GVI: Internships in Nepal

Surrounded by Himalayan mountains, Nepal is home to eight of the highest mountains in the world, with Mount Everest as the tallest. Contribute ethically to projects with short, mid, and long-term sustainable objectives that are measured by the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).

This is a great opportunity to add to your CV and get a headstart in your chosen career path by developing your soft and hard skills in community development, infrastructure, education initiatives, gender equality, child development, workshops supporting economic development, and public health.

When you aren’t on base, join a trekking expedition in the Himalayas, watch the sunrise over Annapurna and Machapuchare mountains from one of Pokhara’s viewpoints, or go on a river rafting adventure.

• Enhance your CV with an ILM Endorsed Leadership Certificate, and improved skills in lesson planning and classroom management.
  • Trek in the Himalayas, and explore caves, ancient ruins, and nearby temples.
  • Connect with people from around the world and local community members.
  • Learn more about ethical sustainable practices and responsible travel.
  • Contribute to the 17 UN SDGs.

GVI global programs are open!

We're thrilled to announce that nine of our global locations are now open, including Greece, Thailand, Nepal, Seychelles, South Africa, Costa Rica and Mexico. We're also taking bookings for our Thailand, Chiang Mai, Lao and Peru locations for 2021. Stay tuned for more locations coming your way soon, including a new location addition in the Canary Islands.

Popular Programs

Interns working with children in Nepal

Join preventative health initiatives focused on raising awareness around sanitation, hygiene, and communicable and non-communicable diseases in Pokhara. Conduct WASH (Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene) initiatives, and assist with first-aid training. At the same time, you will work in collaboration with community members to conduct your own sustainable development project to serve an existing need in the community.

Intern working with young children in Nepal

Learn about different gender dynamics and culture in Nepal, Pokhara, as you assist with educational classes for both women and girls, focusing on literacy and numeracy. Facilitate skill-based workshops, and conduct discussions in local communities on human rights violations and health. You will be contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goal 5: Gender Equality, and can earn your ILM Endorsed Leadership Certification.

Interns teaching a class in Nepal

Gain hands-on experience teaching children and young adults in Pokhara. GVI has a Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy in place to ensure ethical best practices. Practice lesson planning, classroom management, and facilitating conversation English language classes. Learn about culture in Nepal and earn your ILM Endorsed Leadership Certification.

Robert

Life Changing Experience!

My time in Nepal with GVI was truly life-changing. From the moment I got to Nepal, I felt cared for and known. From a thorough orientation and health and safety briefing to Nepali language lessons and a tour around Pokhara, I immediately felt at home. GVI truly lives its mission to create sustainable and just volunteer and internship opportunities. I loved my time teaching English. It was so nice having a Nepali director who taught us how to appropriately teach in a Nepali school. I also enjoyed doing my internship and having some responsibility. Not only was my time working great, GVI allows generous time off on weekends to explore the country you are in. It was an absolutely incredible experience and I would recommend GVI Nepal, and GVI in general to anyone looking for a meaningful volunteer or internship experience overseas.

I would say be prepared to go with the flow and not freak out when you see how crazy the traffic patterns are!
L

An Unforgettable Experience

My interactions with GVI have been nothing short of phenomenal since I sent an inquiry email regarding the Nepal program; I had a phone call back from them within 5 minutes, which thoroughly dismissed any doubts I had and I signed up immediately. Once I landed, I was given an amazing tour of the area and had a lot of opportunities to get to know the area and other volunteers. The work itself was surprisingly fun; it was rewarding, no doubt about it, but most of the time I was enjoying myself and my surroundings so much the work never seemed like too much and I was more than happy to dive in. Seeing the smiles on the faces of the kids during the lessons I taught is a memory I'll never forget. The staff were incredible too, always happy to do what they can to make you feel more comfortable and they created such a friendly atmosphere, they genuinely become more like friends than support staff. I'm already planning to go back, so if you're unsure, send an inquiry right now - it's so quick and simple, and I guarantee after the phone call you'll be ready to book. Happy travels!