Traineeship Digital Transformation Design

Do you want to learn how to change the world with Design Thinking? Our traineeship might be what you are looking for.

During 20 weeks you will be In Digital Society School you will work on a project with one of partners. These projects are clustered around our themed Tracks. At the end you will present an prototype solution to the challenge posed. In addition you will participate in workshops, masterclasses and personal coaching to get you ready for the next step in your career.

As a diverse group of researchers, thinkers and doers we want to shape tomorrow’s society through digital technology, using human-centered design approaches. We think big, start small and are explicitly open, placing our findings at the world’s disposal.

We believe that our digitally fueled future can -and should- be inclusive, intelligent and involve us all. We invite students and professionals from creative industries to join out community.

• the focus of the projects is on sustainability
  • you will use design thinking to solve a real life challenge
  • you will learn to leverage transformative tech
  • you will learn about making and UX design
  • we are based in the centre of Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Since we try to be inclusive we try to not use formal requirements if we can help it. In other words if you can convince one of our program managers that you are a match for one of our projects, you are in. In case you are not an EU citizen however you will need to have a completed Bachelor's degree. This degree should not be older than two years.

• 9-10 rating 57.14%
  • 7-8 rating 28.57%
  • 5-6 rating 14.29%
Dino

Innovative!

Fun and Education at the same time! DSS brings a new way to learn by doing it, experiment it and develop ideas in a unique and safe environment. Thinking outside of the box mindset and cool office vibe. Staff is welcome to everybody and willing to help about any question. You can learn so many things about the digital transformation process and gain practical skills (even in online-remote workstyle) :D
The very friendly atmosphere during the whole 5 months being part of Digital Society School :)

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Choose more workshop courses for gaining new skills :)
1 person found this review helpful.
Response from Digital Society School

I knew your cohort had fun despite everything going on last semester, that much was obvious at the (socially distanced) going away party in the Flevopark.

But I am really grateful for your kind words Dino, thank you very very much.

Helena

Great traineeship for people looking to take first steps in their career

Being part of the DSS community was enriching and fun. I'd definitely recommend this program for students in the graduation year or people taking a shift in their career. As a UX/UI designer I definitely had a lot of freedom in what and how to design. Working with real clients also helps to build your resume and gain industry experience.

Unfortunately I didn't feel as much growth as I was expecting on my own field as the program focuses more on learning a bit about a lot of fields and being the only designer in my group I had to mainly rely on my previous skills. But for people looking for getting the first hands-on experience it is a great please where work & fun is combined.

Be open to learn about a lot of things and participate in a lot of group activities. People of DSS are super knowledgeable and supportive & also super fun.

1 person found this review helpful.
Response from Digital Society School

First off thanks for all the great compliments Helena, I will let everyone here know about the fun you had and how you enjoyed our guidance and support.

Additionally I will definitely look into how we present the program since you indicate you were expecting something a bit different.

Pari

A programme for everyone

An experience that everyone with any background is welcome. Diversity is a key element here and it helps you learn more. You meet people from different specialties and you will hear/learn about different skills from design to coding and much more.This can help you better choose the right path for you in your career and learn how to work with people from different backgrounds.
The staff, coaches and colleagues are very supportive and the atmosphere is very friendly.
I am personally grateful for the experience that I had in DSS :)

1 person found this review helpful.
Response from Digital Society School

I am happy to hear you had such a great time with us Pari.

Even though your team was a little understaffed I think you more than rose up to the challenge.
And it was a joy to see your team collaborate with each other!

Daniel

Good experience if you are willing to try new things

I was starting a career shift when I joined DSS and I enjoyed my project a lot, partly because I think I was really lucky with my team and partners. From what I have heard from other people, this is not always the case since the team and the project are essential for your experience and you can't really choose them 100%. The profiles of the students are very diverse, which is interesting, but usually brings unbalanced teams, and the filtering of the DSS when recruiting is not infallible.
DSS staff are nice and helpful but don't expect them to guide you on every step or go very deep on the subjects during lessons, although you can always get extra time on specific issues from them. Workshops are scarce and provide very basic learning about many different themes, so they look more intended to open your eyes to new areas rather than turning you into an expert on any of them. So it's mostly up to you to make it work, the energy and dedication you want to bring, and the hunger for knowledge you have. Learning from your team members as much as possible is highly recommended, although this can be limited if the course takes place online (on the other hand, workshops and project work ran quite smoothly digitally despite of the inability to use the space at HVA). It's also supposed to be fun, but when online...well is not always fantastic.

1 person found this review helpful.
Response from Digital Society School

I really appreciate your honesty, Daniel. I think you description is accurate and also helps us to pinpoint area's where we want to improve the program. All the teams during the last semester did an exceptional job and your team impressed me with it's aura of calm competence.

Stay in touch and let us know what you get up to in the future!

Zahra

New Experience

Being a researcher for more than 4 years and wanting to learn new techniques in the data science area, connected me with DSS. It was a new experience to work with different nationalities and with people from different backgrounds. I have to emphasize this diversity is very rare, and you do not experience this often! Enrolling in this program was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. It helped me to learn new skills such as Design Thinking and Communication, and it helped me to find solutions in a simple, yet elegant way. I got full support with every problem, and they are there for you if you have any questions. I was working on a project that needed a lot of research. During the project, we had a coach named Abdo, who guided us through this journey. I am so happy that I chose this program since it changed my life! I have learned data science methods as well as soft skills while I was at DSS.

Release the title of the projects, so that people have time to do research and to learn more about them, before enrolling in the program, and choosing the project in less than two hours. Since one has to work 40 hours a week on these projects, they need a subject that they can be passionate about.
1 person found this review helpful.
Response from Digital Society School

You and your team showed great flexibility and resilience in the face of the challenges you faced.

And it's great to see you have managed to use to see you have been able to use it as a springboard to a great new challenge!

Yijun
No, I don't recommend this program

Review

The staff in DSS are nice and helpful and most trainees in DSS are also friendly. In addition, it provides a good opportunity to build your resume, which will help you in your further career. However, for such a traineeship, it is very important to have a good group mates. Especially when the people in your group have a different skill level (for example, someone with a master collaborating with someone who did not even finish a bachelor yet), you might have a worse experience. As a consequence, the final project might be worse and not representative of the skill level of the one with a master.

1 person found this review helpful.
Response from Digital Society School

It was great to have you in our program Yijun!
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to hear that your experience was one that you don't recommend to others.
We will try and make sure to learn from our experiences with your team and do better!

Natalia

Becoming a Digital Transformation Designer at DSS

Having worked in graphic design industry for 2 years prior I have joined the program with a clear goal: to get some European working experience, expand my knowledge and understand what I can do beyond my current profession. The program exceeded my expectations by giving me all I've asked for and more: a solid set of soft skills, far superior understanding of how to solve sustainability-related issues, as well as great design thinking and facilitation methodologies. The program also showed me my capabilities as a professional, gave self-confidence, courage, and great friends.

Make sure to have housing in advance.
Don't be afraid to talk to anybody in DSS, ask for help/advice, there are no bosses there.
Trust the process, commit 100%.
The program is very intense so make sure to have enough time to process it and don't combine it with another job, it works neither for you or for your team.
1 person found this review helpful.
Response from Digital Society School

Thank you so much for your kind words, Natalia!

You impressed me and my colleagues with your curiosity, sense of humor and professionalism. And we are all very curious to see where your career takes you, stay in touch!