- Bachelor's degrees strongly are preferred but not required. If you don't have a degree, your application will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- High school diploma is a minimum requirement
- Internationally accredited TESOL/TEFL certification, which TravelBud provides in Costa Rica before you begin your teaching placement
Get paid to teach English in Costa Rica, arguably Latin America's most diverse and exquisite destinations when it comes to natural beauty, fascinating wildlife, and a rich cultural history. TravelBud provides an all-inclusive Paid Teaching program which includes everything from pre-departure support, internationally accredited TEFL certification, 100% guaranteed job placement upon acceptance onto the program, in-depth cultural foundation course with multiple excursions and Spanish language lessons, and 24/7 in-country support throughout your placement.
This is an incredible opportunity for anyone looking for an immersive travel experience spending 1 year+ teaching English in Costa Rica!
Due to the employment requirements of the schools in Costa Rica, this program is only open to citizens of the following countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. All participants also need to complete TravelBud's in-person TEFL certification course in Costa Rica as a requirement of the top quality schools we work with.
Increased Flexibility & Precautionary Measures During COVID-19
To ensure the health and safety of all our participants, we have implemented precautionary measures in our program destinations and are offering flexible enrollment options to give all our future participants peace of mind during these uncertain times. Read more here and view our next available start date open for enrollment below: https://travelbud.com/covid-19-update/.
When can I start?
As this prorgam has been incredibly popular, our 2021 dates are full and early 2022 dates filling quickly!
Our upcoming start dates for 2022 are:
- January 24, 2022 FULL
- March 14, 2022 - 6 Spaces Left
- April 25, 2022
- June 6, 2022
- July 18, 2022
- September 5, 2022
Why choose TravelBud?
With so many options out there, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out which is the best one for you. We have carefully designed our Paid Teaching program in Costa Rica with everything we believe is needed for the most successful experience possible, based on our first-hand experience.
While finding a job is important, there's so much more that one needs to guarantee a successful experience. From finding the right job at the right school which pays you well and will treat you fairly, having a support network prior to departure and on the ground to lean on throughout your teaching placement, to receiving the most in-depth cultural orientation possible to guarantee a successful cultural immersion, and a TESOL/TEFL training course which is tailored specifically to Costa Rican schools instead of a generalised focus on all countries, TravelBud's Paid Teaching Program in Costa Rica is without a doubt the highest quality option you can choose. We're a young and passionate team who have all taught abroad ourselves, and we are committed to providing the best experience imaginable to anyone looking to make teaching in Costa Rica a reality!
"I’ve now been teaching abroad for an entire year and it has been the most rewarding experience I could have ever imagined! The in-class TESOL was the perfect way to acclimate myself to teaching English and the cultural orientation provided me with a strong foundation for my immersion into local society. The job placement process was smooth and I absolutely love my school and town! I teach the most amazing kindergarteners and have formed genuine relationships with my co-workers, both local and foreign. The in-country support is one of my favorite aspects of this program, as there was always someone to go to with questions and to check in on me. I highly recommend this program to anyone looking for a truly life changing experience! There are challenges and surprises at every turn, but the growth is so amazing." - Brooke, August 2019
- Guaranteed job placement at a vetted school within our trusted network
- Salary of between $700 to $1000 (USD) per month, depending on qualifications and placement location
- In-depth cultural immersion week which includes multiple cultural excursions, lectures on Costa Rican culture and society, history, politics and geography, and 6 hours of introductory Spanish lessons
- Internationally accredited 120 hour in-class TEFL Certification course completed in Costa Rica, which includes two full days of practical teaching at a local school and is tailored specifically to the English language curriculum and teaching environment in Costa Rica
- Thorough pre-departure support for everything from visa applications, to packing and budget guides and much more - from our experienced team with first-hand experience teaching English abroad. That's right, we've been there and have done it ourselves!
- 24/7 in-country support throughout your teaching placement for assistance with anything - be it big or small
- Accommodation is included throughout your first month of our TEFL certification and cultural immersion course
- Airport pickup and transport to your accommodation
- Friends and couples can be placed together
- Choose between 6 month and 1 year contract, with the option to renew for longer
- Free lifetime of future placements in new countries - Once you have completed your contract in Costa Rica, we will happily provide you with a vetted teaching placement in another country where you are eligible to teach, together with a one-week cultural orientation and 24/7 in-country support in that country - all free of charge! (Choose from Japan, Thailand, South Korea, Myanmar, or Vietnam)
These are the only available dates for 2022 and spaces are limited, so don’t miss this exciting opportunity to start your teaching abroad journey in Costa Rica.
