Global Experiences Internships in Barcelona, Spain

Great art around the city
Great art around the city
Everyone in the Barcelona summer 2017 Global Experiences study abroad program
Everyone in the Barcelona summer 2017 Global Experiences study abroad program
Visiting Florence, Italy on a weekend trip.
Climbing Montserrat just outside of Barcelona with friends from Global Experiences.
Barcelona Summer 2017 Interns
Barcelona Summer 2017 Interns

Barcelona is home to miles of sandy beaches, one of the world's most well-known soccer teams, and an endless number of experiences to have. The economic center of Catalonia offers a wide range of internships in nearly every career field. As an international intern, you’ll have the chance to immerse in everything about Spanish culture.

You’ll have the opportunity to work in your approved career field all while enjoying everything Barcelona has to offer. We do our best to tailor your internship to match your background and future goals. We’ll support you every step of the way to make sure your Barcelona internship is an experience you’ll never forget.

Included in the cost of your tuition is a guaranteed internship, housing, social events, our career development program, and more.

• Guaranteed Internship: As part of the Global Experiences' program you are guaranteed an internship in your host city. We do our best to tailor your internship to match your background and future goals.
  • Personalized Attention: We want this experience to be as fulfilling as possible. From the first phone call, we support you and give you all the resources you need to make sure your internship is a success.
  • Centralized Housing: You’ll be living in accommodations centrally located in Barcelona with other Global Experiences' interns. Your housing will have access to public transportation, ensuring it is easy to get to and from your internship.
  • Professional Development: Through one-on-one coaching and webinars, we assist you in improving your professional documents, prepare you for an interview with potential employers, establish internship goals, and discuss your strengths.
  • Local Staff and Social Events: Our Location Coordinator lives in Barcelona year-round and provides interns with an insider's glimpse of the city. The LC is there to provide 24/7 emergency support and takes all the interns on a range of social events.

When you enroll in the program, you are added to a private Facebook group for your specific program location and session. This means that you have a way to communicate to other interns in the group before your departures, and for some locations you can even arrange to meet up in the airport and take a taxi to your housing together. Hope this helps!
Hi Alyssa! As with many internships, the vast majority of our internship placements are unpaid. We look for opportunities that allow our interns to gain the best possible experience while adhering to local laws and visa restrictions. If an employer offers you a stipend or other form of compensation you are welcome to accept it. We hope that this helps! - Lydia T. | Student Experience & Marketing...

Camille

Great Experience

Having the opportunity to live and work in a different country is a truly eye-opening experience. For students who haven't had much independence, it's a good way to test the waters of adulthood. Doing it through a program, however, gives you the confidence that you are not alone if anything goes wrong. Inma and Saskia (on site directors), were amazing and helped us feel at home, plus they are the sweetest and super fun to hang out with during the group events. The internship itself can pose difficulties, but I saw and experienced multiple times in which simply voicing concerns to the directors was the best way to fixing any issues. Overall, I had an amazing experience and would recommend it, especially if like me, it is more attainable than doing a semester or year abroad. Super valuable for jobs in the future, too, since we are in an increasingly interconnected world.

Be open minded, welcome new experiences, let go of control and biases, and be curious. Those to me were the key to a truly amazing experience abroad.
Marina

Best experience of my life

This was hands down the BEST decision I’ve ever made in my life. I grew in so many ways, not just professionally. My career placement pushed me to become stronger in my field and a better communicator. Going overseas forced me to open my mind and learn to go with the flow, appreciate the small things and other cultures. I learned so much about myself in these short two months and made so many beautiful friendships that will last me a life time. I will be recommending this program to absolutely everyone because it was truly life changing. It is so much more than just an internship.
The placement for the internship (for me at least) was exactly what I needed. I learned the basic skills to excel in my field. Not only that, but I created great relationships with my coworkers that will be great bridges for the future.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment was the moment I arrived in Spain and had to figure out how to find my home. We got into a taxi and I was accidentally dropped off 5 blocks away from my apartment. I was terrified because I wasn’t familiar with my surroundings nor the culture or the people. AND no connection because I hadn’t bought a SIM card yet. Thankfully, I knew some spanish and was able to find a kind woman who walked me all the way to my housing! A random kind stranger, she was a mother and she said that she knew if her daughter was stranded in another country not knowing how to get home, she would be so thankful if someone helped her.
Gabriella

Best summer of my life!

