GEI Virtual Internship

Are you seeking an online global experience in your field of study that enables you to develop professional skills and get more familiar with working habits in Asia or Africa? This course enables you to develop and apply their theoretical and practical knowledge in a supervised remote community field experience with the help of digital tools. Qualified students will work with a local host organization in one of GEI’s social impact fields, including Mental Health, Maternal & Newborn Health, Education, and Economic Empowerment. You are matched to a project according to their level of study, existing skills and desired fields. A specific work plan is developed in advance of each placement.

In addition, you benefit from a pre-placement orientation, a weekly classroom with interdisciplinary training, and a weekly formal supervisory meeting.

Remote internship placements are available in: SOUTH AFRICA, RWANDA, KENYA and VIETNAM.

• Identify professional and personal values, strengths and interests
  • Navigate technology essential for remote working
  • Develop an increased level of self-efficacy and competency in a specific career field

• Content 10
  • Engagement 9.8
  • Platform 9.5
Sarah

GEI Virtual Internship

I did a virtual internship through GEI specifically for research related to maternal and newborn health. It was a good experience, although online, it helped me learn more about Vietnam & its culture. It also gave me the opportunity to do research with other students from Vietnam. We produced a paper and a presention. My research was directed by a local professor/doctor and helped me learn much more about vietnamese culture than i anticpiated. The staff at GEI were very friendly and helpful through it all. Overall, I am glad I did this and would do it again!

Phú

An Eye-Opening Experience!

This is the first time I've ever participated in an online internship, not to mention with the American medical student. I was nervous and afraid of my English competency and medical knowledge so I was a bit hesitant. Thanks to the support from my supervisor, I decided to give it a try and it turned out beautifully. Leah - my partner was a great person to teamwork with. She is very smart and nice. On top of that, the GEI team was very supportive which helps us a lot to get through the program. I am glad that I could step out of my comfort zone and do something meaningful to give back to the society. Thank you everyone again for a very memorable and interesting experience. I am looking forward to working with you guys again!

I still think the program can be better if we can have more time interacting with each other beside the work. It's just about cultural exchange and stuffs so we can both learn from each other and that would help a lot to break the ice and get to know the other person on a deeper level.
Nguyen

Review GEI Internship

Engaging in GEI Internship was an eye-opening experience to me. I was not only supported by the instructors but I also broadened my horizon towards Obstetrics topics. The 4-week period enabled me to push myself more to complete such intriguing tasks and adopt more soft skills. GEI proved that it is an interesting and helpful platform to connect international students for the sake of improving overall academic levels. More important, I really appreciate the fact that participating students can create practically valuable projects and not just simply immerse ourselves in an academic environment. I hope GEI internships will be spreaded worldwide so more international students will have the chance to work together to create values for both themselves and our society.

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest part of my internship was doing and showing a Tiktok video in the final presentation.
Liliane

GEI Virtual Internship review

It was a great experience with enough support of staff. Though I was not used to the virtual internship, but there was enough support and motivation from the supervisor and the whole team of GEI. At first I was nervous ad afraid that something could go wrong but as times went, I felt that virtual internship is also a possible option for students and anyone who wish to do internship abroad especial in period it is not possible to do onsite internship. The whole team made sure that all that is needed is available and answered every problem in timely manner All internship goals were achieved as planned. It was a perfect internship. Thank you GEI and mHub Rwanda for making everything possible.

What was your funniest moment?
It was the moment we had a virtual coffee time (on zoom). It was funny to see how everyone with different background brought something special from his/her home country to eat. All the funniest stories and talks was amazing!