International TEFL Academy TEFL Courses & Job Search Guidance

International TEFL Academy TEFL Courses & Job Search Guidance

Interested in getting paid to travel the world? With International TEFL Academy’s Online TEFL class, you’ll be qualified to teach English in 80+ countries worldwide.

Are You...

- A native English speaker from the U.S. or Canada over the age of 21?
- Looking for a way to make money while living abroad in Europe, Asia, Latin America, or the Middle East?
- Passionate about education and eager to earn your accredited TEFL certificate?

If yes, then armed with your ITA TEFL certification & our lifetime job search guidance, you'll be able to find professional English teaching jobs in countries like Spain, Costa Rica, and South Korea.

A job teaching English abroad is a fantastic way to gain professional work experience, learn a new language, make new friends, and ultimately one of the best ways to make money while traveling and living abroad.

Why is International TEFL Academy the Right Choice?

• One-on-One Pre-Enrollment Guidance: What TEFL class is best for me? What country is best for me? How much money do I need to bring with me? Your own personal ITA advisor will help you navigate these questions about TEFL certification, teaching abroad, and many more! Your advisor will educate you on how to find English teaching jobs in 80+ countries around the world before enrolling in your class. Your advisor will help you decide if teaching English abroad is a good fit for you!
  • Professional Level TEFL Certification Courses: We offer accredited TEFL certification courses online (11 weeks online) and in-person (4 weeks) in 25 locations worldwide that exceed international professional standards of instructor qualifications, class, and student teaching hours.
  • We Have Been in YOUR shoes: Everyone on the ITA staff has extensive experience international experience. Travel is in our blood. It’s our passion to help people realize how realistic this dream of living & working abroad can be. We all appreciate the challenges & rewards of living, traveling, and working abroad from first-hand experience.
  • One-on-One Job Search Guidance: How do I find a job? How do I make friends? What paperwork do I need for my visa? Once enrolled in any ITA TEFL class, you’ll work with our team of expert job search advisors to help you out with these three questions and many, many more. Enjoy access to the most comprehensive job resources & guidance on the planet to help you navigate international job markets around the world.
  • Access to ITA Worldwide Alumni Network: Exclusive opportunities to network, connect, and correspond with our 15,000 ITA alumni teaching English across the globe. This is a great way to meet friends before you head out & get your questions answered by current ITA alumni on the ground abroad.

How Do I Get Started?

Contact International TEFL Academy for your starter brochure or call us directly at 773-634-9900 & start working with your personal Admission Advisors. Your advisor will work with you one-on-one to answer your all of your questions, go over your options & set up your game plan to see the world. Your advisor will be happy to speak with you as many times as you need to go over job markets, hiring requirements, TEFL course options & much more.

Your journey begins now so let’s get in touch & let’s get started!

North America » United States of America
Training Length
120hours
Job Placement
Hotel

Hi! Traveling & living abroad with a pet is possible, but regulations for bringing in a pet from outside will vary by country. Also, you need to consider other factors, such as the costs of transporting a pet abroad, finding housing that will accept the pet, and making sure that your pet has proper documentation and vaccinations. You should talk to your vet, and research individual countries to se...
Hey Nora, It's a requirement to have a 4-year-university degree to teach English in South Korea. It's not something that we require as an organization, but the entire country of South Korea requires teachers to have a degree. - ITA
Hi Amanda, To use the job search assistance from International TEFL Academy you need to be one of our students. ITA is not a placement agency, we are a TEFL school and like all schools, job assistance is for the school's students. We suggest you ask your TEFL school for job assistance. Unfortunately we get over 500 people a month contacting us for job assistance who were TEFL certified from anothe...
A 4-year degree is not required to take a TEFL class and it is possible to teach English abroad without a 4-year degree (particularly if you get a TEFL certification). There are some countries - like South Korea, Japan, and Dubai, for example - where it is basically a legal requirement that teachers possess a 4-year degree to get a visa to work legally as a teacher. That said, there are about 50 c...

• Instruction
  • Difficulty
  • Job Assistance

Megan

International TEFL Academy

International TEFL Academy is an absolutely incredible program! Not only is the coursework applicable to teaching in the ESL classroom, but their constant support and guidance is priceless. The team at International TEFL Academy have experience in the ESL job network and they know how to advice their student. This program is perfect for anyone looking to teach English abroad! Thanks to International TEFL Academy, I have been teaching abroad for 2 years and plan to make this my life-long career!

Response from International TEFL Academy

Thanks Megan for the great review we are excited to hear that we have helped your fulfill your dream of teaching abroad! We look forward to hearing more of your adventures abroad.

