- A passport from the UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand
- Bachelor's degree preferred but not required for North Americans (USA and Canada)
- High school diploma is a minimum requirement
- Internationally accredited TESOL/TEFL certification, which TravelBud provides in Costa Rica before you begin your teaching placement
- JOB SECURITY: TravelBud guarantees you a teaching job in carefully vetted schools where every effort is made to match placement preferences.
- SALARY: Earn salaries of $800 – $2000 USD per month and live comfortably because of the low cost of living.
- SUPPORT: We walk you through everything you need to know before you depart to Thailand and from the moment you touch down, you'll continue to receive 24/7 support from our in-country team who will be on hand for you throughout your placement.
- TEFL CERTIFICATION: You will graduate with an Internationally Accredited 120 hour in-class TEFL/TESOL certificate that never expires and can be used to teach all over the world.
- TEACHER NETWORK: A support network of fellow teachers where you can meet other like-minded individuals who are experiencing the same pleasures and challenges you are.
- PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL GROWTH: When you do head back home, you’re not just another resume in a pile of resumes - you are someone different who’s done something interesting and rewarding.
- LIFETIME PLACEMENT: Once you’ve completed your contract, we can guarantee you a position at another partner school throughout Asia for which you are eligible, at no additional charge to you.
For the past 10 years, TravelBud has helped thousands of teachers successfully navigate the intricacies of teaching abroad by offering guaranteed job placements at the most trusted schools, country-specific and online Internationally Accredited TEFL/TESOL Certification, In-depth Cultural Orientations to help you settle into your new environment and award-winning helpful support from start to finish including pre-departure and 24/7 in-country.
In addition the personal assistance and 24/7 support we provide, you’ll also have a support network of fellow teachers where you can meet other like-minded individuals who are experiencing the same pleasures and challenges you are.
We know the key to success is well-trained, culturally-adjusted, and emotionally-supported teachers and we understand from direct experience that working and traveling abroad is a challenging, fulfilling and deeply rewarding personal experience.
Get paid to teach English in Costa Rica, arguably Latin America's most diverse and exquisite destinations when it comes to natural beauty, fascinating wildlife, and a rich cultural history. TravelBud provides an all-inclusive Paid Teaching program which includes everything from pre-departure support, internationally accredited TEFL certification, 100% guaranteed job placement upon acceptance onto the program, in-depth cultural foundation course with multiple excursions and Spanish language lessons, and 24/7 in-country support throughout your placement.
This is an incredible opportunity for anyone looking for an immersive travel experience spending 1 year+ teaching English in Costa Rica!
Due to the employment requirements of the schools in Costa Rica, this program is only open to citizens of the following countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. All participants also need to complete TravelBud's in-person TEFL certification course in Costa Rica as a requirement of the top quality schools we work with.
TravelBud's Fees include Guaranteed Job Placement
We find you a teaching job to ensure you have the maximum work hours allowed under your visa.
When can I start?
Our upcoming start dates for 2023 and 2024 are:
- 27 November 2023
- 12 February 2024
- 8 April 2024
- 3 June 2024
- 15 July 2024
- 19 August 2024
- 25 November 2024
Why choose TravelBud?
With so many options out there, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out which is the best one for you. We have carefully designed our Paid Teaching program in Costa Rica with everything we believe is needed for the most successful experience possible, based on our first-hand experience.
While finding a job is important, there's so much more that one needs to guarantee a successful experience. From finding the right job at the right school which pays you well and will treat you fairly, having a support network prior to departure and on the ground to lean on throughout your teaching placement, to receiving the most in-depth cultural orientation possible to guarantee a successful cultural immersion, and a TESOL/TEFL training course which is tailored specifically to Costa Rican schools instead of a generalised focus on all countries, TravelBud's Paid Teaching Program in Costa Rica is without a doubt the highest quality option you can choose. We're a young and passionate team who have all taught abroad ourselves, and we are committed to providing the best experience imaginable to anyone looking to make teaching in Costa Rica a reality!
