Study Abroad at UNSW in Sydney, Australia

Study Abroad at UNSW in Sydney, Australia

Originating in 1989, UNSW is one of Australia's oldest and most established Study Abroad programs. Our office is dedicated to student servicing and we pride ourselves on the holistic approach we provide to the application and enrolment process. We simply couldn't make it any easier.

Students may study at UNSW for one or two semesters on a tuition-fee basis, then transfer credits back to your home institution. Students can take almost any course at UNSW, so long as you have the required background knowledge.

Also available are supervised internship placements and volunteering opportunites and we provide students with social activities and an orientation program upon arrival. Additionally, UNSW Study Abroad students are guaranteed on-campus accommodation at the newly completed Kensington Colleges.

Oceania » Australia » Sydney
Semester tuition fees in 2016 are:
Undergraduate - $12,500
Combined undergrad/postgrad - $12,850
Postgraduate $13,200
Scholarships are available for international students, please read the website for further details.

I was there about 6 years ago, so not sure how much is the same. But I lived in off-campus student housing, in the Myola house at 23-25 Alfreda down by the beach. I loved that housing option because I got to live with about 23 other people from all over the world, some of whom I'm still good friends with today. I was not offered a catered meal plan but was able to get by no problem by grocery shop...

Andre
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

A Piece of The World in Australia

"I hope Rio de Janeiro to forgive me but my heart belongs to Sydney from now on." I said that on 28th February 2014, in my speech on the last day of the UEEC at the UNSW Institute of Languages. And that was absolutely true. Rio is known as the Wounderful City, but this title should be held by Sydney. In Sydney I met people from all over the world. People that I can call as friends nowadays. Safe, Beautiful and Exciting, both Sydney and UNSW made me fall in love by them. How not to miss you guys?
But now, it is not only a piece of the world that is placed in Australia but also a piece of myself. A very large and significant piece.
The world should be more similar to Australia.
Miss you, Straya!
But not for long.
See you soon any day!
Cheers, UNSW.

I went to Australia thanks to the Brazilian Program 'Science Without Borders' which is now suspended. I see different ways in which it can be improved but that refers to Brazil to do. Regarding UNSW, you guys did great!

Lorenzo
São Carlos, Brazil

Best Year of my life

I aways dreamed about going study overseas, more than that, aways dreamed of going to Australia, so my expectation for this sudyabroad experience were very high, however it didn't come close to what I really experienced in that year.
It was my firt experience in a foreing country and my english wasn't very good when I got there so I was expecting to have some difficulty in addapt to this new place.
I landed in Sydney in december 31, as it was New years eve, all the hostels were fully booked, however as I had never traveled before, I thought tha by going to the city looking for hostels would be a nice idea. O got to the city by 00:30 of January first, walked til 3:30 from hostel to hostel looking for a place but could not get it. Then I decided to take a taxi back to the airport, sleep there and go looking for a place on the next day. While I was in the line waiting for the taxi, I met two english lads who were very nice and as the taxi took a while to arrive, we talked a lot and when the car arrived, the guys invited me to sleep in their place. As a Brazilian I was very affraid of going, as it would be a very dangerous thing to do here, however I was open for meeting people and living new experiences, so I accepeted and went with then. When I got to their place they ofered me beer, we had a nice talk and I slept there, woke up the next day and went to a hostels.
This first experience I had in Australia have I the things that I experencied in my year there: Safety, friendly and easy going people, helpfull people and amazing times.

Hermann
Sydney, Australia
University of New South Wales

One of the best experiences I have ever had

The university prides itself on being culturally diverse and very inclusive. Not once did I ever feel out of place. The people are generally very friendly and welcoming to international students as a whole. Coming to UNSW has been by far the best decision I have ever made. I have met some of the closest friends at UNSW and I have learn to grow out of my comfort zone by partaking in the many clubs and societies that the university offers. I joined the UNSW law and medical Revue (Sketch Comedy/Theatre) as well as the Model UN club and Food lovers society among others. Sydney is a wonderful place to be. It caters to every taste and preference. The only downside is the cost of transportation, which can be really expensive.

F
Sydney, Australia

Great university!

There are so many resources available to students at UNSW. The professors are very good and the study abroad office is incredibly helpful at all times.
The Academic English course at the Institute of Languages is well structured and has some very good teachers.
The university is located in a good neighborhood, close to the beach, many shops around.
Overall I had a great experience studying at UNSW.

