- A passport from the UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand
- A bachelor’s degree in any field - no teaching experience required
- A 120-hour, internationally accredited TEFL/TESOL certificate or equivalent qualification - which TravelBud provides in Thailand prior to placement
- Between 20 and 45 years of age
- JOB SECURITY: TravelBud guarantees you a teaching job in carefully vetted schools where every effort is made to match placement preferences.
- SALARY: Earn salaries of $800 – $1300 USD per month (30,000 to 45,000 Thai baht) and live comfortably because of the low cost of living.
- TRAVEL: You’ll get all official public holidays, as well as 2 and a half months of school holidays plus weekends off for travel adventures.
- SUPPORT: We walk you through everything you need to know before you depart to Thailand and from the moment you touch down, you'll continue to receive 24/7 support from our in-country team who will be on hand for you throughout your placement.
- TEFL CERTIFICATION: You will graduate with an Internationally Accredited 120 hour in-class TEFL/TESOL certificate that never expires and can be used to teach all over the world.
- PLACEMENT ONLY: If you already have an accredited TEFL/TESOL certificate you may qualify for our placement only program.
- TEACHER NETWORK: A support network of fellow teachers where you can meet other like-minded individuals who are experiencing the same pleasures and challenges you are.
- PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL GROWTH: When you do head back home, you’re not just another resume in a pile of resumes - you are someone different who’s done something interesting and rewarding.
- LIFETIME PLACEMENT: Once you’ve completed your contract, we can guarantee you a position at another partner school throughout Asia for which you are eligible, at no additional charge to you.
For the past 10 years, TravelBud has helped thousands of teachers successfully navigate the intricacies of teaching abroad by offering guaranteed job placements at the most trusted schools, country-specific and online Internationally Accredited TEFL/TESOL Certification, In-depth Cultural Orientations to help you settle into your new environment and award-winning helpful support from start to finish including pre-departure and 24/7 in-country.
In addition the personal assistance and 24/7 support we provide, you’ll also have a support network of fellow teachers where you can meet other like-minded individuals who are experiencing the same pleasures and challenges you are.
We know the key to success is well-trained, culturally-adjusted, and emotionally-supported teachers and we understand from direct experience that working and traveling abroad is a challenging, fulfilling and deeply rewarding personal experience.
Get paid to teach English in one of Asia's most exciting and culturally immersive destinations.
Teaching English in Thailand is our most popular program as it gives you the opportunity to teach for one semester (5-6 months) or extend up to a full year or even more!
All you need to qualify is to have a bachelor's degree in any field of study (with no previous teaching experience required) and be a citizen of one of the following countries:
- South Africa
- New Zealand.
When can I start?
2023 Intake Dates
- 25 September 2023 - ENROL ASAP
- 30 October 2023 - CLOSING SOON
- 27 November 2023
2024 Intake Dates
- 2 January 2024
- 29 January 2024
- 2 April 2024
- 29 April 2024
- 27 May 2024
- 24 June 2024
- 22 July 2024
- 30 September 2024
- 28 October 2024
- 25 November 2024
- 30 December 2024
TravelBud's Fees include Guaranteed Job Placement
We find you a teaching job to ensure you have the maximum work hours allowed under your visa.
- You’ll have more time to make friends and adjust to the culture.
- You can focus on enjoying your new lifestyle knowing your income is secured.
- With TravelBud, we walk you through everything you need to know before you depart to Thailand and from the moment you touch down, you'll receive 24/7 support from our in-country team who will be on hand for you throughout your teaching placement for anything you need help with - be it big or small.
We offer full-time positions to teach children of varying ages including
- Primary (elementary and middle)
- High school
Placements are mainly in public and private schools.
If you already have an internationally accreddited TEFL/TESOL certification, you may qualify for our placement only program. Placement-only candidates will join one of the in-country orientation weeks before heading to their placements. During the orientation week, candidates will meet with the placements team to discuss their preferences and work together to find a suitable placement. By doing the in-country orientation, the participant will be able to experience a full Thai cultural program as part of a group, meeting many other teachers who are also going to teach in Thailand.
Placements are for 1 semester (4 to 5 months) or for 1 year and can be renewed if you’d like to stay and continue to teach for more than a year.
What are the working hours?
- You will generally teach for 16 to 25 hours per week. That’s about 4 or 5 hours a day.
- School hours are usually from about 7:30am to 4pm and you will be expected to be at the school for the whole day, but you won’t be teaching all the time.
- You’ll use your extra time at school to mark, prepare lessons and spend time with the kids.