My summer in Barcelona was amazing! I traveled to different cities, worked with amazing people, met lifelong friends, gained great work experience, tried amazing food, and discovered so much about myself. I would recommend this program to all students looking to experience something new and who want to see the world. Our program advisors were unbelievable, the city was amazing, and every single day I discovered something new and beautiful. I always found myself turning the corner and seeing something new for the first time, even if I had walked down that street before! I loved getting to know the locals and their stories, while learning about their way of life in Spain. I met people from all over the world and made great connections! Seriously the best summer of my life

Don’t be afraid to go alone! You learn so much traveling on your own and get to customize your traveling experience. You will see everything in a new light.
Eric

Barcelona Summer 2019

The program directors of Barcelona are amazing. Inma and Saskia go above and beyond to make sure that everyone is comfortable and enjoying themselves. The housing is amazing and the program directors do an amazing job pairing roommates together. The trips that they plan beforehand to destinations, such as Costa Brava and Montserrat are really enjoyable and give you the chance to experience different areas in Spain. To future participants definitely go to Montijüic for sunset with chocolate and drinks. Also Bogatell is my favorite beach. There is a nice spot where you can jump off a pier into the water. For great food for cheap Carrer de Blai has Pintchos for 1.25 Euros each. For great tapas Pepita has some of my favorites. Disfrúatalo tí@s

Go on all of the program trips. They are really beautiful and it gives you the chance to meet other people in the program.
Riley

The Best Summer You Will Ever Have!!!

I was required to complete an internship for my University, and I decided I wanted to go abroad. I had taken a gap semester with a different program in Spain before, and knew I wanted to take this opportunity to go back. After choosing Global Experiences, I was immediately taken aback by the amount of time they devote to each intern. We were given interview and strength coaching, they helped us build our resumes and cover letters, and checked in with us every step of the way.
I had very specific requirements set forth by my University as to how long and what tasks I needed to complete during my internship. GE guaranteed to find me a placement that accommodated these requirements, and I secured a perfect internship after my first interview. I couldn't have asked for a better company to work for!
In terms of housing, I was placed in a great location with the perfect roommates. GE took the time to look through the roommate questionnaire to ensure we were placed with compatible people and in a convenient location.
Our program directors, Inma and Saskia were AMAZING. I encountered a lot of random health issues throughout my time in Barcelona, and they told me exactly which hospital and clinic to go to. They also checked in on me when throughout this time even though they had over 50 other students to keep track of. They were always there to talk to and for any advice we needed.
Overall, this was the best summer of my life, and I wouldn't have changed anything about it. I am so glad I went with Global Experiences!

Push yourself to get out of your comfort zone every single day! No matter how the day before went, it is so important to wake up everyday ready to try again. Also, if you are in a country where you don't speak the language, make an effort to learn 5 new words each day. This adds up so quickly, you will be surprised how much your language competency will improve by the time you leave.
Sarah

Graduate Student Abroad

I chose to do my internship for my master’s program abroad because I never got to study abroad as an undergraduate. As someone with prior professional experience, I was unsure how valuable this internship experience would be. The answer is: IT WAS LIFE CHANGING.

I learned how to diversify between organizational cultural differences, gain knowledge of an entirely new industry sector, and meet new people to further expand my profesional and personal networks.

I am so grateful for Global Experiences and all of their amazing staff that ensured my seamless transition. The Spain location director, Inma; along with her assistant Saskia, went above and beyond to provide all interns with nothing less than an incredible summer. Look no further, global experiences is the host company for you!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have managed my time better to ensure that I could attended ALL the program group day trips because they were all so cool.
Kalaiakeonekapu

A summer for the books!

For my major, I needed to go abroad in a Spanish speaking country. My university offered a program to Madrid but being that I am from Hawaii, I knew I wanted to be near the ocean. This is when I decided I wanted to go to Barcelona. Prior to embarking on my 2019 summer internship I did extensive research to find an organization that would suit me best. Personally I wanted the most legitimate program out there, and after calling three different organizations I decided to continue with Global Experiences (GE).

Once I went forward with GE, they asked me what type of internship I was looking for and I told them I would like to work with a start-up company, preferably a tech start-up. They lined up interviews for two different start-ups. I ended up interning at EcoLocal Market, a mobile app designed to promote local food by using an algorithm to discount products before they expire. I got a lot of hands on experience with website design and operating a frontend system to modify a mobile application. Without getting into too many details, the internship was an excellent fit as I worked with a start-up company last summer.

