By International TEFL Academy   Reviews (32)   89% Rating

International TEFL Academy TEFL Course and Job Guidance

By International TEFL Academy   Reviews (32)   89% Rating

Get paid to teach English around the world with International TEFL Academy's online TEFL course!

Are you:

A native English speaker from USA or Canada?
Age 21 and older?
Wanting to get paid to teach English abroad in Europe, Asia, Latin America or the Middle East?
Looking to take an accredited professional TEFL certification course?

A job teaching English abroad is a fantastic way to live overseas and get paid to travel the world!

Armed with an International TEFL Academy TEFL TESOL certification, you will be able to work abroad teaching English while getting paid. After completing our TEFL training certification, you can quickly begin working in major cities throughout the world.

Who is International TEFL Academy?

We are one of the largest TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification schools in the world training over 3,500 new teachers a year, people just like you. 95% of our students do not have a degree in Education, they simply want to get paid to teach abroad and go through our training and use our help to find paid teaching positions around the world.

How does it work?

1. You request a free brochure and speak with one of our TEFL admission advisors about the jobs, hiring processes, our TEFL course options and make a plan to see the world. We are happy to speak with you as many times as you need, provide hundreds of articles and FAQs, testimonials and show you how over 100,000 people like you move overseas every year and teach English abroad.
  2. You talk with your friends and family, figure out your timeline and come up with the courage to go for it.
  3. Enroll into our TEFL certification class online or at one of our 25 locations worldwide and get trained.
  4. You interview and get a paid job teaching English for 6 -12 month contracts around the world.

What are the jobs like?

English teaching jobs are typically at private language institutes with students paying private tuition to learn a language by a native English speaker in a 100% English immersion classroom (you don't need to speak another language). Your English language students are typically adults in Europe and Latin America and either children or adults in Asia and the Middle East.

Your day at work: You typically teach 5 classes a day for 45-50 minutes, 5 days a week. There are anywhere from 5 to 50 English teachers at each language school so you will have lots of new friends to make. Most cities will have anywhere from 500 to 5000 other English teachers like you.

Wages: Most industrialized countries you get paid a middle class wage to support yourself, pay your bills and break even (just like teachers in America), many Asian countries teachers can save 30-50% more than the cost of living which can be up to an extra $12,000 to $15,000 in a year!

Popular Countries to Teach English with a TEFL TESOL Certification:

Europe: Armenia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine

Latin America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela, Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Honduras

Asia: Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand

Middle East: Bahrain, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, U.A.E.

How does this work?

We offer professional TEFL classes and lifetime job guidance assistance to our graduates.

*If you already have a TEFL certification from another school we are not able to assist you.

• Option A: The traditional method is to take a 4 week full-time TEFL certification course at a location either domestic or internationally.

Tuition ranges from $1,600 - $2,500 depending on location plus your living expenses. Classes are in North/Central/South America, Europe and Asia. Options are listed on our website.

• Option B: Take the same level 170 hour TEFL certification Online class part time over 11 weeks. This allows students to continue to work their current job while spending 10-12 hours a week on coursework, reading and projects. Tuition is $1,395

Job interviewing: There are over 100,000 new jobs every year around the world (as 50% of the teachers leave every 12 months). We have full time staff dedicated to train you how to find jobs, provide tens of thousands of school's contact information and we show you A-Z on finding the best option for yourself.

What's next?

Go to our website and fill out a contact form for a free brochure or call us directly at 773-634-9900.

The world headquarters is in Chicago, IL, we are one of the largest TEFL certification schools in the world training over 3,500 students a year and changing the world by helping one person at a time pursue their dream of living in another country. All courses are internationally accredited and exceed the world's standards for TEFL certification set by the British Council.

Contact International TEFL Academy for a Free brochure describing the process, read over the charts of where you can teach, how much money you make and the educational requirements and TEFL class options and tuition fees.

Advisors in our office are here to help you through the decision process. Join hundreds of thousands of others who teach abroad each year by starting with a professional TEFL TESOL certification.

North America › United States of America
120hours
Job Placement
Hotel
1000.00

A 4-year degree is not required to take a TEFL class and it is possible to teach English abroad without a 4-year degree (particularly if you get a TEFL certification). There are some countries - like...
Yes, you could re-sign with the school you are teaching English at to stay for another contract term or find a new job and sign another 1 year contract. It will also depend on what type of visa your s...
You can teach English abroad as long as you want, people do it for their entire lives in one place, others go from city to city or country to country. They are jobs, not assignments like the Peace Cor...
Most jobs are 6 or 12 month contracts to be the English teacher at a school. There are some schools that will hire you for 3 months in a few locations. You can also find English teaching job in summer...
There are lots of jobs for those in their 40s, 50, 60's and some in their 70's but it depends on which country you teach. Here's an article about age and teaching English abroad: https://www.internati...
I am 65 years old and some ability with Spanish. I wish to become certified to live and work in Costa Rica. Is this something that is worth pursuing? What is best recommendation to prepare and become...

Rating Values

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Katie
Sheridan, TX
Southwestern University

Best decision I've ever made!

Overall 10

I remember a year and a half ago sitting behind a desk and being so unfulfilled with the way I was spending my life. I need a change, some excitement, an adventure! After doing some research I decided I would start with the International TEFL Academy due to the amount of free resources available just on the website alone.
I was put in contact with Michael who was like an angel sent from heaven. He answered every single question I had, plus gave me a ton of encouragement, plus shared his own experience teaching abroad. Because he provided such great help, along with all the resources I was given I knew this is the place I had to use to peruse a new path.
Before I knew it I had signed up for my TEFL certification class and had decided Prague would be my destination of choice. The online course was INCREDIBLY convenient and fit into my busy schedule perfectly. The information I was given on Prague, along with my own research, really helped prepare me for my future endeavour.
Knowing that for the rest of my life I can use the TEFL Academy as a resource and source of guidance is amazing and is really one of their best features! Literally, one of the best decisions I ever made was following a crazy whim and choosing this company to help me get there.

