GEI Virtual Internship

Are you seeking an online global experience in your field of study that enables you to develop professional skills and get more familiar with working habits in Asia or Africa? This course enables you to develop and apply their theoretical and practical knowledge in a supervised remote community field experience with the help of digital tools. Qualified students will work with a local host organization in one of GEI’s social impact fields, including Mental Health, Maternal & Newborn Health, Education, and Economic Empowerment. You are matched to a project according to their level of study, existing skills and desired fields. A specific work plan is developed in advance of each placement.

In addition, you benefit from a pre-placement orientation, a weekly classroom with interdisciplinary training, and a weekly formal supervisory meeting.

Remote internship placements are available in: SOUTH AFRICA, RWANDA, KENYA and VIETNAM.

• Identify professional and personal values, strengths and interests
  • Navigate technology essential for remote working
  • Develop an increased level of self-efficacy and competency in a specific career field

• 9-10 rating 93.33%
  • 7-8 rating 6.67%
  • Content 9.5
  • Engagement 9.7
  • Platform 9.6
Carolyn

Vietnam - Maternal and Neonatal Health Internship

The GEI coordinators, preceptors and students were nothing but welcoming the entire experience. Though we were in a virtual space, I felt right at home with every orientation and interaction shared. My partner, Huan, was very invested in our project even though we both had rigorous course work outside of the internship. We successfully completed the project which was the beginning to my Master's thesis. I could not be more grateful for this experience and I hope to meet Huan in person one day! Thank you GEI!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
We had to change the direction of our research after the first week to meet competencies for my home university. Though I was very unsure about the experience at this time, the collaboration from all parties demonstrated the flexibility and willingness of GEI for the student's success. In the end, we were able to produce meaningful work.
Jenna

GEI Internship

I truly enjoyed my virtual experience with the GEI team in Vietnam during the Maternal and Neonatal Health research internship. Collaborating with a medical student in Vietnam was the best part of the experience! The GEI team was very approachable for guidance and enthusiastic about the projects. Despite the virtual setting, I was able to form close bonds with my partner and the group and learn about the culture and medicine in Vietnam. This internship is a wonderful opportunity that everyone should take advantage of.

Truc

Prenatal tests in U.S.A and Vietnam

Firstly i would love to offer warmest thanks to GEI, CTUMP and Des Moine University, especially Dr Bao and Haley, without them I just can not complete the presentation well. This internship is wildly fantastic as I can learn a lot from Haley, she is such a good partner. Unfortunately, this intermship not only occurs in my final examination but also the difference about time zone up to 13 hours make us have to burn the midnight oil to finish the project on time, it is such a sad thing that this come to and end, i would love to join more in the future as my knowledge grows

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
It is hard to find some charts or research which has detail numbers come along to support our project, yet, Haley copes with them well, she even finds out the detail numbers even I can't as a native student. That was awesome !!!
Huan

wonderful experience

The first time i have a chance to work with foreigners, my expectations is overwhelming. Clearly, distance cannot stop friendship. Carolyn and i, though over pressuring with each own work, still manage to carry out this project satisfyingly. One big shout out for Carolyn, who mainly do all the work, but still being humble by including my name. I hope that this kind of program would reach lot more of students and interns, the ones who willing to learn. Once again, thank all of the people who helped me to get this experience.

Longer and bigger project would be better for all who involved
Haley

Maternal and Fetal Health - Virtual Internship

I had an excellent experience working with GEI during my virtual internship. I am a fourth-year medical student, going into obstetrics and gynecology, and was very excited to learn more about maternal and fetal health in another country. The best part of my experience was working one-on-one with a medical student from Vietnam. I was able to ask many questions about medicine/medical school in Vietnam and Vietnam in general! This partnership added context and color to the virtual experience. I am very grateful for this opportunity, and would definitely recommend it to other students!

What was your funniest moment?
Messaging with my Vietnamese partner, Vicky, always had me laughing! She has a wonderful sense of humor.
Tran Thi Thuy

A Whole New World!

At the time I apply to this program. I don't have any expectations about it. I just think it's simply like a journey which I can travel on a field never known. But after its end, I realize that I lack many things and this is a chance I can change myself and be a new me!

I choose preeclampsia and eclampsia is my topic. This is a common topic but it is challenge me a lot. I also thanks Aubrey, my partner who help me so much! Thanks to the support from our supervisor, Dr.Bao, and the GEI team support I so great!