- If you teach kindergarten, your teaching hours might be different. This will be communicated to you once your placement has been finalised.
Holidays in Thailand
You may get all 16 official public holidays off and paid. School holidays are typically from 2-3 months. It is rare for teachers to be paid during these months however it depends on the school. You'll have plenty of time for travel adventures!
What is the dress code for teaching English in Thailand?
Men are expected to wear smart trousers and a collared shirt. Depending on the school you may also be required to wear a tie.
Women are expected to where a skirt and a smart shirt or blouse or a dress. Some schools may permit women to wear trousers. The dress code varies depending on the school but you should plan to dress to impress.
Can couples be placed together?
This can be done, but not always at the same school. The schools may be within the same town. For participants travelling in couples or friends, they need to be extremely flexible and open to placement location.
Do schools provide lunch?
Some do but not all. This will depend on each individual employer and their policy.
Is transportation from my accommodation to work included?
Some schools will assist teachers with transportation but this is very rare. However, public transport in Thailand is very good.
What islands placements are there?
Phuket, however positions in this province are hard to get, as availability is limited.
Are there sports after school that you have to attend or teach?
This will depend on your school. In most cases, teaching activities out with work hours is voluntary, however they do have concerts, cultural festivals and after school activities every now and again that you will be expected to attend.
After my contract can I still travel in the country or do I need to leave straight away?
You can stay as long as you like as long as you have a job and you maintain a legal visa status.
Can I renew my working contract and visa without leaving the country?
It’s possible but you’re much more likely to have to do a visa trip. Speak to our enrolment coordinators who will advise you on everything you need to know about Visa trips.
How long is the working visa valid for?
It depends. Typically, 6 months or 1 year depending on length of contract.
Are there organized activities during evenings and weekends?
You evenings and weekends will usually be your own. TravelBud do hold meet ups for teachers throughout Thailand at different throughout the year. These meet ups are a great we to meet up with old friends and meet new people who are in your area.
Will I receive any language lessons? How will I understand my students?
During your orientation week and TESOL course you will have several Thai language lessons to get you started. One of the key things to remember in your classroom is to gesture your directions. You may find that your students have a lower proficiency of English than you were expecting, but overtime you will learn to communicate with your students and colleagues.
Where is the best place to work?
This will differ from person to person. There are no bad places to work as every person has their own preferences. We find that there are tremendous benefits to working in both rural and urban areas.
What is possibility of second job to make more money?
Many of our teachers take on extra work to build up their monthly income. In some cases, people are able to double their income with extra work on the side. This can be negotiated through your employer or done privately and usually for English tuition.
Medical services and insurance?
We require that participants be fully insured in Thailand with travel insurance for the duration of their stay. This must be arranged prior to as obtaining insurance once you have left your home country can be difficult and expensive. The insurance that schools may provide is too basic to provide good quality medical care.
What is phone and Internet connectivity like?
WIFI can be spotty all over Thailand so we recommend getting a larger data plan on your phone in case you need to hot spot your other devices. Phone connectivity is really good and cheap and there are many places to assist you with this process. TravelBud will provide you with a Thai SIM card upon arrival and will help get you up and running within the first two days of the course.
What if you are unhappy in a job? Can you get a new one?
Yes, but we don’t often find this to be a problem. If the applicant really dislikes the job and they have a good reason, then we can help move them. But they need to understand that this can take time, and we ask that they be patient and flexible.
How difficult is the TEFL/TESOL course? Can I fail?
Yes, you can fail. However, the course staff continuously monitor applicant’s progress and should they feel that an applicant requires additional support it will be offered to them to ensure that they are able to pass the course.
What is the level of English and behavior of students?
This will vary city to city; however, there is typically beginner knowledge of English throughout the country. Thai students are generally well behaved.
What curriculum will they follow at school?
There is no set curriculum; each school will have their own curriculum and procedures.
Will I work with any special needs children?
Yes, probably, but they won’t necessarily be classified as such. They will just be in your normal classes.
What are the chances of schools deducting security money? And how does this work?
Schools may sometimes hold a small portion of salary in escrow until the end of the contract to dissuade teachers from leaving in the middle of a school term. This is, however, a rare policy.
What are the expected deductions from your paycheck? Does is differ from school to school?
Yes, some schools take off tax at 3%. But normally they don’t take off tax for the first year.
Will I get paid overtime?
What are the chances of getting a salary increase?
If you do a good job there is potential to get a pay rise or a resigning bonus.
How is TravelBud Different?
We 100% Guarantee Job Placements and Vet our School Partners Carefully: As soon as your program acceptance has been confirmed, you have 100% secured yourself a job placement at one of our carefully vetted school partners. Our unrivalled job placement process takes your preferences into account.
