Intensive Chinese Programs in Shanghai with Silk Mandarin

Chinese Summer Camp in Shanghai - Early Bird Discount

Sign up before January 1st to receive a 10% discount for our Summer Camp!

This program is ideal for parents who want to give their child a head start at becoming a global citizen by learning Mandarin in China!

We will teach students our innovative Slow Motion Technique, a popular method at our school, which teaches Mandarin with just one rule instead of dozens.

Intensive 30 & Intensive 20
The Intensive 30 Course is with 30 classes per week our most immersive Course. It focuses on acquiring the highest level of Conversational or Business Chinese, at the same time preparing the student to pass the Chinese HSK exam.
Compared to the Intensive 20 Course the Intensive 30 Course allows for two additional afternoon classes per day in which what has been learned in the morning is being practiced in an effective yet fun way in the afternoon. Apart from that, the Intensive 30 course includes a Friday afternoon out of class Activity: we take the students outside where they can practice their Mandarin in the real world. Class size is small with a maximum of 8 students.

Express 30
The increasing importance of HSK has been the reason to design our Express 30 course. It is undoubtedly the fastest way to pass your HSK exams with good results. In this course we stretch the student’s language skills to the fullest. The class size is with 4 students small.

• Full immersion in Chinese language and culture
  • Full time teachers native to China and bilingual
  • Slow Motion Technique to teach you Chinese with just one rule
  • 2 in 1 curriculum to teach you Conversational Chinese and to prepare you to pass the HSK exam
  • 2 plus 1 to teach you Business Chinese and to prepare you to pass BCT exam

• Instruction 9.8
Agustín

Can't complain

Everything was great. I really cannot complain about anything. Super recommendable. Place is amazing and so the teachers. My teacher was Christina who is excellent at teaching Chinese. Their procedure of teaching with ppts, writing in the phone and other ways, make silk mandarin an incredible institute.

I started in September of 2018 and did HSK 1 and HSK 2. Already booked and looking forward to star HSK 3 in the following month. Teachers are all really nice who talk to you during break time so you can also practice with them all the new words and grammars you just learned during class. I greatly recommended you to start learning Chinese with silk mandarin as you won't regret at all.

I should say 我非常爱Silk Mandarin。

新年快乐!!

George

Good school

I did a 6 week course of intensive Chinese. It was 4 hours every day from Monday through Friday, 3 hours with 2 others as a group class and 1 hour one on one. Teacher Christina was great. Instruction was very fast paced, clear and organized with substantial homework. We have covered up to Hsk 3 in that time frame. I haven't been to any other Chinese school in Shanghai, which I am told there is a huge number of, so I can't compare and contrast the overall quality but I had no issues with Silk Mandarin, it is a good place to learn Chinese. Everyone, from teachers to staff at the School is encouraging of students' learning Chinese and help converse with you in Chinese any time you want. Since I was there through December and January, there were no activities at the school besides one Christmas party mid December, due to it being offseason.

Travis

Extremely satisfied and happy

First, I want to say that Silk Mandarin is by far the best school there is to learn Chinese. I have tried many other schools and most recently I tried studying at Jiaotong University. I wasn't happy with all their teaching methods. Specifically with Jiaotong the classes were to big, and there was no feeling of connection with the teachers. My good friend Alex gave me the recommendation to try Silk Mandarin. After the first trial, I was hooked. One thing I love is their use of the flash cards. These are really creative and help me a lot with my reading and vocabulary. The most important thing though is it helps with my grammar. Jessica was my first teacher, and she helped me so much. I needed to start HSK3 intensive course, but I never studied characters before. She used these cards by making me create sentences, and it made the class fun. Again, it wasn't just learning vocabulary and characters. This helped tremendously with my grammar. Jessica is such an enthusiastic and motivated teacher. After all our sessions, I was sad to leave her class. Teaching Chinese is her passion, and you can see that every time you walk into the classroom. David and Marsha are both my teachers now for HSK3. Once I met David, I knew this intensive course was going to be so much fun. David gives off a very welcoming vibe. We joke about each other and share stories. He is also super knowledgeable about characters. He knows anything and everything about radicals and how to help remember these new characters you start to learn. Marsha has been helping me now for a few weeks with extra practice on material learned from the intensive course. She helps me review translations and answers any other questions I have that I missed. The most recent grammar structure I learned was "把“. It didn't sink in totally after the first class, so she grabbed a separate grammar book with multiple examples in English. I then translated these into Chinese, and she continued to help through step by step. Overall the teachers are all professional, patient, and outgoing. They truly care about your learning experience no matter if you are doing part time or full time. It's a family at Silk. I am real happy with my decision studying here, and I suggest to everyone to at least try it for yourself.

