• Online

Pricing

Jul 13, 2021
May 01, 2022
1 traveler is looking at this program

The virtual internship offers undergraduate, pre-health, and graduate-level participants a unique opportunity to “travel” to several countries in 4 weeks, to engage in deep learning around healthcare systems in 5-10 countries. Through seminars and facilitated sessions with CFHI's wide network of global partners, interns will see how communities in Africa, Asia, and the Americas address their most pressing health challenges.

This internship will incorporate CFHI’s expertise in facilitated competency development and global health topics through live and self-guided trainings, workshops, and seminars to develop foundational skills for careers in Global Health, Public Health, and related fields. Additionally, interns will complete a project and presentation to support the ongoing work of one of our partners. All participants will receive a certificate of completion.

Program Highlights

• Competency-informed readings and content
  • Access to intercultural training tools through CFHI partner, Aperian Global
  • Live and self-paced virtual sessions led by CFHI Global Partners, all experts in local health systems and culture
  • Facilitated group reflection sessions with a virtual cohort of interns
  • Cultural learning/virtual immersion

• Content 10
  • Engagement 9.7
  • Platform 9.9
Michaela

Intern

My name is Michaela Forouzan and I was very fortunate to be a part of the April Virtual Program focusing on the nation of India. Throughout this program, I have learned from a series of health and global professionals about illnesses throughout India. At the end of the session, I was able to apply all my knowledge through the creation of a presentation that I believed to medical professionals. It was absolutely amazing to receive such great feedback and inspiration from these medical professionals, and apply my knowledge to the future of global health.

Driss

An engaging and unforgettable experience!

As a young aspiring African intern of the CFHI Global Health Comparative Virtual Internship, and a national of a Low Resource Country (Burundi), I would highly recommend the program to more college graduates in the relevant fields of public health as well as any entry-level professionals to participate in the virtual internship with the CFHI to gain ground in the ins-and-outs of how international NGOs promote health for all and intervene holistically in sometimes-familiar settings as the ones I come from; while gaining cultural exposure and learning to team work with like-minded global health professionals

The internship taught me that sometimes less is better. As a prospective global health professional born and raised in Africa but educated at a medical college outside the continent, I had to experience major incongruities between the theoretical framework of medicine and the efforts needed to implement health equity in hospital settings and community health services. To understand how this gap applies less extensively in the social and economic settings of African LMICs, I had to surmise how the fine line between the two fields affect health delivery and outcomes, and how I can participate in bettering the healthcare systems of my continent in the near future.

Due to the short-bits format of the teachings I received during Dr. Charles Nwobu’s online lectures in Ghana, Dr. Hema Pandey from India, as well as the Director’s Seminars and multinational Global Health Roundtables, I was able to capture the essence of cultural effectiveness and adaptability as the bases of successful collaborative efforts to bring affordable and accessible healthcare for all. Additionally, as an intern under the Outpatient & Community Health Services Department of Village Health Works—an international NGO based in New York and Burundi, I am now using the knowledge I acquired to help build self-reliant community health systems in Kigutu, one of the most remote regions of the country.

I am grateful to have been awarded the Thomas Hall Scholars Program scholarship for the virtual internship and hope to see more young aspiring global health professionals enroll in the different programs CFHI has to offer.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Dr. Charles Nwobu’ s thoughtful advice for medical college graduates like myself to participate in elective “housemanships” (the african equivalent of medical residency programs) to better understand the health systems and get familiar with endemic diseases of the continent.
Victoria

Virtual Global Health Comparative - Ghana

It has been such a privilege being awarded CFHI and AMSA’s Global Health Scholarship to participate in the Virtual Global Health Comparative. The weekly Director Seminars and Roundtables (and just being amongst some of the world’s global health leaders) were inspiring examples of how I can contribute my academic background and experience in the field. Dr. Charles Nwobu’s mentorship provided such invaluable insight not only into Ghana, but the universal applicability of healthcare challenges to other cultures and populations. And lastly, discussions with fellow interns ultimately gave me hope. It is comforting to know that a growing number of the incoming generation of global health professionals and medical practitioners are equipped with the cultural competence and intersectional understanding necessary to tackle the world’s numerous crises. I have always wanted to work with CFHI due to their admirable sustainable model and infrastructure, and I look forward to participating in programs in the future!

