Sol Education Abroad Study Abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Learn Spanish with Sol Education Abroad in the most fascinating country in South America! Argentina is home to landscapes ranging from the wild and remote Patagonia in the south to the lively, legendary city of Buenos Aires to the north. With such varied landscapes and cultural influences, Argentina promises a rich experience for studying abroad.

Buenos Aires is the most beautiful city in all of Latin America due to its vibrant culture and heavy European influence. Wander the bustling streets and grand avenues of the city and then explore the numerous historic neighborhoods. This is the perfect setting to practice Spanish and take your studies outside of the classroom. Sol Education Abroad understands that students want to learn Spanish quickly and efficiently, without being stuck in a classroom all day. If this sounds good to you, then visit our website to learn more about out study abroad program in Buenos Aires, and let's start learning Spanish together!

Kaylee

Studying abroad is the best thing you could do for yourself!

Going abroad to Buenos Aires, Argentina with SOL Education Abroad was a breeze. SOL helped me through anything I needed! They helped with the pre-departure process, any questions I may have while in Buenos Aires, and they even helped me once I arrived home! Being in Buenos Aires opened my mind to the world of possibilities! I now plan to study abroad to Spain and Costa Rica with SOL because they help you learn about a new language and a new culture.

There isn't anything to improve! SOL does an amazing job!!
Megan

Megan Meehan’s Review

This was my first time studying abroad and so many emotions came with that. I was nervous, excited, and even a little scared at first. However, this experience even only being two weeks is something I will always hold close to my heart. This experience was not a vacation for me but the oppertunity to experience another culture. This program allowed me to appreciate a culture different then my own, people who are different then me but who I came to love, and how big and beautiful the world and it’s truly differences are. Thank you for this opportunity!

I don’t think there is a lot that can be improved as I thought all this program offered was great! However even though I was only here for two weeks I had a hard one getting to know the other Solmates.
Jiaxuan

Review

Both of my teacher and my host mom does not speak English, which was kind of painful but was really helpful. The teachers there were nice and patient. They understand that students have severe language barriers so they tried to explain in different ways in Spanish to make sure we understand it.

The directors of Sol also arranged a variety of cultural trips around the city, outside of the city and even outside of the country. One of the directors graduated with a tourism degree. So through him and the other guides we had, I now know a lot about the culture and history of Argentina!

Dan

Solmates

Great experience! The program directors did an awesome job planning our trip and I enjoyed every moment! I really enjoyed the opportunity to participate in service projects in-country. Raúl, Beatriz, and Kevin did a great job making sure we had a fun time and got to experience the country. Traveling with Sol was a fantastic introduction to international travel and I look forward to my next trip abroad.

Jerry

Buenos Aires

I traveled to BA with SOL after studying abroad in Costa Rica and Oaxaca. I loved the city of Buenos Aires. I liked the porteños, also. I enjoyed Academia Buenos Aires more than the universities in Costa Rica and Oaxaca. They have a teaching style that is very effective and unmatched by the other universities including my home university. I was there for an intense 2 week course and that is probably the reason that I didn't get to see much of the city other than what I saw while walking to and from school. I felt safe in BA even at night with the exception of a cultural dinner that was held in the same area and at the same time that an anti-U. S. protest was taking place. I was surprised that the event was not cancelled after the State Department issued a warning. I look forward to returning to BA someday for vacation. I felt that the cultural excursions could use an upgrade. They did not measure up to the ones in Costa Rica and Oaxaca.

I think a stronger effort should be made to provide cultural activities and historical sites for the students. A museum in honor of Argentina's own son, El "Che" Guevara would be nice. He is a very important historical icon in Cuba. Also, in Costa Rica and Oaxaca, the SOL staff would communicate with the students daily to make sure everything is going okay and they would meet the students at the school and go together for the excursions. The BA program can be greatly improved by doing the same. The subway system in BA is complicated and a staff member should go with the students to get their card and show them how it works....not tell them and send them out alone. Other than those things, it's a great program!
Kyle

If you're studying abroad, do it with SOL in Buenos Aires

The Spanish immersion program through SOL Education in Buenos Aires, Argentina is hands-down the best experience I've had in my undergraduate career. The city is amazing with lots of things to do during the day and at night, the classes are very welcoming and really help with learning the language, and the staff (Raul, Kevin, and Beatriz) is top notch in providing a meaningful experience to every student. You are never bored as there is always either an activity planned or things that you can do that they recommend. The host families are also very welcoming as well and really make you feel like you are a true porteño!

