Internship on a Working Wyoming Ranch

Experience horses in their natural habitat, grazing in sage-covered pastures between rides.
HorseWorks
HorseWorks
Feel the breeze in your hair as you canter after the horses.
Feel the breeze in your hair as you canter after the horses.
Horses in their natural habitat, right outside your cabin door.
Horses in their natural habitat, right outside your cabin door.
Enjoy improving your horsemanship by working with beautiful horses of different ages and breeds.
Your cabin is your home away from home.
Your cabin is your home away from home.
Have the best experience and meet new people
Have the best experience and meet new people
Time by the campfire
Time by the campfire

If you are passionate about horses & want to improve your horsemanship, this amazing program includes riding & groundwork, cattle working from the ground & from horseback (team penning, rounding up, sorting), & off-ranch activities during downtime, like the Cody Nite Rodeo, soaking in the hot springs, or a visit to Yellowstone National Park. Build on whatever experience you bring to the program. Your days are planned around your goals, which you elaborate for us in your Application, with some unscheduled events thrown in, like the birth of a calf or a foal. Other opportunities to observe real ranch work include animal care & maintenance like de-worming, vaccinating, & shoeing the horses. Get hands-on!
Arrive on Sunday. We meet all flights into Cody, WY that day. Stay 1, 2 or 3 weeks. Monday morning of your stay, you'll be oriented to the ranch & horses, familiarized with our horsemanship techniques, then matched with your horse to head out on the trail to experience the West!

• Ride the beautiful hills of Wyoming and improve your riding skills on a horse matched to your comfort level.
  • Immerse yourself in the daily life of the ranch from morning to night.
  • Observe and practice the natural horsemanship techniques we use to train our ranch-raised horses.
  • Participate in calf-watch and foal-watch as new babies are born on the ranch.
  • Round out your cowboy and cowgirl experience with off-ranch activities, like the Cody Nite Rodeo, as soak in the hot springs, river rafting and a trip to Yellowstone National Park.

Paula

Horseworks

I traveled to horseworks in June of 2019. I was looking for inauthentic Western Ranch experience and I feel like I received that experience. It was awesome to meet so many people from all over the world. First of all we were given the time at the beginning of the trip to introduce ourselves have a little time to talk about we were looking forward to doing during the week. Being a working Ranch, we had chores to do. However, we were given the opportunity to choose specific chores. Also some of the animals had medical issues And had to be treated. Since we worked in teams, those of us who were not as familiar with that were able to work with others who did know what to do. I definitely plan to return!

Laura

Changed my life

I am a life long horse nut, but had decided to make a career in banking. I was 10 years into my career and had risen to a senior level in an investment bank when I first came to Horseworks. Working horses the western way and learning from Nate and MaeCile was amazing. There was so much I had never considered as an English rider. Fast forward five years and I'm no longer an investment banker, but instead I work with horses full time. I have also been back to Horseworks several times.
The accommodation is in cozy cabins. I love walking down to my cabin after a delicious dinner and enjoy the amazing Wyoming night sky with billions of stars. You can hear the cattle and the horses moving and chewing on their hay. If you are very lucky you may also hear a coyote calling it's friends. So many opportunities to see wildlife here.

Nothing. The program is fabulous. It is a full immersion into western way of life.
Hugo

Fantastic time training horses in the heart of Wyoming!

Being back in 2019 was the 4th time I returned to work with MaeCile at HorseWorks in Wyoming - coming from across the world (Sweden) I make this trip once a year to be able to really fullfil my urge to experience the real Wyoming and get an opportunity to work with horses. I love all the the things about HorseWork - a place where you really get to participate in the all of the activities that comes with Ranching, perfect if you want a true working experience and get a hands-on ranch experience.

HorseWorks Wyoming is truly the opportunity to really enjoy horses and riding regardless of your age, background or horseback riding experience.

Prepare yourself to get up early in the morning and get your hands dirty while participating in the work on the ranch! A great time!
Luke

An Adventure to last a lifetime - literally!

While looking for a place to visit on my gap year, with a fierce love of riding (despite having not done it as much as I'd have liked) and not work-shy, I stumbled across Horseworks Wyoming. Reading into it, it sounded like a lovely opportunity to do some amazing riding in the most perfect scenery possible for Western riding and learn to be a cowboy at the same time. Boy was I not disappointed.