The only thing I would suggest is making sure all online professors are easily accessible for the students. I would have like to have stronger and quicker communication between the professor and I.
Also maybe appointing someone who currently lives in each country, as someone all graduates can go to for advice, information, and a friendly face upon arrival into their chosen destination would be incredibly helpful.
Jaques
Coschocton

Online TEFL Class and an Excellent Practicum Experience

Overall 10

I completed International TEFL Academy's online TEFL class in 2014. I had never taught before and I was extremely nervous about the class and the practicum. I was traveling through Argentina and Uruguay at the time so I was also concerned about the flexibility.
My admissions advisor assured me that the class would be 8 - 12 hours per week and taking the class in Argentina and Uruguay would be great for my practicum experience.
She was right. It was a great experience because I did my 20 hours of practicum in Argentina and Uruguay so I was able to get my feet wet in a Latin American classroom before my big move to Ecuador.
I had weekly communication with Havvah in the Student Affairs Department. She assisted me with all my questions concerning the class and preparation for Ecuador.
I would highly recommend International TEFL Academy to everyone. Their class and assistance is extraordinary.

Jennie
San Diego, California

Highly Recommend ITA Online Course

Overall 9

For many, myself included, deciding which company to receive your TEFL certification from can seem completely overwhelming. Where do you even begin?

What it came down to for me was my initial first impression of their website. How user-friendly it is, how professional it looks and the wealth of information provided before even engaging with a representative. ITA provided all of this! One I made the first step to being contacted, an admissions advisor (Felicia) contacted me within 24 hours.

Felicia, Havvah (my student affairs advisor), and all professors and staff I worked with (in my course, as well as the webinars I watched and listened to) have all lived and worked abroad teaching English. They are all very well suited to answer any questions you may have on the experience.

If you haven’t already picked a destination, they can help you solidify one based on your needs and goals. If you already know your location you’ll automatically be assigned a team familiar with your country. Your advisors will work with you throughout your course, and even after, to ensure you have all that is necessary to apply for jobs, get the job and what the heck to do when you actually land the job!

Once you've started your course, you can join the general alumni discussion group on Facebook, as well as country-specific groups. I would be lost without these groups. It's so helpful to be able to connect with other alumni before and during your adventure to ask random questions about packing, things to do and advice. Many alumni also post honest reviews about the schools they are at or have previously worked with and will post when their school is hiring!

I’ve had so many people ask me if the course is worth it, to that, I say yes!!! Do you speak English? Yes. But do you know how to teach a non-native speaker English? Hell no! This course teaches various techniques. Learning to teach young learners, adult learners as well as everything in between encompassing teaching and living abroad.

I am currently teaching at a preschool in Shanghai, China. Holding a TEFL certificate has added so much value in my contract negotiation process. Many schools are cracking down on teachers holding a TEFL certificate (not just having a Bachelors degree and holding a passport from a native English country). I received my TEFL certification from the International TEFL Academy in June 2016. I couldn’t be happier with the entire process. If you are in or near Chicago, they offer on-site classes. If you are anywhere else in the world, go for the online course. I highly recommend ITA!

Although they greatly help you during and after the course with resumes, interviews, and contract questions, it would be great if ITA had a select few of the best recruiters in top countries to assist students with job placement. Finding trustworthy recruiters can be hard, having ITA back a recruiter would've been helpful. I will add, though, finding a job (at least for me, in China) was not hard once I found a few recruiters.
Provider Response

Thanks for the great review, Jennie! We are so excited to hear how your adventures will unfold in China! For future reference, our Job Search Guidance Manual has a list of recommended recruiters in China and other Asian countries that our alumni have used in the past. We would also love to get your feedback on the recruiter and school you worked with. Please message our Student Affairs team. This information is really valuable to us and our future alumni. Thanks again, Jennie!

Em
Salt Lake City, UT
Westminster College

ITA for the Win!

Overall 9

I enrolled in a course through Int'l TEFL Academy (ITA) over a year ago, and, to this day, I'm so glad that I did. By nature, I'm a very skeptical person. I research the heck out of organizations and businesses to ensure my hard-earned money is going to a place that will serve a valuable purpose. In this case, ITA's purpose has been invaluable.
I've had the opportunity to grow and develop using ITA's course and my M.Ed. as highly viable components of my educative foundation, and I plan on utilizing what I discovered and learned for the rest of my life.
While life's circumstances kept me from going abroad, I still had the opportunity to use my TEFL certificate in my home city: currently, I'm a curriculum developer and head instructor for a non-profit refugee women's organization near my home. To say I'm happy doing what I do is the understatement of the century. For the first time, I LOVE what I do. My hope is that life's ducks will align neatly in a row and I'll get to head out to Vietnam to teach in the next few months. I couldn't do this without ITA, seriously.
Another thing that encourages me to recommend ITA (in addition to my course experience) is the fact that I still receive support. I wasn't cut off the second I finished my certificate--I melted into their global community.
ITA, you cost me a pretty penny, but the value the experience has in my life trumps the temporary financial hit I took. You're worth every cent. Thank you!

Make the course more challenging. For something so important, the curriculum--though thorough--needs to be amped up a bit.
Provider Response

Hi Em, thanks for the great review and we are very happy you enjoyed the training. We appreciate your suggestion of making the course more challenging but you have a MA in Education and this is an undergraduate course for those without a background in education. It's equivalent to 9 credit hours at a university condensed into 4 weeks in person or 11 weeks part time. It is a lot of information and intense for most people who don't have years of the educational background you do. We have many teachers with a BA or MA in education and find this one of their best training courses and it's pretty action packed from day one.

Michelle
Mobile, AL
University of South Alabama

Best Decision

Overall 10

ITA has been extremely helpful throughout the entire process. They took the time to discuss my course options and what was best for me. They connected me with an advisor that gave a personal testimony that inspired me to continue with the dream of teaching abroad. They even helped me find a job when I completed the course. I took the course 2 years ago and I am still benefitting!

