Asia, Meiji Internships will accompany you throughout your journey. Kick-start your international career with an unforgettable internship adventure in your industry and destination of choice. We work with an extended network of 750+ partner companies in 8 countries to help pave the way for your future!

• Fully Customizable: Choose from several industries and destinations according to your interests and talents.
  • Networking Opportunities: Gain work experience in global Japanese companies and establish crucial business connections to kickstart your future international career.
  • University Credit: University accredited internships in all major industries with 750+ host companies ranging from multinational corporations to innovative start-ups and influential NGOs across Asia.
  • Personal Development: Grow personally as well as professionally by challenging yourself every day through new and exciting projects.
  • Once-in-a-lifetime Experience: Step out of your comfort zone and start exploring Asia! Take part in social activities, allowing you to make new friends from all over the world!

Popular Programs

Group of interns posing and smiling together

Tokyo: The biggest metropolis in the world where future meets past!
From futuristic Akihabara and the bustling shopping district of Shinjuku to ancient Asakusa with its centuries-old temples, there is so much to discover!

Living in Japan, especially Tokyo, is a true adventure. But you've got nothing to worry about because when you arrive jet-lagged in the never-sleeping city to start your internship, everything will be ready for you to get settled and kickstart your career with Meiji!

interns smiling

Fukuoka has a long history of international relations and is known as the gateway into Japan. It's the perfect place for Japan first-timers because it’s cosmopolitan, yet green & livable.

Inside Fukuoka you can get anywhere by bike in less than 30 mins. A relaxing day at the beach or hiking in the mountains - all in one city! Even the airport is just 10 mins from the city!

On top of that, Fukuoka is THE Start-up city in Asia! Take the chance to intern in this vibrant environment!

Group of interns smiling in Japan

Choose Explore Japan if the place you want to go to is not part of our other programs. If you would like to get out of the big city, enjoy locally grown food, and explore a region rich in history, spectacular options await you:

From the bamboo forest in the heart of Kyoto, to snowy Hokkaido or eating your heart out in Japan’s food capital Osaka.

As your gateway into Asia, Meiji will fully assist you on your journey to work, travel and live abroad. Are you ready to embark on your adventure?

Language requirements vary greatly between countries, industries, and companies. Usually, the main working language is English, therefore, fluency in English is essential. However, having some knowledge of the local language will certainly be an asset, not only when communicating with colleagues, but also in daily life situations.

Yes, we do. However, depending on the destination and current availability, law companies might ask for specific prerequisites, e.g. foreign language abilities, relevant work experience and basic knowledge of applicable laws.

The age limit for the internship program is 16 to 30 years.

Zhiwei

An experience in Japanese company

The match of the company is really good. It match with your experience and provides you business workshops through powerpoint and YouTube videos. The housing in Japan, especially in Tokyo is very hard, so the housing may be little bit far from your workplace, but that doesn;t matter as Japan has a perfect transportation system. They do organise activities during your internship, which is usually on weekends, so you could meeting with other interns with Meiji. Meiji also support with your SIM card, normally data only, so make sure you have your number prepared or if you have an over 90 days visa, you are able to buy one anyway. They provide 2000 Japanese Yen transportation support which definitely help you to pass the first week, and then, since you get familiar with the place. You could deal it by yourself. Overall, it is a great experience.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I am able to join all activities during my placement with my host company. i have been to lot of places and able to expand my network wider in Japan which is exactly what I want. Other things are like nomihoudai (drinking party) after work and on weekends, that was fantastic and I love it!
Juliette

Interning in the capital of Japan

I am majoring in economics and applied for a business development internship in Japan. Japanese people are very welcoming and I felt at home from the first day of work. As my tasks were quite basic in the beginning, I was afraid that I would get bored at some point, but I got more important tasks after a few days. I have gained lots of useful knowledge about business!
Tokyo is an amazing city with lots of activities to do and places to visit. We had weekly meetings with other interns from Meiji. It was a good opportunity to meet some people and have fun together. I hope I will be able to go to Japan again in the future because it made me want to visit other cities in Japan!