We provide dedicated pre-departure support and 24/7 in-country support: Worried about preparing for your big move abroad all on your own or having no one to lean on for support when you arrive at your school placement?
With TravelBud, we walk you through everything you need to know before you depart to Thailand and from the moment you touch down, you'll receive 24/7 support from our in-country team who will be on hand for you throughout your teaching placement for anything you need help with - be it big or small.
Our TEFL Certification is tailored specifically to Thailand and includes an In-depth Cultural Immersion: We focus on all the unique elements that come with teach English in Thailand compared to other countries - like the unique cultural etiquette, the working environment, overcoming the language barrier, and managing Thai students effectively.
And with two full days of teaching practice at a local Thai school, you'll graduate more prepared and confident than ever to teach English in Thailand. Our full week of cultural immersion includes lessons on Thai culture, history, politics, and language, with multiple enriching and fun cultural excursions to help you immerse yourself responsibly in your new cultural environment.
We've all taught abroad ourselves: TravelBud was born, and grew out of, the experience our entire team had teaching English abroad. There's nothing we're more passionate about! Based on our own experiences, we have developed holistic Paid Teaching and TEFL Certification programs which encompass all the most important elements we know are needed to ensure the most memorable and life-changing experience when it comes to teaching English abroad.
- Guaranteed job placement at a vetted school within our trusted network
- Salary of between $800 to $1300 (USD) per month, depending on qualifications and placement location
- 1 Week in-depth cultural orientation which includes multiple cultural excursions and lectures on Thai culture and society, history, politics, geography and 7 hours of Thai language classes
- Internationally accredited 120 hour in-class TESOL Certification course, which includes two full days of practical teaching at a Thai school and is tailored specifically to the English language curriculum in Thailand
- Thorough pre-departure support for everything from visa applications, to packing and budget guides and much more - from our experienced team with first-hand experience teaching in Thailand. That's right, we've been there and have done it ourselves!
- 24/7 in-country support throughout your teaching placement
- Airport pickup (provided participants land within five days of start date, and are going to the designated hotel)
- Transfer from Bangkok to Hua Hin for TEFL training and cultural orientation
- Sim card for your mobile phone and assistance with opening a local bank account
- Welcome dinner / Beach BBQ
- Cultural Orientation (detailed further below)
- Single semester or full year contracts available and are renewable
- Free lifetime placement gaurantee: Once you’ve taught in one of the TravelBud schools, we can guarantee you a position at another partner school throughout Asia for which you are eligible, at no additional charge to you.
- It’s a once-off fee for a lifetime of opportunities to make a difference in the lives of your students and travel the world in a sustainable way.
This program is only open to citizens of the following countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
- Neutral accent
- Bachelor's degree is required - no teaching experience required
- Be a minimum of 20 years and maximum of 40 years of age, those aged older or younger will be reviewed on a case by case basis
- Clean criminal record
- A love for foreign cultures and willingness to embrace new challenges
Our program comes with an exceptional cultural orientation which includes airport pickup, a local sim card and assistance with opening a bank account.
We believe in responsible travel and in the context of teaching abroad, that means being culturally sensitive, respectful travelers. Our orientation is done in Thailand, run by a mix of Thai and Western staff and is set up in a way that ensures you understand Thai culture deeply even before you set foot in a classroom.
You'll start teaching feeling much more prepared for your new life abroad, ready to engage with the community you'll be living in and have a rewarding and immersive cultural experience.
Some of what's included on the week-long orientation:
- Learn the basics of speaking Thai with 7 hours of Thai language classes
- Learn about local foods and how to buy them at a traditional local market and cook them at home
- Attend lectures on Thai culture, religion, history, geography and politics by experts in their field
- Attend workshops on working in Thai organizations, working in Thai schools and on being a teacher in the country
- Visit a local monk to learn about the role of Buddhism in everyday Thai life
- Volunteer at a local dog rescue shelter to learn about the plight of street dogs in Southeast Asia and how you can help
- Try your hand (and foot) at Muay Thai - traditional Thai kickboxing - in a group lesson
Internationally Accredited TEFL/TESOL Certification
If you don't have a recognized TESOL, TEFL or CELTA certificate yet, it's not a problem. Our program comes with a highly acclaimed 120-hour in-class TEFL/TESOL course conducted in a small beach town in Thailand which is tailored to the specific requirements of teaching English in Thailand.
