Nonprofit Fundraising Internship Africa

Nonprofit Fundraising Internship Africa

NEW! NGO Management Internships

Always wanted to get a thorough insight into charities and nonprofit organizations? These NGO Management Internships provide a great opportunity for you. As an intern, you can expect to gain valuable work experience in a variety of aspects, which can include project development, sustainability, fundraising strategy, or on the ground project coordination.

Gain valuable experience in fundraising at a nonprofit in Africa! We're excited to offer fundraising internships at inspiring social development and environmental organizations. As a fundraising intern, you'll get a thorough understanding of both the international fundraising landscape and the workings of a nonprofit organization at a grassroots level, and you'll get to contribute to a worthwhile cause at the same time.

Fundraising is an ever-evolving landscape, with donors shifting their focus continually and new and creative ways to raise funds becoming vital for many organizations. As a fundraising intern, you gain insight into these trends, while also gaining practical experience with things like grant and proposal writing, individual giving campaigns, corporate sponsorship (CSR), online fundraising, relationship management, and reporting. Most internships can be customized to your skills and desired learning outcomes so that you're ensured to have the work experience you want.

"I can’t even count the number of things I learned: from writing professional (but always fun!) e-mails to creating databases; from convincing people to partner with us to realizing applications for grants and awards." - Sofia, Italy, Fundraising Internship
  • Valuable working experience while contributing to a worthwhile environmental cause
  • Variety of tasks: marketing, research, communications, reporting and fundraising
  • Flexible start and end dates
  • Duration from 8-26 weeks
Cape Town
Year Round
Airport Transfers
SIM cards
Travel Insurance
Good English speaking and writing skills
Creative mind and flexible
Experience or knowledge of fundraising is nice to have
Contact us
Send your CV
First (Skype) call to discuss opportunities
Second (Skype) call with your future supervisor
Internship confirmed by host and you
You will receive information and start preparations for your stay in South Africa
Weekly Hours
Weeks Min.
Weeks Max
At Roots, we'll carefully match you with the right internship, assist you along the way, help you with logistics, and offer academic guidance throughout your stay. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.

Greenpop Fundraising Internship

Talitha is a dream of a coordinator. She is the only reason I was given the opportunity to work as a fundraising intern at Greenpop in Cape Town. She hurried my resume through to give me a chance at the position I was ultimately offered. She truly cared about my experience, and proved it time and time again. From beginning to end, she was always checking in to make sure I was enjoying with my time at Greenpop. From beginning to end my experience Cape Town was the best experience of my life and it was all possible because of Talitha!

More clarity/detail on what is entailed; housing, work extracurriculars

A TREEmendous internship

Working at Greenpop was a TREEmendous experience! I loved being surrounded by such driven and passionate people. The small office is a ton of fun and allows interns to learn about all the components needed to make nonprofits run efficiently. I appreciated being able to work in the fundraising department and was able to help write two grants while I was an intern. I found the interdisciplinary approach to grant writing a great learning experience and collaborated with colleagues in the finance and ecology departments to draft the grants. As a student looking to get more involved in the nonprofit world, I found the experience to be truly beneficial. I was able to enhance my writing, communication, and creative thinking. Along with working on the grants, I participated in the marketing of larger fundraising campaigns. In these campaigns, the goal was to get individuals to purchase trees for various celebrations and holidays. Learning about the different funding approaches Greenpop utilized helped me develop practical skills and gain a better understanding of how nonprofits operate on a whole.

Fundraising and Marketing Internship

Now that is over, I can say being an intern in Cape Town is without doubt a life-changing experience. Working in a very small team puts you in front of great opportunities and some challenges, the best situation if you are looking for an internship that gives you a high level of autonomy and the chance to see your ideas become amazing projects. Marleen and Greg are amazing human beings and beautiful supervisors, they make you feel truly appreciated and heard. There every encounter becomes an opportunity to learn about the other, and indirectly about yourself. Personally, I think sometimes it feels good to give something back for all the beauty you can experience living in incredible places such as Cape Town. Being far from home in a new completely different reality may make you feel smaller, but working in an enterprise like this can show you it's possible to become part of something bigger and world-changing, day after day.

Social Media Management/ Content Writing Internship

My experience working in Cape Town was amazing. The small enterprise is run by passionate and sincere individuals who are willing to give you as much responsibility as you want to handle. Marleen is such an inspiring and straight-forward leader in office. One of the best aspects of content writing for Penda was that Marleen never forced me to write about anything. We would sit down together, have coffee and brainstorm five topics that could be useful, then I would choose which to write. I learned so much about SEO, marketing and social media management all while having an amazing cultural experience of living in South Africa.

About Roots Interns

At Roots Interns, our mission is to create the perfect balance between meaningful work and valuable learning. That’s why we offer internships at NGOs and social enterprises that are adding valuable contributions towards community programs,...