I took the online course while completing my undergraduate degree at a university. Once I finished, I convinced my husband to enroll. After we both completed the program, we began participating in ITA webinars about job hunting. We were told about a company in Japan, we applied, and now we are living and teaching in Japan! It's been a whirlwind of a process, and ITA helped make my dreams a reality.

Cultural differences are only briefly mentioned during the course. A webinar or even short lesson on this would be helpful. I understand it's country specific, but a broad lesson could be covered.
Ashlan
Guangzhou, China
Utah State University

ITA is the best... Hands down the best!

Overall 10

We (my husband and I) have absolutely loved our experience with ITA. Everything from the staff to the advisors to the course to job search guidance is an A+! The staff couldn't be better or more helpful. We work with Jessie and Erin mostly and they save us! They are always there and willing to help us with anything we need. The course was extremely informative and helpful and not too hard but definitely requires some work. The best part about ITA is the Job Search Guidance. It has so much information, it's overwhelming! Anything you could want to need is in there. It's so helpful and I can't imagine getting that anywhere else. Overall, we are beyond grateful we chose ITA. We are currently living and teaching in China! Thank you ITA and especially Jessie and Erin for everything!!

Nothing! So great
Emma
Prague, Czech Republic

Great experience

Overall 10

I found International TEFL Academy by complete chance and I am inclined to believe it was destiny. It was the perfect opportunity to fall onto my lap as I graduated from university, and within days I had signed up for my online TEFL credential program. I started it in July and moved to the Czech Republic in September to complete the class from abroad! I was really desperate to move back to Europe after living in Sweden as an exchange student, and International TEFL Academy made this possibility a reality.

The most important part of what they offer, in my opinion, is the amazing support and HUGE body of resources for students to take advantage of.

They will NOT do it for you, nor should they. But for anyone who has a mind of their own and puts out even minimal effort into their life and direction, ITA will be there to provide a wealth of information and encouragement for you.

The online course has its limitations, however- because you do not have the practical aspect of teaching a lesson plan you prepared, or seeing how others present theirs. Because I had previous teaching experience (not in English, though) I felt like this was an acceptable compromise for me, and once I began teaching English abroad I found myself able to adjust. If you are insecure in your teaching abilities, have no experience whatsoever, or are a very hands on learner, maybe the online course isn't best for you- but it worked splendidly for me (and allowed me to continue with my internship and part time job at the same time).

I also really appreciate that the support and guidance I referred to is for a lifetime. This is incredible as I plan to spend some years moving around and teaching abroad after the Czech Republic, so to be able to recieve help, ideas, and guidance is really a relief.
Can't recommend ITA enough!

Brooke
Fredericksburg, Virginia
University of Mary Washington

Excellent Opportunity to Teach Abroad

Overall 8

Overall, I've loved my experience with International TEFL Academy. The team is friendly, knowledgeable, and very responsive! It's been well over a year since I first signed up with ITA's online course, and I'm still receiving great feedback and information from them whenever I have questions or concerns. You can tell that they are passionate about their work, and helping others achieve their teaching and travel goals.
Although ITA's online course is the most cost-effective, I would encourage everyone to complete an on-site certification if possible. The classes are more rigorous and informative, and the hands-on experience is invaluable. Additionally, you'll be able to join the community within your destination and feel more confident in setting out on your own teach abroad journey.

For the online component, I would require more practicum hours to complete the certification. For me, it was by far the most useful aspect of the course, and potential employers liked to see that I had experience in the classroom. If I'd had time or it had been required by ITA, I would have wanted to spend even more than 20 hours in the practicum setting.

Hi Brooke,

Thanks for the reviews and comments!

You had mentioned that you would recommend that there be more than 20 hours required. The international requirement is 6 hours in a TEFL course so the 20 we require far exceeds all standards. You also have the ability to keep volunteering as many hours as you wish for more practice.

You also mentioned you recommend the in person over the online course but they are exactly the same course, materials, tests, etc. The in person class may be better for some people but a 4 week full time course is also very intense so a part time online course works for people who need things spread out over a longer period of time to learn and observe the material effectively. Different people have different needs and both are the same certification and training.

Samantha
Bloomington, IN
Indiana University- Bloomington

Get certified through ITA

Overall 8

I completed the online course through ITA. I would have preferred to complete an in-person course, but financially was not able to make that decision. With that being said, I highly recommend doing the course in-person if you can because the connections you make and the opportunities to be challenged in an in-person course were something I greatly needed. One perk of choosing ITA, is the number of course hours you receive. Some TEFL programs set the bar low which will limit your opportunities, but not ITA!

Increase the rigor of the online course.
Shannon
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Great, Helpful Program

Overall 8

International TEFL Academy provided me a great online TEFL course to get started on my teaching abroad journey. The material was cohesive and helpful while not too heavy of a workload. I have heard of some friends taking a "faster course" and they have been slammed with so much work. They are very helpful with all of their databases - making sure you know of different schools and different ways to find work in the destination of your choosing. I am currently volunteer teaching abroad in Valencia, Spain and hope to come back for a job in January. I have loved my experience so far and really think the program provided me the essentials to become a great teacher.

Maybe giving more lesson planning ideas. Hard to think of on own.
Rebecca
Chicago, Illinois

It's all worth it :)

Overall 10

This course will demand a lot of your time and effort--if you slack off for even a day, you'll be in trouble. In the end, it'll all be worth it! I walked away feeling ready to take on the world! I would reccomend this course for anyone who wants a supportive and friendly environment :)

Maybe the classes should start a little later? 9am was rather early for people who were commuting!
Danielle
Moscow, Russia
Carleton College

Overall A Great Experience and Value

Overall 9

I wanted to start my TEFL career with a strong strong foundation and as in-depth knowledge as I could reasonably afford to do at the time.

