Amazon Conservation: Wildlife Research, Permaculture, and Community Development

permaculture classes in the Amzaon.
permaculture classes in the Amzaon.
clelia holds a friendly boa constrictor in the amazon.
clelia holds a friendly boa constrictor in the amazon.
pacarana
pacarana
keanu
keanu
A jaguar seen on camera trap in the Peruvian Amazon.
A jaguar seen on camera trap in the Peruvian Amazon.
cocoa collecting during your internship abroad.
cocoa collecting during your internship abroad.
pup rescues
pup rescues
Macaws
Macaws

At Hoja you will gain invaluable field experience that will challenge and prepare you for a future in environmental protection.

We are a remote research center and rescue/reintroduction center for animals, located 3 hours outside the closest city of Puerto Maldonado. We confront deforestation in the Peruvian Amazon by strategically acquiring rainforest and creating corridors; building capacity within indigenous communities through one health and alternative income opportunities; implementing rigorous scientific research; supporting transition-sustainable farming, and reintroducing threatened species to the wild after rescue.

Current internships include permaculture design and planning, farming/ cocoa cultivation, animal care-taking, rigorous wildlife research (scat, camera trapping), waste and water research, community development projects, and more. Many prefer our rotating internship to gain a breadth of experience and knowledge in all of these different fields.

• Live and work in a beautiful eco-lodge in the remote rainforest of Las Piedras: the last frontier of the Peruvian Amazon
  • Contribute to efforts in raising awareness of and preserving one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet
  • Participate in interdisciplinary, innovative projects that break boundaries between local NGOs, communities, and governments
  • Gain invaluable field experience that will challenge and prepare you for a future in environmental protection
  • Help raise non-sensitive, rescued wild animals so they can one day be reintroduced to their rightful home: the jungle

dale

Experience at hoja

Working at hoja nueva was a life changing experience. The company was very well run and at no point did i feel like there wasnt something to do. Between the nightwalks, boat tours, or, simply hanging out and interacting with the locals, it was all amazing. Sam is such a helpful person who made sure all requirements of the research projects were met. Learning to use camera traps to study the local wildlife was incredibly insightful as well as tracking wild cats using their scat. Waking up to the sounds of howler monkeys and visiting local cocoa farms make this place feel like paradise

Please bring lots of socks/underwear. You wont believe how hot and smelly you'll get living in the jungle. Snacks(that wont melt in the heat) are also a life saver. Other than that, hoja provides the basic necessities and then some.
Will

Research and Relaxation

I'll preface my review of Hoja Nueva by saying that I absolutely loved the opportunity that Hoja gave to me by allowing me to live in the thick of the Amazon Rainforest. I stayed at the Eco-Lodge for 3 months and my daily activity often took me out of the comfy housing to the on-site cacao chacras or orchards to complete my school sponsored research. After a day's work, I was frequently invited or accompanied on walks into the Rainforest with knowledgeable employees and friends. Hoja Nueva is a magical place with beautiful people.

Kiara

Life-Changing!!!

At Hoja I helped out with a variety of projects including: predator scat analysis, avian and herpetological surveys, soil sampling, and many others. The technical skills I gained from this internship were invaluable but the experience was so much more for me than that. Having the opportunity to unplug from the internet and fully immerse myself in the entirety of nature's wildness changed my life. Every moment that I spent in the jungle with Hoja Nueva, I was awestruck by the gloriousness of the natural world, by the seemingly endless array of life. The lodging is gorgeous, and you're awoken every morning by the sounds of howler monkeys and macaws. I loved waking up, making my morning coffee, and hanging my feet over the edge of the house watching monkeys play in the trees. Projects often involve collaboration with others, so working well on a team is a must! The employees and fellow interns/volunteers at Hoja are easy to get along with, and tasks such as cooking are shared by everyone staying at the lodge. I felt like I had my own little jungle family by the time I left. I would highly recommend this opportunity for anyone with a passion for wildlife and conservation. If you're anything like me, you'll be dying to return as soon as you leave.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
With how much incredible wildlife I saw during my month-long stay at Hoja, it's hard to choose. One of the highlights was certainly watching the family of howler monkeys swing through the trees just outside of the lodge. There were 2 females carrying tiny babies on their backs and stomach! I also saw blue and yellow macaws which was incredible. The night walks are to-die-for if you have an interest in snakes, frogs, night monkeys, or cool insects! I saw something new every single day that took my breath away.
ME
Tyler