Brian
Rochester, New York
University of Rochester

The Land Down Under, A New Home

My Study Abroad Experience for the Spring semester in 2014 still seems unbelievable. As someone who lives in New York and who has never left the country before, going to Australia was the largest first step I could have possibly have chosen for a trip abroad. I was definitely nervous but my high level of excitement drowned out all of the superficial negative feelings I had. Luckily, IES made my preparation for housing, meal plans, transportation, and documentation easy to complete and get straightened out. I know a lot of people that studied at UNSW who did not go through a "middle-man" company, but I am very glad I did.
Even on day one, IES and UNSW both started to make my transition process smooth and manageable with orientation programs and information sessions. I felt immediately included by all the staff, faculty, and other Australian students. I really did feel like I made a second home.
The academics I would not say were easier, but because I had a lot more free time since I wasn't working part time or involved in as much like I am back at my home university, I felt less stressed and had much more time for my studies when I needed it. It was also a much less competitive culture in Australia academically. In America, grades are either hidden or bragged about amongst peers, but I did not find that sort of elitist mentality here. Everyone was willing to help each other and were genuinely interested in how their friends were doing.
I also took the opportunity while abroad to do as much networking as possible, and long story short I made a lot of connections within the Sydney Business School. I toured it, met with faculty, and still keep in touch with them should I ever decide to apply for their MBA program. I like keeping my options open with what and where I want to go in my life, and studying abroad gives you an opportunity to literally broaden your horizons with possibilities of where you will end up one day.
Of course I had to take advantage of being all the away across the world so I traveled as much as I could. Apart from exploring Sydney, I visited Melbourne, Cairns, Brisbane, The Great Barrier Reef, The Outback, the Daintree Rainforest, and the rural areas of Australia. Travelling is relatively cheap in Australia so it was very feasible to do a lot of it throughout my semester there.
I still miss the days where I would wake up, take the 20 minute walk to the beach, come back in the afternoon for class, go out to dinner with new friends, explore the night life later, and then do it all over again the next day. I really find this experience the most valuable of my whole life, and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

It is hard to change this, but the general expenses of Australia did make it quite challenging. I spent much more than I originally thought I would. The Australian dollar and American dollar are not too different, but because Australia is so much more expensive between transportation, housing, cellular plans, food, and pretty much everything else, it became hard to really enjoy everything while also budgeting. So if you already have a budget and you are planning on going to Sydney, make sure you have a back up plan or that you really, really stick to your budgeting plans.

Wes
Columbus, OH
Miami University

Experience of a Lifetime

Studying in Australia was an experience of a lifetime, and UNSW did nothing but enhance my time there. My time spent in Sydney and UNSW has given me lifetime memories.

The location of the school, the facilities, and the people there are what make UNSW such a great place.

The 5 months I spent in Sydney and at UNSW were the most fun I have ever had!!!

Jaclyn
Sydney Australia
University of New South Wales

BEST ADVENTURE of your LIFE~!!

I cant articulate sufficiently how you simply must study at UNSW. Like I wish I could type harder and you could visually see how excited I am about this school. I had such an incredible experience that I decided I couldn't leave and now I'm starting a Masters in International Relations in order to delay going back home.

First: The Support
-I called the International Office prepared to listen to automated answering and wait forever to speak to a human. I was wrong! 2 rings later, wonderful Kate answered and immediately started helping me. As a US Army veteran I was particularly concerned with the tuition coverage paperwork but she put me in contact with all the right people and thats when I knew I would be alright. Her and Michelle, the director are Queens divine and bend over backwards to make sure you are squared away.

Second: The Classes and Campus
-The campus is gorgeous with a beautiful lawn in front of the library. Its constantly littered with groups of students laughing and studying. The professors are top quality and will push you to your academic potential.

Third: The City
OH LAWD. I cant even start. Beaches on one side, harbour bridge and the opera house on the other. Surry hills pubs, bondi junction shopping, kings cross clubs, the coogee to bondi coastal walk, moonlight cinemas, the list is endless. The bus system is straight legit, you hardly ever have to wait longer than 10 mins and the buses go everywhere! Thats not even getting into the rest of Australia, the eastern coast, the great barrier reef, Ayers rock (uhluru), skydiving, hang gliding, wine vineyards, hot air balloon rides. OH you gotta do a party boat. Best memories ever!

Fourth: The Weather: Its hot and luxuriously gorgeous NOV-MAR, and sort of cold from JUN-SEP. Sunny like at least 20 days a month. Its a bit like heaven basically.

CAUTION: THE EXPENSES!
Most expensive city in history. Come with lots of money if you want to have a social/fun life. Most meals are between 12-15 dollars, housings in about 900-1100 for a decent room not shared with 8 others. Just bring lots of money.

DO IT! You want the best memories of your life? Then get started!
Also, for you US Veterans, Im using my GI Bill here and its AWESOME!

I wouldn't change anything but I will warn the US students, this is academically pretty challenging. That is not to say its impossible and you shouldn't be intimidated, but you should NOT NOT NOT expect to fly by easily. There are a lot of expectations for critical analysis, and in depth evaluation, and they don't accept fluff BS.

Jane
Denmark

Best experience of my life!

I studied at UNSW for a semester and I can honestly say that it was the best semester of my uni-degree.

It is a very international university which is good because you never feel like you're the outsider coming from far away. However, at the same time it would have been nice to engage more with the local people and have more Australians in my classes instead of it mainly being other international students.

