Study Japanese in Fukuoka, Japan with Meiji Academy

Beach party with our Meiji Students!
Beach party with our Meiji Students!
Enjoy traditional Japanese activities with Meiji Academy!
Enjoy traditional Japanese activities with Meiji Academy!
Tea Ceremony
Tea Ceremony
Hanami Festivities with our Meiji Students
Hanami Festivities with our Meiji Students
Karaoke with Meiji Students
Karaoke with Meiji Students
Hakata Gion Yamakasa Festival with our Meiji Students
Hakata Gion Yamakasa Festival with our Meiji Students
Students learning about traditional Japanese culture!
Students learning about traditional Japanese culture!

Meiji Academy provides high standard beginner to advanced level Japanese language courses. You can choose from a wide variety of classes to create a study schedule that fits your needs and interests.

Choose courses like Standard Japanese, Intensive Japanese, Japanese Business, Pop Culture, or Traditional Culture and add additional private or Kanji classes, if you want. You create your own personal study schedule! With a very strong focus on conversation, each class accommodates up to six students, so that each and every student gets the attention they need.

After class, you will have time to join various social events and explore the sunny port city of Fukuoka! As a low-key city, Fukuoka is the perfect place to study Japanese as you experience the Japanese way of life together with your new friends. Meiji Academy and Fukuoka are your gateways into Japan - Adventure awaits!

• Learn Japanese in small classes and take private lessons from dedicated teachers!
  • Find new friends from all over the world and discover everything Fukuoka has to offer!
  • Experience the Japanese way of life, choosing between a Japanese host family, an international share house, or your own apartment!
  • Learn business Japanese from teachers who have in-depth knowledge about the Japanese business world!
  • Take part in social events and day trips all over Kyushu, the Southern island of Japan!

• Instruction 9.5
Kim

I went, I saw, I conquered the Japanese language!

In a world that is becoming increasingly globalised, it would be a crime to pass up an opportunity to go abroad. At the international office in my university, I learnt that I could spend a semester in Japan and gain credits over there. But I would need Japanese N5 for that. Therefore, I decided to attend a language school to learn Japanese in the most efficient way possible + on site! I got to Meiji Academy knowing hiragana and katakana and left with Japanese N5 level, ready to take on the JLPT. I was able to reach all the goals I had set before coming to Japan and what more could I ask for? I learnt as much Japanese as I needed to learn and visited all the places I had on my bucket list. Cause Fukuoka has many cool places such as Itoshima, Nanzoin, Dazaifu, and all of Kyushu is worth a visit (especially Miyazaki and Beppu!). You will have plenty of time to explore Japan during your study abroad with Meiji Academy. But remember to go back to your books every other day and don’t get too distracted. After all you came to Japan to study Japanese, so work for it. It will be totally worth it!

Ximena

Meiji Academy

My biggest concern with applying to the program was the size of the classes and that it would be an all-American program. If I happen to be the only student in my class, would I make any friends? I did happen to be the only student in my class for two weeks until some others arrived. But I made SO many friends. Meiji does not only offer Japanese language classes, but has incredible teachers, unlimited support, and the most amazing people.

My course of choice was Japanese Business. I am very interested in cultural peculiarities and Japan has always fascinated me. It appears to be so different from most other countries. Also, I am considering returning to Japan for either an internship or a working holiday, so I couldn’t go wrong with knowing some basic skills and knowledge. The course gives you a solid overview of business manners, dining etiquette, and teaches you something some people fear when doing business in Japan: Keigo! However, at Meiji, they teach it in a fun way! It might be hard, but it leaves the best impression if you can approach business partners using Keigo, believe me! It is a whole different level of impressive!

Anyone who wants to learn Japanese, you will not regret going with Meiji Academy!

Thijs

Traditional Culture Immersion

My time at Meiji Academy was absolutely great. Let’s be realistic: It takes a lot of work to learn a new language. The teachers and staff genuinely care about you and beautifully accommodate you. Most of them make classes entertaining, which, as I know from experience, takes a lot of effort! Because the classes are rather small, it is very easy to ask questions at all times. Very helpful. Classes are Monday through Friday. I had Japanese classes in the morning and traditional culture on 3 afternoons/week. For me, it was the perfect mix as I could study hard in the morning and have fun in the afternoon. The activities were always great fun and pretty well planned out.