Daisy
South Korea
University of Ulster- Jordanstown

TEFL Course - Chicago

I undertook my TEFL course with ITA in October 2015. It was my third attempt at trying the TEFL course. I had signed up for TEFL courses, with different institutions, in Thailand and Costa Rica, in 2015. However, the way TEFL was being taught in Thailand and Costa Rica was not for me. The way that TEFL was taught with International TEFL Academy - Chicago was for me :). The institution and staff are; friendly, professional and the course was wonderful. The instructors were excellent - supportive, positive and engaging.
In 2016, I worked as an ESL teacher in Colombia, S.America for a year. This was amazing - I had the opportunity to work on a very exciting project, also through the organization I got a teaching job with, Volunteers Colombia (it was paid :)).
This year, 2017, I am working in S.Korea in a private school. I love this.
The course with ITA is a very high quality, and gives a standard of TEFL that a lot of recruiters ask for.

Michael
Gainesville, FL
Austin Peay State University

COURSE REVIEW

The course was detailed and the format was great! It was difficult at times downloading the material. This was due more to my neophyte computer skills.
Whenever I needed assistance there was always someone available to assist.
Those who assisted were knowledgeable and provided positive feedback (they were also patient)
The course I believe was excellent in getting me prepared for teaching overseas.
The projects required detail planning and creativity. It was a positive and challenging experience

Kristi

Go abroad with ITA

ITA is was super helpful and informative. They set you up with an advisor from the beginning and help you. My questions were always answered within a day and I was never left in the dark or to figure things out on my own. I took the course online which is great because I was able to still work and earn my certification. They provide with as much information as you need and the tools to succeed. I will always recommend ITA to anyone

Edward
Iraq
University of Missouri- Columbia

International TEFL Academy--A Fantastic Value!

I took an online TEFL certification course with ITA in October-December 2016. I found it to be thoroughly impressive overall; as a result, it prepared me comprehensively for teaching overseas. As someone who entered the course as an experienced university instructor, I particularly benefited from the course's consistent focus on the unique demands and opportunities of international TEFL teaching. A strong element of the program is its use of instructors with extensive teaching experience. The guidance my teacher provided has proved over and over to be very helpful to me and my students.

edward
San Diego
California State University- Long Beach

Challenging yet fun course

I enjoyed learning about how to teach the English language and teaching in general. I feel that this course was great for the person that is looking to start an experience to share knowledge. It was my first online course ever and It was very user friendly to navigate online. The staff of TEFL academy were all very helpful. The program is expensive but I feel it is worth it. The job search guidance alone is very helpful. The instructor feedback is great and provides an idea of how you can improve in future teaching endeavors.

Mike

Great School

ITA gives you all of the information you need to be a fully capable TEFL teacher overseas. When I first registered for the course, I was intimidated by the thought of standing in front of a classroom, expected to have lesson plans drawn up, ready to teach a class. Now, I have all the confidence and knowledge in order to be an effective teacher. Registration was very simple and the instructors are more than qualified with higher level degrees and years of TESOL experience. I was willing to pay the higher cost for this school because it delivers a high-quality product and is internationally recognized unlike some of the cheap, generic online programs from other schools. I am very happy I decided to go with ITA.

N/A. No complaints whatsoever.

Zem
France
Harvard University

Certification TEFL

La certification TEFL a permis d'avoir beaucoup plus d'ouverture dans le monde du travail. C'est pas évident d'apprendre une langue étrangère aussi efficacement. Il y a aussi cet excellent site qui donne des cours d'ukrainien intensif par skype. Les cours sont adaptés pour chaque niveau, avec des professionnels très qualifiés. Je souhaite bonne chance à tout le monde qui veulent s'y aventurer. N'hésitez-pas, TEFL est très recommandé.

TRANSLATION:

The TEFL certification made it possible to have much more openness in the world of work. It's not easy to learn a foreign language as effectively. There is also this excellent site which gives intensive Ukrainian classes by skype. The courses are adapted for each level, with highly qualified professionals. I wish good luck to everyone who wants to venture there. Do not hesitate, TEFL is very recommended.

Katie
Sheridan, TX
Southwestern University

Best decision I've ever made!

I remember a year and a half ago sitting behind a desk and being so unfulfilled with the way I was spending my life. I need a change, some excitement, an adventure! After doing some research I decided I would start with the International TEFL Academy due to the amount of free resources available just on the website alone.
I was put in contact with Michael who was like an angel sent from heaven. He answered every single question I had, plus gave me a ton of encouragement, plus shared his own experience teaching abroad. Because he provided such great help, along with all the resources I was given I knew this is the place I had to use to peruse a new path.
Before I knew it I had signed up for my TEFL certification class and had decided Prague would be my destination of choice. The online course was INCREDIBLY convenient and fit into my busy schedule perfectly. The information I was given on Prague, along with my own research, really helped prepare me for my future endeavour.
Knowing that for the rest of my life I can use the TEFL Academy as a resource and source of guidance is amazing and is really one of their best features! Literally, one of the best decisions I ever made was following a crazy whim and choosing this company to help me get there.

The only thing I would suggest is making sure all online professors are easily accessible for the students. I would have like to have stronger and quicker communication between the professor and I.
Also maybe appointing someone who currently lives in each country, as someone all graduates can go to for advice, information, and a friendly face upon arrival into their chosen destination would be incredibly helpful.

