IES Internships Cape Town Summer – Internship

Stand out in today’s competitive job market by participating in a summer internship in Cape Town. An internship in Cape Town gives you the skills to communicate across cultures, thus giving your resume the extra edge.

When you’re not working up to 32 hours per week at your internship placement, you’ll have time to explore local gems like Greenmarket Square, Old Biscuit Mill, and the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens (a natural UNESCO World Heritage Site). You’ll also have the advantage of South Africa’s beautiful climate and geography by hiking Table Mountain, visiting Lion’s Head, hanging out with the penguins at Boulders Beach or walking along the scenic shores of Camps Bay. All of this is possible when you spend a summer in Cape Town.

IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

• 9-10 rating 33.33%
  • 7-8 rating 66.67%
Jeshurun

Go Abroad!

My summer interning abroad with IES was an essential growing period for me. As a Ghanaian-American in Cape Town, I learned so much about myself and my continent. I gained a better understanding of the legacies of colonialism, classification, and the inheritance of racism. Additionally, through my internship at the internationally renowned Groote Schuur Hospital, I was able to observe and expand my knowledge of South Africa’s healthcare system. My time in South Africa grew my level of independence and showed me that I could be whoever I wanted to be, whenever I wanted. Additionally, it has increased my curiosity regarding other African countries. Though in my case, Cape Town had a huge role in the culmination of my experience, traveling to any country that is not your own, is a breathtaking and necessary experience. Go!

I would improve the level of continued involvement of the program administration with the summer interning students.
Cheressa

My Perspective

Throughout my whole two months interning abroad in Cape Town, South Africa my experience was an adventurous and challenging one. I was able to expand my cultural knowledge on and learn information about different types of townships and their history. In addition, I grew on a personal note by learning how to be more patient and adaptable to a more laid-back work environment where the main priority is based on sustaining and building relationships. On a professional level, I gained more practice with my communication skills, self-motivation, adaptability and computer skills. I definitely did experience a lot of moments when I would feel homesick, but to help overcome these moments I would just hang out with friends and call my family. And of course, when it was time to leave to go back to the States I was not ready. However, I do know that I will be visiting again!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate while in Cape Town, South Africa would have to be a sheep's head for me. I watched the sheep's head get chopped off and then fried on a wooden stick over a fire pit. It was a very interesting and memorable experience for me.
Iman

A City Surrounded By Mountains

Cape Town was nothing like I expected. The city was completely surrounded by mountains. I climbed Lion's Head and rode a cable car in order to reach the top of Table Mountain. Both times, the views at the top left me breathless. I am not much of a hiker, but hiking up at least one of the mountains is a must!

There were many cultures that came to reside in Cape Town and so many different cuisines to try. I enjoyed Cape Malay food the best, and I highly recommend going to Bo-Kaap, a former township in Cape Town. I was also able to visit Robben Island, one of the prisons that Nelson Mendlon was incarcerated in. It was an eye-opening experience because one of our tour guides was imprisoned on the island and spoke a little about his time there. The rich history in Robben Island and in South Africa as a whole was taught to my peers and I through a course and overtime during our time there.

My internship placement taught me so much more about not only South African culture but also the culture of neighboring nations. South Africa is known as the Rainbow Nation, and I understood the label once I started at my internship. There were so many clients from different countries that came to South Africa with the same sole purpose of bettering their own lives and their families. I was able to learn so much through the people I met and the places I saw.