The Pharo Foundation is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with a strong focus on job creation.
Pharo School Homosha is currently the Foundation’s largest education project and is located in the Benishangul-Gumuz regional state of Ethiopia. Extending over 3.4 hectares, with over 7,000 square meters of purposely designed educational space, the school is the first of its kind in the region; a modern educational and boarding campus with a 240 female student capacity, aiming to offer the best educational opportunities to bright, highly motivated girls from across the region. Our focus on female education is in response to the challenges girls face in accessing high quality secondary schooling. This shapes the School’s vision of achieving all-round academic and personal development of its students to reach their highest potential and become future leaders and role models.
Pharo School will begin its third year of operation in September 2020, and seeks an outstanding, dedicated and experienced educator and administrator to serve as Assistant Deputy Head of School (ASD). Working alongside the Deputy Head, the Assistant Deputy Head will further develop the school’s academic, boarding and volunteer programme, further develop relationships with the BGRS Education Authority, local government and community officials and play a critical role in the future recruitment of strongly qualified students. This position is suited to an individual energised by the opportunity to transform the lives of young Ethiopian women, and can demonstrate a record of accomplishment of leadership, both inside and outside of the classroom and successful experience in school administration.
The Assistant Deputy Head will have sole responsibility for developing an afterschool and weekend boarding program for the students. The Assistant Deputy Head must demonstrate daily active engagement in the school community, including the boarding environment. As a pillar of the school community, the Assistant Deputy Head is required to reside on the school campus.
Role: Assistant Deputy Head of School
Reporting to: Deputy Head of School
Functional relationships: Pharo School Headmistress
Direct reports: Pharo School Teaching Staff, Boarding Proctors
Job posting location: Pharo School Homosha, Asura, Homosha Woreda, BGRS
Key Academic Responsibilities include:
• Assisting in the production of an annual school calendar and the production of the school timetable for all courses.
• Assisting in the development of strategies to improve the student academic performance, with specific focus on growing and developing students’ English and Math skills.
• Assisting in the design of a volunteer programme and staffing plan.
• Arranging the daily schedules of volunteers, along with providing daily support to volunteers.
• Devising and leading initiatives that promote Pharo School to a wider audience of students and parents within the BGRS.
• Assisting in recruiting, testing and retention of academically qualified female students to the Pharo School.
• Developing and monitoring an afterschool boarding activity programme that supports the student’s emotional and academic needs.
• Assisting in the production of student progress reports and report cards.
• Teaching one academic course, or leading one extra-curricular activity.
Key Administrative Responsibilities include:
• Promoting, supporting and encouraging appropriate standards of conduct, with the aim of maintaining a purpose-driven and professional learning environment in the classroom, boarding environment and throughout the campus.
• Input into the ongoing development and implementation of school wide systems, policies and procedures, in consultation with the Headmistress.
• Assisting in the day to day operations of the school campus.
• Developing initiatives that foster community and relationship building with parents and the local community.
• Communicating with students’ families, including meeting with students’ parents to resolve relevant issues.
• Liaising with the BGRS Education Authority, local government and community officials for all related educational compliance matters and with the goal to advancing the school’s programming and vision.
Superb management skills: able to manage and engage with colleagues from diverse backgrounds in a professional and compelling manner.
Dedicated team player with demonstrable experience in school administration.
Self-assured, internally motivated and passionate individual with outstanding communication skills, driven to succeed and make a difference.
Possess high levels of integrity, resilience, accountability, commitment and determination.
Demonstrable ability in building strong relationships with students, staff and parents
Possess high emotional intelligence and cultural sensitivity.
This position is open to female and male applicants. Female applicants are encouraged to apply. Applicants must have legal working status as either an Ethiopian national citizen, or Ethiopian Diaspora.
The application deadline is July 17 2020 and the expected start date for this position is September 1 2020.
In the subject line, please type the position of ASSISTANT DEPUTY HEAD.
Please send the information listed below as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. A detailed CV
2. A letter of application explaining your strengths as a candidate and your interest in the Deputy Head of School position (maximum 300 words).
3. A brief explanation of activities you would introduce to build a strong boarding program that supports students’ academic development (maximum 200 words).
4. A one-page list of five references with current addresses, phone numbers, SKYPE and email contacts.
Review of application packages will begin as soon as they are received and only complete application packages will be reviewed. In the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline.
For this reason we encourage interested candidates to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact selected candidates.
- Graduate or Postgraduate diploma/degree in education, management or other related disciplines.
- Possess a minimum of six (6) years related professional experience; three (3) of these must have been in school leadership roles.
- Outstanding technology/computer skills in administration and in the classroom.
- Strong analytical skills and proficiency in Microsoft packages.
- High levels of thinking and evaluative skills, understanding of assessment and pedagogy
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills in Amharic and English, including fluency in English.
The salary package is competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include Health and Life Insurance, on campus housing and meals.