Intensive Chinese Language Program with Hutong

Cooking classes in China
Cooking classes in China
group around a table studying
group around a table studying

Immerse yourself in Chinese language and culture and quickly improve your skills with Hutong School's Intensive Chinese Language Program. Join us in vibrant Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou or Chengdu, where you’ll take small group classes for 4-hours per week that are tailored to your level and interests. You'll learn from experienced native Chinese teachers who will help you achieve your goals with quality courses, a personalised study plan and free tutorial sessions. Whatever your level, there's a group for you.

Our fully supported program offers you the chance to immerse yourself in Chinese language and culture whilst making lifelong connections from around the world. Alongside your classes, you’ll get to join our cultural activities (calligraphy, cooking classes, excursions and more) to help enrich your experience and broaden your knowledge of China. When you’re not busy studying, you’ll be out exploring your host city with new friends, practicing your Chinese skills.

• Intensive Chinese classes suited to your needs.
  • Start at the beginning of any month.
  • Learn from outstanding teachers.
  • Take group or private lessons.
  • Join a range of cultural activities.

• Instruction 9
Rachel

Two-month Intensive Chinese Language Programme

Overall I had a blast at Hutong School in Shanghai, and the fact that I only stayed for 2 months was regrettable.

For starters, whatever the teachers do, they do so in the interests of their students. They are professional and they try their best to cater to our needs and preferences. My laoshi kept me interested and engaged in every class, and she gave me more than I requested. She helped me to reconnect with my Chinese heritage that I went home with a newfound appreciation for the culture and the elegance of the language.

What the city has to offer, from a variety of Chinese cuisine to innumerable scenic and historical spots, is also a reason why this programme is highly recommended. Although Shanghai may not be as formal as Beijing, the culture is still very much alive there. One of my personal favourites was the palpable solidarity among the elderly during Guangchang Wu! In addition, the public transportation is superb, so it’s extremely easy to get around in Shanghai as well as to explore out of Shanghai.

Participating in school activities is a must! Some can be overpriced, but there are plenty of them to pick and choose from. If I hadn’t gone to any, I wouldn’t have been able to further experience the true lifestyle and culture of Chinese society, and I wouldn’t have met some of the most interesting people coming from all corners of the world.

Certainly, not everything went smooth and perfect. In my case, the application process took longer than necessary. Should the same thing happen to you, I recommend calling the office directly to get immediate and clearer response to your queries. Another tip is to contact the programme director or your consultant in private in case of any urgent matters since not all staff are readily available to assist 24/7.

For me, the trouble at the beginning was totally worth the fun and learning I experienced in Shanghai.

1. Better and more thorough explanation of the selected programme (early notice would be greatly appreciated)
Talking from my personal experience, I felt indignant when I was told that my class would have to be cut short from 4 to 3 hours, as the status of my class had changed from group to private with my classmate's departure. I understand that school policy dictates so, however, I was told at the start that I was entitled to a 4-hour class, and I was not made aware of the different permitted class hours for private and group.
If only this detail had been highlighted to me on the first day, I would have been happier to abide by the change.

2. Better information concerning housing
When I came, the bedding was not clean and the AC was broken. It would be great if a room check is done before the new student's arrival, and perhaps they can be notified about things they may have to buy for themselves (e.g. new set of bedding, towels, etc.). If this is too much work, existing occupants of the apartment can help with giving this kind of information to their new roommate.

3. Make textbooks cheaper
I think having to pay 180 kuai for a beginner textbook is unreasonable. I know there are textbooks that are much cheaper, selling at 30 kuai each, and those are textbooks for higher levels, and they seem to have much more content in comparison with those for beginners. It would be nice if the disparity can be minimised.

In conclusion, I think applicants have the right to be fully informed with regards to what they should be expecting when they come to Shanghai. If this is done well, students will surely have a better experience of studying at Hutong.
Luca

Amazing Experience with Hutong School in Shanghai

It all started in early 2012. A friend of mine told me about Hutong School, and how he had a great experience with it, in Beijing. I decided to try it myself, and got in touch with the school through their website. The staff immediately proved to be a great help, and in a short time I had booked an intensive study program. I arrived in Shanghai in July 2012: a boy who worked for the school was there waiting for me, and accompanied me straight to my apartment (included in the registration fee): spacious and clean. In the following days lessons began, 4 hours a day from Monday to Friday. I was entrusted to my teacher after a brief test, concerning my knowledge of Mandarin. In addition to the lessons, the school organized various activities and involved staff members and students: martial arts lessons, Chinese cuisine, group dinners, trips etc. It is definitely worth it, and it has left me beautiful memories. I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn Chinese, in China, having fun while learning!

What was your funniest moment?
When I attended to the Chinese Noodles making course: I really struggled with it. At least, in the end they were edible!
Michael

3-Month Intensive Language Program

I have had an enduring interest in learning languages and had taken a Chinese (Mandarin) language course in college; however, I learned more in 3 months living in Shanghai than I did over an academic school year at a university. I was given an initial, informal screening to determine my strengths and weaknesses. That helped both the teaching staff and me come up with the best course for my interests. There was no hassle or pressure for me to reach a goal for the school, but focused mainly on my goal and potential. The coursework and content were thoughtful and tailored to help me become more fluent in the language. The teachers emphasized correct speech and pronunciation, which is invaluable to any language learning, and also helped develop all aspects of the Chinese language including reading, writing, and correct grammar usage to help me express more meaningful thoughts and phrases. The academic work was just as rewarding as the friendships I made during my time here as I still keep in touch with my former classmates and teachers. I highly recommend this school and program for anyone interested in an authentic Chinese language program at any age or ability level.

About Hutong School

Join Hutong School to study, intern or volunteer in China. Founded in 2005 in the Hutongs of Beijing, Hutong School has over 10 years of teaching experience. We now have locations in Shanghai, Beijing, Hangzhou and Chengdu. All our programs are...