Throughout the summer our GE program leaders Inma and Saskia organized multiple social events. My favorite was our group trip to Sitges beach. They both served as excellent resources and were there for us if we needed anything. Although I like to think of myself as being independent, it felt good to know that I could turn to Inma or Saskia for help.

As far as the living situation, I was placed in a good area of the city that was close to everything (pharmacy, shopping, food, bars etc). I met people from other programs that were placed in apartments on the outskirts of the city, far from the action. After hearing this, I felt even better with my choice to go abroad with GE. They covered all their bases, from prepping us for our initial interviews with our companies to organizing weekend events for all of us to enjoy.

This was a summer for the books!

I felt that this program did they best they could to fit us into housing that were in good areas of the city and they had program coordinators that served as priceless resources for us throughout the entire time. They seemed to have covered all their bases.
Guillermo

THE TEA!!!

If you want an honest opinion read this!!!
Studying abroad has always been something that I wanted to do for a long time. Coming into this I had many expectations, and they were beyond fulfilled. It all started with my arrival day, they were waiting for me at the front door. After my roommates arrived I noticed how much we had in common and became really close in short time. I met so many other people in the program that I’m thankful for and will plan yearly trips with (aka the Queens) . The Coordinators Inma and Saskia are honestly the best duo it is clear that they love what they do and are good at it. They took care of everyone when it came to medical visits, problems with your internships and issues with your roommates. But at the same time they made sure that you got the experience of living on your own. I was worried about housing because it took a while for us to hear about where we would live. but now that I know that they tried to match us at their best of their ability and seeing how close me and my roommates are is all worth it. The trips that the program planned were amazing and had so much fun every time, it was not your typical chaperone field trip because Inma and saskia made sure to treat us like adults and give us freedom but at the same time making sure we were fine. The only down about the program I would say is the amazing sightseeing, food and people. They will make you fall in love and gain weight. I want to move here because that’s how amazing this experience has been. I would definitely recommend it to anyone. If you have questions reach me on ig: @wherearethetops
Warning: I might convince you to go abroad.

What was your funniest moment?
I got closed to many of the people in the program and me and my best friend started this thing called the Dumb Bitch crown and is usually handed to someone that has been bamboozled or has said something dumb and it was funny every time the crown was passed down.
Trevor

Excellent international resume builder

Going into my senior year I knew that having a unique and impressive internship on my resume would help to set myself apart from my peers. Good intern experience is extremely difficult to come by without having good connections. Fortunately, I found GE and they have the best connections in many international locations. My goal was to have an internship that would give me some noteworthy experience to add to my resume to set myself apart from my peers who would otherwise appear identical on paper. In that aspect, GE has exceeded my expectations. My internship experience has by far been the best addition to my resume that I could imagine. The GE staff worked hard to pair me with the perfect internship that has helped me to grow professionally

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
The group activities were one of the highlights. I would have planned around these events so that I could attend them
Aimee

The Best Summer of My Life

Traveling and living abroad is amazing no matter what city you are in. If you are committed to learning something new about yourself, I promise you traveling is the way to do it. I have experienced an extremely healthy dose of uncomfortability this summer that has coaxed me into becoming a more understanding, patient individual. Every single person can benefit from leaving their comfort zone. You just have to be willing to try.

For me, Barcelona might have been too easy. I wish I would have practiced more Spanish. Regardless, learning about a different culture and observing how people interact differently than what you are used to is extremely interesting. One of my favorite parts about this adventure was how much I learned about people, and about myself.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
STOP SPEAKING ENGLISH AND PRACTICE YOUR SPANISH. If I redid this exact trip, I would have gone somewhere smaller than Barcelona, where there is no english spoken.
Guillermo

READ THIS

You want all the tea let me give it to you!!!
Studying abroad has always been one of my goals, coming into this program I had many expectations. All them were fulfilled and I got more than what I expected. It all started with me meeting my roommates on the first day, not only roommates but friends for life. I met one of my best friends who I am planning many trips for the future. Met other friends from other houses who we refer ourselves as QUEENS. The internship Coordinators are AMAZING, Inma and Saskia made sure everyone was okay at all times while making sure they were getting the leaving on your own experience. They are QUEENS !!! And trust me it has a lot of requirements to be one ;). They placed me at a wonderful internship with a great supervisor who was not the typical “I’m your boss and I’m smarter than you person” she helped me grow a lot as a person and in my professional career. If you want a wonderful summer and great internship I would recommend you to do Global Experiences in Barcelona. I got to travel during the weekend and usually worked something out with my supervisors to get a day off to extend my travels. The only down is that I ate too much food (specially patatas bravas) so if you’re not ready to have the best summer of your life and eat good then this program is not for you.