The academic standard did feel somewhat lower compared to what I'm used to coming from Europe, but I am assuming it is due to the very flexible system Australians have where it seems they can pretty much combine any undergradute with a masters while I have done my the entire degree within the same field. So just be aware of that when choosing subjects. Also the education system is very different from what is know in Europe.. in the social sciences we had a lof of assignments through out the semester and then no exams. Something very new to me.

The social vibe is really great at UNSW. There are a lot of clubs to join and a great deal of parties where you can engage with the locals ;) Everything you need is on campus from hairdresser to a supermarket.
And the city of Sydney and the opera house is only a bus ride away!

Overall I did really like it and it was definitely the right thing for me and not something I regret at all. Sydney is an amazing city and UNSW is a great place to study.

Be aware that Sydney is VERY expensive and take care when looking for a place to stay. The housing organized by the study-abroad is not a cheap solution, so I would recommend finding something on your own off campus - just be aware of what you say yes to as a lot of landlords take advantage of the fact that the international students don't know what the standard or price-range should be.
And I would not recommend living in Bondi - it's more expensive, when you leave the beach area it's a bit dodgy and you'll need two busses to go to UNSW (and public transport is VERY expensive - and there's no concession to international students).

Make sure you make an effort to engage with the local people - for instance via clubs. Too many just choose to be with other international students, but the experience is very different (and so much better) if you spend some time with the locals.

Emanuel
New York, NY
Wesleyan University

Fantastic Experience - Highly Recommend

I entered the University of New South Wales Study Abroad program on the recommendation of a friend, but otherwise knew little about the university or Australian culture in general. Almost immediately upon my arrival, I felt properly assimilated into my new surroundings; this is of course a testament to the incredible work of the UNSW study abroad staff.

From an academic perspective, I found the curriculum to be as challenging or as carefree as I desired. There was no shortage of challenging, intellectually-stimulating courses for me to consider, across a wide variety of disciplines. If I had one academic regret from my time there, it would be that I did not engage in my classes (and their intelligent, accomplished professors) more fully.

From a social perspective, Australia possesses a unique and welcoming culture. Australians have no inherent bias against Americans, and are ready and willing to accept travelers into their inner circles, even if just for the evening. Moreover, the American students with whom I traveled shared a unique bond and opted to spend a significant amount of time together during our stint abroad, which I later discovered was unique when compared to friends' experiences in other countries. One student from my orientation class loved her experience enough that she chose to return to Sydney full time after college (she still resides there).

Simply put, my experience at the University of New South Wales was one of the best decisions I have made in my entire life. I emerged from my time there with a newfound appreciation for my future, as well as what the world had to offer. And to this day I remain close friends with several of my American classmates I met there. Don't think - go!

I would allow students more liberty in choosing their potential housing options and roommates.

logand
Keystone, Colorado
University of Colorado- Boulder

Go to UNSW

Going to UNSW was by far the best choice I could have made with my study abroad experience. The school itself is absolutely beautiful and really catered to every type of student. I think the best part about it was the location. Being in Sydney made it so easy for me to experience as much of Australia as I could. You've got Coogee beach right down the road and are a short bus ride from downtown Sydney. Made for a great jumping point to explore other areas of the country like the Great Barrier Reef.
The University also always had some great activities going on, from concerts to wine country tours as well as a lot of great competitive and recreational sports teams.
One of the best parts was the classes. I got to take a Marine Sciences class where we actually got to go out and learn first-hand about what we were studying, by examining marine life in bays near the University.
I met some of my closest friends at UNSW and wish every day I could go back and do it all again.

I would have liked more housing options on-campus with other local students. Would have made for an easier immersion with locals.

Paul
Michigan City, IN

Australian Wildlife and Conservation Program - UNSW

Where do I begin on this. First, I'm 28 and working now full-time. I would tell you if you can afford it, or even if you can't to try to go. You won't have the opportunity to spend so much time in a great place like Australia when you have a full-time job. Your college years allow you to do this.

Study abroads will be the trips that you will look back on happily and even get depressed from time to time just because they are so fantastic and because you wish you were there. You will bond so easily with everyone in the program, and you can build connections in the future. I personally went to Darwin, Uluru, Sydney and then Cairns. Study abroads allow you to receive credit and have a structured plan that allows you to get the most bang for your buck in terms of seeing what the country has to offer. UNSW is a leading school, and it was great to be there. It's also in a great location, in a wonderful city, that will always give you something to see.

The cost is pricy, but Australia is pricy.

MILLY
Salem, Massachusetts

UNSW Study Abroad is the best decision I've made in a long time

I absolutely loved my experience abroad. The staff at the Study Abroad office at UNSW were an exceptionally friendly group of individuals dedicated to making sure my experience in Sydney was amazing. I was 100% satisfied with their diligence, friendliness and support.

Nothing! I was 100% satisfied with their diligence, friendliness and support.

UNSW is located in the heart of Sydney, Australia. It is one of Australia’s leading research and teaching institutions, continuously ranked within the top 100 universities in the world.

UNSW is renowned for the quality of its graduates, strong industry links and its innovative world