Thanks for everything and hope to see all of you soon ^^

What was your funniest moment?
I forget the correct presentation date =))) So I'm like crazy. I prepare all of the things even skincare as well =)) And my friend sends a text to me: "Hey, the correct date is tomorrow. Hang in there. Keep calm." But everything after that is so great! I think this my funniest and most memorable moment. ^^
Melouise

A Worthwhile Experience

I found my time participating in this program and virtual internship to be highly beneficial for my interpersonal communication and professionalism skills. Aside from that, it provided me with the opportunity to expand my worldview and take on a deeper understanding of the perspectives of a culture different from my own. Overall, I found it to be a unique and engaging experience where I received tremendous support from those guiding me. I would recommend it to anyone interested in expanding on their academic learnings and developing real-world experience.

I was unfortunately only able to participate in the program and internship virtually, however, still found it to be worthwhile.
My style is no style?
Hieu

The first online internship I have engaged

In addition to the expertise, there are 3 affairs I ascertained and appreciated most in this internship.

The first was the teamwork skills, notably the esteem of partners and opinions of partners working with us. Because of the knowledge of a firth-year medical student like me and being not so passionate about Obstetrics, I did indeed not expect to earn esteem from "the best partner ever" "the resident physician" Kelsey much like that. Undoubtedly,  the sentences I listened to most during team meetings or video calls were "What do you think? What are your thoughts? Why do you want to do that? ..." and most of my ideas were adopted 😋😋😋. Or any alternations in handout, PowerPoint or poster, she always consulted with me and asked for my permission before any decisions. And from the beginning, we had the intention of altering the topic to Neonatal Resuscitation (which was also attributable to my manipulation and ideas). And in the end, the guidelines of Neonatal Resuscitation between US and Vietnam was rather analogous and we applied general recommendations from an association. Hence, we elected to reselect and keep at the previous topic. Nonetheless, Kelsey asked me a question not erased from my mind. That was "Is there another neonatal topic you are interested in?". Actually, until now, when I am writing this review, I still find that question respectful and a little bit affecting. Heart-felt thanks for all, Kelsey.

The second lesson I ascertained was be bold enough to step out of my comfort zone. I always wish and realize I ought to explore capacities beyond my comfort zone. But it's easy said than done. As Obstetrics did not fascinate me earlier, what I always reckoned in my mind when participating in this internship was "neonatology, neonatology". I was fairly embarrassed while recieving the topic of Postpartum Hemorrhage, although it was truly stimulating and practical. However, since my partner was adorable and respectful of her partner's opinions, my mentor and the organizers was caring and zealous, so I still did it. Subsequently, I considered my topic (or Obtestrics) so attention-grabbing. I assume it was merely because I did not research on it earlier and at the end we had a thriving presentation which was beyond my expectations at the beginning.

And the last was absolutely English and communication skills. I did not opine I would have a great deal of language barriers when taking this internship but in reality I confronted numerous obstacles on the first days. For instance, I made my partner frustrated and upset because of not grasping her meanings and I was unpunctual because of misinterpreting 🤣🤣🤣. Nevertheless, we eventually surmounted all, endeavored to remedy and advance day by day to have an ultimate fruitful presentation. Moreover, at first, I attempted to use advanced vocabularies in Ielts while I was talking or texting but no one could totally fathom, later on, I learned how to use vocabularies which were simple, easy to understand, contextual and more natural 😬😬 😬 ...

And it is certainly indispensable that I express my gratitude, even though I already said and texted all of you. Please permit me to thank you again. The first is to permit me to thank Mr. Bao, thanks a million for your assistance and furthermore during this internship. Although I perceived you to be hectic especially during the quality verification program, when you saw our messages, you immediately replied and obviously elucidated and even recommended documents for us to research more. You are actually caring and zealous. Next, I would like to thanks, Ms. Thuy and Ms. Amy, for always assisting us with all our heart, rescheduling team meetings in accordance with our wishes, sending emails announcing team meetings every week to motivate us. Although I do believe that these was your responsibilities and work, I have to thank you very much, especially spending almost 2 hours on weekend night listening to 2 time-consuming specialized topics. Thanks, Mai, for endeavoring together, comforting, confiding and encouraging in overcoming deadlines. "Together we can". Thanks, Phú, Phúc, Vinh, Minh, for assisting me a lot when writing my CV and during my internship. And last but not least, thank you so so so much, "my best partner ever" Kelsey, for being my partner till the end, always esteeming me, being responsible, working together and supporting each other during this internship. Thank you, everyone. Thanks for everything!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Because of the time difference of up to 13 hours and our hectic college schedules, we had to burn a midnight oil to video call, deliberate and meet dealines on the last days of the internship. Nevertheless, "together we can" and we totally nailed it.