Study Japanese in Fukuoka, Japan with Meiji Academy

Students learning about traditional Japanese culture!
Students learning about traditional Japanese culture!
Beach party with our Meiji Students!
Beach party with our Meiji Students!
Tea Ceremony
Tea Ceremony
Enjoy traditional Japanese activities with Meiji Academy!
Enjoy traditional Japanese activities with Meiji Academy!
Karaoke with Meiji Students
Karaoke with Meiji Students
Hanami Festivities with our Meiji Students
Hanami Festivities with our Meiji Students
Hakata Gion Yamakasa Festival with our Meiji Students
Hakata Gion Yamakasa Festival with our Meiji Students

Meiji Academy provides high standard beginner to advanced level Japanese language courses. You can choose from a wide variety of classes to create a study schedule that fits your needs and interests.

Choose courses like Standard Japanese, Intensive Japanese, Japanese Business, Pop Culture, or Traditional Culture and add additional private or Kanji classes, if you want. You create your own personal study schedule! With a very strong focus on conversation, each class accommodates up to six students, so that each and every student gets the attention they need.

After class, you will have time to join various social events and explore the sunny port city of Fukuoka! As a low-key city, Fukuoka is the perfect place to study Japanese as you experience the Japanese way of life together with your new friends. Meiji Academy and Fukuoka are your gateways into Japan - Adventure awaits!

• Learn Japanese in small classes and take private lessons from dedicated teachers!
  • Find new friends from all over the world and discover everything Fukuoka has to offer!
  • Experience the Japanese way of life, choosing between a Japanese host family, an international share house, or your own apartment!
  • Learn business Japanese from teachers who have in-depth knowledge about the Japanese business world!
  • Take part in social events and day trips all over Kyushu, the Southern island of Japan!

• Instruction 9.6
Francisco

Memories and knowledge that will last a lifetime

As a future Language Teacher, I consider making the right choice when it comes to language schools immensely important, and thankfully I can say I made the right decision with Meiji Academy.

During my 5 month stay in Japan, Meiji, their staff, and the friends I made through it were present in every moment. Whether it was a Takoyaki Party, a beach trip, or just going to class, it always felt like I was surrounded by family. It was through this school that I was able to become friends with some of the most incredible people from all over the globe, and the institution made sure to always have things planned so that we could have fun and get immersed in the culture and the language, never did a week just pass by without Meiji offering their students interesting activities to participate in before or after classes.

The teachers at Meiji are warm-hearted people who really wish to see you improve, and take into consideration your personal needs and help you reach your language goals. They are also interested in the students' countries and cultures, and use the always-present diversity to make the classes more fun. Moreover, you can see the teachers stay for quite some time after class, writing very specific information about your progress, so that the other teachers can use that as a reference to plan more efficient and personalized lessons each day. In my time at Meiji, I went from having barely passed the JLPT N5 in 2018, to passing N3 in 2019 with a very decent score, and I cannot stress enough how happy I am with my progress, since I consider myself a slow learner.

Personally, I went with the Share House option for housing, which is where some of my coolest memories took place and where I met a lot of my closest friends. If you are someone who enjoys being around other people no matter what their cultural background is, I would totally recommend you try it. However, I got to meet people who chose a different housing option and still managed to become close with many of them, so really you won't be missing out on the fun if you decide to go for an apartment or to stay with a host family.

The people working and attending Meiji Academy make the school shine and feel like you belong there, and I can assure you that Fukuoka will feel like a second home. I learned a lot about Japan, and every day became an adventure full of discoveries, and that was all, in great part, thanks to Meiji.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Considering I stayed for 5 months I can now say that I would choose two different accomodations. Meeting new people is really nice, but sometimes I wished I had more privacy, or that I could use the kitchen at any time I wanted to. Also, the Share House got really hot during summer, since it only had AC in the kitchen.
Kristen

Amazing time in Japan!

The teachers were always very kind and patient with us, so the atmosphere was really good and we could learn Japanese smoothly. I made very good friends there, and we lived together in the sharehouse. We had a lot of fun during the activities that Meiji organized for us.
Fukuoka is a nice city to hang out. Here are some places I recommend: The teamlab exhibition next to the Fukuoka castle (I'm not sure until when it lasts, but you can check back with the teachers at Meiji), Canal City Hakata (good place for shopping, with nice water shows), the Tochoji temple (with a Buddha statue inside, it's very impressive!)...
You can definitely explore the city every day and never get bored. When I had free time I used to go for a walk in the Gion area (where I found the Tochoji temple!) and I always came by new places. If you do that, make sure to go before 5 pm, because a lot of shops and temples are closed after that.