Jaques
Coschocton

Online TEFL Class and an Excellent Practicum Experience

I completed International TEFL Academy's online TEFL class in 2014. I had never taught before and I was extremely nervous about the class and the practicum. I was traveling through Argentina and Uruguay at the time so I was also concerned about the flexibility.
My admissions advisor assured me that the class would be 8 - 12 hours per week and taking the class in Argentina and Uruguay would be great for my practicum experience.
She was right. It was a great experience because I did my 20 hours of practicum in Argentina and Uruguay so I was able to get my feet wet in a Latin American classroom before my big move to Ecuador.
I had weekly communication with Havvah in the Student Affairs Department. She assisted me with all my questions concerning the class and preparation for Ecuador.
I would highly recommend International TEFL Academy to everyone. Their class and assistance is extraordinary.

Jennie
San Diego, California

Highly Recommend ITA Online Course

For many, myself included, deciding which company to receive your TEFL certification from can seem completely overwhelming. Where do you even begin?

What it came down to for me was my initial first impression of their website. How user-friendly it is, how professional it looks and the wealth of information provided before even engaging with a representative. ITA provided all of this! One I made the first step to being contacted, an admissions advisor (Felicia) contacted me within 24 hours.

Felicia, Havvah (my student affairs advisor), and all professors and staff I worked with (in my course, as well as the webinars I watched and listened to) have all lived and worked abroad teaching English. They are all very well suited to answer any questions you may have on the experience.

If you haven’t already picked a destination, they can help you solidify one based on your needs and goals. If you already know your location you’ll automatically be assigned a team familiar with your country. Your advisors will work with you throughout your course, and even after, to ensure you have all that is necessary to apply for jobs, get the job and what the heck to do when you actually land the job!

Once you've started your course, you can join the general alumni discussion group on Facebook, as well as country-specific groups. I would be lost without these groups. It's so helpful to be able to connect with other alumni before and during your adventure to ask random questions about packing, things to do and advice. Many alumni also post honest reviews about the schools they are at or have previously worked with and will post when their school is hiring!

I’ve had so many people ask me if the course is worth it, to that, I say yes!!! Do you speak English? Yes. But do you know how to teach a non-native speaker English? Hell no! This course teaches various techniques. Learning to teach young learners, adult learners as well as everything in between encompassing teaching and living abroad.

I am currently teaching at a preschool in Shanghai, China. Holding a TEFL certificate has added so much value in my contract negotiation process. Many schools are cracking down on teachers holding a TEFL certificate (not just having a Bachelors degree and holding a passport from a native English country). I received my TEFL certification from the International TEFL Academy in June 2016. I couldn’t be happier with the entire process. If you are in or near Chicago, they offer on-site classes. If you are anywhere else in the world, go for the online course. I highly recommend ITA!

Although they greatly help you during and after the course with resumes, interviews, and contract questions, it would be great if ITA had a select few of the best recruiters in top countries to assist students with job placement. Finding trustworthy recruiters can be hard, having ITA back a recruiter would've been helpful. I will add, though, finding a job (at least for me, in China) was not hard once I found a few recruiters.

Response from International TEFL Academy

Thanks for the great review, Jennie! We are so excited to hear how your adventures will unfold in China! For future reference, our Job Search Guidance Manual has a list of recommended recruiters in China and other Asian countries that our alumni have used in the past. We would also love to get your feedback on the recruiter and school you worked with. Please message our Student Affairs team. This information is really valuable to us and our future alumni. Thanks again, Jennie!

Em
Salt Lake City, UT
Westminster College

ITA for the Win!

I enrolled in a course through Int'l TEFL Academy (ITA) over a year ago, and, to this day, I'm so glad that I did. By nature, I'm a very skeptical person. I research the heck out of organizations and businesses to ensure my hard-earned money is going to a place that will serve a valuable purpose. In this case, ITA's purpose has been invaluable.
I've had the opportunity to grow and develop using ITA's course and my M.Ed. as highly viable components of my educative foundation, and I plan on utilizing what I discovered and learned for the rest of my life.
While life's circumstances kept me from going abroad, I still had the opportunity to use my TEFL certificate in my home city: currently, I'm a curriculum developer and head instructor for a non-profit refugee women's organization near my home. To say I'm happy doing what I do is the understatement of the century. For the first time, I LOVE what I do. My hope is that life's ducks will align neatly in a row and I'll get to head out to Vietnam to teach in the next few months. I couldn't do this without ITA, seriously.
Another thing that encourages me to recommend ITA (in addition to my course experience) is the fact that I still receive support. I wasn't cut off the second I finished my certificate--I melted into their global community.
ITA, you cost me a pretty penny, but the value the experience has in my life trumps the temporary financial hit I took. You're worth every cent. Thank you!

Make the course more challenging. For something so important, the curriculum--though thorough--needs to be amped up a bit.