"I’ve now been teaching abroad for an entire year and it has been the most rewarding experience I could have ever imagined! The in-class TESOL was the perfect way to acclimate myself to teaching English and the cultural orientation provided me with a strong foundation for my immersion into local society. The job placement process was smooth and I absolutely love my school and town! I teach the most amazing kindergarteners and have formed genuine relationships with my co-workers, both local and foreign. The in-country support is one of my favorite aspects of this program, as there was always someone to go to with questions and to check in on me. I highly recommend this program to anyone looking for a truly life changing experience! There are challenges and surprises at every turn, but the growth is so amazing." - Brooke, August 2019
- Guaranteed job placement at a vetted school within our trusted network
- Salary of between $800 to $2000 (USD) per month, depending on qualifications and placement location
- In-depth cultural immersion week which includes multiple cultural excursions, lectures on Costa Rican culture and society, history, politics and geography, and 6 hours of introductory Spanish lessons
- Internationally accredited 120 hour in-class TEFL Certification course completed in Costa Rica, which includes two full days of practical teaching at a local school and is tailored specifically to the English language curriculum and teaching environment in Costa Rica
- Thorough pre-departure support for everything from visa applications, to packing and budget guides and much more - from our experienced team with first-hand experience teaching English abroad. That's right, we've been there and have done it ourselves!
- 24/7 in-country support throughout your teaching placement for assistance with anything - be it big or small
- Accommodation is included throughout your first month of our TEFL certification and cultural immersion course
- Airport pickup and transport to your accommodation
- Friends and couples can be placed together
- Choose between 6 month and 1 year contract, with the option to renew for longer
- Free lifetime of future placements in new countries - Once you have completed your contract in Costa Rica, we will happily provide you with a vetted teaching placement in another country where you are eligible to teach, together with a one-week cultural orientation and 24/7 in-country support in that country - all free of charge! (Choose from Japan, Thailand, South Korea, Myanmar, or Vietnam)
These are the only available dates for 2022 and spaces are limited, so don’t miss this exciting opportunity to start your teaching abroad journey in Costa Rica.
Our Costa Rica program also comes with an excellent in-country cultural orientation done in the mountainous town of Palmares and a highly acclaimed TEFL/TESOL certification course geared specifically to the teaching environment in Costa Rica.
We offer full-time positions to teach young adults at language centers, mostly in the capital city of San Jose. If you're traveling with a friend or partner you can usually be placed together. Costa Rica is an easy country to navigate as a tourist and you’ll be able to take advantage of national holidays to explore, and is also a great springboard from which you can explore the rest of Latin America!
- Due to the employment requirements of the schools in Costa Rica, this program is only open to citizens of the following countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
- Bachelor's degree is preferred but not required
- Candidates must be a minimum of 20 years and maximum of 40 years of age, those aged older or younger will be reviewed on a case by case basis
- Clean criminal record
- A love for foreign cultures and willingness to embrace new challenges
Cultural Immersion Course
Our program comes with an exceptional and in-depth cultural orientation which includes a full week of interactive lessons from experts in the field on Costa Rican culture, history, politics, and geography, plus Spanish language lessons. Exciting cultural activities and excursions are included too such as trips to a local coffee plantation, a history museum, a traditional cooking class, a welcome dinner, and more.
We believe in responsible travel and in the context of teaching abroad, that means being culturally sensitive, respectful travelers. Our cultural immersion course takes place in Costa Rica, run by a mix of Costa Rican and Western staff, and is set up in a way that ensures you gain a broad foundational understanding of Costa Rican culture even before you set foot in the classroom. You'll start teaching feeling much more prepared for your new life abroad, ready to engage with the community you'll be living in and have a rewarding and immersive cultural experience.
Some of what's included on the week-long cultural orientation:
- Learn the basics of speaking Spanish or brush on your Spanish skills with 6 hours of Spanish language classes
- Learn about local cuisine whilst visiting a local market to source ingredients for your authentic Costa Rican cooking class
- Broaden your intercultural understanding through multiple lessons on Costa Rican culture, history, geography and politics
- Visit a local coffee plantation, a history museum, and enjoy a welcome dinner with your fellow course mates
Training: Internationally Accredited TESOL Certification
We have vetted the schools we work with in Costa Rica carefully to ensure they have the best working environments for our teachers. With this, they have higher standards than other schools in Costa Rica - one of which is the type of TEFL/TESL certification they accept. If you don't have a recognized internationally accredited TESOL, TEFL or CELTA certificate yet, there's no need to fret - we have you covered.
Our program comes with a highly acclaimed 120-hour in-class TESOL course conducted in picturesque town of Palmares. The course is tailored to the specific requirements of teaching English in Costa Rica. You'll learn everything from classroom management to creating lesson plans and the specific issues Spanish-speaking students battle with when learning English.
