TEAN: Study Abroad in Brisbane, Australia

Education Abroad Network at Griffith University, Australia
Education Abroad Network at Griffith University, Australia

TEAN is proud to offer three university partners in Brisbane, Australia. Griffith University, The University of Queensland (UQ) and Queensland University of Technology (QUT) are all premier Australian universities offering a wide range of courses that appeal to a variety of students. This cosmopolitan city is home to 1.5 million friendly Australians and is ideally located between the Gold Coast to the south (Australia's playground) and the Sunshine Coast to the north.

Included in the program is a 5-day Orientation Excursion in Cairns where students visit the Great Barrier Reef, organized cultural activities throughout the semester, and an optional Spring Break excursion to Thailand or New Zealand (how amazing does that sound?!).

Discover Australia with TEAN as your guide - check out the TEAN website for more info!

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

Marina

Bloody Ripper!

I loved living in Brisbane because the school was close to the St Lucia apartments, the city was incredibly fun to walk around and explore, and the weather was absolutely perfect every single day. One of my favorite parts about my abroad experience was being able to hop on a train and travel to Byron Bay, Gold Coast, or Noosa Heads because of their close proximity to the city. The housing and the apartments were clean and we never had any issues with safety while we were living there. I loved the feeling of being completely safe and knowing that if there were any issues, anyone was friendly and willing to help. I would definitely choose to go abroad to Brisbane again and I can't wait to experience the Australian culture again! It was one of the best few months of my life.

Some advice to future travelers in Brisbane is to definitely take advantage of all of the fun events and activities that the city counsel throws because that is the best way to be immersed in the culture. Also, always use the translink busses and trains because they are super convenient and easy to navigate!
Graduation
Mariah

University of Queensland, Brisbane

Moving to a foreign country was scary! I am from a small town in New Hampshire and I had never traveled overseas. I was pleasantly surprised to find Brisbane to be a very safe, clean, family-friendly location. The city was easy to navigate and offers so much to do including museums, restaurants, night life, and nature. TEAN helped me learn about all these options that I had. The transition to living on my own in a new country was smooth thanks to them. I always had my resident advisor to contact if anything were to happen, which definitely eases your mind. The University of Queensland has a beautiful campus as well with sandstone buildings and purple flower trees. There were many events held on campus and when I wasn't taking the bus into the city, I could spend time at the gym, walking around campus, or doing homework in the library. I was able to do a lot of traveling as well - to the Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne, the Whitsundays, Cairns, Byron Bay, and Noosa - but in the end, I was very pleased with my choice to make Brisbane my home for a semester.

While TEAN advisors are very knowledgeable about the cities that students move to, I found that my advisor did not know as much about the university that I was attending. I had a lot of questions about signing up for classes and academic advising when I first arrived, so make sure that you read the university's website and emails very carefully and set up a meeting with an academic advisor or member of the university staff early on so that you understand what you're required to do before you begin class.
Marisa

TEAN Study Abroad

Studying abroad through tean was an incredible experience. Through the orientation that tean organizes you are able to meet a lot of the people that will be studying at your university. This was a huge advantage because I was able to have peer support right away while across the world. The staff were very helpful in making sure we were adjusting to life in Australia. Whatever questions or problems I had while abroad they made sure to fix. It was a great opportunity going through tean and would recommend it to anyone.

Tiffany

The Best Semester of my Life!

Because of my experience in Australia through TEAN, I fully believe every student should study abroad at some point in their life. No matter who you are or where you are from, studying abroad changes your perspective of the world and increases your independence and confidence. TEAN did an amazing job at helping me through every single process. From the very beginning such as buying flights and getting my visa up until the very end when I returned home. Every single staff member was amazing. They were always willing to assist me whenever I needed it. Through TEAN, I was able to meet friends that I will have for the rest of my life. I loved the girls I roomed with and our apartment was incredible. Brisbane is an incredible city and I highly recommend studying at the University of Queensland. If you have any nerves or uncertainties before studying abroad I can promise you that you can trust TEAN to make every transition seamless.

