The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises. The Pharo Foundation took over operations of the Sheikh Secondary School plus two other schools from SOS Children’s Villages International (formally known as SOS Hermann Gmeiner Sheikh Secondary School.) The Pharo Foundation believes the children of Somaliland deserve an in-depth and sound education to prepare them for challenges of tomorrow and is delighted to have the responsibility of running these schools.
The Pharo Secondary School Sheikh is a boarding school located in the Sahil Region of Somaliland. The school is situated in the town of Sheikh between the port city of Berbera and Burcoa in the interior of Somaliland. It has a pleasant cool climate all year round due to its high altitude. The school is renowned for its academic excellence and secure and caring environment in which children of all abilities can experience success and achieve their full potential within a broad and balanced curriculum. The aim is to prepare students to become respectful contributing members of the communities in which they live. The school counts many prominent politicians and other key officials among its graduates.
The school has students from Form 1 to Form 4 with school facilities that consist of 10 classrooms, science laboratories, library, assembly and lecture halls, boys’ dormitories and girls’ hostel, dining hall and a clinic. The school is currently following the Edexcel International curriculum; London University based IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education), and the Somaliland National Curriculum.
With a modern campus, the school’s well-resourced facility and dedicated team of educators seek to rapidly accelerate student learning and English Language development, while building confidence, creativity and critical thinking skills. The school’s goal is to see each student pursue post-secondary education and become leaders and role models in their respective communities.
With the guidance of the school principal, the student advisor/guidance counsellor will offer academic and non-academic support to secondary students. The student advisor/guidance counsellor will give students information and advice about educational issues, career planning and personal development. An important responsibility of advisor is to help students examine post-secondary international school programs, recognize their academic strengths and select a major. The advisor will also be required to help students apply for international universities, scholarships, and grants. The advisor will work closely with teachers and school administrators to help students recognize and achieve their academic goals.
Reporting to the School principal, we are seeking to fill the following vacancy:
o Student Advisor/Guidance Counsellor (one position)
Role and Responsibilities
• Provide educational guidance and assistance for students.
• Recommend international post-secondary programs and determine appropriate education solutions for different types of students.
• Arrange and schedule post-secondary online information sessions and orientation programs.
• Administer standardized intelligence, personality, vocational, aptitude and interest tests, and analyze the results.
• Conduct individual and group counselling sessions to advise and assist students with academic development.
• Develop and coordinate study skills groups or workshops on topics such as note-taking, test or examination anxiety and preparation strategies, and time management skills.
• Assist students with international post-secondary school and scholarship applications.
• Provide students with support through mentoring and coaching.
• Identify behavioural problems and act appropriately to remedy the situation.
• Assess the development of students and highlight their accomplishments.
• Collaborate with academic staff to discuss behavioural, social, and academic issues of students.
• Assume responsibility for additional duties in the boarding school.
• Assist in the school’s involvement in supporting the Sheikh community.
• Additional duties and responsibilities assigned by the line manager.
Self-assured, internally motivated, and passionate individual with outstanding communication skills, driven to succeed and make a difference.
Must possess high levels of integrity, resilience, accountability, commitment and determination, and willing to serve as an outstanding role model in the community.
Has an excellent command of the English Language along with clear and articulate pronunciation.
Experienced in working with schools that are mission driven for academic excellence and student engagement.
Dedicated team player with demonstrable experience in problem solving.
Ability to assess and record student development, while identifying areas which need attention and improvement.
Ability to provide a safe, positive learning environment for students.
This position is open to both female and male applicants, with female applicants being strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address: Recruiting.SL@pharofoundation.org Please type Student Advisor/Guidance Counsellor in the email subject line.
1. A detailed CV and Cover Letter in PDF
2. A one-page list of five (5) references with current addresses, phone numbers and email contacts.
The application deadline is 2nd July 2020.
Review of applications will begin as soon as they are received, and only complete PDF (CV & Cover letter) applications will be reviewed. In the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested candidates to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.
- Bachelor’s degree in Counselling or related (essential).
- Two years of work experience as a counsellor in an academic environment.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures relating to international post secondary admissions, registration, testing, and placement.
- Skill in delivering classroom and public presentations.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Analytical thinker with strong problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time-management skills.
- Perceptive intuition and decision-making skills.
- Remarkable professionalism and solid work ethic.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English (oral and written form).
- Of good moral character: honest, trustworthy, and dependable
- Must be willing to work in Sheikh.
- Familiarity with computers and other school technologies and software packages.
- Must have a health certificate
The salary and benefits package is competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Medical insurance is provided in accordance with The Sheikh Secondary School’s health policy.