Dominik

NGO internship in Fukuoka

When I went to Japan last year, I taught English to disabled children in Fukuoka. It was a very enriching experience to get involved in such an eye-opening adventure. The NGO was based in Kyushu, they had some branches in Fukuoka prefecture, Kumamoto prefecture and Miyazaki prefecture.
I am studying psychology at uni, and I am very interested in education. I already had several involvements with some associations in Germany but this time I wanted to go abroad and experience a different culture. It was an ambitious challenge and I gained many skills and a great understanding of Japanese society.

Jeanne

Photography internship

One of the best decisions I have made so far: doing an internship in Japan ! I am proud to say that I have been doing a photography internship in Tokyo, this is not something that everybody can say. I think that is it a chance to be able to have this kind of experience at my age.
I have never been to Japan before, so it was a great opportunity to visit Tokyo and the surroundings. We often went outside to take portraits in the streets or in some parks, visiting some nice places at the same time, that were my favourite moments ! I am also happy that I could improve my Japanese while interning there.

Elijah

Incredible adventure in Tokyo

Having work experience in Japan is something that makes your CV shine! It means several things: you are capable of adapting to an unfamiliar environment, you challenge yourself while stepping out of your comfort zone and you learned from people who are known for being hard workers. I had the chance to be accepted by a company in Tokyo. Living there is quite expansive but I saved up for this internship, and you have everything you need in this enormous city so that's very convenient! I applied for a hospitality internship, and I chose Japan because Japanese hotels have a very good reputation and I wanted to learn from them. Now I can say that they really had high-quality services that made me proud of working there.

Lianne

Trading & Logistics Internship

I worked with an immense amount of data, and sometimes that was a bit of a challenge for me. Especially because in the beginning, I did not know my company’s work processes. But after I voiced some concerns, my colleagues sat me down and helped me better understand my tasks and the company. There were times when I had to hurry a little to meet deadlines, but most of the time, I could work at my own pace.
I think Meiji did a good job because the internship was exactly what I was looking for. For university credits, I needed an internship that had something to do with international trades, so it was a good match. I was actually surprised they managed to meet my expectations that wonderfully! For some people living in Tokyo might seem scary or confusing, but I liked it a lot. Also, I feel like it teaches you a lot to intern in a company in the capital because you can observe trade and shipping on an international scale. In Tokyo, there is also a lot to do so you won’t get bored! I really liked my experience overall.

Diana

Great Experience

Meiji is a great choice if you are thinking about doing an internship or studying Japanese in Japan. The application process is easy and straight forward. The staff is helpful, and the communication is great. Meiji helps you with finding a great internship in the field(s) that interest you, provide accommodation and also offers Japanese classes if you want to improve your Japanese before starting your internship. The communication with the staff working for Meiji is excellent. They keep you updated about the application process and quickly answer any question you might have. Finding the right company was quick in my case. I really like the internship I am currently doing, and I definitely would do it again. Meiji offers a great service and an internship in Japan is definitely a good way to build your resume.

Be open to new experiences and keep an open mind. Living abroad is an adventure and can be a lot of fun. It won’t always be easy but you learn a lot and you’ll grow as a person.
Matteo

Happiness in the middle of nowhere

Last winter, I did a 3-months internship in Japan. I am from a very traditional town in Southern Italy, which is why I didn’t want to go to a city that is as crazy big as Tokyo or Kyoto. Fortunately, Meiji offers the Explore Japan internship program, which allowed me to specify my location goals. Although I didn’t think it would be possible, they found me an internship in my dream location: Hokkaido!