Life Changing Place/Experience

I went during the summer of 2018 as a student and then back in 2019 as a volunteer. It is an amazing place that will truly give you a one of a kind experience. The people there are so amazing as well as the place itself. The amazon rain forest is stunningly beautiful for each of our five senses. I highly recommend this place for anyone looking for an adventure, a true experience of being out in nature, and especially for those looking to gain field research experience.

I cannot say enough good things about this place. The amount of work they have done and the amount of dedication they have is truly inspirational.

My advice is to make sure you are prepared, so pack smartly. Also make sure you either learn or review a little bit of Spanish before travelling to Hoja, as it will help you be able to better communicate and understand things as you make your way there.
Ivy

Hoja Nueva is a must visit!

For my undergraduate thesis I looked far and wide for a program to support my research as well as thirst for adventure. When I found Hoja Nueva I immediately was intrigued and couldn't wait to explore the opportunity. Once committing to the program I had no idea how much of an impact it would have not only on my research endeavors but my life in general. The locals and staff are welcoming and incredibly helpful people, the lodge is accommodating and serene, set in the most beautiful environment, and the local sight seeing, wildlife, and culture is right at your fingertips! No regrets whatever, a beautiful trip full of memories and education!

Olivia

High School Trip to Hoja Nueva!

Going to Hoja Nueva was a life-changing experience! I went to the research center for three weeks after my junior year of high school, and because of my experience there, I am now in college studying environmental science. I can't wait to return to Peru!
There is nothing more beautiful than the sounds of the rainforest! During my time in Peru, I got to see animals I had only ever dreamed of seeing, and it was empowering to learn how to protect them. I met some of the most inspirational people of my life in that forest. Going to local communities was eye-opening and truly helped me develop my understanding of what it means to be an environmental scientist.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
One of the most surprising (and beautiful!) things I saw were macaws on a clay lick. It was by far one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life. I felt like I was in a National Geographic magazine. As spectacular as seeing the macaws was, it was even more wonderful to learn about them. By the end of my three weeks at Hoja Nueva, I could distinguish between the calls of Red and Green Macaws and Blue and Yellow Macaws. I had learned about the development of macaw chicks and how, tragically, macaws are killed for their feathers. Seeing animals is amazing, but learning how to protect them is a privilege.
Ronee

Life changing memories/adventures!

Anyone wanting a one of a kind experience should go. My time there has stayed with me the experiences and moments have changed the way I see the environment and humans. The beauty of the amazon is spectacular.
The sounds of the Amazon especially the Howler Monkeys would wake me every day. Such an amazing sound to wake to.
You learn how much you don't need to thrive. Disconnecting from the WWW is freeing. Seeing how fast the Amazon is being destroyed makes you want to take action. Since returning I have chosen to experience life more and not be weighted down with material things.

Tristan

My Summer at Hoja Nueva

I went to Hoja Nueva during my Summer off from university on a grant-funded research trip. The experience was more than I could have ever asked for. The surrounding area in Las Piedras is perfect for biological, anthropological, and agricultural research as well as rain forest tourism. I will always consider it to be one of the most life changing places I have ever stayed. The people who run Hoja are extremely kind and they are welcome into my home for ever after no matter where I may be. I highly recommend this amazing place to anyone traveling in Peru.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
We ate a huge variety of things I had never tried before, including nuts and mushrooms foraged from the surrounding rain forest, but the most unfamiliar thing was fermented masato which we made ourselves.