Response from International TEFL Academy

Hi Em, thanks for the great review and we are very happy you enjoyed the training. We appreciate your suggestion of making the course more challenging but you have a MA in Education and this is an undergraduate course for those without a background in education. It's equivalent to 9 credit hours at a university condensed into 4 weeks in person or 11 weeks part time. It is a lot of information and intense for most people who don't have years of the educational background you do. We have many teachers with a BA or MA in education and find this one of their best training courses and it's pretty action packed from day one.

Michelle
Mobile, AL
University of South Alabama

Best Decision

ITA has been extremely helpful throughout the entire process. They took the time to discuss my course options and what was best for me. They connected me with an advisor that gave a personal testimony that inspired me to continue with the dream of teaching abroad. They even helped me find a job when I completed the course. I took the course 2 years ago and I am still benefitting!

I took the online course while completing my undergraduate degree at a university. Once I finished, I convinced my husband to enroll. After we both completed the program, we began participating in ITA webinars about job hunting. We were told about a company in Japan, we applied, and now we are living and teaching in Japan! It's been a whirlwind of a process, and ITA helped make my dreams a reality.

Cultural differences are only briefly mentioned during the course. A webinar or even short lesson on this would be helpful. I understand it's country specific, but a broad lesson could be covered.

Ashlan
Guangzhou, China
Utah State University

ITA is the best... Hands down the best!

We (my husband and I) have absolutely loved our experience with ITA. Everything from the staff to the advisors to the course to job search guidance is an A+! The staff couldn't be better or more helpful. We work with Jessie and Erin mostly and they save us! They are always there and willing to help us with anything we need. The course was extremely informative and helpful and not too hard but definitely requires some work. The best part about ITA is the Job Search Guidance. It has so much information, it's overwhelming! Anything you could want to need is in there. It's so helpful and I can't imagine getting that anywhere else. Overall, we are beyond grateful we chose ITA. We are currently living and teaching in China! Thank you ITA and especially Jessie and Erin for everything!!

Nothing! So great

Emma
Prague, Czech Republic

Great experience

I found International TEFL Academy by complete chance and I am inclined to believe it was destiny. It was the perfect opportunity to fall onto my lap as I graduated from university, and within days I had signed up for my online TEFL credential program. I started it in July and moved to the Czech Republic in September to complete the class from abroad! I was really desperate to move back to Europe after living in Sweden as an exchange student, and International TEFL Academy made this possibility a reality.

The most important part of what they offer, in my opinion, is the amazing support and HUGE body of resources for students to take advantage of.

They will NOT do it for you, nor should they. But for anyone who has a mind of their own and puts out even minimal effort into their life and direction, ITA will be there to provide a wealth of information and encouragement for you.

The online course has its limitations, however- because you do not have the practical aspect of teaching a lesson plan you prepared, or seeing how others present theirs. Because I had previous teaching experience (not in English, though) I felt like this was an acceptable compromise for me, and once I began teaching English abroad I found myself able to adjust. If you are insecure in your teaching abilities, have no experience whatsoever, or are a very hands on learner, maybe the online course isn't best for you- but it worked splendidly for me (and allowed me to continue with my internship and part time job at the same time).

I also really appreciate that the support and guidance I referred to is for a lifetime. This is incredible as I plan to spend some years moving around and teaching abroad after the Czech Republic, so to be able to recieve help, ideas, and guidance is really a relief.
Can't recommend ITA enough!

Brooke
Fredericksburg, Virginia
University of Mary Washington

Excellent Opportunity to Teach Abroad

Overall, I've loved my experience with International TEFL Academy. The team is friendly, knowledgeable, and very responsive! It's been well over a year since I first signed up with ITA's online course, and I'm still receiving great feedback and information from them whenever I have questions or concerns. You can tell that they are passionate about their work, and helping others achieve their teaching and travel goals.
Although ITA's online course is the most cost-effective, I would encourage everyone to complete an on-site certification if possible. The classes are more rigorous and informative, and the hands-on experience is invaluable. Additionally, you'll be able to join the community within your destination and feel more confident in setting out on your own teach abroad journey.

For the online component, I would require more practicum hours to complete the certification. For me, it was by far the most useful aspect of the course, and potential employers liked to see that I had experience in the classroom. If I'd had time or it had been required by ITA, I would have wanted to spend even more than 20 hours in the practicum setting.

Response from International TEFL Academy

Hi Brooke,

Thanks for the reviews and comments!

You had mentioned that you would recommend that there be more than 20 hours required. The international requirement is 6 hours in a TEFL course so the 20 we require far exceeds all standards. You also have the ability to keep volunteering as many hours as you wish for more practice.

You also mentioned you recommend the in person over the online course but they are exactly the same course, materials, tests, etc. The in person class may be better for some people but a 4 week full time course is also very intense so a part time online course works for people who need things spread out over a longer period of time to learn and observe the material effectively. Different people have different needs and both are the same certification and training.

