Study Abroad at James Cook University, Australia

With the rainforests of the Wet Tropics, dry Savannah's of the Australian Outback and the Great Barrier Reef in close proximity, Study Abroad students at James Cook University (JCU) have hands-on learning experiences in locations like no other.

JCU’s strengths lie in quality teaching and practical training for the workforce.
Small class sizes ensure students receive personal attention from lecturers and tutors committed to student success.

At JCU, students are encouraged to experience opportunities outside the lecture theatre - under the sea, in local clinics, industry, and businesses, overseas, and in the rainforest and outback.

Rankings
Top 2% of world universities (ARWU 2017)
Top 50 Under 50 (THE World University Rankings 2017)
No. 1 in the world for Marine and Freshwater Biology (CWUR 2017)
JCU is ranked in the top two Australian universities and top 30 in the world for Environmental Sciences and Ecology (US News and Global Report Rankings 2018)

CRICOS Provider Code: 00117J

• As regional cities, Townsville and Cairns are small enough to avoid the hustle and bustle of big city life, and large enough to have all the facilities that students could need.
  • Lower cost of living compared to capital cities.
  • Located in North Queensland, both Townsville and Cairns enjoy spectacular, sunny weather all year-round.
  • Small class sizes ensure you will receive personalised learning and easy access to your lecturers.
  • North Queensland is an ideal base for a variety of recreational activities including rainforest hikes, mountain biking, hiking, snorkeling and scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef and experiencing native Australian wildlife.

Haley

Studying abroad in Townsville through IFSA Butler

The reason that I went to study abroad in Townsville, Australia was to follow the path of my older sister who studied abroad there four years ago. Her stories of the people, classes, and weather all easily convinced me to study abroad there. However, while I felt that my experience was far different from hers, it was even better than I imagined. I got to start my trip off in Sydney exploring the city, getting used to the time change and taking some excursions to the blue mountains and aboriginal sites where we could learn about the culture of indigenous australians. Then, going to James Cook University, we were picked up by students at the airport who were able to tell us all about our dorm and we even saw some wild wallabies on our way onto campus. I learned a lot in my classes, which were all centered around Australian culture, health and climate but even the learning style was something that I had to get used to. One of my favorite parts about studying abroad would be working at the culture fest that was hosted on James Cook University's campus. While for volunteering I was only asked to direct traffic, I was able to get a free pass to go through the culture fest which included singers and performers from multiple different cultures as well as food, jewelry, and clothes being sold which I took full advantage of. James Cook University also put on international Cafes for international students where they would have different people come in and talk and different prizes. At one of them I even won tickets to go see the women's basketball game. The school hosted 'free lunch fridays' where they once offered kangaroo sausage as we got to watch a snake handler show us some of the most dangerous snakes in Australia. Pictures of my memories from Townsville are now plastered on the walls of my room and I still keep in contact with the people from my dorm. It was an amazing experience and I would do anything to be able to do it again.

My program received all our orientation in Sydney and I wish they had taken a day or so to show us all the amazing things that Townsville had to offer as well since I feel like I missed some of the landmarks and sites.

About James Cook University

James Cook University (JCU) is proud to be Australia’s leading University for the Tropics. Ranked in the top 2 percent of universities worldwide (ARWU 2017), JCU will provide you with world-class facilities, career-focused courses, and leading...