Felix

The pleasant way to learn Chinese

In September last year (2018) I started learning Chinese with Silk Mandarin in Shanghai. From the first visit I felt in very good hands. Since I had some basic knowledge of the language, especially through several individual lessons with a private teacher, the Silk Mandarin team used the trial lesson to test my Chinese knowledge (if there has been any). So I didn't have to start all over again. The demo lesson was also a great opportunity to get to know Silk Mandarin's learning method and, together with a teacher, to set up the individual curriculum according to the learning goal. All materials used are perfectly coordinated and allow each student to deepen their knowledge after class easily.
After the trial lesson I was assigned a teacher - Amelie. Amelie is a great person and teacher, always in a good mood and makes learning Chinese fun while pushing me to reach the next level. She adapted the curriculum based on my language skills initially. Contrary to my experience with private teachers, with Silk Mandarin you are pushed and driven to perform. Every teacher has the goal to make his/ her student better; I didn't have that feeling with any private teacher before. The pace is demanding but with, reasonable learning effort, feasible. The lessons are fun, even on days when you are not convinced of your learning process - it simply takes time. But all teachers (Amelie in my case) always manages to motivate me in a low.
The school also offers several activities (excursions etc.). So far I have only made it to the Christmas party, which was a nice and well-organised event, which left a great impression on every visitor.
Silk Mandarin literally focuses on the learning success of its students and focuses everything on supporting every single students to master Chinese.
I can highly recommend to learn Chinese with Silk Mandarin.

Rosey

Silk Mandarin

The first time I heard about Silk mandarin it was through a friend. My friend in question had another friend who worked there. While the thought of learning chinese attracted me it was not feasible at the time with my schedule. After a while my schedule allowed me enough time to begin my studies and so silk mandarin was my first option after my friends compelling recommendation.

I have now been studying at silk mandarin for over a month. Before enrolling at silk mandarin my chinese level was bare minimum so when I began,at first I had some private lessons to give me the systematic basis I needed to continue ie pinyin. Within month I went from none to hsk one and on then to hsk two. I feel I can now confidently have a basic conversation with a native speaker.

At the moment I am studing hsk two as mentioned before,my teacher Hannah has made learning chinese a breeze with her marvelous explanations and methods. She is very helpful even when it comes down to answering all of my vexing questions. In all honestly I could use a bit of her patience in my daily life. I can not emphasize how brilliant she is.

When I am not at the school I use the magic pen and cards to revise the new vocabulary I have learnt,both the pronounciation and charachters. I can not imagine revision without them they truly are a wonderful and helpful aid especially with all those pesky tones.

Although I have only been at silk mandarin for a short period I could not help but notice that everybody is so close like a small un-orthadox family. They are constantly arranging and running activities for the members and staff that further strenghten relations and although I have yet to make it to an even,t I am sure that there will be many more to come were I can make my appearance.

Silk Mandarin is located in jingan in the SOHO building and super easy to find. The office itself is very cozy, its a bright and uplifting environment aswell as being warm and welcoming. The moment you enter, you are greeted by smiling faces and the smell of freshly brewed coffee. Once seated in one of their classrooms you engulfed in a whole new bubble of comfort and security with the freedom to work at your own optimum pace.

Everyone at silk mandarin has been nothing but nice to me from the very begining whether it be the receptionist welcoming you when you enter or the chats between classes with other staff and students while everyone is refueling with coffee. Every one has a mutual understanding and interest in bettering themselves and taking on the task of learning chinese and that has brought them all together under the one roof. Any questions you have will not go unanswered,anytime you need help, someone is there to lend you a hand.

