Silk Mandarin: Intensive Chinese Programs in Shanghai

Intensive 30 & Intensive 20
The Intensive 30 Course is with 30 classes per week our most immersive Course. It focuses on acquiring the highest level of Conversational or Business Chinese, at the same time preparing the student to pass the Chinese HSK exam.
Compared to the Intensive 20 Course the Intensive 30 Course allows for two additional afternoon classes per day in which what has been learned in the morning is being practiced in an effective yet fun way in the afternoon. Apart from that, the Intensive 30 course includes a Friday afternoon out of class Activity: we take the students outside where they can practice their Mandarin in the real world. Class size is small with a maximum of 8 students.

Express 30
The increasing importance of HSK has been the reason to design our Express 30 course. It is undoubtedly the fastest way to pass your HSK exams with good results. In this course we stretch the student’s language skills to the fullest. The class size is with 4 students small.

• Full immersion in Chinese language and culture
  • Full time teachers native to China and bilingual
  • Slow Motion Technique to teach you Chinese with just one rule
  • 2 in 1 curriculum to teach you Conversational Chinese and to prepare you to pass the HSK exam
  • 2 plus 1 to teach you Business Chinese and to prepare you to pass BCT exam

• Instruction 9.7
Felix

Chinese can be fun, just do it in slow motion!

Silk Mandarin was recommended to me by a good friend last year when I had just started my then three months stay in Shanghai. As I had already acquired some Chinese basics before at my university in Germany, I had at many occasions been told that studying this language first and foremost consists of meticulously and consitently reviewing Chinese characters and that, most of the time, it requires a large portion of motivation to not give up too early. And that was exactly what my univserity course was like: outdated teaching and learning methods not really encouraging the students to actually enjoy the whole learning process.
However, my opinion on this radically changed when I started my first class at Silk Mandarin last year! Among the countless things that fundamentaly differ from my previous Chinese experiences, it is probably their practical, daily life oriented approach combined with the unique slow motion technique that amazes me the most. It is just unbelievable who fast I could see first progresses in my language skills. And also, the entire staff is so motivating that even in times of despair and discouragement they somehow manage to put you back on your feet and gain new energy for the challenges ahead.
I have at no point regreted my decision studying Chinese at SIlk Mandarin and can wholeheartedly recommend the school to anyone coming to Shanghai to study this beautiful language!!!

Jordane

My Testimonial

After living in Shanghai for some months, I needed to have basic Mandarin skills. I tried online and in-person classes. They helped me, but I realized I needed more.
At Silk Mandarin,the online and in-person classes options are available. Moreover the flexibility of the schedules and the Slow Motion Technique give me that little extra. At Silk Mandarin, all staff members go all the way to create a proactive atmosphere where you always learn and practice new words. It is very professional and very informal at the same time. More like a language hotel. If there was ever such an establishment. At Silk Mandarin,it is truly more than just talking. It is fully communicating.

I would suggest that the '' Talking Corner'' Activities be made free.
Mathias

great school that innovates in learning methods

I have been living in China for the last 2 years and studying on and off. A friend of mine recommended Silk Mandarin and I have been studying here for the last 6 months. I only study 2 times 3 hours per week, but I have been able to improve rapidly with Silk Mandarin’s study methods. Unlike other Chinese schools, Silk Mandarin tries develops new techniques with their students together in order to speed up their learning. One such technique is the slow motion method: check their website for a more detailed explanation! Atmosphere in the school is also very good and staff works hard!

Housing! There is no housing yet but they are working on it, should be less than 6 months
Daniel

Good teachers, innovative classes, good atmosphere --> excellent school!

I have been living in China for the last four years and have tried all types of Mandarin schools and university programs. Two years ago I found Silk Mandarin and this is the only place where I have been studying Chinese ever since. Silk Mandarin's program is developed by foreigners and Chinese teachers together, which makes their learning method much more effective. I have been able to improve very rapidly and am about to finish my HSK 5. Besides the quality of the lessons, the atmosphere in the school is also very good (which is very important for pleasant studies). The school does not offer any housing program at the moment, but is about to move to a bigger school and will offer this in a few months from now.

A housing program would be a nice addition to the school, but I do not really need this.
Roshni

Best decision I made!

I have been in Shanghai for over 7 years and I had tried to learn Mandarin before but I failed. When I won free classes with Silk Mandarin, I had just signed up for trial classes with another school to support my roommate in her effort to learn Mandarin. I attended those classes with her and thought I would come just for those free lessons at Silk Mandarin and then continue at the other place which was closer to where I live. However, Andy is an amazing teacher. Silk Mandarin’s teaching methodology, the cards and the talking pen as well as the other two students, Heidi and Sisay soon had me signing up to continue taking lessons at Silk Mandarin. Since then I have recommended Silk Mandarin to other people and I will continue to do so!