This left me with two options: Teaching House Chicago (CELTA) and International TEFL Academy (Level 5 TEFL). I spent quite a while comparing programs and the curricula seemed remarkably similar, but ITA offered lifetime job placement help, while Teaching House offered nothing. Additionally, ITA was half the cost of CELTA, while offering the same amount of course hours. ITA was simply a better deal than Teaching house.

Overall, ITA helped me review teaching methodology and pushed me to be creative in my lesson planning. The teachers, Jan and Gosha, were patient, caring, and provided thorough explanations. Moreover, they were very experienced ESL teachers and were able to provide two different perspectives and styles of teaching. They were attentive to students' needs and were fully capable of answering students' questions.

The practicum at ITA was an invaluable experience which made me much more confident as a teacher. One of the best aspects of the practicum was being able to work with students of all levels and being forced to design a lesson plan from scratch. I also really enjoyed the final project of the course, developing a three-day lesson plan showing growth and development of a concept over time.

I would have liked it if the program had been a bit more intensive--especially in terms of lesson planning.

As I stated earlier, I chose ITA since it was half the price of an in-house CELTA. Overall, I think this was a good choice, but when I've spoken to to CELTA graduates, all of whom completed their course in different parts of the world, covered the same material but were significantly more intensive.

In particular, CELTA courses seem to have included a much longer teaching practicum and demanded students to revise their lesson plans until they were near perfect.
Emily
Somerville, MA
University of New Hampshire

One of the most valuable experiences in my personal & professional life

Overall 9

Getting my TEFL Certification has opened up a whole new world of opportunity that I had never really, honestly considered before. I had studied English Language Arts teaching in college, and after getting my Master's Degree, I was still struggling to find a job as an ELA teacher that felt like a good fit. That's when I decided to take a chance and make a move. I couldn't possibly be happier about that choice.

After making the choice to investigate TEFL programs, I was nervous to call International TEFL Academy because I was wary of trying to be sold something - but the advisor I spoke to was so kind, comforting, and honest. It wasn't about making a sale, it was about informing me, finding out what my concerns were, and coming to a decision without any pressure.

The class provided great basics for teaching ESL, and the part that made it stand out from other courses was the Practicum Requirement. I wanted to be able to brag that I went above and beyond the standard TEFL course requirements because I sought out real-life practice in the process. It was manageable to fit the online course into my daily life, while saving up for my trip.

The greatest part was the job search guidance. International TEFL Academy helped me get in touch with some contacts shortly after moving to Thailand, one of which soon became my employer. My life hasn't been the same since! Since I've returned from abroad, I've continued to use my certification. I teach ESL here in the States, and I meet fascinating people from all over the world. I'm also really excited by the fact that if/when I choose to teach abroad again, International TEFL Academy will help me with my search.

Personally, I don't thrive in online classroom settings because it's harder for me to feel connected to my classmates and teacher. My online instructor was very kind and available, but if I were to do it again, I'd probably opt for the on-site option (which they also offer, but I was locked in to a lease and a job, so the online course made more sense for me at the time). Perhaps now the online course offers more of a classroom community type feel, but for a social learner like myself, it was lacking in a bit of that personal touch.
robbert
Hanoi, Vietnam

From dream to reality

Overall 8

On January first 2014 I made the decision to get my TEFL course and started doing research. As you all know the internet can be quite overwhelming. Then I ran into the website of International TEFL Academy and found their website really helpful and answered all my initial questions. I decided to request a free digital brochure and leave my details. Within an hour I received a phone call from a helpful man and he took away all doubts I had and answered all my questions adequately. I did some further research but in the back of my head I had already decided that I wanted to do my TEFL course with them.

The course outline is easy to follow and our instructor gave us regular updates and feedback. There are instruction videos to help you find your way around and the staff is always available and responds super fast. Every week we had a deadline for a module and had to upload this into moodle. We also had to respond to a question from our instructor and respond to a comment of one of our classmates.

The coursework wasn't particularly difficult but it was a lot of reading and writing. It took me about 1 to 2 hours per day during the whole course. The practicum part of the course consists of 20 hours either observing, tutoring or teaching. I choose tutoring a girl from Armenia who wanted to improve her English and prepare herself for university.

Now several months later I find myself in Hanoi, Vietnam and found a job, all thanks to International TEFL Academy!

The only thing I can think of is maybe set up a chatbox so that we could chat with our fellow classmates. I missed the contact with other students but then again, it is an online course.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps you didn’t notice that there are chat rooms in our online class to discuss items with your class peers. In fact many classmates end of becoming friends and going to teach abroad together (a few even started dating!). We hope you connect with our thousands of alumni in our ITA alumni Facebook groups.

Allison
Santiago, Chile
University of Hartford

Online Course Develops Teaching Skills With Access To Institute Resources Essential for Job Placement!

Overall 9

Bottom Line:

Start to finish, ITA provided me with the necessary support- from personal guidance to developing skills needed to teach in an ESL setting, to qualify me for and land a job teaching abroad.

Choosing ITA and Getting Certified:

Objective:

I returned to University for my last semester in January 2014 determined to graduate, earn a TEFL certification and depart the USA in August 2014-I can honestly say that the ITA helped with every crucial step along the way to making my dream a reality.

Choosing a Course:

My main objective was to seek out all TEFL certification programs that were accredited and would be valid in applying to jobs in the regions I aimed to teach. After doing online research and asking various institutes questions regarding cost, course components and training location opportunities, I confidently chose an online course with ITA.

I was assigned an admission advisor who was key in helping me make my certification program decision. He was SO helpful in talking on the phone with me several times to review the process of earning a TEFL certification with ITA, the timeline of the process and talking honestly about the job placement process in regions I was initially interested in teaching. After learning about the alumni resources made available to students that are geared towards job placement and general support in the transition abroad, I decided an online course with ITA was the best fit for me as it allowed me to concurrently finish my undergraduate degree and work towards my desired summer departure by having a solid 3 months to apply for jobs post-certification and pre-departure.

