At Hoja Nueva you will gain invaluable field experience that will challenge & prepare you for a future in environmental and species protection.
We are a remote research center & wildlife sanctuary located three hours outside the closest city of Puerto Maldonado. We confront deforestation in the Peruvian Amazon by strategically acquiring rainforest & creating corridors; building capacity within remote & indigenous communities through one health & alternative income opportunities; implementing rigorous scientific research; supporting transition-sustainable farming; & reintroducing threatened species to the wild after rescue.
Current internships include agroforestry design & planning, animal husbandry, wildlife research, & sustainable community development projects. Our ongoing wildlife programs focus primarily on mammals & herpetofauna. Many interns prefer our rotating internship to gain a breadth of experience and knowledge in all of these different fields.
- Live and work in a beautiful eco-lodge in the remote rainforest of Las Piedras: the last frontier of the Peruvian Amazon
- Contribute to efforts in raising awareness of and preserving one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet
- Participate in interdisciplinary, innovative projects that break boundaries between local NGOs, communities, and governments
- Gain invaluable field experience that will challenge and prepare you for a future in environmental protection
- Provide care and enrichment for rescued wild animals so they can one day be reintroduced to their rightful home: the jungle