Sol Education Abroad: Study Abroad in Argentina

Study abroad with Sol Education Abroad in the most fascinating country in South America. Argentina is home to landscapes ranging from the wild and remote Patagonia in the south to the lively, legendary city of Buenos Aires to the north. With such varied landscapes and cultural influences, Argentina promises a rich experience for studying abroad. The SOL program is in Buenos Aires, one of the most beautiful cities in all of Latin America due to its vibrant culture and heavy European influence. Wander the bustling streets and grand avenues of the city and then explore the numerous historic neighborhoods. This is the perfect setting to practice Spanish and take your studies outside of the classroom.

• Highly rated homestays
  • Included excursions and cultural activities
  • High-level academic advising and assistance
  • Attentive and dedicated onsite directors
  • Very personable and inclusive program

Elysia

Amazing Immersion

Sol's summer healthcare course in Buenos Aires is absolutely incredible! Staying with a host family is an amazing way to get immersed in the culture, as is attending all of the scheduled activities. Raul and Rodrigo take you to so many cool sights and are so supportive; not only teaching you how to navigate the city so that you feel confident commuting and exploring alone, but supporting you as you improve your spanish, meeting you at whatever level you are at, answering all of your questions and giving you tips. Go to all the Mate Club meetings that you can! They are a great way to practice the language, enjoy local cultural and meet cool portenos! And the medical shadowing was an absolutely priceless experience. For any pre-health students, the opportunity to see socialized medicin up close and personal and shadow so many different types of doctors and medical professionals, all while practicing your spanish, is simply unbeatable. Be sure to ask the doctors as many questions as you can think of! You would be surprised what you will learn.

Colton

A Dream Come True!

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina with SOL Education Abroad will always be one of the greatest experiences of my life. Not only did I greatly improve my fluency in the language through real-life immersion both in and out of the classroom, I was also able to begin "globe-trotting" on my own for the first time through
solo trips throughout the Southern Cone, which really helped me find myself and reflect on the natural and cultural beauty of that area of the world. Without the continual support my spectacular directors, Raul and Beatriz, especially during emotionally difficult processes (such as changing host families), I would not have had such an incredible experience in Argentina. Thank you so much again to all the staff at SOL who all worked to provide me with the semester of a lifetime! :)

Jordan

Buenos Aires, 2018

This summer I traveled to Buenos Aires, Argentina with Sol Abroad and completed the healthcare program. In this program, I completed one Spanish course, one medical Spanish terminology course, and had the opportunity to shadow doctors at both public and private hospitals in Argentina. This was my fourth trip with Sol Abroad (with this program I have also been to Oaxaca, Costa Rica and Spain). In all honesty, I didn't think it would be possible to have a better trip than my trip to Granada, Spain, in 2017. I was wrong. Buenos Aires was by far the best six weeks of my life. The locals are all so friendly and engaging (they are all so intrigued by English-speakers), the culture is so vast and beautiful with people from Argentina, Italy, Venezuela, Colombia and more! The public transportation system is phenomenal and the night-life was so much fun. The people I met and my host mom made this an incredible journey I will never forget.

Kaylee

Studying abroad is the best thing you could do for yourself!

Going abroad to Buenos Aires, Argentina with SOL Education Abroad was a breeze. SOL helped me through anything I needed! They helped with the pre-departure process, any questions I may have while in Buenos Aires, and they even helped me once I arrived home! Being in Buenos Aires opened my mind to the world of possibilities! I now plan to study abroad to Spain and Costa Rica with SOL because they help you learn about a new language and a new culture.

There isn't anything to improve! SOL does an amazing job!!
Megan

Megan Meehan’s Review

This was my first time studying abroad and so many emotions came with that. I was nervous, excited, and even a little scared at first. However, this experience even only being two weeks is something I will always hold close to my heart. This experience was not a vacation for me but the oppertunity to experience another culture. This program allowed me to appreciate a culture different then my own, people who are different then me but who I came to love, and how big and beautiful the world and it’s truly differences are. Thank you for this opportunity!

I don’t think there is a lot that can be improved as I thought all this program offered was great! However even though I was only here for two weeks I had a hard one getting to know the other Solmates.
Jiaxuan

Review

Both of my teacher and my host mom does not speak English, which was kind of painful but was really helpful. The teachers there were nice and patient. They understand that students have severe language barriers so they tried to explain in different ways in Spanish to make sure we understand it.

The directors of Sol also arranged a variety of cultural trips around the city, outside of the city and even outside of the country. One of the directors graduated with a tourism degree. So through him and the other guides we had, I now know a lot about the culture and history of Argentina!

Dan

Solmates

Great experience! The program directors did an awesome job planning our trip and I enjoyed every moment! I really enjoyed the opportunity to participate in service projects in-country. Raúl, Beatriz, and Kevin did a great job making sure we had a fun time and got to experience the country. Traveling with Sol was a fantastic introduction to international travel and I look forward to my next trip abroad.

Jerry

Buenos Aires

I traveled to BA with SOL after studying abroad in Costa Rica and Oaxaca. I loved the city of Buenos Aires. I liked the porteños, also. I enjoyed Academia Buenos Aires more than the universities in Costa Rica and Oaxaca. They have a teaching style that is very effective and unmatched by the other universities including my home university. I was there for an intense 2 week course and that is probably the reason that I didn't get to see much of the city other than what I saw while walking to and from school. I felt safe in BA even at night with the exception of a cultural dinner that was held in the same area and at the same time that an anti-U. S. protest was taking place. I was surprised that the event was not cancelled after the State Department issued a warning. I look forward to returning to BA someday for vacation. I felt that the cultural excursions could use an upgrade. They did not measure up to the ones in Costa Rica and Oaxaca.

