if i could...Internships in Cape Town

if i could...Internships in Cape Town

‘if i could…’ is the incubator for emerging development practitioners, providing customized internship placements in the development sector in Cape Town, South Africa.

'if i could...' offers niche internships with reputable non-profit organizations based in Cape Town, South Africa. Our experienced team will find a meaningful placement for you, tailored to your skill set, interests, and academic and career goals.

Our focus areas include: Youth development, Community empowerment, Public health, Human Rights, Women's Empowerment, Education, HIV/AIDS, Refugee/Asylum-seeking, Arts & Education, Government, Economic development, Social Work, Counseling & Psychology ... and more.

• Our interns are placed solely within the development sector, so you can begin to build your career in the non-profit and international sectors.
  • if i could places international students and graduates in meaningful positions at reputable, registered non-profit organizations in Cape Town, South Africa and New Delhi, India.
  • You dont need to have studied in a development-related field, as non-profit organizations require a range of skills and expertise in other organizational area such as finance, marketing and information technology. Find out more about what makes our int
  • Interns gain valuable real-life work experience, and can arrange for academic credit from their own universities and colleges.
  • Cape Town, South Africas Mother City is one of the top travel destinations in the world. New Delhi, India is a city rich with history, while at the same time cutting edge. Both vibrant, modern cities offer exposure to unique development challenge
Africa » South Africa » Cape Town
Phone / Skype Interview
Experience Requirement
Visa Requirement
Weekly Hours
A deposit of $300 will get you started, and we’ll get to work finding a range of internship options for you to choose from. Our full programme fee is $1,595 and includes additional services including accommodation assistance (monthly rent not included), in-country orientation and support, mentoring, language classes, intern outings and excursions, fundraising tips, a global alumni network, and additional coaching support is available as part of our exclusive package.

Camille
New York, NY
Mount Holyoke College

If I Could Programme Review

The if i could programme was very helpful in terms of placing me with an appropriate internship site at Lalela Project, providing on the ground support throughout my stay and organizing intern outings to explore the Mother City and get to know other interns interested in development work. The staff is incredibly welcoming and always open to discussions about living and learning in Cape Town. I recommend the if i could programme to anyone who is interested in learning about the development sector in Cape Town. If I could separates itself from other internship organizations by providing a strong support system while respecting the independence of living and learning abroad.

I suggest that the if i could programme do more frequent check-ins with interns as they are beginning their internships and I would have loved to see intern outings that involve more scenic locations like group hikes up Lion's Head for those who enjoy being outdoors. As others have mentioned, the programme fee was a bit costly but without this programme, I would not have been exposed to such great resources, new ways of thinking and lasting friendships.

Roxana
Cape Town, South Africa

Roxana's review

I thoroughly enjoyed the If I Could program...and felt my placement at a women's support organization was a wonderful fit for me in terms of my studies at college. In terms of the If I Could support system, I feel that while I had a terrific experience, the cost could be lowered a bit as $1,000 is a lot for a student to pay either in SA or in the U.S.--and perhaps there could have been more coordinated intern outings and events. That being said, I would happily recommend the program as a placement program as the staff is lovely and wonderful and the peace of mind when coming to a different country cannot have a price attached to it.

My host organization was a terrific organization to work for and I'd recommend any person wanting to work in gender advocacy :) I feel as if I truly tested myself outside of the classroom and am leaving with a sense that I have skills to offer for making tangible social change in my own country.

See above :)

Kaitlin
Massachusetts
Bridgewater State University

If I Could... Review 25 Feb 2014

I had the most amazing experience through the If I Could... Program. The children I work with at my arts education host organization have taught me what it means to be resilient, what it means to forgive and what it means to love.

More group tourist trips/activities/opportunities i.e. Cape of Good Hope, District Six Museum, Bo Kaap, Old Biscuit Mill, Mzolis etc etc.

K.Evans
West Hartford, CT
Connecticut College

Kathy in Cape Town

If I Could...is an amazing organization and was a wonderful resource as I spent my summer in South Africa. They helped me to find an internship at Cape Town Child Welfare, placed me in a house in the beautiful Tamboerskloof area and had several intern outings, which allowed me to further explore the city. The staff of If I Could...are extremely welcoming and helpful, and I really enjoyed getting to know them, especially when they participated in the isiXhosa classes that were provided.

I would recommend If I Could... to any individual who is going abroad alone for the first time. It is critical to have a support system like the staff at If I Could... to ensure that you are safe, comfortable, and are making the most our of your internship. If I had to change one thing, it would be the cost of the program, but in the end, it was a invaluable resource.

​Internships that contribute to a better world...

Do you want to work in the development or humanitarian field?

Gain valuable work experience while traveling the world, learning about different cultures, and giving back?

if i could... offers niche internships with reputable non-profit organisations based in