When possible, allow for students to make up for missed classes in a similar level group.
Daniel

Excellent Techers and an Excellent Experience

I've been studying at Silk Mandarin for 3 years and my Chinese skills have progressed a lot. The lessons are catered to my needs and their time is flexible, they also host a lot of events and I have made a lot of good friends through the school. I am currently studying for the HSK6 and when I started my level was HSK3 as I had learned some basic Chinese before I came to Shanghai. I have learned to read and write and am comfortable enough with my language skills that I can live easily in China without help. I can't recommend them enough!

Alena

My experience

My experience with Silk Mandarin was excellent! I arrived in Shanghai as a beginner and the course that I started was perfect for me. I had the possibility to have classes during the weekend and my teacher Shirley was great! I have learned quickly with their teaching methodology and I recommend this school and this course everyone who has busy schedule during the week. As well as this school has an amazing just opened office in Suzhou, which we had pleasure to visit. The new location is in historical city. It has an amazing location with picturesque view, and close to the public transportation.

Simone

Great study journey and great results

The teachers are not only very professional but also able to mix fun and learning at the same time. Each class is also linked to real life situations (day to day life, work, etc.) which makes the learning more effective and applicable. They follow their own scheme and structure for each class, and there is always a positive outcome. I have improved my Chinese level with a very fast pace and I can definitely say that since attending classes in Silk Mandarin I have learned more than I would ever expect before. Thank you 老师们!!

Justin

5 months of experience

Through over five months of one-on-one lessons at Silk Mandarin my experience has been excellent. Having tried a couple of other schools and teachers here in Shanghai, I’ve found Silk to be a very personal and professional team. They helped me craft a schedule and package that worked with my budget and time availability. In terms of methodology I was hesitant at first to commit to learning to read characters, but based on their recommendation I decided to give it a try. As predicted it was an important factor in enabling a solid breakthrough in terms of my quickly learning new vocabulary and more completely understanding the nuances of the language. My teacher Jasmine was able to help me quickly progress through HSK level 3 and has enabled a new level of confidence in my speaking and understanding. I would highly recommend the school to anyone looking to make a studious effort to learning Mandarin.

alexandre

My experience with Silk Mandarin

It has been a great experience with Silk Mandarin, I’ve progressed well and fast due to the quality of the teaching. I did really enjoy the way of teaching. The teachers and staff are very passionate and engaging as well as helpful and knowledgeable and I I had never learned any chinese before I came here, and after only 5 lessons of 1h30 each, I now know many things, and I didn’t expected to know that much!

Alexander

Amazing school with the best teachers

I've been living in Shanghai for o´ver 5 years and tried many different schools. At Silk Mandarin I've had the best experience by far and always recommend it to my friends that need a place to study Chinese. They make it fun, they care about your learning, and it works... I started around HSK2/3 level and am now 6. Have introduced many beginners also who loved it and still go many months after starting.

It's a very wholesome program that i highly recommend to others. Nothing i can think of that needs to be improved.
Anand

Learnt a lot in a short space of time

I definitely felt the benefit of being at one of the smaller, but still popular language institutions. The teaching style and techniques are very effective and after two weeks I can’t really believe how much vocabulary and grammar I have been able to absorb. The staff are very friendly and make you feel like you are part of their family, which makes it a much more enjoyable environment to learn the language in.

more variety of activities and learning materials in the class
development of online platform to learn from home.. with access to the slides
Jacqqueline

My Silkmandarin experience

I have greatly appreciated my time at Silkmandarin. The teachers and staff memebers have been very friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable. With the help of Silkmandarin (teachinga and resources) I have improved my Chinese language skills as well as had a lot of fun along the way. The facility is located very close to the heart of Shanghai so it is very convinient. I feel the price is on the higher end but the course is well worth the money. I am satisfied with the overall experience and would recommend Silkmandarin to prospective students.

I would have appreciated more activities, however the ones they have all well organized (cost of activities does not include in the course fee). The facility is rather small, although this is understandable due to its central location (next to Shanghai Museum). Otherwise Silkmandarin offers everything you would want in a language course.
Rodolphe

A very efficient program

When I came in Silk Mandarin School, I was in need to improve my Chinese language for my work. Teachers work together in a very nice ambiance and improve their way of teaching everyday. Thanks to Silk Mandarin School I spend 6 month on the side of my work to prepare thé HSK3. And now on the way to the 4. Wish a nice time with this team at Silk Mandarin School.
If you have any question don't hesitate.

Organize outdoor class :)
Vaheana

General Chinese Class

I really enjoyed studying in Silk Mandarin. Teachers are always available and happy to help. The atmosphere is always joyful. Plus, at the minute, you enter Silk Mandarin, you can completely immerge yourself and practice your Chinese (which is rare occasion in Shanghai!). Everybody is here to help you progress, no matter your level. What I liked the most is the fact that it doesn't really feel like a school but more like meeting and talking with friends! The best way to learn!

About Silk Mandarin - Language Training Institute

At Silk Mandarin you will learn Mandarin effortlessly! Our ground-breaking SLOW MOTION TECHNIQUE paves the way, as it teaches you Mandarin with just ONE rule instead of dozens. Which student wouldn’t like that? A wide variety of incredible teaching...