I think a stronger effort should be made to provide cultural activities and historical sites for the students. A museum in honor of Argentina's own son, El "Che" Guevara would be nice. He is a very important historical icon in Cuba. Also, in Costa Rica and Oaxaca, the SOL staff would communicate with the students daily to make sure everything is going okay and they would meet the students at the school and go together for the excursions. The BA program can be greatly improved by doing the same. The subway system in BA is complicated and a staff member should go with the students to get their card and show them how it works....not tell them and send them out alone. Other than those things, it's a great program!
Kyle

If you're studying abroad, do it with SOL in Buenos Aires

The Spanish immersion program through SOL Education in Buenos Aires, Argentina is hands-down the best experience I've had in my undergraduate career. The city is amazing with lots of things to do during the day and at night, the classes are very welcoming and really help with learning the language, and the staff (Raul, Kevin, and Beatriz) is top notch in providing a meaningful experience to every student. You are never bored as there is always either an activity planned or things that you can do that they recommend. The host families are also very welcoming as well and really make you feel like you are a true porteño!

Kevin

A Time in Argentina

I enjoyed my time in Argentina immensely. I was able to take great classes with a great professor. I came in with an intermediate to advanced level of Spanish already, so my review might be a bit different from another's experience. However, I had never taken a college-level Spanish class before. Now that I am back at my university, SOL's classes actually taught me more than advertised (this might have also been because our class at SOL went a bit beyond the book for our level).

I had a great homestay experience, and SOL was really helpful in finding us places during the holidays especially.

Here are some things that SOL did not have control over, but that people should know.

Future participants should know that if they are also a racial/ethnic minority, they will have a different experience, too. I am Asian-American, and this did affect my experience. When I would travel to places later in the day or in the evening, sometimes with friends, and I would hear people saying racial slurs about me. I knew it was about me because I was the only Asian on the metro platform, for instance. However, Buenos Aires also has a Chinatown and Korean neighborhood, so there are places where support can be found.

Really, take the time to explore Buenos Aires' various communities. Some of my favorite memories were meeting Armenian, Chinese, and Venezuelan immigrants in Buenos Aires. Some might say that Argentina is not really Latin America, but its history of immigration, treatment of the indigenous, and cultural mixing demonstrate how it is a New World country.

I would have liked more meetups with people our age in Argentina, but I was still able to meet peers.
Erika

STUDY ABROAD IN ARGENTINA!

Buenos Aires is a beautiful city full of culture! I did a 3 week program with SOL from late December to mid January. It´s summer time in Argentina, so the weather was very warm! I loved living with a host family and doing all of the included cultural activities with SOL! Raul, Kevin, and Beatriz were so helpful and knowledgeable of this beautiful city! My eyes were opened to a whole new culture (and accent) when I studied abroad in Argentina! I made some amazing friends and memories. Some of my favorite memories were visiting Colonia, Uruguay and La Boca. I also loved El Cementerio in Recoleta. If you choose to do this program, bring lots of spending money because there are amazing markets (ferías) every weekend in Palermo, Recoleta, and San Telmo! Not only did my Spanish skills improve, but also my navigation skills!

One of my favorite days was visiting Colonia, Uruguay because we got out of the big city. I think it would be great if there was at least one more day or cultural activity that showed life outside of the big city of Buenos Aires. A group of my friends and I went kayaking in San Isidro and that was another great experience to be in touch with nature more! Make use of all of your free time! Search the best things to do and DO THEM!
Mackenze

First Study Abroad Experience

Studying abroad with Sol was one of the best decisions I have ever made. My program director and SOLmates were all great people. Living with a host mom was also an incredible experience. My host mom was not only a good cook but also an intresting person to talk to. She made living in Argentina feel like home. This program is not only one of the most inexpensive but provides better trips than other programs.

Brook

Successful Study Abroad with Sol Education Abroad

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina was an experience that will forever change my life. Not only did I gain invaluable knowledge from the schools, society, and home that I was apart of, but I gained valuable friendships along the way that will last me a lifetime. Studying abroad has opened my eyes to how accessible the world is to us if we truly believe in a cause and a passion to send us to other places around the world. My friendships formed in Argentina will forever be a reminder as to how strong and heartfelt connections can be made around the world and that in every new place you visit, you pick up a new part of yourself that you never would have known without traveling.

It was amazing as is.
Michael

Loved Argentina

Raul is the Director there and he welcomes you in as if you were family. Argentina is his home and he proudly shows you all the best spots. He even invited us into his home for New Years, during which we were able to see fireworks coming out of almost every yard in view! What a great experience. Plus being immersed helps your Spanish improve immensely.

Other things to note:
-My house mom was wonderful and we are still in touch 5 years later.
-The people I studied abroad with opened up my mind to the world and a few of us just reunited in Austin 5 years later!
-Beautiful country, amazing people, just an overall wonderful experience!

I wish I went for longer!
Marla

Sol abroad Argentina intensive Spanish program

Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina was amazing! Incredible night life, and beautiful diverse parts of the city to explore during the day. I had an awesome host mom, who made the best dinners (gained about 10 pounds, but empanadas are worth it).
My program director, Rual, was not overly helpful. He always posted information last minute with sketchy details. He didn't help people find tutors when struggling in class. Overall disorganized and unhelpful. But Sol education abroad is awesome. Every time I called the office in Texas they took their time to answer me fully and ensure I was all set. The program also had a ton of cultural activities set up for us in Buenos Aires and excursions to great places around the country.

No, I don't recommend this program

About Sol Education Abroad

Sol Education Abroad (SOL) provides affordable study abroad opportunities in Costa Rica, Argentina, Spain, and Mexico. Sol Education Abroad prides itself in providing hands-on service to ensure an enriching experience abroad. It’s this unique...