At Hoja Nueva you will gain invaluable field experience that will challenge and prepare you for a future in environmental protection.
We are a remote research center and wildlife sanctuary located three hours outside the closest city of Puerto Maldonado. We confront deforestation in the Peruvian Amazon by strategically acquiring rainforest and creating corridors; building capacity within remote and indigenous communities through one health and alternative income opportunities; implementing rigorous scientific research; supporting transition-sustainable farming; and reintroducing threatened species to the wild after rescue.
Current internships include agroforestry design and planning, animal care-taking, wildlife research, and sustainable community development research and projects. Our ongoing wildlife programs focus primarily on mammals and herpetofauna. Many interns prefer our rotating internship to gain a breadth of experience and knowledge in all of these different fields.
- Live and work in a beautiful eco-lodge in the remote rainforest of Las Piedras: the last frontier of the Peruvian Amazon
- Contribute to efforts in raising awareness of and preserving one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet
- Participate in interdisciplinary, innovative projects that break boundaries between local NGOs, communities, and governments
- Gain invaluable field experience that will challenge and prepare you for a future in environmental protection
- Provide care and enrichment for rescued wild animals so they can one day be reintroduced to their rightful home: the jungle