The Engage Language Centre is an educational space providing language classes and other services for adult asylum seekers of all backgrounds, abilities and levels in Chios island, Greece. We are looking for two volunteer English teachers who are interested and committed to contributing a minimum of two months full time to this project (with PCR test 72h prior to arriving to Greece, mandatory quarantine time upon arrival and a second PCR test 7 days after arrival) from April onwards.
About the project:
Traditionally, the Language Centre opens Monday-Saturday, with a set timetable of classes and activities. We have 10 English classes ranging from beginners to upper-intermediate. Students are assigned to a class depending on their level. Each class is an hour and half, 3 times a week. Students are also able to learn Greek, French and German, if there is staff available. Other services available at the centre are free sessions with volunteer lawyer teams on the island, mental health workshops, art, conversation, reading and gardening activities. The centre has a very friendly welcoming atmosphere while delivering a high standard of language education.
Due to the unprecedented times caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Language Centre has had to adapt in order to keep services available. At present, the centre runs exclusively online. Once a week, our students can attend their lessons via whatsapp video call.
We are expecting to reopen the Language Centre as soon as the lockdown restrictions allow us to. Upon reopening, we will need to adapt our traditional class schedule in order to comply with COVID-19 restrictions. There will be only one class in the centre at any given time. Depending on the covid situation, online teaching may continue as well.
We constantly need to adapt to changing government restrictions. Hence we are looking for flexible people, who will be comfortable with schedule changes and generally, comfortable to work in a rather unpredictable environment.
- Teach English to different class levels for at least 10h per week, in class and/or online.
- Plan, create and organise your own lesson plans and classroom activities (with guidance & support from existing curriculum).
- Plan and implement extra curricular activities.
- Set the correct tone and atmosphere of the Language Centre - a calm, comfortable, clean, positive and welcoming environment.
- Ensure COVID-19 protocols are followed by students and teachers.
- Support other teachers in the team on a day-to-day basis.
- A fluent English speaker.
- A TEFL or CELTA certificate.
- Previous classroom experience teaching English.
- Able and willing to teach online.
- Commit for a minimum of two months.
- Sensitivity towards our student population.
- Able to work well as part of a team.
- Flexible and able to cope in a fluctuating context. - Clean police check.
- Quarantine in separate accommodation and COVID PCR test after 7 days quarantine.
- Free accommodation post quarantine. A shared room, in a well maintained house with other volunteer teachers.
- Free transportation for professional purposes.
- Send your CV to: email@example.com
- Please note that due to the high numbers of applications, we do not have the capacity to reply to everybody. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for the next application step.
- TEFL or CELTA Certificate
This is a volunteer position. While we do not provide any financial assistance, we do provide free shared accommodation.