Samantha
Bloomington, IN
Indiana University- Bloomington

Get certified through ITA

I completed the online course through ITA. I would have preferred to complete an in-person course, but financially was not able to make that decision. With that being said, I highly recommend doing the course in-person if you can because the connections you make and the opportunities to be challenged in an in-person course were something I greatly needed. One perk of choosing ITA, is the number of course hours you receive. Some TEFL programs set the bar low which will limit your opportunities, but not ITA!

Increase the rigor of the online course.

Shannon
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Great, Helpful Program

International TEFL Academy provided me a great online TEFL course to get started on my teaching abroad journey. The material was cohesive and helpful while not too heavy of a workload. I have heard of some friends taking a "faster course" and they have been slammed with so much work. They are very helpful with all of their databases - making sure you know of different schools and different ways to find work in the destination of your choosing. I am currently volunteer teaching abroad in Valencia, Spain and hope to come back for a job in January. I have loved my experience so far and really think the program provided me the essentials to become a great teacher.

Maybe giving more lesson planning ideas. Hard to think of on own.

Danielle
Moscow, Russia
Carleton College

Overall A Great Experience and Value

I wanted to start my TEFL career with a strong strong foundation and as in-depth knowledge as I could reasonably afford to do at the time.

This left me with two options: Teaching House Chicago (CELTA) and International TEFL Academy (Level 5 TEFL). I spent quite a while comparing programs and the curricula seemed remarkably similar, but ITA offered lifetime job placement help, while Teaching House offered nothing. Additionally, ITA was half the cost of CELTA, while offering the same amount of course hours. ITA was simply a better deal than Teaching house.

Overall, ITA helped me review teaching methodology and pushed me to be creative in my lesson planning. The teachers, Jan and Gosha, were patient, caring, and provided thorough explanations. Moreover, they were very experienced ESL teachers and were able to provide two different perspectives and styles of teaching. They were attentive to students' needs and were fully capable of answering students' questions.

The practicum at ITA was an invaluable experience which made me much more confident as a teacher. One of the best aspects of the practicum was being able to work with students of all levels and being forced to design a lesson plan from scratch. I also really enjoyed the final project of the course, developing a three-day lesson plan showing growth and development of a concept over time.

I would have liked it if the program had been a bit more intensive--especially in terms of lesson planning.

As I stated earlier, I chose ITA since it was half the price of an in-house CELTA. Overall, I think this was a good choice, but when I've spoken to to CELTA graduates, all of whom completed their course in different parts of the world, covered the same material but were significantly more intensive.

In particular, CELTA courses seem to have included a much longer teaching practicum and demanded students to revise their lesson plans until they were near perfect.

Emily
Somerville, MA
University of New Hampshire

One of the most valuable experiences in my personal & professional life

Getting my TEFL Certification has opened up a whole new world of opportunity that I had never really, honestly considered before. I had studied English Language Arts teaching in college, and after getting my Master's Degree, I was still struggling to find a job as an ELA teacher that felt like a good fit. That's when I decided to take a chance and make a move. I couldn't possibly be happier about that choice.

After making the choice to investigate TEFL programs, I was nervous to call International TEFL Academy because I was wary of trying to be sold something - but the advisor I spoke to was so kind, comforting, and honest. It wasn't about making a sale, it was about informing me, finding out what my concerns were, and coming to a decision without any pressure.

The class provided great basics for teaching ESL, and the part that made it stand out from other courses was the Practicum Requirement. I wanted to be able to brag that I went above and beyond the standard TEFL course requirements because I sought out real-life practice in the process. It was manageable to fit the online course into my daily life, while saving up for my trip.

The greatest part was the job search guidance. International TEFL Academy helped me get in touch with some contacts shortly after moving to Thailand, one of which soon became my employer. My life hasn't been the same since! Since I've returned from abroad, I've continued to use my certification. I teach ESL here in the States, and I meet fascinating people from all over the world. I'm also really excited by the fact that if/when I choose to teach abroad again, International TEFL Academy will help me with my search.

Personally, I don't thrive in online classroom settings because it's harder for me to feel connected to my classmates and teacher. My online instructor was very kind and available, but if I were to do it again, I'd probably opt for the on-site option (which they also offer, but I was locked in to a lease and a job, so the online course made more sense for me at the time). Perhaps now the online course offers more of a classroom community type feel, but for a social learner like myself, it was lacking in a bit of that personal touch.

robbert
Hanoi, Vietnam

From dream to reality

On January first 2014 I made the decision to get my TEFL course and started doing research. As you all know the internet can be quite overwhelming. Then I ran into the website of International TEFL Academy and found their website really helpful and answered all my initial questions. I decided to request a free digital brochure and leave my details. Within an hour I received a phone call from a helpful man and he took away all doubts I had and answered all my questions adequately. I did some further research but in the back of my head I had already decided that I wanted to do my TEFL course with them.