Our Costa Rica program also comes with an excellent in-country cultural orientation done in the mountainous town of Palmares and a highly acclaimed TEFL/TESOL certification course geared specifically to the teaching environment in Costa Rica.
We offer full-time positions to teach young adults at language centers, mostly in the capital city of San Jose. If you're traveling with a friend or partner you can usually be placed together. Costa Rica is an easy country to navigate as a tourist and you’ll be able to take advantage of national holidays to explore, and is also a great springboard from which you can explore the rest of Latin America!
- Due to the employment requirements of the schools in Costa Rica, this program is only open to citizens of the following countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
- Bachelor's degree is preferred but not required
- Candidates must be a minimum of 20 years and maximum of 40 years of age, those aged older or younger will be reviewed on a case by case basis
- Clean criminal record
- A love for foreign cultures and willingness to embrace new challenges
Cultural Immersion Course
Our program comes with an exceptional and in-depth cultural orientation which includes a full week of interactive lessons from experts in the field on Costa Rican culture, history, politics, and geography, plus Spanish language lessons. Exciting cultural activities and excursions are included too such as trips to a local coffee plantation, a history museum, a traditional cooking class, a welcome dinner, and more.
We believe in responsible travel and in the context of teaching abroad, that means being culturally sensitive, respectful travelers. Our cultural immersion course takes place in Costa Rica, run by a mix of Costa Rican and Western staff, and is set up in a way that ensures you gain a broad foundational understanding of Costa Rican culture even before you set foot in the classroom. You'll start teaching feeling much more prepared for your new life abroad, ready to engage with the community you'll be living in and have a rewarding and immersive cultural experience.
Some of what's included on the week-long cultural orientation:
- Learn the basics of speaking Spanish or brush on your Spanish skills with 6 hours of Spanish language classes
- Learn about local cuisine whilst visiting a local market to source ingredients for your authentic Costa Rican cooking class
- Broaden your intercultural understanding through multiple lessons on Costa Rican culture, history, geography and politics
- Visit a local coffee plantation, a history museum, and enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow course mates
Training: Internationally Accredited TESOL Certification
We have vetted the schools we work with in Costa Rica carefully to ensure they have the best working environments for our teachers. With this, they have higher standards than other schools in Costa Rica - one of which is the type of TEFL/TESL certification they accept. If you don't have a recognized internationally accredited TESOL, TEFL or CELTA certificate yet, there's no need to fret - we have you covered.
Our program comes with a highly acclaimed 120-hour in-class TESOL course conducted in picturesque town of Palmares. The course is tailored to the specific requirements of teaching English in Costa Rica. You'll learn everything from classroom management to creating lesson plans and the specific issues Spanish-speaking students battle with when learning English.
Our TESOL Certification Course includes the following:
- 120 hours of in-class TESOL theory and instruction
- Overview of the history and theory of teaching English as a foreign/second language
- Practical training on how to teach speaking, listening, writing, and reading in the Costa Rican classroom
- Extensive training on lesson plan development and presentation
- Multiple opportunities to receive and offer feedback with your peers and instructor throughout the course
- Tons of tips and examples on how to teach English to in Costa Rica
- Extensive training on effective classroom management, being mindful of cultural sensitivities in Costa Rica
- Two full days of practical teaching at a local Costa Rican language center to gain real experience of what it's like to teach in Costa Rica
Got a TEFL/TESOL certificate already?
Due to our partner school's preferences, our Teach English in Costa Rica prorgam is only offerred as a complete package with the TESOL certification done in-country. We do have other progams that offer Placement + Support options, so reach out to our Enrollment Specialists to see what would be the best fit for you!
What our participants say they love most about TravelBud
- Our friendly and dedicated team all have teach abroad experience
- Guaranteed job placement
- Great reviews by past teachers
- 24/7 in-country support
- In-depth cultural orientations with TEFL certifications tailored to the country you'll be teaching in
The TravelBud Team
Grace - With first-hand experience teaching English in South Korea, Grace provides valuable insight into the daily life of an English teacher. She's now the fearless Enrollments Director but still loves helping would-be teachers attain their travel dreams.
Brooke - After living in rural Thailand teaching kindergarten, Brooke joined the TravelBud team in 2019. She's since been providing guidance and resources for those looking to begin their adventures teaching abroad!
Kim - You're in great hands with Kim as your Support Manager! She taught in Korea herself for years and is the go-to gal for walking you through the document collection and visa process. Her friendly demeanor will have you confident and ready for your arrival in Korea.
Aubrey - If you're looking for inspiration in just how travel can inspire and transform, Aubrey's your gal! Having lived in NYC, Los Angeles, and Australia, she can attest to how rejuvenating a change of scenery can be!