Lora

Winter vibes in Fukuoka

It was my first time traveling to Japan in winter, and Fukuoka was really charming. I was surprised because the weather was still quite warm (I mean, compared to Germany!). The classes were very interesting, as well as the activities! There are so many things to do and places to go in Japan at this period. The Fukuoka Christmas Market was a nice place to go after the classes, with the other students. I found a bit of German spirit there, and it takes literally 3 minutes to go there from school.
But my favorite activity to do in Japan when it's getting cold outside: onsen!! With the friends I made at Meiji, we even went on a weekend trip to Oita (it's famous for the onsen villages) and it was one of the best weekends of my life!
I spent a month at Meiji, and I loved it!

Ashley

Taking classes at Meiji Academy

Studying at Meiji Academy was fun and I would do it all over again without hesitation! I was always looking forward to my next class to learn more and more about this beautiful language. The teachers were really competent and listened to each of our questions, so it was easy to assimilate the new grammar rules and vocabulary! Plus, they used magazines, auto records and so on, and we just had to go out to find an opportunity to use our newly studied grammar forms. We never had time to get bored as the staff was regularly organizing fun activities outside. It was a very good experience and I'm lucky to have found such a good language school!

Hannah

Mastering Japanese under the sun🌴

I have to say that I wasn't expecting that! My Japanese improved tremendously. I've taken some classes in London, and at that time I found it so difficult! But the study environment at Meiji Academy and their methodology surprised me in a good way. I could understand everything and as the classes are very small (we were never more than 4 students in the same class), the teachers could focus on everybody.

I have compared with other Language schools before applying and there were several reasons why I chose Meiji.
1. Their correspondence by email is always quick, friendly and informative.
2. Their support was outstanding from the time I applied to the day I graduated.
3. I read and heard positive feedback from other reviews and friends who have studied here in the past.
4. Their packages are fully customisable.

If you are looking for improving your Japanese skills while having fun and discovering the beautiful nature spots in Kyushu... then Meiji is your choice!

Julian

Amazing opportunity

I had a blast at Meiji Academy! This was my first language school and I'm now more motivated than ever to continue studying Japanese on my own. They gave me clues for learning Japanese efficiently so I am confident to keep going alone. Being directly in contact with Japanese teachers, staff, and volunteers helped me stop being shy and afraid to make mistakes. Before I was always like "Huh, I need to get the perfect sentence before saying it" but I realized mistakes ARE the way to achievement! Everyone there is so nice and understanding, you can't be in better hands. The best is to ask if you have any questions about the program, the classes, the accommodation... they paid attention to every student so that we could feel at home.
Big hug Meiji!!

Federica

I had a great and constructive experience in Meiji Academy, Fukuoka. My 4 weeks were very intense and productive. The methodology for learning Japanese was very useful to me, through classes in mini-groups. I met new and good friends. Meiji Academy has a way of collecting great people who come from many different countries and are very friendly and kind to each other. We all enjoyed the classes, so all awkward moments of the first day passed by quickly.
I thank and greet to my teachers, their dedication was very important for my learning, I appreciate them very much. They also placed a lot of value on my skill development which I think makes Meiji Academy different than the other language schools
Fukuoka is a wonderful city, and the local festivals are a lot of fun to attend. I would enjoy coming back.
Love from Italy,
Federica

Kathy

Japanese can be fun!

I enrolled in Meiji Academy’s program to prepare for the JLPT N2. It was a great experience. My sensei was top notch. She was patient while teaching us and going over tricky pronunciation. She also created many creative ways for us to interact in Japanese in the classroom. Before I had only studied Japanese with private tutors because my parents wanted me to learn it. At Meiji Academy, for the first time, studying Japanese was fun! They often arranged language exchanges. Not the static kind where you are paired with another person and have to speak about boring topics, but rather fun games and conversations in bars or at the school over takoyaki!
Meiji Academy knows how to teach! The teachers are great at planning their classes and the staff arranges fun ways to practice Japanese outside the classroom. I genuinely looked forward to my classes every day. ありがとうございました!

Beata

I recommend share house

Let's go straight to the point;)

Teachers: I couldn't have dreamed of better ones, skilled and very kind! I mostly was the only person in my class.
In general, whole Meiji staff works very hard and was very kind and helpfull with every single matter.

Accomodation: for the first three days we did not have a shower and the school did not organised different place to stay we got some money to use public bath or we could have money back for this week and find different place but we were informed to late to get not very expensive one. But shower is fixed now so don't worry;)

Share house approx:40min by walk from school and by public transport is NOT faster. I really liked the neighborhood and i would highly reccomend if you dont mind to have a bit of walk, i liked there more than i would have the city centre. So it is a good opportunity to see part of the city, away from the busy roads and there is nice forest and viewing ponts near by,

But the most important I LOVE MY HOUSEMATES!:D even so the house itself is not extremely clean but it is spacious and has balcony.That was best possible choice as I could meet amazing people.

Activities: Ok, we went out for meals, karaoke, tea ceremony or language exchange. There were trips organised as well.

Basti

Highly recommended!

