Starting from
$260

Light and Leadership Initiative: LOW COST Internship in Peru

• Have a REAL IMPACT. Don't just intern or volunteer, make a commitment to IMPACT with LLI!
  • We give REAL responsibility: Gain experience and learn what it's like in a grassroots non-profit. With LLI, you are needed and valued!
  • Eat the BEST food! Peruvian food rocks.
  • We're family! Our program is small and close-knit.
  • Meet amazing people: from Huaycn locals to your fellow volunteers/interns, you'll soon have friends from all over the world.
Lima
Peru
12 to 52 weeks
  • Apartment
  • Host Family

The Light and Leadership Initiative offers several internships in Huaycán, a developing community in the outskirts of Lima, Peru.

Internships are offered in several areas and also for long term and short term commitments.

INTERNSHIP OPTIONS:

Teaching English: No Spanish required; 8-10 week commitment (for internship)
Begins mid January and/or mid March 2018; internships also available January 11th, 2018

Teaching Chess: Intermediate Spanish Skills Required; 8-10 week commitment
Begins March 2018 through May and/or June-August

Volunteer Communications Manager; 12 months commitment minimum.
Begins late July 2018 - APPLY NOW!

Women's Empowerment: Advanced Spanish; 12 month commitment minimum.
Begins February 2019- APPLY NOW!

INCLUDED: Airport Pick up, Accommodation, Meals, Bottled Water, Cell Phone, Wireless Internet, Cleaning Service 6 days a week.

NOT INCLUDED: Travel, Insurance, Leisure Expenses, Pre-paid minutes for cell phone (varies with personal use), Laundry expenses.

Price Calculator

Start Dates

Internships available throughout the year.

Compensation

Giovanna
Huaycan
Long Island University

A Humbling & Exciting Volunteer Opportunity

I am about three months into a year-long volunteer experience with LLI, and I already feel like I've grown more than I expected to before arriving. Personally, I am learning to be present and enthusiastically engage with people and circumstances totally different from those that I'm used to. And professionally, I am gaining so much from working with LLI! As the Teen Program Manager, I am developing my organizing skills, identifying and working to meet the needs of the community, and having the invaluable opportunity to work with a multi-cultural staff made up of people from various countries. The responsibility given to me could feel overwhelming, but since I've gotten here LLI has done a great job of finding the balance between giving me the space to make mistakes so that I can learn from them and support me along the way. I can't even imagine how much personal and professional growth I will have made after an entire year in this wonderful community with this exceptional NGO.

IRENE

Life, love, change!

My experience at LLI is being wonderful. As the manager of the children's program, there are many responsibilities, but also opportunities to learn.
Sometimes it may seem difficult to live and work with the same people all week long, but it is much easier when it comes to people who are so professional and at the same time so valuable. The perfect combination of family, friends and co-workers
Huaycan can be a little overwhelming at first glance, but it is certainly a neighborhood that you can fall in love with easily. Its people, its community, the shops in the street ... everything widens your soul and teaches you something new.

Everything can be improved somehow, but at the same time, there are people who work for all these ideas to be heard. Perhaps it is important to be able to connect with more Spanish-speaking volunteers, in order to successfully overcome the barrier that language often entails.

Issy
Melbourne, Australia
Monash University

A Unique Place and an Inspiring Organisation

My time at LLI was such a dynamic experience. I lived somewhere utterly unique, I gained english teaching skills, I explored Peru and I made life long friends. Best of all, I felt truly a part of the LLI family, that between it's working volunteers and the program participants themselves, made for the most awe inspiring of human environments. My 4 months as an English teacher was not without challenge, and you need to be prepared to work hard, but with the ever enduring support of Lara and the exceptional people you will meet at this NGO, you'll find yourself growing as a person exponentially. On a practical front, the housing is perfectly sufficient, the wifi luxurious, Dina's food is delectable and personal freedom is more than adequate. This is such an interesting corner of the world, and the relationship you forge with not just Huaycan itself, but the kids, the Lima region and broader Peru and your fellow volunteers will stay with you long after you return home.

Rose
Boston, MA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Wish I could have stayed longer...

Volunteering with LLI was my first experience volunteering abroad, and it was nothing short of amazing. Although I was only able to stay short-term, I gained so much from my time there. Working with the kids is unbelievably rewarding, and I grew to love and appreciate Huaycan and the Peruvian culture. My fellow volunteers were wonderful humans from all walks of life who each brought something special to the table. From singing songs in English class, to playing soccer with some of the locals, to group dinners in the volunteer house, I cherish every memory from my weeks I spent with LLI. The program is extremely well run and does everything to make you feel comfortable, whether you're staying two weeks or a year. I hope I have a chance to go back in the future.

Naomi
Boston, Massachusetts
Washington University in Saint Louis

Wonderful experience

I worked for six months as the Women's Program Manager for the Light and Leadership Initiative from January through June of 2014. LLI is an organization where the focus is the work that the volunteers do as opposed to the money they spend to come volunteer. LLI truly relies on the initiative and enthusiasm of volunteers, which makes it a great experience for those who want to learn what it's like to work at a grassroots non-profit.