Actual Course Experience:

This course was actually my first experience with distance learning. I was a bit ambivalent to choose an online certification route, but considering my timeline, it seemed to be the most logical path. I was wildly impressed by the technological infrastructure of the ITA online learning forum that provided all essential resources (ie: contact with professor and peers; extra course materials; links to videos and additional resources to complete assignments) to create an experience conducive to effective learning.

The Institute also provided students with the opportunity to participate in “live” virtual discussions regarding different aspects of the job search process in various regions. This was a really helpful extension of the actual certification course, as I was able to get a sense of how to approach my next step in moving abroad- landing a job, while getting certified.

There were a plethora of support videos demonstrating how to navigate the online forum and complete and upload assignments. Weekly lectures with the option to participate and chat live with our professor were made available on the course page to refer back to while completing weekly tasks. I felt like there was regular interaction with our professor and other peers that simulated a “real” classroom experience as opposed to a mediated and distant learning experience. My professor was always responsive to questions regarding assignment related questions or those focused on a specific teaching tactic in a lesson.

After completing the online portion of the course, which encompassed a variety of tasks and assignments necessary to gaining a good teaching skill-set, my skills were put to the test in the practicum portion of the course. I felt that this was a unique and valuable aspect of the certification process as it provided the opportunity to put concepts learned online into action in a real world setting similar to what I’d experience abroad.

Getting Here (Santiago, Chile!)

Words cannot describe how thrilled I was to complete my course and head out of the USA on schedule with my desired departure date. I landed my teaching job prior to arriving in Santiago by applying to schools and institutes suggested by the ITA in a job search manual. Most of all, I was so relieved to find that all the skills I learned in my course were really practical and actually prepared me to be a successful teacher!

This experience has been exponentially personally and professionally fulfilling, even just on the sheer basis that I was able to successfully set a goal and then obtain the proper certification to qualify me for and land an actual job. In all honesty, I wanted to move abroad post-University graduation to avoid the “real world”. In reality, however, I have gained more real world knowledge about being successfully personally and professionally independent while gaining experience in the education industry, than I would have by staying in the States. I am SO happy with where I am in the world in both my personal life and career, I feel as though I owe much of that to ITA-thanks for everything, I give you my highest recommendation!

The only aspect of this program I would suggest a change is in regards to practicing teaching methods more. There were lots of opportunities to create lesson plans, obviously an essential aspect of teaching, but aside from the practicum supplement portion of the certification process, there were not opportunities to practice executing lesson plans. I understand that this is more challenging task with an online program; however, this type of assignment could be completed using the narration feature of Powerpoint or uploading a video,for example. It is one thing to watch videos of others teaching and to imagine yourself teaching a lesson plan you've created, but it is another to actually be in front of a class and doing it!
Jeff
Incheon, South Korea
University of Georgia

Chicago TEFL academy is 100% worth it!

Overall 9

I didn't realize how valuable the TEFL certification from the Chicago TEFL Academy was until I got overseas and presented it to my boss! She was ecstatic, and said to me immediately, "this definitely increases your professionalism at our school." The program didn't pay for itself until that moment overseas; up until then, I had the same concerns everyone else has: Will I get a job? Where will it be? Can I trust this academy in finding something right for me? I am completely confident with the online program and the academy, and I strongly recommend it to any person considering teaching overseas as it will open the door to you for many opportunities worldwide.

The program itself is challenging because it requires a lot of commitment and time management in completing the readings, tasks, and coursework. I found myself logging on to the course website nearly every day, whether it was to complete an assignment, check for a grade or for feedback from my professor, or just to start an online chat with other students enrolled in the same program. The course itself is very structured, which is great, because from the beginning, I knew exactly when things were to be completed and how much time I would have to complete them. All I had to do was pace myself pretty regularly to ensure that everything was completed on time and I was well prepared for the assignments due each week. Time management can be difficult for some, but with this program, things are laid out for students to see.

I also want to evaluate my course instructor and the staff at the TEFL academy because their support and willingness to help was far better than any college professor I had. I am one to ask many questions, and I did this a lot through the program. Call me an over achiever, but I made sure that if I was confused about something, I sent my instructor an email for clarification. That's what they're there for, right? Once I initiated contact with her the second week, we never seemed to end the conversation. We just kept emailing back and forth about readings and assignments as the questions kept popping up. Also, the staff at the academy is rich with knowledge and experience, and I made sure to take advantage of the opportunity to ask even more questions. I would call about job openings in various countries, ask detailed information about schools in certain countries, and just continually ask for support and guidance about the decision of moving overseas. I am a firm believer that if someone is there to help, ask for help! With this program, you will have an instructor and staff who care about your success and commit to helping you find the perfect job overseas.

Overall, I am very thankful for the TEFL academy! I was able to complete my certification and find a job overseas in four months. Of course, my experience was expedited as I wanted to start working immediately, but it can happen for you! I would strongly recommend giving them a call to see what they can do for you.

I really enjoyed how some of the lessons involved videos for me to watch . All I had to do was click on the link in the tutorial, which directed me to a video that directly related to what I was reading about. If I could suggest one change, I wish there were a few lessons where I could watch the instructor teach a topic as if it was an online skype call. I had a good rapport with her because we exchanged many emails, but for some students, seeing their instructor teach the topic would be valuable for their learning.
Diane
Chicago, Illinois
University of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign

Quality online course

Overall 8

The online course had weekly modules that were informative and had helpful links and videos to related topics. Each week a written project was due that solidified the student's understanding of the material. There was some peer interaction and peer work was posted for everyone to review which was helpful. Instructor responded to all questions in a timely manner. Overall good quality and price.