Before coming to Fukuoka, I had studied Japanese for a year at a language school in Germany. It does not compare! I had some one-on-one classes and 3 different teachers throughout my stay at the Academy. When you have small classes and can get one-on-one attention, you can have it exactly as you want it! Concentrate on whatever aspect of Japanese (grammar, conversation, Kanji) you need to be focusing on!
I liked having 3 different teachers because they focused on different aspects and gave me different input/feedback.
I also stayed in a homestay with a lovely family with two small kids. Highly recommendable experience, especially to practise Japanese!

The staff and support are phenomenal as well! On your first day, there is an orientation with everything you need to know to get around in Fukuoka. And during my stay, they arranged many fun activities where I could make friends with internationals as well as Japanese. Although it might seem like a small city to you (by Japanese standards), it never gets boring in Fukuoka! Language Exchanges, International BBQs, Parties, out-of-town roadtrips… there is always something fun to do! Just ask around and talk to people and the Meiji staff! That way you will have the best experience!

Olivia

Japanese Course

I found Meiji Academy through Google and after reading up on their services decided to apply for Japanese classes. Now I can say that it was a very good choice! I took the Standard course 20 (per lessons per week) and for me, it was a very good plan as I also had some free time for exploring Fukuoka and time to study on my own. The groups of students were very small; different ages and different nationalities. The teachers are very interested in the progress of everyone at the class and explain everything in great detail. Different methods are used, both interactive and textbook-focused. I should say that we were moving pretty fast, a little too fast for my taste. I told my teacher and the next day, he slowed down the class pace for me. The school is centrally located, in the heart of Tenjin. They also organise activities after class, for example, going for karaoke, language exchanges, or cultural activities. So we also had the chance to meet local uni students and students from other language schools. My stay at Meiji Academy has left me buzzing; excited to continue studying Japanese!

Ellie

Marvelous time!

My experience at Meiji Academy surpassed my expectations. Not only was the team at the school able to masterfully place each student in a class based on an accurate skill level assessment, but the classes were small and felt personal. All led by instructors who genuinely care about your skill development. I cannot quite recall my teacher’s name, but his lessons and attention to detail have truly helped me become a more proficient Japanese speaker.

I found that my classmates as well as all others in the school were highly motivated- not just regarding the classes, but also to explore the area and learn about the culture. We often went on trips around Fukuoka and explored most of Kyushu together. It was a great time and I will cherish the memories forever!

Kyle

Check it out!

As mentioned before, this is not just a great place to learn Japanese. This school also allows you to learn more about Japan and its culture. The location of the school is great as well, it is easy to get there using public transport.
I stayed for 4 weeks. The atmosphere is very nice and the staff is always friendly and happy to help with all sorts of questions. Being a student at this school, you will feel at home in no time! I had an amazing time here!

The school offers a variety of cultural and social activities. From what I have seen, the same event or trip is rarely held twice in a row and something special is on every week. The activities I joined were fun and taught me a great deal about Fukuoka.

The combination of getting to know the culture and learning Japanese makes this school great. You should check it out!

The housing could be improved a little. It was unclear what we should bring and what would be provided.
Kim

I went, I saw, I conquered the Japanese language!

In a world that is becoming increasingly globalised, it would be a crime to pass up an opportunity to go abroad. At the international office in my university, I learnt that I could spend a semester in Japan and gain credits over there. But I would need Japanese N5 for that. Therefore, I decided to attend a language school to learn Japanese in the most efficient way possible + on site! I got to Meiji Academy knowing hiragana and katakana and left with Japanese N5 level, ready to take on the JLPT. I was able to reach all the goals I had set before coming to Japan and what more could I ask for? I learnt as much Japanese as I needed to learn and visited all the places I had on my bucket list. Cause Fukuoka has many cool places such as Itoshima, Nanzoin, Dazaifu, and all of Kyushu is worth a visit (especially Miyazaki and Beppu!). You will have plenty of time to explore Japan during your study abroad with Meiji Academy. But remember to go back to your books every other day and don’t get too distracted. After all you came to Japan to study Japanese, so work for it. It will be totally worth it!

Ximena

Meiji Academy

My biggest concern with applying to the program was the size of the classes and that it would be an all-American program. If I happen to be the only student in my class, would I make any friends? I did happen to be the only student in my class for two weeks until some others arrived. But I made SO many friends. Meiji does not only offer Japanese language classes, but has incredible teachers, unlimited support, and the most amazing people.

My course of choice was Japanese Business. I am very interested in cultural peculiarities and Japan has always fascinated me. It appears to be so different from most other countries. Also, I am considering returning to Japan for either an internship or a working holiday, so I couldn’t go wrong with knowing some basic skills and knowledge. The course gives you a solid overview of business manners, dining etiquette, and teaches you something some people fear when doing business in Japan: Keigo! However, at Meiji, they teach it in a fun way! It might be hard, but it leaves the best impression if you can approach business partners using Keigo, believe me! It is a whole different level of impressive!

Anyone who wants to learn Japanese, you will not regret going with Meiji Academy!