The course outline is easy to follow and our instructor gave us regular updates and feedback. There are instruction videos to help you find your way around and the staff is always available and responds super fast. Every week we had a deadline for a module and had to upload this into moodle. We also had to respond to a question from our instructor and respond to a comment of one of our classmates.

The coursework wasn't particularly difficult but it was a lot of reading and writing. It took me about 1 to 2 hours per day during the whole course. The practicum part of the course consists of 20 hours either observing, tutoring or teaching. I choose tutoring a girl from Armenia who wanted to improve her English and prepare herself for university.

Now several months later I find myself in Hanoi, Vietnam and found a job, all thanks to International TEFL Academy!

The only thing I can think of is maybe set up a chatbox so that we could chat with our fellow classmates. I missed the contact with other students but then again, it is an online course.

Response from International TEFL Academy

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps you didn’t notice that there are chat rooms in our online class to discuss items with your class peers. In fact many classmates end of becoming friends and going to teach abroad together (a few even started dating!). We hope you connect with our thousands of alumni in our ITA alumni Facebook groups.

Allison
Santiago, Chile
University of Hartford

Online Course Develops Teaching Skills With Access To Institute Resources Essential for Job Placement!

Bottom Line:

Start to finish, ITA provided me with the necessary support- from personal guidance to developing skills needed to teach in an ESL setting, to qualify me for and land a job teaching abroad.

Choosing ITA and Getting Certified:

Objective:

I returned to University for my last semester in January 2014 determined to graduate, earn a TEFL certification and depart the USA in August 2014-I can honestly say that the ITA helped with every crucial step along the way to making my dream a reality.

Choosing a Course:

My main objective was to seek out all TEFL certification programs that were accredited and would be valid in applying to jobs in the regions I aimed to teach. After doing online research and asking various institutes questions regarding cost, course components and training location opportunities, I confidently chose an online course with ITA.

I was assigned an admission advisor who was key in helping me make my certification program decision. He was SO helpful in talking on the phone with me several times to review the process of earning a TEFL certification with ITA, the timeline of the process and talking honestly about the job placement process in regions I was initially interested in teaching. After learning about the alumni resources made available to students that are geared towards job placement and general support in the transition abroad, I decided an online course with ITA was the best fit for me as it allowed me to concurrently finish my undergraduate degree and work towards my desired summer departure by having a solid 3 months to apply for jobs post-certification and pre-departure.

Actual Course Experience:

This course was actually my first experience with distance learning. I was a bit ambivalent to choose an online certification route, but considering my timeline, it seemed to be the most logical path. I was wildly impressed by the technological infrastructure of the ITA online learning forum that provided all essential resources (ie: contact with professor and peers; extra course materials; links to videos and additional resources to complete assignments) to create an experience conducive to effective learning.

The Institute also provided students with the opportunity to participate in “live” virtual discussions regarding different aspects of the job search process in various regions. This was a really helpful extension of the actual certification course, as I was able to get a sense of how to approach my next step in moving abroad- landing a job, while getting certified.

There were a plethora of support videos demonstrating how to navigate the online forum and complete and upload assignments. Weekly lectures with the option to participate and chat live with our professor were made available on the course page to refer back to while completing weekly tasks. I felt like there was regular interaction with our professor and other peers that simulated a “real” classroom experience as opposed to a mediated and distant learning experience. My professor was always responsive to questions regarding assignment related questions or those focused on a specific teaching tactic in a lesson.

After completing the online portion of the course, which encompassed a variety of tasks and assignments necessary to gaining a good teaching skill-set, my skills were put to the test in the practicum portion of the course. I felt that this was a unique and valuable aspect of the certification process as it provided the opportunity to put concepts learned online into action in a real world setting similar to what I’d experience abroad.

Getting Here (Santiago, Chile!)

Words cannot describe how thrilled I was to complete my course and head out of the USA on schedule with my desired departure date. I landed my teaching job prior to arriving in Santiago by applying to schools and institutes suggested by the ITA in a job search manual. Most of all, I was so relieved to find that all the skills I learned in my course were really practical and actually prepared me to be a successful teacher!

This experience has been exponentially personally and professionally fulfilling, even just on the sheer basis that I was able to successfully set a goal and then obtain the proper certification to qualify me for and land an actual job. In all honesty, I wanted to move abroad post-University graduation to avoid the “real world”. In reality, however, I have gained more real world knowledge about being successfully personally and professionally independent while gaining experience in the education industry, than I would have by staying in the States. I am SO happy with where I am in the world in both my personal life and career, I feel as though I owe much of that to ITA-thanks for everything, I give you my highest recommendation!

The only aspect of this program I would suggest a change is in regards to practicing teaching methods more. There were lots of opportunities to create lesson plans, obviously an essential aspect of teaching, but aside from the practicum supplement portion of the certification process, there were not opportunities to practice executing lesson plans. I understand that this is more challenging task with an online program; however, this type of assignment could be completed using the narration feature of Powerpoint or uploading a video,for example. It is one thing to watch videos of others teaching and to imagine yourself teaching a lesson plan you've created, but it is another to actually be in front of a class and doing it!