Yes, it was very cold. Yes, it was a bit secluded. But it was exactly what I was looking for in my internship. My company was a Ski resort/traditional Japanese ryokan (like a bed and breakfast) which opened around 2015. Since I see myself working in Tourism & Hospitality in the future, it was the perfect match. Most of my tasks revolved around customer service and a bit of marketing: checking in guests, helping with the rooms, taking photos and promoting the place on social media and external partner websites. Sometimes, I would work outside on the mountain side and help with ski lessons. It was possibly the most adventurous internship I will ever have and I loved every minute of it!

The weather can be very extreme. If you want to intern in a company like mine be prepared to work outside in up to -20 degrees celsius conditions. Also, warm clothes are a must. And I can recommend having an international driving license as it will help you get around and explore the beautiful environment!
serina

Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone

I’ve been very hesitant about going to Japan since this would be my first time living apart from my parents and my friends. I thought that this was going to be too much for me since I have no idea about the first thing about independent living. (I don’t even know how to do laundry) but nevertheless, I just went for it since here lies the opportunity for me to learn not only something in my chosen industry but for me to be able to do some growing up on my own; This leap of faith is the best thing I ever did. I met tons of people, made a lot of friends, learned a lot from my very generous mentor. I just fell in love with the people and the place! I really am gonna miss the people I’ve met here. They were all so wonderful. <333333333333333333

I advice future travelers to pack light, always keep in mind how heavy your luggage is going to be when you go on a shopping-spree, do not buy the data/internet thing at the airport because there's cheaper ones in Bic Camera, Pack rubbershoes or a very comfortable footwear for walking because you're going to do lots of walking, and for the most important part, be open and talk to people! have fun!! :)
Nathaniel

One of a kind agency

Meiji Internships were very helpful and not only found me an internship placement in my industry of choice but took care of all paperwork, everyday affairs, visa questions and accommodation. Which makes all the difference when you arrive to a foreign country and are lost unless someone helps you. The full-on work experience taught me so much and prepared me for future jobs in HR and consulting. I have learnt more during my internship than I ever did in any classes at university. I especially enjoyed one project I worked on with people from all around the world. This was a very unique opportunity to work on my intercultural skills.
I am very grateful for Meiji Internships' care and support. I recommend them as the best out there. They are one of a kind!

Sam

Setting new goals

I chose to come to Kyoto because it was a city I had visited before and knew it was a place I wanted to return to. There’s so much to do - culture, city, nature - and I wanted to give myself time to explore it all in greater depth and with more time on my hands. My internship allowed me to simultaneously learn about a different side of Japan: gender inequality. I worked in a start-up that mainly hired women. But that is by far not the norm. Usually, companies are run by men and women earn a lot less. If you look at numbers, it’s even crazier: Most working women are part-time employees, receiving small salaries and few benefits. Thanks to great networking opportunities, I got in touch with some more NGOs that work towards gender equality during my time. I am currently at uni, majoring in Gender studies. I am certain that I will return to Japan and make a difference. That’s my goal!

Rick

Tokyo - my temporary home

Interning abroad is a one of a kind experience and such a unique opportunity to see the world from a different perspective while you’re young. I was slightly skeptical about the whole thing, but after interning with my company for about 2 weeks, I got the hang of it. The only thing that bugged me til the end of my stay was the fact that I did not know any Japanese. I wish I would have studied it more before coming to Japan because I never knew what my colleagues were talking about with one another. My favourite thing, however, was living in Tokyo. You don’t need to be a city slicker to love it. There are so many awesome getaways to places like Nikko, Mt Fuji, Hakone, Enoshima, Kamakura etc etc. Just get yourself a map of the Tokyo area, find something that sounds cool and go for it! I promise you it will make an awesome weekend getaway!

If you are uncertain whether or not to intern in the land of the rising sun, freaking go for it!