Observation hours were a requirement which was great. I would have liked more guidance on how to make the most of this time. Also the course was mostly teaching theory but didn't have much info on specific things to use in a classroom and how to run a classroom for us beginners.
RLM
Manoa, Hawaii
University of Hawaii- Manoa

Online

Overall 8

The online class is just… an online class. It was very straightforward. Each week focused on different aspects to teaching, and each week we were tested on the reading material. All very doable.
Email was the main form of communication. Postings for my class held no interaction. Any questions I had were quickly answered though email.
The most enjoyable part of the online course was the lectures. Each month there would be a variety of lectures available to students. Lecture topics ranged from discussions on getting ready to teach in different areas around the world to different books that may interest different levels of students. These lectures gave me a chance to learn more through different experiences. It was also a time to chat with other students and teachers.
Overall, I felt that it was a good program to learn the basics to teaching abroad.

It is true that no program is perfect. I would have liked more interaction with my peers, and I would have like the teacher's availability to alternate from time to time. I felt that I was at a disadvantage because of the time difference. I missed all the "group chats."
Mari
Zaragoza, Spain
Universidad Interamericana de Puerto Rico

Good Program

Overall 9

I took the online course and it permited me to complete my classes with the movility to finish them when I moved from America to Europe. It can be challenging, but then again you want a curriculum worth your time and effort. As for the cost, I found much cheaper programs afterwards, but their material was full of typos and you could tell it was of much lesser quality. I found a job on my own so I don't know if the job assistance bit of this program is good, but overall I am quite happy with it all. :)

When answering back emails I got a reply back, but instead of answering straight away I got sent to links which I could not open on my
iphone. I would have liked for the staff to take the time to at least copy/paste the answer I needed on the email and not making me open links to things that can't be accessed on a smartphone.
Niko
Kansas City, Missouri

Fantastic course and amazing resources

Overall 9

I took the course from ITA in 2012 and learned so much from my instructor Tyler. The resources you gain will work for your whole career and it's great to see a good association for alumni! I liked the program so much that my husband was influenced to take the course as well.

This may have been just my class, but I wish there was more interaction between the students during the course online - I looked forward to gaining more friends throughout our lessons but instead, I now interact more as an alumnus with others who've finished!
Christine
Tehuacan, Mexico
California State University- Long Beach

A Great Investment

Overall 10

I chose International TEFL Academy because it seemed like the best source to get a TEFL certificate online. I was not disappointed. I called and emailed to make sure that what I was investing in was right and everyone was so helpful. The emails and phone calls were always friendly and helpful.

For the online course every week you have to turn in homework/lessons or quizzes and give some feedback on the group board. It was never too much and now that I'm teaching I realize how wonderful all of that was because I feel prepared. Overall I'm so glad I choose to get my online TEFL certificate through International TEFL Academy.

I can't think of anything specific that I didn't like about the program.
Zach
Hsinchu City, Taiwan
University of North Carolina- Wilmington

International TEFL Academy Online

Overall 6

I personally used this program while I was still obtaining my college degrees. I spent an average of three hours a week on the course work. I would read the materials for the unit we were studying and use any of the tools or hints where I volunteered during my undergraduate. I may be an alumnus but I did not use the job search service that is offered by the program. It honestly seemed difficult to use and the interface could use a facelift. Nevertheless, I would recommend the program to any college undergraduate or graduate student because it only takes a semester and takes up about as much time out of your week as a survey course.

Honestly, I wouldn't change the actual course work. I would however change the alumni program. I found a job completely on my own because their process seemed unnecessarily difficult. I did use one of their schools but I never even heard back from the school. So I would say that this program is good for getting your certification but you will have to do your own search for a job.
Provider Response

Hi Zach, thanks for the review. Sorry you felt that we were only worth a 7 out of 10. A few items to comment on.

1) The average amount of hours of work a student does each week for 11 weeks is 8-10 hours plus their extra 20 hours of student teaching. It is impossible to read and comprehend 30 pages (a chapter) a week and do the homework, essays, lessons plans, peer feedback, watch the videos, attend the live webinars in the 3 hours of week you listed you did your class in. Those reading this review should be aware of the right expectations as this is a college level course with a lot of work to do.

2) You stated you did not use the job search guidance. We are sorry if it seemed complicated but we have full time staff for job assistance and their job is to assist you if asked. We do have video tutorials on using our reference guides, live help with resume, cover letter and interviewing. We also have live and taped webinars on the entire processes. Please reach out to our department for assistance if you need it again.

3) You had mentioned you contacted one of “our schools” and did not hear back from them. To clarify, we are a TEFL certification school and do not “have schools”, we have listings of over 20,000 language schools in the world and they interview and hire when they have job openings. If one of those schools don’t reply to an email it could be for a number of reasons just as employers worldwide do or do not reply in all lines of work. You have to interview with many employers to find the best fit for each of you.
While you are correct in your statement that you have to get the job, we train over 3,000 teachers a year and provide very detailed and structured assistance on an individual basis for each of our graduates. Please become involved in our ITA alumni connections and we hope to assist you in the future.

Bob
Nevada

Not Bad

Overall 8

I took the online version of the course and I will have to say that most of the material was very helpful. Some of it was confusing and not explained as thoroughly as I would have liked. I feel help finding a practicum location was inadequate. However I would still recommend this course. I think it provides a good foundation to begin a carer in ESL.

More thorough explanations and more transparent grading requirements.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the review and feedback. We will continue to look for ways to improve this assistance for our students so your feedback is valuable.

For the finding a practicum location we do have a list of schools in every state of the country and it is part of the assignment to do research to volunteer (it's good practice when looking for jobs). For most people it's as quick as googling English teaching centers (inserting your city's name).

For our grading, we have the course syllabus and grading key listed on our website and in the online class. We are sorry that you did not see it or felt it was not transparent.

We hope you use the training to be a great teacher abroad. Please reach out to our student affairs department for any further assistance and also join our ITA alumni groups to connect with the thousands of other graduates.

