SCSU: Study in Lismore, Australia at Southern Cross Uni

SCSU: Study in Lismore, Australia at Southern Cross Uni

This semester-long exchange program facilitated by St. Cloud State University offers students an unforgettable cultural and academic experience in the unique setting of Lismore. As an exchange student at Southern Cross University, students will have the opportunity to take classes with Australian students and be taught by Australian professors in a rich and inviting environment. Please note: you don't have to be St. Cloud State student to apply!

Lismore is located at the northern point of the region known as New South Wales along the Pacific Ocean. Surrounded by rainforests and beaches, this university is situated in a region known for its unique characteristics. The campus at Lismore is the largest of the Southern Cross Universities with a student population of 6,000 students. As a student, you will have access to a modern library, information center, computer labs and many other student services!

Oceania » Australia
Criminal Justice
Health Sciences
Statement of Purpose
Health Requirement
Visa Requirement
Students pay a comprehensive program fee which is set, in part, according to the cost of living and academic fees at St. Cloud State University for one semester. This includes tuition, housing, round-trip transportation, visa fees, and program administration costs. Meals are not included in the comprehensive program cost; therefore students will be responsible for purchasing meals or preparing their own meals. Personal expenses such as extra travel, books, and passport fees are not included. All financial aid is available to students on this program. Financial Aid is applied to your program following the regular schedule for that semester as determined by the Financial Aid Office. The comprehensive fee is subject to change without notice. The program fee is never prorated nor is any part refundable.
Lismore

Ella
Saint Cloud, MN

Too Amazing

My time in Australia was beyond amazing! It has always been on my bucket list and I was finally able to cross it off! I literally fell in love with it the minute I landed! The weather was gorgeous, the people were the best family I have had and all the opportunities available while being there were outstanding! I would definitely recommend this program, no questions asked!

It was great to be able to be submerged into the Australian culture. Everything about it was memorable. I wish I could go back right now!

To go longer!!

Aaron
Minnesota

Dreamworld

If you want to go to a country where the whole country looks like a page out of a "National Geographic" book. Go to Australia. Within the first week I fell completely in love with this amazing country. Coming from central Minnesota, there is not too many hills or mountains of any sort in the area. Within an hour or so of being in the country I saw bigger hills and mountains than I have ever seen in my life.
Another great thing about Australia that Minnesota doesn't have, the beach. The ocean is incredible! My first time ever going to the ocean, at the age of 20, was at Byron Bay in Australia. Only a quick 45 minute drive away from the beloved Lismore, and easily one of the most beautiful beaches in the entire country.
The only thing that might be better than the scenery in Australia is the people you meet there. Minnesotans are known for being "Minnesota nice", Minnesota nice is nothing compared to the niceness that Australians treat people with. Hands down some of the nicest and most generous people on earth. Besides meeting and befriending heaps of Australians, my fellow SCSU students and myself met so many people from around the world and around America, which just opens up more, and more opportunities to travel in the future! In the few months of being in America, I have already had the pleasure to get to travel to New Jersey and visit some of the absolutely incredible friends that I met while studying at SCU.
Australia gives you the opportunity to do some of the most amazing things you'll ever do in your life. I can hands down say that scuba diving in the great barrier reef is the most incredible experience of my life, and its dying real fast, so you better get there soon! I also got to Climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge, share a drink with some mates at the Sydney Opera house, learn to surf, spend my 21st birthday in the Gold Coast with my favorite people on the planet, and run with wild kangaroos, while also falling in love with camping.
Oh and did I even mention New Zealand?!? New Zealand is only a short plane ride away from Australia and in a definitely a "must go" country. The majority of the country is mountains, especially the Southern Island. It is also the location where the Lord of the Rings movies were filmed, which is a big plus when travelling to New Zeal are someone that is trying to grow as a person, see new things, meet new people, and completely change who you are as a person: the greatest decision of your life to go to Australia should be "Too Easy".

Justin
St. Cloud, MN

Won't regret it

Going to Australia was by far the best decision I have made in my young life. While I was there I was able to connect with people across the country like New York, New Jersey, California and North Carolina. I also met people from other countries and am good friends with a guy that lives in London. The people there were very friendly and encouraging to get us involved in activities. I was able to go to Sydney for 5 days during my birthday weekend where I did the Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb, I went to Cairns where I went scuba diving and snorkeling in The Great Barrier Reef and I also went skydiving. At the end of my trip I was able to fit in an 8 day trip from North Island New Zealand to South Island. I will never forget the things I got to experience and Australia will always have a special place in my heart.

If the trip to the outback was included in the tuition price like it was for a couple of other schools from the states.

Bill
Cairns, Australia

Life in the Land Down Under

My experience of studying in Australia had a huge impact on me. I will surely enjoy the memories from my time abroad for the rest of my life. The laid back, 'no worries' attitude I was surrounded with helped me to breathe easy for a while and discover what kind of career I want to pursue in such a pivotal time in life. I liked it so much that I have returned and am writing this review from Australia!

Southern Cross University (SCU) in Lismore, Australia is an incredible place to plant yourself for a semester. The campus is built on a rain forest remnant, so if you are looking forward to seeing a lot of wildlife, you will not be disappointed. Koalas are seen daily as there are close to 30 of them on campus. You can also see kangaroos and wallabies early in the morning. Small parrots called lorikeets are always flying overhead and water dragons hang out in the streams around campus.

SCU is located near some of the best surfing beaches in the world, including the beautiful Byron Bay, where I spent most of my time. The area around the campus is surrounded by green rolling hills and it doesn't take long to drive out of town to go swimming near waterfalls.

The courses in Australia are a bit different. You have lectures and tutorials (applying the lessons learned from lecture) for each class. This makes for more in class learning and less work to take home with you. All of my professors were good at engaging the students and making the lecture interesting and fun. Outdoor Education is a must take if you go to SCU. This course is comprised of two camping trips in the Australian Bush and lessons in outdoor living and survival in the classroom.

I highly recommend this program.. Even for those of you who are afraid of snakes and spiders ;) (although you won't see many at all unless you go looking). You will be amazed at the generosity of Australians and the open arms you will be welcomed with at SCU. Don't think about it, just do it!

I was only allowed to take 3 classes (12 credits) while at SCU. This allowed for more time to enjoy experiencing living in another country, which is why I was there in the first place, but I felt like I was getting behind in my academics. Although, I believe there is a way around this problem but I didn't look into it. It may have changed since I was abroad.

St. Cloud State University Education Abroad has many different programs to suit your needs.

We offer summer programs, spring break, winter intersession, semester long, and year long programs. If we don't have a program that suits your need, then we can also help you find