I decided to go for the Traditional Culture Course because I wanted to have a look at the “real“ ancient Japan. I took part in Ikebana, a tea ceremony, wore a Yukata and visited Dazaifu-Tenmangu. During my stay in Fukuoka, I learned a lot more about Japan, its history and traditions. more than any textbook could possibly teach me!

Ann-Kathrin

4 weeks in Fukuoka

I applied for the classes a little last minute, but Meiji got back to me very quickly. The process of signing up for a class, finding a host family and joining weekend activities were all handled very fell during my stay in Japan. Meiji Academy was easy to get in contact with and they were very accommodating and helpful.
I genuinely love every part of my study-abroad experience in Fukuoka. Out of all the things I did, my favourite part was learning Japanese directly while speaking with my host family. They really shaped my experience to be as great as it was by opening their home to me and making me feel like a family member. I literally cried when I had to say goodbye to them, that’s how close we had gotten.
My goal was to improve my Japanese skills over my summer holidays to be ready for a work&travel year in Japan next year. I think I have a solid basis now and will continue practising as I get home. As soon as I get back to Japan, I will surely visit them all (Meiji & my host family) again! I am looking forward to it!*-*

Gina

Studying Japanese with Meiji Academy

I took the Business Japanese course for two weeks. One thing that I would advise everyone to do is: Ask all the questions! You want to go to Fukuoka Tower on the weekend, but there is no info on a tour going there? ASK! You want to attend a business meeting, but nobody informed you of any events in your area? ASK! You want to practice Japanese in your free-time, but there are no language exchanges listed on Meiji’s event board? ASK!
Meiji already offers loads of cool things to do apart from studying, but through asking the staff for recommendations, I got so much more out of my experience in Fukuoka. I even attended some craaazy business events. They are very different from what I am used to in the US.
If you want to practice Japanese and have an awesome time, definitely check out Meiji Academy!

Harrison

Best Japanese School in Japan!

My 7-weeks at Meiji Academy flew by! I loved the classes, the people, the learning environment, and my share house. I can highly recommend it to anyone who would like to learn Japanese in a chill environment. Classes have a great balance between speaking, listening, and grammar. My weakest point has always been speaking so I was excited to gain the confidence to communicate with Japanese people by the end of my stay.
I stayed in a Share House and thoroughly enjoyed it. We often hang out in the communal area, studied or cooked together, talked or played cards.
Join the activities that Meiji offers after class! Fukuoka has so much to offer, and you really don’t want to waste your time watching Netflix!
During my stay, I fell in love with Japan and didn’t want to leave. Hopefully, I can return soon and pick up where I left off!

Talk to everyone! It is so easy to meet new people in Fukuoka and it is great to practice your Japanese!
Freya

Again at any time! See you next Summer :)

Going abroad to Meiji Academy and to Fukuoka was a wonderful choice. The staff and teachers are amazing and they really care about each student. I felt like being at home thanks to their very friendly and accommodating service, helping me with all my queries. I feel like I could learn an extreme amount while still being able to keep up. Japan is amazingly exciting and the people are always down to help you. I would love to return! I thoroughly enjoyed my classes and the services that Meiji Academy offers. Along the way, I have made many awesome friends and we have already made plans to meet up when we are back in Europe. Meiji Academy truly helped me build an amazing experience that has strengthened my language skills, interpersonal skills and confidence - They are my best recommendation if you want to study in a friendly environment and experience Japan's culture outside of major cities like Tokyo or Osaka.

Romain

A great experience in Fukuoka

I studied Japanese (Standard Course and some Kanji lessons) at Meiji Academy for 6 weeks during summer. I have had two different teachers, both who were very professional, fun, and experienced. The school is very centrally located and the atmosphere is always positive and relaxed.
Meiji Academy provides you with a lot of information and help and often holds (cultural) events or activities, both in Tenjin and around Fukuoka. I joined them as often as I could and it was always great fun.
I would definitely recommend this school to anyone who wants to learn Japanese. It was fun, educational and an overall exciting experience. I learnt a lot while attending the Japanese classes and met many wonderful people along the way.
Thanks Meiji for the great memories!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Chicken heart, cow tongue, horse meat (and much much more)

About Meiji Academy

Meiji Academy is an independent educational institution offering a variety of Japanese language and culture classes to make sure students can study in a way that is efficient and fun! The standard courses offer 20 classes per week. Classroom lectures...