Kevin

A Time in Argentina

I enjoyed my time in Argentina immensely. I was able to take great classes with a great professor. I came in with an intermediate to advanced level of Spanish already, so my review might be a bit different from another's experience. However, I had never taken a college-level Spanish class before. Now that I am back at my university, SOL's classes actually taught me more than advertised (this might have also been because our class at SOL went a bit beyond the book for our level).

I had a great homestay experience, and SOL was really helpful in finding us places during the holidays especially.

Here are some things that SOL did not have control over, but that people should know.

Future participants should know that if they are also a racial/ethnic minority, they will have a different experience, too. I am Asian-American, and this did affect my experience. When I would travel to places later in the day or in the evening, sometimes with friends, and I would hear people saying racial slurs about me. I knew it was about me because I was the only Asian on the metro platform, for instance. However, Buenos Aires also has a Chinatown and Korean neighborhood, so there are places where support can be found.

Really, take the time to explore Buenos Aires' various communities. Some of my favorite memories were meeting Armenian, Chinese, and Venezuelan immigrants in Buenos Aires. Some might say that Argentina is not really Latin America, but its history of immigration, treatment of the indigenous, and cultural mixing demonstrate how it is a New World country.

I would have liked more meetups with people our age in Argentina, but I was still able to meet peers.
Erika

STUDY ABROAD IN ARGENTINA!

Buenos Aires is a beautiful city full of culture! I did a 3 week program with SOL from late December to mid January. It´s summer time in Argentina, so the weather was very warm! I loved living with a host family and doing all of the included cultural activities with SOL! Raul, Kevin, and Beatriz were so helpful and knowledgeable of this beautiful city! My eyes were opened to a whole new culture (and accent) when I studied abroad in Argentina! I made some amazing friends and memories. Some of my favorite memories were visiting Colonia, Uruguay and La Boca. I also loved El Cementerio in Recoleta. If you choose to do this program, bring lots of spending money because there are amazing markets (ferías) every weekend in Palermo, Recoleta, and San Telmo! Not only did my Spanish skills improve, but also my navigation skills!

One of my favorite days was visiting Colonia, Uruguay because we got out of the big city. I think it would be great if there was at least one more day or cultural activity that showed life outside of the big city of Buenos Aires. A group of my friends and I went kayaking in San Isidro and that was another great experience to be in touch with nature more! Make use of all of your free time! Search the best things to do and DO THEM!
Mackenze

First Study Abroad Experience

Studying abroad with Sol was one of the best decisions I have ever made. My program director and SOLmates were all great people. Living with a host mom was also an incredible experience. My host mom was not only a good cook but also an intresting person to talk to. She made living in Argentina feel like home. This program is not only one of the most inexpensive but provides better trips than other programs.

Brook

Successful Study Abroad with Sol Education Abroad

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina was an experience that will forever change my life. Not only did I gain invaluable knowledge from the schools, society, and home that I was apart of, but I gained valuable friendships along the way that will last me a lifetime. Studying abroad has opened my eyes to how accessible the world is to us if we truly believe in a cause and a passion to send us to other places around the world. My friendships formed in Argentina will forever be a reminder as to how strong and heartfelt connections can be made around the world and that in every new place you visit, you pick up a new part of yourself that you never would have known without traveling.

It was amazing as is.
Michael

Loved Argentina

Raul is the Director there and he welcomes you in as if you were family. Argentina is his home and he proudly shows you all the best spots. He even invited us into his home for New Years, during which we were able to see fireworks coming out of almost every yard in view! What a great experience. Plus being immersed helps your Spanish improve immensely.

Other things to note:
-My house mom was wonderful and we are still in touch 5 years later.
-The people I studied abroad with opened up my mind to the world and a few of us just reunited in Austin 5 years later!
-Beautiful country, amazing people, just an overall wonderful experience!

I wish I went for longer!
Marla

Sol abroad Argentina intensive Spanish program

Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina was amazing! Incredible night life, and beautiful diverse parts of the city to explore during the day. I had an awesome host mom, who made the best dinners (gained about 10 pounds, but empanadas are worth it).
My program director, Rual, was not overly helpful. He always posted information last minute with sketchy details. He didn't help people find tutors when struggling in class. Overall disorganized and unhelpful. But Sol education abroad is awesome. Every time I called the office in Texas they took their time to answer me fully and ensure I was all set. The program also had a ton of cultural activities set up for us in Buenos Aires and excursions to great places around the country.