Jeff
Incheon, South Korea
University of Georgia

Chicago TEFL academy is 100% worth it!

I didn't realize how valuable the TEFL certification from the Chicago TEFL Academy was until I got overseas and presented it to my boss! She was ecstatic, and said to me immediately, "this definitely increases your professionalism at our school." The program didn't pay for itself until that moment overseas; up until then, I had the same concerns everyone else has: Will I get a job? Where will it be? Can I trust this academy in finding something right for me? I am completely confident with the online program and the academy, and I strongly recommend it to any person considering teaching overseas as it will open the door to you for many opportunities worldwide.

The program itself is challenging because it requires a lot of commitment and time management in completing the readings, tasks, and coursework. I found myself logging on to the course website nearly every day, whether it was to complete an assignment, check for a grade or for feedback from my professor, or just to start an online chat with other students enrolled in the same program. The course itself is very structured, which is great, because from the beginning, I knew exactly when things were to be completed and how much time I would have to complete them. All I had to do was pace myself pretty regularly to ensure that everything was completed on time and I was well prepared for the assignments due each week. Time management can be difficult for some, but with this program, things are laid out for students to see.

I also want to evaluate my course instructor and the staff at the TEFL academy because their support and willingness to help was far better than any college professor I had. I am one to ask many questions, and I did this a lot through the program. Call me an over achiever, but I made sure that if I was confused about something, I sent my instructor an email for clarification. That's what they're there for, right? Once I initiated contact with her the second week, we never seemed to end the conversation. We just kept emailing back and forth about readings and assignments as the questions kept popping up. Also, the staff at the academy is rich with knowledge and experience, and I made sure to take advantage of the opportunity to ask even more questions. I would call about job openings in various countries, ask detailed information about schools in certain countries, and just continually ask for support and guidance about the decision of moving overseas. I am a firm believer that if someone is there to help, ask for help! With this program, you will have an instructor and staff who care about your success and commit to helping you find the perfect job overseas.

Overall, I am very thankful for the TEFL academy! I was able to complete my certification and find a job overseas in four months. Of course, my experience was expedited as I wanted to start working immediately, but it can happen for you! I would strongly recommend giving them a call to see what they can do for you.

I really enjoyed how some of the lessons involved videos for me to watch . All I had to do was click on the link in the tutorial, which directed me to a video that directly related to what I was reading about. If I could suggest one change, I wish there were a few lessons where I could watch the instructor teach a topic as if it was an online skype call. I had a good rapport with her because we exchanged many emails, but for some students, seeing their instructor teach the topic would be valuable for their learning.

Diane
Chicago, Illinois
University of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign

Quality online course

The online course had weekly modules that were informative and had helpful links and videos to related topics. Each week a written project was due that solidified the student's understanding of the material. There was some peer interaction and peer work was posted for everyone to review which was helpful. Instructor responded to all questions in a timely manner. Overall good quality and price. Thank you!

Observation hours were a requirement which was great. I would have liked more guidance on how to make the most of this time. Also the course was mostly teaching theory but didn't have much info on specific things to use in a classroom and how to run a classroom for us beginners.

RLM
Manoa, Hawaii
University of Hawaii- Manoa

Online

The online class is just… an online class. It was very straightforward. Each week focused on different aspects to teaching, and each week we were tested on the reading material. All very doable.

Email was the main form of communication. Postings for my class held no interaction. Any questions I had were quickly answered though email.

The most enjoyable part of the online course was the lectures. Each month there would be a variety of lectures available to students. Lecture topics ranged from discussions on getting ready to teach in different areas around the world to different books that may interest different levels of students. These lectures gave me a chance to learn more through different experiences. It was also a time to chat with other students and teachers.

Overall, I felt that it was a good program to learn the basics to teaching abroad.

It is true that no program is perfect. I would have liked more interaction with my peers, and I would have like the teacher's availability to alternate from time to time. I felt that I was at a disadvantage because of the time difference. I missed all the "group chats."

Mari
Zaragoza, Spain
Universidad Interamericana de Puerto Rico

Good Program

I took the online course and it permited me to complete my classes with the movility to finish them when I moved from America to Europe. It can be challenging, but then again you want a curriculum worth your time and effort. As for the cost, I found much cheaper programs afterwards, but their material was full of typos and you could tell it was of much lesser quality. I found a job on my own so I don't know if the job assistance bit of this program is good, but overall I am quite happy with it all. :)

When answering back emails I got a reply back, but instead of answering straight away I got sent to links which I could not open on my iphone. I would have liked for the staff to take the time to at least copy/paste the answer I needed on the email and not making me open links to things that can't be accessed on a smartphone.

Niko
Kansas City, Missouri

Fantastic course and amazing resources

I took the course from ITA in 2012 and learned so much from my instructor Tyler. The resources you gain will work for your whole career and it's great to see a good association for alumni! I liked the program so much that my husband was influenced to take the course as well.

