GEI South Africa | Custom Internships

GEI South Africa | Custom Internships (year-round)

Our Custom Internships in Cape Town enable you to develop and apply your theoretical and practical knowledge in a supervised placement. You are matched with a local host organization according to your level of study, existing skills and desired fields. A specific internship plan is developed in advance of each placement. Academic credits are available through our School of Record, and you will be expected to complete some key course requirements.

In addition to the placement, you will benefit from a pre-placement orientation, a weekly classroom or field session with interdisciplinary training, and a weekly formal supervisory meeting.

While we cannot guarantee that we will find a suitable host organization for you, placements are typically available in a range of fields, year-round, with flexible durations (minimum 4 weeks).

• Combine a highly relevant global experience with professional skills development and cultural immersion.
  • Work with local colleagues and develop your intercultural communication skills, confidence and adaptability.
  • Gain new insight through a unique African perspective on development and nation building.
  • Explore the progress and challenges towards development of a highly diverse African nation.
  • Broaden your personal and professional network, and build lasting international friendships.

E

South Africa

Wow! Getting to do a custom internship in South Africa was a dream come true. The team at GEI worked so hard to find me a unique opportunity connecting my love for educational development and social justice, and the placement at Rainbow Academy was perfect! I had been overwhelmed by trying to choose an internship, but GEI was so accommodating about my internship that I really felt like I was in good hands. I also was able to earn transfer credits for my university program!

I was so excited to work with students and teachers in such a cool program. The combination of performing arts and entrepreneurship really opened my eyes to sustainable educational development. I got to work closely with educators and community partners to see how the school managed to develop its programs. I definitely cried when I left my students and I hope I can see them again.

The students were incredible! I fell in love with the music and dance and performance classes here. South Africa really is a Rainbow country, and the music is out of this world. I loved the food and the ambiance of Cape Town and the excursions I went on were amazing. Taking the aerial cableway to Table Mountain will remain as one of my top experiences.

I wish I had thought to stay longer and visit some of the places around South Africa! I’ve always wanted to see Namibia or Botswana but I will definitely be back. I also desperately want to stay in Addo Elephant Park—how magical!! Cape Town is such an incredible city.