With the rainforests of the Wet Tropics, dry Savannah's of the Australian Outback and the Great Barrier Reef in close proximity, Study Abroad students at James Cook University (JCU) have hands-on learning experiences in locations like no other.
JCU’s strengths lie in quality teaching and practical training for the workforce.
Small class sizes ensure students receive personal attention from lecturers and tutors committed to student success.
At JCU, students are encouraged to experience opportunities outside the lecture theatre - under the sea, in local clinics, industry, and businesses, overseas, and in the rainforest and outback.
Top 2% of world universities (ARWU 2017)
Top 50 Under 50 (THE World University Rankings 2017)
No. 1 in the world for Marine and Freshwater Biology (CWUR 2017)
JCU is ranked in the top two Australian universities and top 30 in the world for Environmental Sciences and Ecology (US News and Global Report Rankings 2018)
CRICOS Provider Code: 00117J
- As regional cities, Townsville and Cairns are small enough to avoid the hustle and bustle of big city life, and large enough to have all the facilities that students could need.
- Lower cost of living compared to capital cities.
- Located in North Queensland, both Townsville and Cairns enjoy spectacular, sunny weather all year-round.
- Small class sizes ensure you will receive personalised learning and easy access to your lecturers.
- North Queensland is an ideal base for a variety of recreational activities including rainforest hikes, mountain biking, hiking, snorkeling and scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef and experiencing native Australian wildlife.