This may have been just my class, but I wish there was more interaction between the students during the course online - I looked forward to gaining more friends throughout our lessons but instead, I now interact more as an alumnus with others who've finished!

Christine
Tehuacan, Mexico
California State University- Long Beach

A Great Investment

I chose International TEFL Academy because it seemed like the best source to get a TEFL certificate online. I was not disappointed. I called and emailed to make sure that what I was investing in was right and everyone was so helpful. The emails and phone calls were always friendly and helpful.

For the online course every week you have to turn in homework/lessons or quizzes and give some feedback on the group board. It was never too much and now that I'm teaching I realize how wonderful all of that was because I feel prepared. Overall I'm so glad I choose to get my online TEFL certificate through International TEFL Academy.

I can't think of anything specific that I didn't like about the program.

Zach
Hsinchu City, Taiwan
University of North Carolina- Wilmington

International TEFL Academy Online

I personally used this program while I was still obtaining my college degrees. I spent an average of three hours a week on the course work. I would read the materials for the unit we were studying and use any of the tools or hints where I volunteered during my undergraduate. I may be an alumnus but I did not use the job search service that is offered by the program. It honestly seemed difficult to use and the interface could use a facelift. Nevertheless, I would recommend the program to any college undergraduate or graduate student because it only takes a semester and takes up about as much time out of your week as a survey course.

Honestly, I wouldn't change the actual course work. I would however change the alumni program. I found a job completely on my own because their process seemed unnecessarily difficult. I did use one of their schools but I never even heard back from the school. So I would say that this program is good for getting your certification but you will have to do your own search for a job.

Response from International TEFL Academy

Hi Zach, thanks for the review. Sorry you felt that we were only worth a 7 out of 10. A few items to comment on.

1) The average amount of hours of work a student does each week for 11 weeks is 8-10 hours plus their extra 20 hours of student teaching. It is impossible to read and comprehend 30 pages (a chapter) a week and do the homework, essays, lessons plans, peer feedback, watch the videos, attend the live webinars in the 3 hours of week you listed you did your class in. Those reading this review should be aware of the right expectations as this is a college level course with a lot of work to do.

2) You stated you did not use the job search guidance. We are sorry if it seemed complicated but we have full time staff for job assistance and their job is to assist you if asked. We do have video tutorials on using our reference guides, live help with resume, cover letter and interviewing. We also have live and taped webinars on the entire processes. Please reach out to our department for assistance if you need it again.

3) You had mentioned you contacted one of “our schools” and did not hear back from them. To clarify, we are a TEFL certification school and do not “have schools”, we have listings of over 20,000 language schools in the world and they interview and hire when they have job openings. If one of those schools don’t reply to an email it could be for a number of reasons just as employers worldwide do or do not reply in all lines of work. You have to interview with many employers to find the best fit for each of you.
While you are correct in your statement that you have to get the job, we train over 3,000 teachers a year and provide very detailed and structured assistance on an individual basis for each of our graduates. Please become involved in our ITA alumni connections and we hope to assist you in the future.

Chellie
Mobile, Alabama
University of South Alabama

Wonderful and Personal Attention

ITA has made it their personal goal to provide a personalized experience for anyone interested in teaching abroad. From the beginning, I have been in constant contact via e-mail or phone with advisors and instructors. Any question I had was answered before I could even ask.

I was enrolled in the online course. This was recommended by my advisor, as it fit within my timeline and fit around my college work schedule. I was hesitant, but I was given a guest access to view the course before making a final decision. This was the selling point for me.

I did not have a grammar book when I began the course; I thought I could begin the course and get one later. I had to quickly correct that, as the course demands access to a book. I would recommend purchasing a grammar book before taking the online course.

The job search assistance has been incredible, especially when you are working on a tight schedule. Thanks to ITA, I was put in contact with recruiters before I even completed my course. It has definitely made the experience less stressful.

I was torn about where I wanted to go for teach abroad (This is perhaps the best part of choosing ITA). My advisor provided personal photos of his experience and spent almost an hour on the phone guiding me through resources to help pick a location. This experience alone would make me suggest ITA to anyone. The personal attention is truly unique.

The experience ITA has provided is something that I will carry with me into my career. I have been given the tools and resources I need in order to be successful working in a foreign country. The constant contact through Facebook has made sharing experiences easy and exciting. Using the alumni page has helped me in connecting personally with other ITA alumni in my area or in an area I want to travel to.

The only thing I would change about this program is the layout of the online course. Although the video tutorials helped, it was a bit confusing to navigate for a first time online student. Once I figured out the basic layout, however, I had no more issues. I feel like the layout could be made more user friendly and less busy.

International TEFL Academy is passionate about two things:

1) Providing the highest quality TEFL certification classes.

2) Ensuring all of our graduates find professional, paid English teaching jobs abroad & have a wonderful experience overseas.

All of our staff at ITA have worked, lived &