Our TESOL Certification Course includes the following:
- 120 hours of in-class TESOL theory and instruction
- Overview of the history and theory of teaching English as a foreign/second language
- Practical training on how to teach speaking, listening, writing, and reading in the Costa Rican classroom
- Extensive training on lesson plan development and presentation
- Multiple opportunities to receive and offer feedback with your peers and instructor throughout the course
- Tons of tips and examples on how to teach English to in Costa Rica
- Extensive training on effective classroom management, being mindful of cultural sensitivities in Costa Rica
- Two full days of practical teaching at a local Costa Rican language center to gain real experience of what it's like to teach in Costa Rica
Got a TEFL/TESOL certificate already?
Due to our partner school's preferences, our Teach English in Costa Rica prorgam is only offerred as a complete package with the TESOL certification done in-country. We do have other progams that offer Placement + Support options, so reach out to our Enrollment Specialists to see what would be the best fit for you!
What our participants say they love most about TravelBud
"A Super Supportive Experience From Start to Finish. It has been the most rewarding experience so far, so much so that I decided to extend my posting for an additional 6 months!"
- Lauren, UK, May 2023
"I was scared to try and find a job on my own, especially as I hadn't traveled much before. You also hear the horror stories, so at least with Travelbud I had someone guiding me. I always felt like I had someone in my corner who was looking out for me!"
- Zamambo, South Africa, July 2022"
"Extremely smooth and informative staff. I'd definitely recommend this experience. I was a little nervous to go so far away from home alone, but they made the process simple in terms of explaining VISAs and all the information I needed."
- Deepali, United Kingdom, October 2022
"We wouldn’t be in Thailand if it wasn’t for TravelBud. We love living in Thailand. Additionally, the network of friends that we’ve made across the country is incredible. Anywhere we travel there are friends we can meet up with and adventure with. TravelBud’s staff are friendly and helpful and we definitely will be teaching through a TravelBud program again in the future!"
- Emily, United States, March 2022
"I would highly recommend Travelbud to anyone wanting to teach abroad. From understanding the Thailand school year to TESOL questions to all of my Visa questions and the long process of getting my teaching degree notarized, authenticated, and legalized, Travelbud was with me every step of the way.Every question I had throughout my year of preparing to go abroad was answered quickly and accurately. It felt like I had a friend holding my hand throughout the process and I LOVED that."
- Katie, USA, March 2020
The TravelBud Team- celebrating 10 years of life-changing teach abroad programs.
Over the last 10 years, we’ve helped thousands of teachers successfully navigate the intricacies of teaching abroad.
Our entire enrollments and support team have teach abroad experience.
When enquiring with us you'll be speaking to one of the following knowledgable and personable former teacher travellers:
Grace - Grace taught English in Anseong, just outside Seoul in South Korea. She'll help you get all the answers to the questions you may have about taking the plunge and going overseas for your amazing teach abroad adventure.
Alyssa - Alyssa was an English, math and science teacher at a private school in a beautiful beach town in Costa Rica. While teaching in Costa Rica, Alyssa was able to experience different cultures and travel to other Latin American countries. She'll help you plan your teach abroad adventure to the best of her ability and share her insights along the way!
James - Following James' teach abroad year in Australia James headed back to study but soon found himself fighting with the unquenchable thirst for travel and made his way back overseas, travelling and working from the cold and wet Moorlands of Northumberland to the Sandy shores of Sun-kissed St Tropez. James will guide you through all your options for your teach abroad adventure.
Saskia - Saskia is CEO at TravelBud and taught English in Thailand. She's responsible for overseeing your success teaching abroad. Whether it’s your nerves that need calming or advice on budgets, Saskia is always here to help you on your way to your life-changing adventure!
Kim - Kim lived in Joenju, South Korea, working as an English teacher at two public schools and one boarding school in Wanju. Since then, she's been involved various education initiaties, held the position of enrollment coordinator, was a lead instructor for both online and in-class TEFL/TESOL courses and most recently was a Program & Placement Manager for our South Korea program!
Ben - Ben lived and taught English in the former capital city of Ayutthaya in Thailand. Since returning to South Africa, Ben has become passionate about helping other people to get the opportunity he had to experience a new part of the world and broaden his horizons.
Chelsea - Chelsea moved to Jiangsu province in China and worked as an English Teacher for 5 years at a training centre, a public shcool and an international school. She will assist you with all your support questions and help guide you smoothly throughout your experience.
Read more about the TravelBud team at https://travelbud.com/about/