I am thoroughly confident to entrust silk mandarin with my chinese studies and I will continue to recommend them whenever possible as so far, the results have astounded my collegues and I, as well as others around me. Not to brag but yes the results are very positive and I could not have done it alone.

Kamil

Silk Mandarin Review

Had a chance to study in the school for 6 months, satisfied with everything starting from pricing (one of the cheapest in downtown) all the way to location. Big variety of classes available: part time 2 times each week (2 hours session), private lessons, intensive courses, etc.

Good approach, interactive, was also provided a lot of ongoing out of class support on online sources to continue studying out of "in class time" such as quizlet links to test my knowledge on everything: characters, writing and reading. Speaking is on your own guys, if you want get good at it - just go out to speak with some old guys on the street, they will be more than happy to keep on some conversations with you. Apart from that, expect to get very good solid foundation of Chinese language.

Well done Silk Mandarin !!

Paulo

Helpful and superfriendly

Since I arrived in Shanghai I thought learn Chinese will improve my life quality. However at the beginning I choose a more amateur and easy way to learn with a friend of mine. After I decided to ask support to a professional school and professional teacher. Many people recommend me Silk Mandarin. I have been at Silk Mandarin since January and have really enjoyed my experience here. The classes are just want I was looking for in an intensive language program, and the teachers and staff are super friendly and helpful. In addition to classes, the school offers several activities each week which are great for learning more about Chinese culture or meeting new people. I would definitely recommend this program if you are looking for a Chinese language program in Shanghai.

Sara

Do you want to learn Chinese quickly and have fun doing it?

When it comes to learning languages, my ambitions have always overshadowed my end results. Silk Mandarin helped me change that!

Before starting my course with Silk Mandarin, I knew nothing except "Nihao". I was going to stay in Shanghai for 3 months and wanted to put the time to good use.
I was introduced to Silk Mandarin by another exchange student and after a consultation where we were introduced to their method, we were sold!
After two months of two three hour lessons per week, I can introduce myself and get by in simple conversations.

We are five people in my class and Jessica, our teacher, is amazing at making sure we all keep up and have fun while learning Chinese. She's very attentive and answers all our questions, and when we ask about useful things to learn when navigating Shanghai.
I've already recommended it to the next exchange students coming to Shanghai from my home university.

Here's the kicker; I opted for Silk Mandarin despite being offered FREE lessons by my university, and the best money spent and best decision I've made while in Shanghai!

Aside from efficient and rewarding lessons, what you can expect from Silk Mandarin:
- Clean & Modern classrooms
- Free coffee, tea & water
- A warm atmosphere
- Professional, patient and welcoming staff and teacher
- Good study material; the flashcards and the magic pen are a godsend!

Don't hesitate; they'll take good care of you, and your language skills!

Daniel

Weekday group course

The first time when we arrived in Shanghai we recognized very fast that it would be necessary to understand only a little bit of what Chinese people are talking. We had problems in using a taxi, ordering food or managing the household. The decision was made very quick to start learning mandarin soon to survive for two years in Shanghai. But without the characters! Would be to difficult for us we thought. After some recommendations of colleagues we went to Silkmandarin and this was probably our best desicion. The school is located near to a subway station in a nice building. Everything is well prepared (material, planning, lessons, classrooms, ...). But the most important point is: We can't imagine that there would be a better teacher for us in whole China. We really had fun to go to school although we had to do a lot of homework. I never had thought that I would say something like that anytime. Now we are looking forward to start with the HSK2 course in January to finish master "survival chinese". 我们爱Silkmandarin。谢谢你们。And without noticing we even learned the characters. :)

Annelize

One of the best choices from my China experience!

Silk Mandarin is the first language school i’m taking classes at, and for sure the best one.
The school is located ideally in the center of Shanghai and in a new building, therefore the classrooms are perfectly equipped and the environment is nice.
Everyone is very welcoming and while enjoying some food or drinks (offered by Silk Mandarin) there’s the opportunity to meet new people who are living the same life as you, alone in a new city on the other side of the planet.