Thomas

Unforgettable Experience

I spent 5 months in a country I can now call a second home. The connections I made there will be life-lasting, and I gained so many useful skills whilst I was there. I have a new-found independence that I acquired whilst abroad. I wouldn't change a single thing about my experience, and I am grateful that TEAN provided as much as they did to make the experience what it was. The intercultural experiences and events TEAN provided facilitated personal growth and connection forming, for which I am grateful for.

Caroline

Go Down Under, Mate!

Australia is simply incredible. I had a very memorable 5 months of my college career abroad in Brisbane. The country is breathtaking, the city is lively with endless opportunities for entertainment, and the people are very friendly and laid back. I loved Brisbane in particular; the city is not overwhelming, there is a man-made beach near the center of the city, and the architecture of buildings is modern and attractive. There was a street lined with all different international cuisine about 5 minutes away from my student housing. You can head to the beaches on the Gold Coast just by hopping on the train as well. Or you can explore the central business district and check out the shopping mall and street music. Overall, I felt at home here!

The University of Queensland is beautiful and there are endless places to study on campus or stroll through. My classes were challenging but my professors and tutors were very supportive and helpful. I am glad I chose UQ as it's great reputation holds true!

Most importantly, TEAN helped shape my amazing experience; they are passionate about helping you have the best time abroad and are very knowledgable. TEAN organized the best orientation in Cairns where we went scuba diving and snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef! My RA (from TEAN) also set up fun cultural events throughout the semester to help us integrate to Aussie life. We enjoyed a Brisbane Broncos rugby game and a crocodile show at the famous Steve Irwin Zoo. I always felt like I could reach out to TEAN for travel tips or help in general with school and my living arrangements if I needed to. TEAN helped me learn the more hidden parts of Australian culture and I felt like a local at times as a result!

I cannot think of any improvements--everything was overall great.
Kathryn

Can I Go Back?

I always knew I wanted to study abroad in Australia, and it was an easy decision to do it with TEAN. I had the time of my life abroad! Brisbane is an absolutely beautiful city with wonderful appeal of both a small town and a big city, with features fit for anybody's taste. I would love to return someday to Australia and I'm so glad that TEAN was the program that introduced me to the country. TEAN created a large circle of support for me in my academics and my personal and mental health while abroad, which was a necessity because even though studying abroad is fun, you sometimes need assistance. I wouldn't have wanted to spend my time abroad with any other program and highly recommend the experience.

N/A
Emily

I Loved Brisbane!

Studying abroad was the best decision I ever made! Brisbane has so much to do! I loved going to the city and sampling the different types of food( especially sushi) and walking around the shops! I also loved Brisbane because you could easily head out to the Sunshine Coast (hello, Steve Irwin zoo) or the beautiful Gold Coast. TEAN made my semester even more amazing my taking us to a Rugby game and the Steve Irwin zoo! I loved every minute I spent in Australia and I can't wait to go back one day!

N/A
Lauren

Take Me Back to the Land Down Under

Studying abroad at the University of Queensland with The Education Abroad Network is the best choice I made. TEAN set us up with housing which was right across from UQ's campus. The walk to class, bus, and ferry stop were all about 8-10 minutes away. My everyday life consisted of going to classes during the week and getting all of my homework done so that I was free on the weekends to hang out with new friends in the city of Brisbane or traveling around Australia.
TEAN also had excursions, cultural immersion trips (AFL game, lawn bowling, and coffee breaks), and was always there if anything was needed! UQ offered us great clubs that allowed us to meet Australians and other International students. They carried on events such as traveling the East Coast, pub crawl, and different events throughout the week. Overall I was very happy with my study abroad experience!

Ariel

Why Did It Have to End?

