Natural Building Internship

Natural Building Internship

Community Rebuilds invites groups of 16 interns to take part in a five-month program to learn the art of straw bale construction. Under the guidance of our natural building experts, interns will build two homes from foundation to finish -- taking part in forming the foundation, framing, straw bale installation, natural plastering, and finish details; with supplemental workshops on solar energy and permaculture. No experience in building is necessary. Our program structure is unique, as we are the only ones providing this education free of cost, while simultaneously providing energy-efficient, AFFORDABLE housing to local, income-qualifying residents.

Additionally, Community Rebuilds is located in one of the most spectacular areas of the United States -- Moab, UT. Nestled between the La Sal mountain range and the Colorado River, be prepared to spend five months of your life surrounded by world-class hiking, camping, climbing, skiing, rafting, kayaking, and breathtaking scenery.

North America » United States of America
Cover Letter
Letters of Recommendation
Phone / Skype Interview
Age Requirement
Language Requirement
Visa Requirement
Weekly Hours
The Natural Building Internship program is free of cost! However interns will be required to pay for their own travel to and from Moab, UT. Community Rebuilds also provides communal housing, bulk foods and a $100 monthly food stipend.
Moab, UT

Casper
Partille

Community Rebuilds

I thought it was great living and working with such great people. Was really nice with all the excursions, pizza parties, dinner gatherings in general, tips we got about work opportunities, acces to bikes, all the books...
So cool getting comfortable with all the Power Tools, learn about all the different steps of the process of building a house.
Really liked the stretch circles in the morning with the mood check-ins.

What I experienced negatively was someone being extremely un
not being able to take constructive criticism without getting defensive, using scaring tactics- telling us how behind we were, how we're not gonna have any Days off if we keep working like this- rather than telling us when we're doing good, what we're doing well.. Wasn't fun coming to works a couple of weeks when he was stressed and grumpy all the time. We had a talk to him, saying we worked much better with compliments when we've been working well and he tried and it shifted drastically, everyone suddenly got much more efficient until he got grumpy again.
Didn't like being around someone who wouldn't take any responsibility for how we worked, obviously not undrstanding that his attitude and energy is probably what affects us more than anything. When he was in a good mood though I learned tons and he took time to teach me stuff and he was super friendly. He obviously had tons of knowledge just not as a teacher.

It's an intense program and if it would be possible in the future I Think having your own room and maybe working a couple hours less per week would make us much more at comfortable and be left with more energy when we're working. Much more efficient.

Jordan
Tampa
Baldwin-Wallace College

One-of-a-Kind Opportunity

I have searched long and hard for something similar to this....and I don't think it exists.

This program is a remarkably unique and rewarding! Spend five months building two strawbale houses from foundation to finish and pay NOTHING for privilege. No prior building experience required, and you get housing and food money. They'll teach you everything you need to know and you'll leave feeling like a pro.

These people have hearts of gold and will inspire you to do more for the Earth and your community. You'll work with 15 other kind and thoughtful people like yourself, and you'll be welcomed by the warm community of Moab. The area is one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds, so if you like to explore the outdoors, you might just decide to move there (I've met those people).

I had a fabulous experience and I doubt I'll find another like it. If you're at all interested in sustainable building, passive design, or even just love playing in the mud, then you cannot miss out on this opportunity! Apply now while it's still new and not extremely competitive..

Based in Moab, UT, Community Rebuilds helps income-qualifying homeowners build affordable, energy efficient homes using straw bale construction. Through our volunteer intern program, we provide valuable education and skills in natural building to young emerging professionals, and provide the community with sustainable, affordable housing. Our