• Online

Pricing

Sep 11, 2022
Aug 12, 2022
2 travelers are looking at this program

This virtual internship offers undergraduate, pre-health, and graduate-level participants a unique opportunity to “travel” to several countries in 4 weeks, to engage in deep learning around healthcare systems in 5-10 countries. Through seminars and facilitated sessions with CFHI's wide network of global partners, interns will see how communities in Africa, Asia, and the Americas address their most pressing health challenges.

This internship will incorporate CFHI’s expertise in facilitated competency development and global health topics through live and self-guided trainings, workshops, and seminars to develop foundational skills for careers in Global Health, Public Health, and related fields. Additionally, interns will complete a project and presentation to support the ongoing work of one of our partners. All participants will receive a certificate of completion.

Program Highlights

• Competency-informed readings and content.
  • Access to intercultural training tools through CFHI partner, Aperian Global.
  • Live and self-paced virtual sessions led by CFHI Global Partners, all experts in local health systems and culture.
  • Facilitated group reflection sessions with a virtual cohort of interns.
  • Cultural learning/virtual immersion.

• Content 9.9
  • Engagement 9.7
  • Platform 9.8
Franly

Learning about Intercultural differences!: )

I had the wonderful opportunity to expand my knowledge and awareness about cultural differences, and how to have better interpersonal communication. They provided me with great tools to learn about professionalism and intercultural effectiveness within the global health field during my 4-week virtual internship. I really enjoy the space they created for us to meet doctors and professionals from all over the world to bring awareness to disparities within health systems and global issues. Their realities and how it is important to dig deeper to understand how we can make a change was a great start to learning how to support my own community. I enjoyed learning about my country of choice from home and found it very meaningful to learn about its culture and traditions. I feel more confident now approaching and communicating with people from different backgrounds and plan to use the tools from CFHI throughout my career working internationally.

Pros
  • Great program resources
  • Team building and group learning
  • Insight from doctors and professionals international
Cons
  • Went by quick!
  • Time difference can be inconvenient
Roshni

Most Wonderful and Enriching Experience

I never thought virtual experience can be this enriching until I participated in the internship program by CFHI. They made sure to make this virtual space the most engaging and interacting one. Everything starting from the correspondence, timely response and process of selection is highly appreciable. The program, discussions and content gave me Public and Global Health perspectives from a lens I had never imagined. This experience had definitely added value to my professional and academic journey by allowing me to explore different health care systems in an innovative manner. I can't thank them enough for the opportunity and the hard work they do in making this experience valuable for students.

Pros
  • Virtual engagement with different countries and health care systems added value to my existing knowledge and experience.
  • More time to interact with fellows and colleagues from different demographic regions created opportunities for more networking and socializing.
  • Self paced learning and activities provided the time of self reflection and evaluation and helped me design my own pathway towards work in domain of public and global health issues.
Cons
  • Virtual connections sometimes created challenges due to technical glitches.
  • Session times sometimes felt shorter. Increasing the time would allow more opportunity for discussions and Q/A session.
  • One month seemed less. The program is so wonderfully designed and is full of knowledge that I wished I was able to spend more time.
Michaela

Intern

My name is Michaela Forouzan and I was very fortunate to be a part of the April Virtual Program focusing on the nation of India. Throughout this program, I have learned from a series of health and global professionals about illnesses throughout India. At the end of the session, I was able to apply all my knowledge through the creation of a presentation that I believed to medical professionals. It was absolutely amazing to receive such great feedback and inspiration from these medical professionals, and apply my knowledge to the future of global health.

Driss

An engaging and unforgettable experience!

As a young aspiring African intern of the CFHI Global Health Comparative Virtual Internship, and a national of a Low Resource Country (Burundi), I would highly recommend the program to more college graduates in the relevant fields of public health as well as any entry-level professionals to participate in the virtual internship with the CFHI to gain ground in the ins-and-outs of how international NGOs promote health for all and intervene holistically in sometimes-familiar settings as the ones I come from; while gaining cultural exposure and learning to team work with like-minded global health professionals

The internship taught me that sometimes less is better. As a prospective global health professional born and raised in Africa but educated at a medical college outside the continent, I had to experience major incongruities between the theoretical framework of medicine and the efforts needed to implement health equity in hospital settings and community health services. To understand how this gap applies less extensively in the social and economic settings of African LMICs, I had to surmise how the fine line between the two fields affect health delivery and outcomes, and how I can participate in bettering the healthcare systems of my continent in the near future.