From the Western riding gear, horses and rustic lifestyle to the stunning scenery and rope skills, Horseworks held the key to the perfect cowboy lifestyle. Working as a team to care for the animals and help each other out, riding our way up, over and around rolling hills in the ever-changing (but often sunny) Wyoming weather, whipping out the ropes for some afternoon lasso practice or choosing to spend the afternoon bathing in the local hot springs, Horseworks as it all.

I should emphasise that this is no dude ranch. This is THE perfect place to develop horse-sense skills and learn everything you possibly can. The ranch owner, MaeCile, will try to accommodate your interests and help you to push yourself and develop new skills. She is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to understanding, working with and training horses. It's the perfect opportunity to learn how to listen to and understand your horse and take your riding to the next level, rather than just sitting on a horse.

I say it's an adventure to last a lifetime and I really mean it. Once you get a taste for the lifestyle you can never let go. Once you've been welcomed into the Horseworks family it really is that, a family of people from all over the world that will always know a home at the ranch tucked away in the hills and plains of beautiful Wyoming.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Horseworks is a place perfectly designed to expand your horizons and constantly push yourself to learn new things. Having been a fairly new rider, I'd built my confidence riding a few of the horses and was keen to push myself on another horse, a mule (Bamba) to be precise. To build both my confidence and the confidence of the mule, MaeCile and I took her into the round-pen to do groundwork, working with Bamba to gain some understanding as to how she would move and respond while riding. Having gained some fantastic insight from the very knowledgeable MaeCile and begun building rapport with Bamba, it was time for a ride. What followed was one of my most enjoyable rides yet and I instantly fell in love. If you've never ridden a mule before, I highly recommend giving it a go at least once! Bamba was, from then on, my go to horse/mule.

To summarise - Horseworks, great for teaching, building experience and trying something new. All done in the right way!
Aly

Home away from home

I don't even know how to capture my Horseworks experience in only a few words. After my first visit in 2016 I've come back every year. The ranch has become my home away from home and the people there have become family. You never know what to expect on a single day but it's always an adventure and for those willing to be open to new things and be flexible, it's the best thing you can do. I've gotten so many amazing opportunities at the ranch that have shaped me into a more strong and confident woman! When I first came to the ranch I was shy and quiet but MaeCile and the wranglers taught me so much and inspired me to come back and become a wrangler myself. I have discovered more about myself and my own strengths. It has helped me accomplish a lot of amazing things these past years, like finishing the toughest horse race in the world, The Mongol Derby, and starting my own business, a horse travel agency. My horsemanship skills have improved so much. I got the opportunity to work with lots of different horses at horseworks and even train my 'own' young horse. It is an experience I will never forget and I'm still planning on coming back again as soon as I can!

Be open to new experiences and be flexible. If you take every opportunity you will learn and grow so much. This is not for those who want luxury or a set schedule but it's an adventure. Definitely fit for solo travellers, I have met some truly amazing and inspiring people.
Tallulah

Helped me go to uni

What we did with the horses was really helpful. I saw what to do step by step when starting a new horse. I got to practice doing everything as well so I knew what to do when I got home. As I was the youngest, I was the first person to lie over and sit on Maddie and girlie and by the end of the week, I was riding them around the barn with just a halter and rope. I helped missy get over her fear of people getting off too. I got to ride Phoenix twice as well, a lovely 4 year old. He helped me realize how different it is riding a horse that is still “learning” to riding a horse that has been ridden for years. I now know that you have to be very consistent with your cues and not let them learn bad habits. This will help me in the future with my horse.

I had such an amazing time and all the experiences I had helped me make up my mind and go to uni to study equine science and therapy! I gained so much knowledge which is helping me now to work with a mare.

Only bring one pair of cowboy boots as I brought loads of shoes I didn’t wear that filled my suitcase up!
Tessa

An extreme experience

Last september I went to horseworks with my boyfriend. All the people working and living on the ranch were so friendly from the first day it immediately felt like home. They teach you a lot about horses and training but let you decide what you want to work on and take home with you as an experience. Before we came to horseworks we were asked what we wanted to work on and what our experience with horses was at this moment. We both have good experience with horses but did want to learn a lot about training with natural horsemanship. MaeCile told me a lot of stuff about her horses and training and let me work with hunter and spice. Especially Spice stole my heart. He was a lot like the horse I train back home and kept teaching me new stuff everyday. It was a back to basic experience but I think more worth then a luxurious vacation. We already want to go back and learn even more about the training methods and their way of living. It was amazing!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
To not only learn how to deal with horses in a different way but also learning how to deal with different kinds of people. Normally I am really shy with new people. But during this experience I had to work with new people every week. I learned how to open up and communicate with them and not to become really shy again.