Refugees in Palestine Internship Program

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, The Palestinian Center - Go Palestine has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Refugees in Palestine Program

The Refugees in Palestine Program offers interns the unique opportunity to become acquainted with the situation of refugees living in Palestine and gain a deeper understanding of their lives inside the West Bank camps. You'll have a chance to visit the refuggee camps and meet the families living there.

The purpose of this program is to teach our interns about the challenges the camp residents face on a daily basis, such as the reduced infrastructure, educational and health services that were once provided by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA). Another difficulty participants will get to study in the camps is the burgeoning population (camps don't allow further geographical expansion).

• This program focuses on three aspects Theoretical, Practical, Linguistic and Social.
  • Your guide will speak fluent English.
  • You will meet camp residents and families, as well as officials from governmental and non-governmental institutions who work there.
  • Participants will take two field trips to the two camps in Hebron.
  • All participants will receive three hours of Palestinian spoken Arabic language lessons per week.

Laurence

My Experience in Palestine

My name is Laurence and I'm a freelance musician from Scotland. I'm 27 years old and I enjoy travelling and experiencing different cultures.

My time in Hebron and the Palestinian centre has been insighftul, fulfilling and the experience of a lifetime. I have been able to engage with Palestinians on a daily basis and learn about daily life here whilst making new friends along the way.

During my volunteering period I have taught English and Music in refugee camps, arranged Music and English workshops for University students, judged at an English spelling bee and also taught English to students one-on-one.

My main observation of Palestinian culture has been the incredible sense of community and spirit here. Local people in Hebron are extremely friendly and hospitable and go out of their way to make you feel welcome in their city. The children in both Al-Arroub and Al-Fawwar camp have a passion for learning English and bring an infectiously positive energy and attitude to every class.

Palestine is a safe country despite what we often hear in Western mainstream media. Hebron is also a safe and very friendly city and I encourage anyone who wants to experience Palestinian culture to visit this part of the world. I would highly recommend the programs Go Palestine for an experience you won't ever forget.

Immerse yourself in the culture and engage in conversation with Palestinians on a daily basis. Approach everything with a positive attitude and also be adaptable and flexible to situations.
Read my full story