Chellie
Mobile, Alabama
University of South Alabama

Wonderful and Personal Attention

Overall 10

ITA has made it their personal goal to provide a personalized experience for anyone interested in teaching abroad. From the beginning, I have been in constant contact via e-mail or phone with advisors and instructors. Any question I had was answered before I could even ask.

I was enrolled in the online course. This was recommended by my advisor, as it fit within my timeline and fit around my college work schedule. I was hesitant, but I was given a guest access to view the course before making a final decision. This was the selling point for me.

I did not have a grammar book when I began the course; I thought I could begin the course and get one later. I had to quickly correct that, as the course demands access to a book. I would recommend purchasing a grammar book before taking the online course.

The job search assistance has been incredible, especially when you are working on a tight schedule. Thanks to ITA, I was put in contact with recruiters before I even completed my course. It has definitely made the experience less stressful.

I was torn about where I wanted to go for teach abroad (This is perhaps the best part of choosing ITA). My advisor provided personal photos of his experience and spent almost an hour on the phone guiding me through resources to help pick a location. This experience alone would make me suggest ITA to anyone. The personal attention is truly unique.

The experience ITA has provided is something that I will carry with me into my career. I have been given the tools and resources I need in order to be successful working in a foreign country. The constant contact through Facebook has made sharing experiences easy and exciting. Using the alumni page has helped me in connecting personally with other ITA alumni in my area or in an area I want to travel to.

The only thing I would change about this program is the layout of the online course. Although the video tutorials helped, it was a bit confusing to navigate for a first time online student. Once I figured out the basic layout, however, I had no more issues. I feel like the layout could be made more user friendly and less busy.
Cassie
New Hampshire
Keene State College

First step to the rest of your life!

Overall 9

For several years I had been watching with envy as many of my friends were moving or traveling to other parts of the world. Photos posted on Facebook showed famous monuments, delicious meals, and breathtaking views of places I had never been to. I knew I wanted to travel and see the world but the opportunity never seemed to present itself. Finally, I decided I was going to stop waiting as life passed me by and make the opportunity for myself.

I was intrigued by stories of some of my fellow teacher-friends about teaching English overseas so I started to do some research. When I found International TEFL Academy, I requested further information about the course. Almost immediately, I received an e-mail from Matthew Birgy and, after one discussion on the phone, I was hooked. This was the opportunity I had been hoping for.

I enrolled in the online TEFL course starting that summer. The instructor, Jennifer, was a great resource. She provided quick and helpful feedback and was always available to answer any questions or concerns we had. I had a chance to talk to other students in the course and realized that we came from all different walks of life. Some of us were experienced teachers, others had never set foot in the classroom as an educator; some had traveled the world while others were just starting to plan their first trip. We all supported each other, asking and answering questions and concerns as best as we could. The online course - while I had my doubts at first as to the ability to connect to the instructor and other students - was an incredible resource.

I am currently in the process of moving to South Korea to teach English at a public middle school. This opportunity would never have come about if I had not taken the step to request more information from International TEFL Academy. The amount of support I have received since that first e-mail has been consistent and nothing but positive. I'm glad I took the time to send that first e-mail... it truly was the first step to the rest of my life.

Overall, I think this program is a wonderful experience and resource. Personally, I think I may have benefited from having personal contact with the instructor and/or other students... but, in the end, the online course far surpassed my expectations and hopes!

The one issue I had throughout the course was the inability to upload my assignments using an Apple product (I have an iPad). For some reason, it would not work with the device I used so I had to log on to a PC to upload assignments. Discussion topics worked fine though!
Natalie
San Carlos, Costa Rica
University of North Carolina- Wilmington

Best Decision I've Made

Overall 10

I took my online TEFL course through International TEFL Academy while working full time. I read and studied on week nights and usually did most of my work and projects on the weekends. It required some time management, but was definitely do-able. The grammar review was helpful, along with the interesting articles and content on teaching theory. The practice lesson plans were also very helpful. After completing the course, saving some money, and tying up loose ends at home, I quit my job and moved to Costa Rica to teach. Nothing really prepares you for what it is like, but getting TEFL certified helped me start off on a better foot with great resources and a network of great people to seek info and advice from. I wouldn't do it any other way. I have been teaching English in Costa Rica for 5 months now, and I plan to stay through next year.

I wish the program had more live lectures that could be attended via web.
Jessica
Oregon
Eastern Oregon University

International TEFL academy online program

Overall 8

I found the ITA online class to be exactly what I needed. The teacher was extremely informative,prompt, supportive, and helpful. Any time I emailed her with a question or thought, she would respond with an accurate, detailed reply, usually no more than a few hours later. In the event she would be unavailable she let the class know a head of time. Extremely professional and well put together program.

To find a ESL job abroad it is essential to have a TEFL/ESL certificate. Any job that does not require one, I would be very leery of.

ITA taught me grammar. Not only grammar, but how to turn around and teach that to someone else. They taught me how to form and put together an effective lesson plan and structure. They teach you what are and are not good teaching practices. How to apply the good ones, and how to avoid the bad ones.

I think the program over all is fantastic. The only improvement I would suggest is the job guidance after the fact. I have not had much success in using that function of ITA, and know a few other alumni who feel the same.

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the review on our online class, we are happy you liked it and found it provided you great training to be a ESL teacher abroad.

You did comment on the ITA job search. You have found jobs so far in 4 different countries and have had extensive communication with our job search department and even personally met up with myself (the company president of ITA) while in Spain. We also were very direct for you to not to go to Spain in the summer when schools are closed for vacation. Obviously there is a disconnect if you are working around the world and have our resources and speak with our department. For your comment of others feeling the same, we have a very detailed process for assistance and are in communication with any student who needs additional guidance. If our graduates follow the process they all find success finding work but they need to follow the job process that country requires.

We hope to assist you in the future.

Sincerely,
Bruce Jones, President of International TEFL Academy

Rachel
Barcelona, Spain

Fantastic, trusted program to teach abroad

Overall 10

My review is based on my experience signing up through the Chicago office and then doing the program in Barcelona.