As the Women's Program Manager, I organized workshops on financial education, nutrition, and artisan skills, given by Peruvian organizations and students, to groups of women in Huaycán. I also managed LLI's artisan program, taught basic computer and literacy classes, and helped with the community gardening project. I loved the women I worked with and left wishing I could have stayed longer.

Huaycán is a developing community, meaning there are some challenges to living there, but LLI does a lot to make volunteers feel safe and is very responsive to volunteer concerns. Living in Huaycán is an important part of the experience, allowing people to be a part of the community they hope to serve. The volunteer coordinator does a great job making sure volunteers feel at home and providing organized opportunities to explore other parts of Lima.

I would highly recommend LLI to anyone who wants to have a real impact, meet amazing, dedicated people, and learn about life in an urban developing community in Peru. I will never forget my time there!

As a young grassroots organization, LLI often lacks the resources that larger organizations have at their disposal, which can be frustrating. This means, however, that volunteers have the opportunity to have a greater individual impact on LLI programs.

Maria
Stoughton, MA
Curry College

Life Changing

My experience in Peru with LLI was one of the most wonderful, fullfilling experiences of my life. It met and exceeded all of my expectations and I am already looking forward to doing it again next year! From the moment I got off the plane and was greeted by Sarah the house manager I felt welcomed, comfortable and very much included as part of the house. All of the volunteers at the house were extremely helpful and inclusive in the actives. Some of the reasons I chose LLI were, the cost (it is very reasonable), the accomedations- it was great to live in a volunteer house where you could share your experiences with other volunteers and learn from them and the interaction with Lara (the founder), she is right there with you and you really get to understand her passion and what the organization focused on. Although we lived in a volunteer house it did not deter from being immersed in the community. The house is in the area you are serving, the cook is Peruvian (great food), and you are right in the center of it all and have the opportunity to interact with all of the locals. I highly recommend this program to anyone seeking a volunteer opportunity in Lima!

The food is great but I am a meat eater, so the one thing I would change is to have more meat with our meals.

hollaakers
Zion, Illinois
Trinity Christian College

LLI Highlights

The volunteer house includes amenities important for entertainment and communication (Internet access, television,DVD player, etc). There is a security guard every night to keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary. Lunch is prepared fresh and shared with other volunteers. There are plenty of opportunities to get to know neighbors.

Students/participants are precious and genuinely appreciative of the volunteer staff. Teaching/working with them is by far the highlight of the experience.

Since the volunteer house is located in Huaycan, the list of fun things to do at night is pretty small. Chosica is close-by, however, where karaoke, Foosball and pizza can be found. Lima is a few hours away, and once a week the volunteers went there and explored. On the weekends there is a discotheque close by for dancing and social drinking. It's a good place to meet new friends.

If you don't know Spanish -- learn as quickly as possible. Make a friend while doing so!

It is sometimes a bit boring during the weeknights as the nightlife is nonexistent in Huaycan. One thing I'd like to see improved are more scheduled events/holidays for the volunteer team to do if interested.

dms
VA
James Madison University

LLI, Peru is great!!

This was a great first time volunteer experience for me. I spent one month working with the English, conversation, library and sports programs with LLI. It takes a few days to get used to the changes in your living accommodations, eating habits and day to day routine, but soon you will find your new normal and just roll with it. The support you get from the program director is incredible. She is helpful in every way and is always there to give help and advice. She goes out of her way to make the entire experience rewarding and fun. I always felt safe in our volunteer house and the food provided was plentiful and healthy. Best of all, the relationships that you get to form with other volunteers and the children you work with daily makes the experience awesome. They are a loving, appreciative population. You should definitely consider this volunteer opportunity.

This is difficult because I had such a positive experience. However, some tracking to see if students are improving as a result of the initiatives led by the program might be helpful to volunteers. Leveling students by ability and improving attendance may also be an improvement; however, I realize this was more difficult when I was there because it was their summer and school attendance took a back burner.

Kristen
NY
Hofstra University

One of the best decisions I made..

When I thought about volunteering somewhere, I wanted to actually make a difference while being immersed in a new culture and also have fun! LLI went beyond my expectations in every possible way. Each day was filled with amazing times teaching and having fun in class with the students, enjoying delicious Peruvian foods, connecting with the other volunteers who felt like family after a week, and experiencing what life was like in a completely different part of the world. The community was very friendly and the views were amazing. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I don't know what I would change. It was pretty close to perfect.

The Go Overseas Guarantee

•   Secure payments
  •   Easy, direct messages
  •   Network of travelers
  •   Verified reviews

About the Provider

Light and Leadership offers fun, amazing education programs in the outskirts of Lima, Peru. We offer before and after school activities for kids and special Women's Empowerment programs to our women's group. We believe that education is the long-term solution, come be a part of

Alumni Interviews