You'll learn everything from classroom management to creating lesson plans and the specific issues Thai students battle with when tackling English. Not only that but you'll be able to try out your skills in front of a live class at a local English camp before you head out to your placement school so that you can be sure you'll be ready for whatever Thailand throws at you.
Our TESOL Certification Course includes the following:
- 120 hours of in-class TESOL theory and instruction
- Overview of the history and theory of teaching English as a foreign/second language in Thailand
- Practical training on how to teach speaking, listening, writing, and reading in the Thai classroom
- Attend workshops on working in Thai organizations, working in Thai schools and on being a teacher in the country
- Extensive training on lesson plan development and presentation
- Multiple opportunities to receive and offer feedback with your peers and instructor throughout the course
- Tons of tips and examples on how to teach English to every age group in Thailand
- Extensive training on effective classroom management, being mindful of cultural sensitivities in Thailand
- Two full days of practical teaching at a local Thai school to gain real experience of what it's like to teach in Thailand
Got a TEFL/TESOL certificate already?
Chat with our enrollments team, it may well be accepted by our school network! Then all you'll need is our orientation and placement option!
What our participants say they love most about TravelBud
"A Super Supportive Experience From Start to Finish. It has been the most rewarding experience so far, so much so that I decided to extend my posting for an additional 6 months!"
- Lauren, UK, May 2023
"I was scared to try and find a job on my own, especially as I hadn't traveled much before. You also hear the horror stories, so at least with Travelbud I had someone guiding me. I always felt like I had someone in my corner who was looking out for me!"
- Zamambo, South Africa, July 2022"
"Extremely smooth and informative staff. I'd definitely recommend this experience. I was a little nervous to go so far away from home alone, but they made the process simple in terms of explaining VISAs and all the information I needed."
- Deepali, United Kingdom, October 2022
"We wouldn’t be in Thailand if it wasn’t for TravelBud. We love living in Thailand. Additionally, the network of friends that we’ve made across the country is incredible. Anywhere we travel there are friends we can meet up with and adventure with. TravelBud’s staff are friendly and helpful and we definitely will be teaching through a TravelBud program again in the future!"
- Emily, United States, March 2022
"I would highly recommend Travelbud to anyone wanting to teach abroad. From understanding the Thailand school year to TESOL questions to all of my Visa questions and the long process of getting my teaching degree notarized, authenticated, and legalized, Travelbud was with me every step of the way.Every question I had throughout my year of preparing to go abroad was answered quickly and accurately. It felt like I had a friend holding my hand throughout the process and I LOVED that."
- Katie, USA, March 2020
The TravelBud Team- celebrating 10 years of life-changing teach abroad programs.
Over the last 10 years, we’ve helped thousands of teachers successfully navigate the intricacies of teaching abroad.
Our entire enrollments and support team have teach abroad experience.
When enquiring with us you'll be speaking to one of the following knowledgable and personable former teacher travellers:
Grace - Grace taught English in Anseong, just outside Seoul in South Korea. She'll help you get all the answers to the questions you may have about taking the plunge and going overseas for your amazing teach abroad adventure.
Alyssa - Alyssa was an English, math and science teacher at a private school in a beautiful beach town in Costa Rica. While teaching in Costa Rica, Alyssa was able to experience different cultures and travel to other Latin American countries. She'll help you plan your teach abroad adventure to the best of her ability and share her insights along the way!
James - Following James' teach abroad year in Australia James headed back to study but soon found himself fighting with the unquenchable thirst for travel and made his way back overseas, travelling and working from the cold and wet Moorlands of Northumberland to the Sandy shores of Sun-kissed St Tropez. James will guide you through all your options for your teach abroad adventure.
Saskia - Saskia is CEO at TravelBud and taught English in Thailand. She's responsible for overseeing your success teaching abroad. Whether it’s your nerves that need calming or advice on budgets, Saskia is always here to help you on your way to your life-changing adventure!
Kim - Kim lived in Joenju, South Korea, working as an English teacher at two public schools and one boarding school in Wanju. Since then, she's been involved various education initiaties, held the position of enrollment coordinator, was a lead instructor for both online and in-class TEFL/TESOL courses and most recently was a Program & Placement Manager for our South Korea program!
Ben - Ben lived and taught English in the former capital city of Ayutthaya in Thailand. Since returning to South Africa, Ben has become passionate about helping other people to get the opportunity he had to experience a new part of the world and broaden his horizons.
Chelsea - Chelsea moved to Jiangsu province in China and worked as an English Teacher for 5 years at a training centre, a public shcool and an international school. She will assist you with all your support questions and help guide you smoothly throughout your experience.
Read more about the TravelBud team at https://travelbud.com/about/