Due to the short-bits format of the teachings I received during Dr. Charles Nwobu’s online lectures in Ghana, Dr. Hema Pandey from India, as well as the Director’s Seminars and multinational Global Health Roundtables, I was able to capture the essence of cultural effectiveness and adaptability as the bases of successful collaborative efforts to bring affordable and accessible healthcare for all. Additionally, as an intern under the Outpatient & Community Health Services Department of Village Health Works—an international NGO based in New York and Burundi, I am now using the knowledge I acquired to help build self-reliant community health systems in Kigutu, one of the most remote regions of the country.

I am grateful to have been awarded the Thomas Hall Scholars Program scholarship for the virtual internship and hope to see more young aspiring global health professionals enroll in the different programs CFHI has to offer.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Dr. Charles Nwobu’ s thoughtful advice for medical college graduates like myself to participate in elective “housemanships” (the african equivalent of medical residency programs) to better understand the health systems and get familiar with endemic diseases of the continent.
Victoria

Virtual Global Health Comparative - Ghana

It has been such a privilege being awarded CFHI and AMSA’s Global Health Scholarship to participate in the Virtual Global Health Comparative. The weekly Director Seminars and Roundtables (and just being amongst some of the world’s global health leaders) were inspiring examples of how I can contribute my academic background and experience in the field. Dr. Charles Nwobu’s mentorship provided such invaluable insight not only into Ghana, but the universal applicability of healthcare challenges to other cultures and populations. And lastly, discussions with fellow interns ultimately gave me hope. It is comforting to know that a growing number of the incoming generation of global health professionals and medical practitioners are equipped with the cultural competence and intersectional understanding necessary to tackle the world’s numerous crises. I have always wanted to work with CFHI due to their admirable sustainable model and infrastructure, and I look forward to participating in programs in the future!

Vivian

An Impactful Experience!

The CFHI organization is fantastic! I was drawn to them during a Conference when I visited their booth and met the Director. I enjoyed my experience in the Global Health Comparative Virtual Internship in Ecuador! From the virtual tours to the cooking session to Spanish classes, it felt like I was indeed there. The coordinators organized it well, and the teachers were genuinely interested in the students. There was another aspect with interactive modules focused on developing Cross-Cultural Effectiveness & Adaptability, which helped me self-reflect and build on my cultural competency skills. Then there were the discussions with CFHI leaders from different countries, which was very informative. For each public health challenge, we would learn about the obstacles in each country, how they impact the people, and reflect on our roles as future leaders. We also had interactive seminars which challenged our thought process and preconceived notions about Global Health, culture, and health. This program was beneficial and aligned with my goals!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Shrimp Ceviche with popcorn during our Spanish cooking class!!
Karsen

The Perfect Experience for an Uncertain Time

CFHI's intern experience was perfect for me, and I actively recommend it to everyone I meet. I wanted an internship that I could do online because of my job and uncertainty with the pandemic, and this aspect met my expectations well. I learned so much in the month before my job started full time, and it really opened my eyes to the jobs in the field of Global Health. This helped me direct my career path in a very unique way. Logistically, the instructors offered flexibility and grace, and the physician in charge of directing my cohort and teaching us about Ghana was living there at the time, so we learned from someone in the field, rather than someone talking about their time in the country you choose. CFHI also does a fantastic job of cultural respect, humility, and making sure that their practices are sustainable long term. I am so thankful for this program and the opportunities it afforded me.

In this program, we choose a country to do a "deep dive" on, but the countries instructors all have different time slots in which they are able to meet. I wish that we knew these times in advance, because I work and it was a very real possibility that I would've had to miss some meetings. Luckily, my country worked out!
Madelene

Virtual internship, Ghana

Child Family Health International is an amazing organization. I participated in the virtual internship in Ghana and felt like I was truly there. The leader gave us so much insightful information. Sometimes wifi wouldn’t work but they always figured it out and kept us informed. If your thinking about participating do it! I think my favorite part was thinking I knew something and quickly realizing I didn’t know what I was talking about. I have such a broad understanding now which I wouldn’t of had without this internship.