I strongly recommend the TEFL training. I had an amazing experience - the course is demanding and challenging which ensures that you are well-prepared to begin teaching as soon as you complete the program.

The trainers, Stephen and Kerry, are absolutely experts in their delivery of the material, but more importantly, in the way that in just 4 weeks they are able to mold you into the teacher you hoped you would be. I greatly respect Stephen and Kerry, they are highly qualified for their positions and will give you the best training possible.

I really like that the program is smaller than the big TEFL companies because the trainers are able to provide a more personalized approach and take the time to meet one on one with the students and address all types of concerns - professional ones and personal ones too.

Practice teaching was a great experience as there are small group classes that you get to teach while Stephen or Kerry observes and steps in if necessary. Leading up to the class, Stephen and Kerry take you through every step of the planning to make the class as successful as possible. You are then provided with immediate feedback following the class and it is always constructive and useful, giving you a goal for the next time you teach.

I taught in the U.S. for more than 10 years and definitely came into the experience thinking that I could just breeze through it - that wasn't the case. I say that so that potential students are aware that you have to work really hard, but if you're willing to do so and want to learn from the best, then this program is definitely the place for you.

And as an added bonus you have the awesome location of being two blocks from Sagrada Familia.

CBARRY
San Diego, CA
University of California- Santa Barbara

TEFL Academy Online Course

Overall 9

This course has covered many areas in which I have struggled during my own experiences tutoring English in the past. The staff has been extremely helpful along the way and I believe that after completing the 20 hours of classroom practicum I will be knowledgeable in many different techniques of teaching.

arp5078
Stamford, CT

Online TEFL Certification through ITEFL Academy

Overall 8

I took the Online Course from the International TEFL Academy. I researched numerous programs and found that the ITEFL Academy was the most affordable, organized and accredited. The course was exactly what I expected; challenging at times and covered a broad span of topics. If your heart is truly not committed to teaching English, then the course would have been extremely difficult and time consuming for you. Otherwise, if you are a student eager to go abroad, everything flowed smoothly. The staff was and has been extremely helpful. I have graduated months ago and am still in contact with my adviser, emailing her laundry lists of questions and scheduling phone appointments as well. They are extremely helpful post-graduation which is just as important for them guiding you through the course.

smartone
Atlanta
Birkbeck- University of London

Got my money's worth

Overall 8

My experience with ITA was mostly very positive. After much research on other programs and several Q&As with my helpful and knowledgeable admissions advisor, I enrolled in the online course in early 2011. I feel that I got my money's worth.

The curriculum left a bit to be desired. I found several typos and thought most of the assignments could be more challenging; but overall, I would recommend the program. The staff seemed very willing to review and update the curriculum.

The employment resources that they provided also needed to be updated. After receiving my certificate, I used their directory of international schools to search for employment in S. America. I sent resumes to one country and nearly all the email addresses listed were incorrect, as they bounced back to me. Perhaps the listings have been updated since then, though... Ask!

I also greatly appreciated the instructor's willingness to hold online office hours for any questions on a regular basis, as well as the requirement to review peers' homework submissions. It was very interesting and valuable to see how others interpreted the assignments and to learn from their ideas.

I really appreciated the practicum, as it was lengthier than other TEFL/TESOL programs that I researched. I feel that I got a lot of experiential education that enhanced what I learned online. I also simply enjoyed teaching and observing the students!

Provider Response

In regard to a few issued this student mentioned, typos, challenging assignments and job resources
Typos: Our curriculum was originally written in England therefore the words that are perceived as typos are actually correct in England (but seems wrong to an American). We explained to our students that half the world uses textbooks published in England and it’s something all teachers need to understand and use depending on the school they are teaching. We have changed to spelling and examples to American dialect now but are sure the British will think these are spelling mistakes now! As an English teacher, you will find it's all about perspective.

Challenging assignments:
The class is meant to teach and facilitate new students to become English teachers. University classes may be more or less of a challenge to each student, the purpose is to offer a great training class with materials, instructors and resources to learn in the most effective way. There are many assignments and projects due each week which you get out of what you put in. Some people have more of an educational background so some assignments are not as challenging but most students find it is a lot of work and not anything to underestimate.

If you’ve become a well-trained English teacher from the course then we are proud of doing a great job.

Listings of school contacts:
Unfortunately email addresses of employees change every year or two for all jobs and it’s not realistic to update tens of thousands of jobs every year so we’ve changed to listing the website address to directly get the company email address and phone so it is up to date. With all things, going to the source is the way to go. We are always striving to improve the process of providing more resources on the over 100,000 jobs available each year.

We have detailed guides on over 80 countries worldwide that are being updated every week by our enthusiastic interns! All students receive hundreds of pages of job search guidance documents along with a team of live staff to answer their questions on the phone or in person.

We appreciate all student's feedback and our goal is to offer the most comprehensive job search guidance resources in the world to our graduates.

welster86
Gilbert, Arizona
Arizona State University

Great Preparation

Overall 10

I have taught Social Studies for a few years in the states but was worried about how I would do teaching English, especially overseas. After taking this program I feel that I am prepared for my overseas adventure that starts in South Korea in April. Thank you so much for all of your help International TEFL Academy.

International TEFL Academy is fanatical about two things:
1) Providing the highest quality TEFL teacher training.
2) Ensuring our graduates find great English teaching jobs and enjoy a wonderful experience abroad.

All of our employees have worked and traveled abroad extensively, we "get it," and we are passionate about enabling you to experience a great international adventure as well.

Based in Chicago IL, USA, ITA is a worldwide leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad offering accredited TEFL classes in 25 locations worldwide and state-of-the-art online classes part time. We certify 3,500 people a year to teach English overseas and our graduates teach professionally in 80 countries. In addition to earning an accredited qualification recognized worldwide, all of our students receive lifetime job search guidance and access to a full array of alumni services and networking opportunities. ITA also enjoys an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.

Community Photos: