At Hoja you will gain invaluable field experience that will challenge and prepare you for a future in environmental protection.
We are a remote research center and rescue/reintroduction center for animals, located 3 hours outside the closest city of Puerto Maldonado. We confront deforestation in the Peruvian Amazon by strategically acquiring rainforest and creating corridors; building capacity within indigenous communities through one health and alternative income opportunities; implementing rigorous scientific research; supporting transition-sustainable farming, and reintroducing threatened species to the wild after rescue.
Current internships include permaculture design and planning, farming/ cocoa cultivation, animal care-taking, rigorous wildlife research (scat, camera trapping), waste and water research, community development projects, and more. Many prefer our rotating internship to gain a breadth of experience and knowledge in all of these different fields.
- Live and work in a beautiful eco-lodge in the remote rainforest of Las Piedras: the last frontier of the Peruvian Amazon
- Contribute to efforts in raising awareness of and preserving one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet
- Participate in interdisciplinary, innovative projects that break boundaries between local NGOs, communities, and governments
- Gain invaluable field experience that will challenge and prepare you for a future in environmental protection
- Help raise non-sensitive, rescued wild animals so they can one day be reintroduced to their rightful home: the jungle