No, I don't recommend
Eric

Buenos Aires, Argentina: the best city in the world

I had one of the greatest days of food, friends and fun in Buenos Aires while traveling with Sol Education Abroad. It started with a morning stroll to a café and a bus ride to school. After a couple classes a few friends and I made the short 15 minute walk to El Barrio Chino (Chinatown) of the Belgrano neighborhood. We spent hours checking out all the cool shops and finished it out with a nice big plate of fresh Chinese food that is some of the best I have ever had due to the high quality of argentine beef used.
Before returning home that day I had a short afternoon study session at a café. After a small dinner and some down time comes the best part of the day. A group of mixed American/Argentine friends got together to have an amazing steak dinner complete with empanadas, wine and sides to share for amazingly cheap, about $15 American per person. As night falls the city really comes alive.
Around 9-10 at night the restaurants start to fill up and all of the bars and clubs prepare themselves. In Argentina nightlife starts at 11 at the earliest. After the amazing dinner our group spent a couple hours chatting and drinking at a bar before heading to the dance club. In Buenos Aires it is customary for college aged people to stay out until the sun comes up which is exactly what we did.
I have never been so content in my whole life going to sleep the next morning around 7am. Still tasting the fantastic steak and exhausted from a night of dancing and laughing left me perfectly poised to drift off to the most restful sleep possible.

I think having some locals that would volunteer or internship with the program would be awesome. There's nothing like true local knowledge for finding the best restaurants, bars and attractions in general, especially when you're new to the city.
Maddie

Argentina: The trip you couldn't even imagine!

key points

The academics of this program were most definitely intensive, we covered more in a day than I would have in a month at school back home, the teachers were there to help, as long as you asked in spanish! :)
My program leader had all of us program his number into our phones immediately when we arrived, and could be at any place at any time if a student needed help. If there was a smaller issue a quick text away was a quick and helpful answer.
I LOVED! my homestay! I will admit at first I wanted my own place when I saw it was an option, I have everyone to thank for not letting me do that! My house mother was the nicest woman ive ever met and was there for me and my three roommates at any given time. Yes, that even means getting spoon fed chicken noodle soup on a sick day off school! The house was in a great location and incredibly comfortable. A home away from home.
I am the pickiest eater of them all, so a 5 star sounds impossible but the food blew my tastebuds away! the home meals, the resturants/local food, and yes even the school food. I never once went a day not feeling completely stuffed.
After living in any city for a month you start to feel integrated, I knew my way around subways and buses and the major neighborhoods of the city by the time I was done! No help necessary. The language barrier was the only reason I couldn't quite ever feel too welcomed. Besides that I now feel as I wouldnt mind living there as a local one day and I could talk about the culture for hours, as it is so different from my own.
One day I felt very sick, feverish and just too weak to get to school. Without even having to notify my housemother who spoke no english, she realized I was not well and kept me in bed all day giving me proper medications after asking if I was allergic to anything. We made the good call to wait until the end of the day to head to the doctor and lucky for me whatever I was given helped enough and I was good to go by the next day with no doctor needed, and my program director and parents were already notified of my illness before I even got the chance to do it myself.
I almost never felt unsafe. I had a safe wonderful trip but the only thing to watch out for was pickpocketers, a couple kids on the trip had items taken in common public places without noticing for a while.
They more than prepared me, the only thing they did not do was tell me how to not be so excited! Not a bad thing at all :)

James

Great experience for my daughter

My gap year daughter's Spanish markedly improved during her one-month class. She was in a very safe neighborhood, and her host, Teresa, was very gracious. There were lots of fun activities planned for the weekends to keep her occupied. Two days before she was due to come home, Calbuco erupted, and her flight on Delta was cancelled. I had to scramble to find her another flight, but was able to get her a flight on the same day she was supposed to leave on Aerolineas. I had great communication with Raul in Buenos Aires, who verified that the Aerolineas flight was leaving as scheduled, got her to the airport safely, and even helped get her packed-to-the-gills suitcase closed.

Maybe more group dining/eating out activities.

About Sol Education Abroad

Sol Education Abroad (SOL) provides affordable study abroad opportunities in Costa Rica, Argentina, Spain, and Mexico. Sol Education Abroad prides itself in providing hands-on service to ensure an enriching experience abroad. It’s this unique...