I’ve been here for 2 months now, and i can already say that Silk Mandarin made my life so much easier in China; I can already make myself clear when going grocery shopping or when ordering food in a restaurant

If i had to do this again, for sure i will do it exactly the same.
Thanks for giving me the oppportunity to learn your beautiful language Silk Mandarin!

Perle

A wonderful experience !

As I was looking for good intensive mandarin courses, a friend recommended me this school. And boy, was I not amazed by the quality of the teachings and the atmosphere ?

I even recommended it to other people after two weeks.

The way it is teached is perfect to learn quickly in a fun way.

Currently living in China, I could tell my chinese improved considerably in a really short period of time (almost two months).

Everyone is really nice, and warm, and the school is also ideally located.

Long story short, I definitely recommend this school and its teachers !

Julia

Silk Mandarin makes my time in China so much better!

你好,

I have no bad word about this language school. The office building is very clean and new, unlimited coffee, tea and water (sometimes we even get food like Tony Chocolonely and fruit mmm), very warming atmosphere, profesionnal, kind and patient teachers and very good study material (love the magic pen and flashcards, it helps you a lot and it's a fun way to learn Mandarin). My teacher Jessica is absolutely sweet to her students! Her lessons are very efficient and fun. I don't regret my choice at all. Two friends of mine took lessons here before me and recommended it to me. I recommended it to my exchange group and now there are 8 students from my group at Silk Mandarin and everyone is very satisfied. I would like to say a huuuge 谢谢 .

Nat

Choosing to study at Silk Mandarin has been the best decision for me, to take my Chinese to the next level!

Before taking a course here, my study of Mandarin was all over the place…….I couldn’t grasp the Chinese grammar or sentence structure let alone feel confident to even speak a few words. Even at a basic level, my Chinese plateaued and didn’t feel like I was improving. I chose to enrol in the intensive Summer Camp course and this has provided me with a solid foundation to move up to the higher levels. The atmosphere is always welcoming, the teachers are so patient, they make the classes fun and the system used here has completely fast-tracked my learning. Thank you everyone at Silk Mandarin, see you all next year!!

Johanne

Great Chinese language school:)

I have been with Silk Mandarin for over two years now and can highly recommend it to anyone who wish to develop their Chinese skills while having a full time job! I do the part-time course, which means I have classes twice a week in the evening after work, which is perfect. No matter how busy a day I have had I am always looking forward to go to classes. One of the reasons for this is definitely because of the warmly atmosphere of the school, which allow you to get a great relationship with both the teachers and your fellow classmates. I have also taken a semester at university studying Chinese, but find Silk Mandarin school a much more personal, flexible and professional place to study.

Jonas

Memorable Experience at Silk Mandarin

A friend of mine, who studied at Silk Mandarin before, highly recommended me this school when I told her that I want to learn madarin. I got in touch with Amy who promptly replied to my inquiry and helped me so well with finding the right course and accommodation. Furthermore, she helped me a lot with a VISA issue I had and smoothly coordinated the airport pick up in Shanghai.
When I arrived at the school (which is located on the 6th floor of a top modern skyscraper) l was warmly welcomed by everyone and amazed by the very clean and well equipped school.
I had 80 hours of 1 ON 1 private lessons with Andy who is honestly the best language teacher I've ever had (I've studied 4 languages before). With her you can laugh and learn a lot at the same time. Especially when you have difficulties to learn the Chinese characters, she can always make up a story how to remember them.
In general, everyone at the school encourages you all the time to speak mandarin as much as possible. There are even talking corners during the week where teachers and students meet to practice their speaking, and this all for free! Every Friday there is a freetime activity where the school organizes something such as pottery class, mahjong or a chinese food tasing.

I want to thank the whole Silk Mandarin Team for such an unforgettable time I had with you. I will recommend you to anyone out there who wants to learn Mandarin in a fun and very efficient way.

About Silk Mandarin - Language Training Institute

At Silk Mandarin you will learn Mandarin effortlessly! Our ground-breaking SLOW MOTION TECHNIQUE paves the way, as it teaches you Mandarin with just ONE rule instead of dozens. Which student wouldn’t like that? A wide variety of incredible teaching...