Going to Australia has probably been one of the best experiences of my life. From learning a new culture firsthand; understanding science, nutrition, and government policy with an Australian perspective; and learning the high's and low's of becoming a certified barista, I never in my life thought I would have this knowledge of a country and lifestyle on the other side of the world. I made friends there, international friends from Italy and Asia, and even Americans who live close to me (and one who even goes to my school!) Being in Australia also gave me an insight about what makes America so unique and special, as well as solutions to some of the problems we have here because of the insight from outsiders. Saying this trip was worthwhile would be an understatement.

Katie

Best 5 Months of My Life

I knew I wanted to study abroad in Australia but was SO overwhelmed by all of my options! The Education Abroad Network really helped me narrow down my options and plan out everything I needed before I left. They were incredibly helpful with everything from getting my visa to finding housing. Brisbane was the perfect city for me. I loved it because it was a big city with a small town feel. There was always an adventure to go on, day or night! Overall, Brisbane is a great location in relation to everywhere else in Australia. There were so many opportunities to take weekend trips to the coast or to one of the many nearby islands. Within Brisbane, I fell in love with South Bank and West End. I couldn't get over how many cool little cafes and local restaurants you would find just wandering around. Overall, I would 100% recommend studying in Brisbane through TEAN. It was the most amazing experience of my life hands down!

Neal

Brisbane at Heart

TEAN is an incredible education abroad program. They helped make sure that everything was in order from start to finish. They aid in the academic application process, flight scheduling and housing accommodations. I lived in the city of Brisbane in an incredible apartment with a balcony overlooking the Brisbane River into South Bank. TEAN also provides an exhilarating five day orientation. My day to day in Brisbane was always a mystery, ranging from taking a ferry to school, hitting up the markets in South Bank, enjoying the nightlife in Fortitude Valley, or taking quick train trips to the Sunshine and Gold coasts. I can't think of a better way to study abroad!

stephaniem

By far the best experience of my life!

Studying abroad was such a memorable experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat! I learned about people from all over the world and how their lives differ from mine in the United States. Studying and living abroad opened my eyes to various world issues and made me a much more independent and confident person. Nothing around me was familiar, so I had to be more aware of what was going on around me. I got the hang of Aussie life quickly, met friends, and figured out the best ways to get around the city. This experience was absolutely worthwhile and I encourage everyone to study abroad!

Brisbane2

I fell in love with Brisbane!

I studied at UQ in Brisbane with TEAN and lived in St. Lucia in an apartment they provided with 3 other roommates. Brisbane was great! There's a million little towns within this city each offering different unique qualities for all personalities to to explore! UQ is a great school with the impression of classic prestigious buildings on a gorgeous plot of land that instantly impresses you! There's a wide variety of classes available and I definitely suggest taking something specific to Australia whether it be the generic "all study abroad student" history course or something more specific that applies to your interest. For me having this insight on some of the history and makings of Australia helped me understand how it became what it is today! The CityCat ferry is a unique and awesome mode of transportation and a MUST for anyone staying in Brisbane to try out! Brisbane is often looked down on as a smaller, less urban city of Australia but personally I loved everything it had to offer! And its location is ideal for weekend (or weekday!) trips to the gold or sunshine coasts which are so easy to get to by train for only like $4 AUD! Make friends at the amazing TEAN orientations and pre-semester trips (definitely sign up for one it's beyond worth it!) so you have a place to crash and you'll be set! Biggest issue in Brisbane is getting to all the little alcoves and making sure you get to see everything it has to offer! One MUST DO activity is getting up Mt Coot-tha and seeing the amazing view of Brisbane and it's suburbs! TEAN does a good job at organizing everything before you show up so you don't have to worry about enrolling at Uni or getting the credits transferred back!

Location:
Brisbane
Currency:
Australia Dollar

Brisbane is the new up-and-coming tourist destination in Australia. Its laid-back vibe, youthful population, and vibrant culture make it an easy place to fall in love with. Brisbane is the fastest growing city in Australia, so if you want to avoid the crowds, go now!

Alumni Interviews

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...