Vivian

An Impactful Experience!

The CFHI organization is fantastic! I was drawn to them during a Conference when I visited their booth and met the Director. I enjoyed my experience in the Global Health Comparative Virtual Internship in Ecuador! From the virtual tours to the cooking session to Spanish classes, it felt like I was indeed there. The coordinators organized it well, and the teachers were genuinely interested in the students. There was another aspect with interactive modules focused on developing Cross-Cultural Effectiveness & Adaptability, which helped me self-reflect and build on my cultural competency skills. Then there were the discussions with CFHI leaders from different countries, which was very informative. For each public health challenge, we would learn about the obstacles in each country, how they impact the people, and reflect on our roles as future leaders. We also had interactive seminars which challenged our thought process and preconceived notions about Global Health, culture, and health. This program was beneficial and aligned with my goals!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Shrimp Ceviche with popcorn during our Spanish cooking class!!
Karsen

The Perfect Experience for an Uncertain Time

CFHI's intern experience was perfect for me, and I actively recommend it to everyone I meet. I wanted an internship that I could do online because of my job and uncertainty with the pandemic, and this aspect met my expectations well. I learned so much in the month before my job started full time, and it really opened my eyes to the jobs in the field of Global Health. This helped me direct my career path in a very unique way. Logistically, the instructors offered flexibility and grace, and the physician in charge of directing my cohort and teaching us about Ghana was living there at the time, so we learned from someone in the field, rather than someone talking about their time in the country you choose. CFHI also does a fantastic job of cultural respect, humility, and making sure that their practices are sustainable long term. I am so thankful for this program and the opportunities it afforded me.

In this program, we choose a country to do a "deep dive" on, but the countries instructors all have different time slots in which they are able to meet. I wish that we knew these times in advance, because I work and it was a very real possibility that I would've had to miss some meetings. Luckily, my country worked out!
Madelene

Virtual internship, Ghana

Child Family Health International is an amazing organization. I participated in the virtual internship in Ghana and felt like I was truly there. The leader gave us so much insightful information. Sometimes wifi wouldn’t work but they always figured it out and kept us informed. If your thinking about participating do it! I think my favorite part was thinking I knew something and quickly realizing I didn’t know what I was talking about. I have such a broad understanding now which I wouldn’t of had without this internship.

Yuliya

Go for this experience!

I decided to join the Child Family Health International Virtual Global Health Comparative internship with the determination to get more than just experience in public and global health but also connect to other students and global health professionals. My one-month program focused on Ghana, and I've learned a lot from our weekly lectures on Ghanaian culture and public health.
I would like to recognize Dr. Nwobu, our main lecturer in Ghana region, for his work in moderating our discussions and sharing his personal experiences of being a public health practitioner in Ghana. Likewise, I learned a lot from the webinars on comparative and professional aspects of global health in general. During some sessions I got an opportunity to share my personal experiences with health care in Turkmenistan (my home country).
Even though CFHI was offering primarily in-person internships before, they perfectly managed and executed virtual internships. I was lucky to study with a diverse cohort of students from Canada, the USA, Ghana, Turkmenistan and India, who shared their culturally-unique perspectives on topics that we discussed in class. Our sessions were interactive and informative, which helped me to stay engaged during information-intensive sessions.
Even though my internship didn't include a Spanish aspect to it, I still got an opportunity to practice my Spanish listening during round-table discussions, where delegates from Latin and South America shared their perspectives on different health-related topics in Spanish.
My internship ended two weeks ago and I can't help but keep thinking about what to try next. I gained immense insight into public and global health from the CFHI virtual Global Health Comparative Internship and this positively contributed to my decision to study global and public health in graduate school. Hopefully, I will have another opportunity to participate in CFHI internships (next time in person) to get a different experience and share it with my friends.

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moment for me was finding a place where I can spend 1 to 2 hours for every session. The virtual internship was flexible and I could watch recorded sessions if I skipped any webinar or lecture, but I tried to attend every single session synchronously so I could ask questions as they arise. My work would finish 5 minutes before my internship session starts and I was running two floors down to find a place where I could speak.