What was your funniest moment?
Karaoke with strangers! A group of random Japanese students just entered our Karaoke box by mistake and made friends with the Meiji interns. That was so funny and unforgetable. Only in Japan! haha
Julia

Internship in Tokyo: An honest review

Let me make this clear: I had a great time in Japan! However, I will be completely honest about my experience.
I signed up for a PR & Marketing / Business Development Internship in Japan. 2 months after applying, I had a Skype interview with my prospective host company. They asked me about my work experience (I have only done a short internship in High School so far) and my skills (I am in the 6th Semester of Business Administration). The company left a positive impression on me, so I decided to follow through with the internship. Having booked the Standard Package, Meiji arranged accommodation, a transportation and sim card and airport pick-up for me. Therefore, my arrival to Tokyo was very easy and I had no worries. I stayed in a ShareHouse with three other girls. One was French, two were American. I was hoping for a fellow German to exchange worries in my mother tongue, but my flat mates were very nice as well. I arrived on a Thursday. Friday I used to recover from my jet lag. On Saturday, Meiji hosted a cultural activity which I joined with one of my American flatmates. I was a lot of fun! On Sunday, we explored the city and went for Sushi. My first day of work was on Monday. I got to the office at 9am and met the president of the company as well as my colleagues. They taught me a lot and gave me great confidence that I should continue on following my dreams of having my own PR company one day. My tasks were not as exciting as I had hoped in the beginning (primarily proof reading and writing texts for SNS). But it makes sense, because I don’t really have any work experience. As time went by, my company entrusted me with more diverse tasks, which I loved! I highly recommend staying longer than 2 months because it takes some time to get the hang of it all. I stayed for 3 months and had a wonderful time overall.

Be aware of hidden costs! When budgeting for your stay abroad don’t just think of accommodation. Also think of transportation, going out, events, travelling, shopping, groceries, beauty products, lunch, etc. If you are on a budget, I can advise you to research all these prices before you go.
James

Teaching in Fukuoka

After applying for internships in Japan through Meiji Internships I was able to gain teaching experience in Fukuoka. My work was usually from 2-10 pm, where I advanced from a teaching assistant to running my own classes. My students were a pleasure to teach and I formed many good friendships with them that I hope to stay in touch with. My accomodation was simple but perfectly adequate and only a 25 minute walk to work. The area around my flat was excellent, as it included everything I could need: restaurants, shops, a subway, and sightseeing. On the weekends and I was able to explore Kyushu and experience so much that Japan had to offer. My major recommendation is Beppu, a city with amazingly coloured hot springs. I also loved trying Japanese food, especially foods that I had never heard of such as motsunabe (of course ramen and sushi were as delicious as you would expect). I highly recommend going to Japan as it is unlike any other country and an experience you will never forget.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Motsunabe, a stew of guts, served with horse sashimi
Audrey

Learning Experience!

I will be starting university in the fall with a double major in engineering and asian studies. As a result, I was hoping to be able to be connected with an engineering internship in Japan through Meiji, but realized this was a stretch considering my lack of prerequisite courses and experience in the field. I was a little hesitant to continue with an internship in tourism and marketing, but ultimately decided it would be a good opportunity to learn about Japanese business and daily life. I also reasoned that it would make doing a future internship in engineering much easier, as I would gain transferable skills and knowledge, as well as have many networking opportunities during my time here. My hopes turned out to be correct, and I was able to accomplish all of these goals and more during my time here! I was also glad that through Meiji I was able to secure an internship where I did actual valued work. I got the chance the organize university trips and create spreads for luxury travel packages (which I especially enjoyed since it gave me some experience in graphic design).

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have chosen to arrange my own accommodation. I try to see every difficulty as a learning experience, but one unnecessary complication to my stay was the sharehouse Meiji arrange for me. I am aware that it is difficult to find quality accommodation in Tokyo for a reasonable price, and I do appreciate the close location of my sharehouse to my internship, but I think it would have been worth the extra cost for me to find a superior accommodation on my own. Maybe it's a personal preference, but the sharehouse was just too dirty for me. I wish that Meiji had taken this into consideration when arranging my accommodation.