There’s nothing to improve! I think that the program it’s very well organized. I was scared at first because I didn’t hear about housing until the last 3 weeks but now that I know that they paired us with the best match I am more then contempt.
Katie

A Dream Come True

As someone who had already graduated, I was hesitant to intern abroad but I am so so so happy and grateful that I did! Being able to explore my career interests in marketing and event planning all while enjoying the excitement and adventure that Barcelona has to offer is something that I can't even put in words. Traveling/studying abroad is one thing, but if you have the opportunity to do it through Global Experiences I highly recommend it. The support leading up and throughout the program was amazing. By the time I arrived I felt like everything was taken care of - housing, insurance, recommendations, and a ton of amazing events. I think the best part was being there with so many other students who were in the exact same position as me. We were all so open to new experiences and to making friends that by the end we truly felt so close. This is something that will stick with me for the rest of my life and I am so grateful for that. You can talk about how great it is but you really won't know first hand until you experience it. I HIGHLY recommend GE! :)

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve racking moment for me was the 'unknown' factor. As I arrived I really didn't know what to expect but right away my roommates and I began to hang out and get to know each other and it eased all my nerves. Especially because you remember that sort of everyone feels that way and you're all on the journey together.
Alexander

Amazing Experience in Barcelona

My Global Experiences internship in Barcelona was an amazing experience all around. Working in Spain took me out of my comfort zone and taught me how to adapt and still work hard in different situations. Living in a city such as Barcelona was also incredible, providing countless opportunities to learn about Spanish culture and grow as a person. The Global Experiences staff was top notch in all areas, and they were always available and willing to help our group out with anything. The program is a good balance. It is planned out very well with excursions and fun cultural experiences, but the work is also productive and beneficial. Thanks to Global Experiences, I have grown this summer both professionally and personally while in Barcelona.

Come to Barcelona or whichever city you choose with an open mind and research both popular tourist attractions and hidden gems to visit while there. Also, wander around as you will almost definitely discover unexpected places.
Daniel

Look no further than Global Experiences

Interning abroad in Barcelona through Global Experiences is hands down one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only did I gain great professional experience, but I also made new friends and immersed myself in a completely new culture. The on site program staff, Inma and Saskia, were amazing, and their passion for this program and its participants was radiant. The housing, program events, and overall sense of community were all thanks to the hard work and devotion of these awesome advisors. Going into the program, I wasn't sure how the quality of housing would be, but all of the accommodations were super nice and exceeded my expectations by far. The apartments were all in great, central locations; this was huge for me as it really made me feel like a true Spaniard living in downtown Barcelona. If you have any doubts about interning in Spain or anywhere else, do it through Global Experiences... you will have the time of your life and leave with friends and memories for life.

Get out and experience the city right away. The time flies by, so make new friends early on and get out of your comfort zone.
Kelley

Incredible opportunity I won't stop talking about for a while!

I have already begun to recommend some of my friends to complete a Global Experiences Internship in Barcelona. It was an amazing opportunity that brought me growth in all aspects of my life. As a student-athlete, I had the opportunity to train in Barcelona while also working and meeting new people. My job gave me experience and knowledge that will shape me into a successful professional in the future and through my internship, I gained strong relationships with my coworkers and supervisors. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity with other students from around the world and a program with staff who truly valued our experiences in Barcelona. Everything from the housing placement to each event planned during our trip was detailed and executed so that every intern would have an amazing time. Barcelona is an amazingly safe and exciting cosmopolitan city with new places to explore everywhere and I have already started planning my trip back.

To be open-minded and excited to all new opportunities. A lot of things will not go as planned or expected and this is one of the most special things about this experience. I met incredible people unlike to anyone I had ever met before and I embraced this and allowed it to shape my experience positively.

Location:
72 F / 43 F
Airports:
Barcelona–El Prat
( BCN )

Whether you prefer beaches, buildings, or history, Barcelona is the place to be. Spend your time admiring Gaudi's work at La Sagrada Familia, walking down the Mar Bella beach, or learning about the history in Catalonia.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Global Experiences

Global Experiences believes that everyone deserves a career they love, and their mission is to help young people find their paths sooner in life. Global Experiences internship programs open doors for young people to enrich their lives personally and...