AIFS Study Abroad in Salzburg: Semester or Academic Year

AIFS Study Abroad in Salzburg: Semester or Academic Year

Earn up to 17 credits through a wide variety of courses studying at the world-renowned University of Salzburg. This program is ideal whether you’re looking to become more fluent in the German language or looking for an elegant European city as a backdrop for your study abroad experience. No previous German language is required and courses are taught in English.

Live in Student Residence Hall, with an Austrian family in a homestay or, for an additional fee, a shared apartment. A 2-week German language orientation course is offered to help students from Beginner to Advanced adjust to life in Austria.

You’ll enjoy cultural and social activities such as Austrian cooking classes, an Austrian pastry seminar, and visits to the Werfen Castle and Hellbrunn Palace among others.

Few countries could be more exciting to study in than Austria, a peaceful democracy with cultural and economic ties in both eastern and western Europe. With the Alps at your doorstep for outdoor fun and the works of Mozart, Haydn and Strauss in the background, Austria is an unbelievable study abroad destination.
  • Visit to Hellbrunn Palace and the Trick Water Fountains
Activities
Classes
Meals
Travel Insurance
AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive fees cover tuition and housing with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages are available.
Salzburg

Conor Jordan
Conor Jordan
Maryland

Salzburg: The Best Place to Study Abroad

Salzburg was great because it offered so many great places to explore. I loved walking around the city after class or in the evening to find the cool nooks and crannies of the city. There were tons of awesome museums, if you are into those. Or, if you prefer outdoor activities they have that too! Some of my friends hiked up the Untersberg Mountain and had a breathtaking view over the city. You can even take Sound of Music Tours, or explore the Salt Mines nearby. Then there is the food and the people. The Austrian cuisine was amazing, and it was great to have hearty German portions. The people were great, too, they were helpful when you needed anything.

Salzburg was a place to call home, and that was the best part of studying abroad, for me. I loved coming back to a smaller city after a long weekend of travelling. The city was easy to navigate and it was relaxing. There is nothing better than coming back, from the hustle and bustle of a big city over the weekend, to the serenity of Salzburg. Even if you don't choose to study abroad in Salzburg, surely it should be on your list of places to visit.

Taylor Ollari
Taylor Ollari
Narragansett, Rhode Island
University of Rhode Island

Nine Amazing Months

I studied abroad for the fall and spring semester in Salzburg and it was an amazing experience. I really enjoyed my classes and instructors, we went on a lot of unique excursions in and around Salzburg. I lived in a home stay, which was a 25 minute walk to the city center, which was a great way to practice my German. I made amazing friends, both in the program and locals, and traveled to a lot of cool places. Salzburg is a beautiful, safe city and has a great location in Europe.

Jen
Rhode Island
University of Rhode Island

Small-Town Salzburg

Salzburg is a small city, making it perfect for those who really want to get to know and become comfortable with the area they are studying and living in. Within a few weeks you start recognizing locals in their routines and are accustomed to the flow of the city, which is laid-back and quiet, with shops closing around dinner time. It is the perfect place to live, study, relax, and experience Austro-Germanic culture without being overwhelmed. This might not be a major party city, but it is easy to navigate and central to many larger cities, including Munich, Vienna, Prague, and Venice.

Homestays are severely limited, so expect to be housed in a student dormitory, which vary in location and amenities, so it really may be luck of the draw when it comes to your housing preferences. Obtaining reliable internet access was initially a problem, but during my semester the AIFS staff secured portable wi-fi for students having issues, and all problems were resolved.

AIFS really does do a lot to get students settled into Salzburg by suggesting tips, obtaining bus passes, offering meal cards, and arranging excursions to both local and far-reaching destinations. If any issues arise, it is not difficult to reach a member of the AIFS staff to assist you, either.

It would be nice to know your housing assignment before leaving the states, to best prepare when packing, and lessen the shock and possible let-down of learning your living arrangement on site.

Lindsey
Seattle, Washington
Seattle Pacific University

Enthralling Adventure

I had a great time in Salzburg! I was one of a few that ha the opportunity to stay with a host family, and absolutely loved my host mom. I traveled most weekends but still felt that there wa adequate time to explore Salzburg. Salzburg is such a beautiful town with many friendly people. It's small enough to not feel pressure to stay the whole time but big enough to have things to do. I also think that the support from staff was great. At the beginning I felt overwhelmed and like I was alone, but a week later I grew my wings and flew, grateful for not having someone holding me back. Classes were okay, not very challenging, but a vast majority of the business classes were independent study courses entailing a weekly meeting and a 6,000 word paper at the end. I wasn't a fan of that, but enjoyed having four day weekends.

Heather
Concord, NH

Salzburg

I have so many memories from my time abroad that it is too hard to pick just one. If I have to share one though it would be that I learned more about myself and grew out of my shell while abroad. I met new friends from both the United States and from throughout Europe who I still keep in touch with! I love sharing my experience with people and relive my time abroad like it was yesterday. Going abroad is nerve racking and you have so many emotions running through, but once you're there all that goes away and you live in the moment and take advantage of every opportunity.

Joe
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Rowan University

AIFS Salzburg Review

Salzburg is an amazingly beautiful city with a great central location in Europe. While it's not the biggest bustling city out there, it still is full of amazing views, fun nightlife, good shopping, and delicious food.

The only thing I would change about this program is the level of which we are interacting with Austrian students on a daily basis. Only one or two students on my program had Austrian roommates, and I don't believe there where any Austrian students living in my building. I know this can't really be controlled but it would have been nice. You will still interact with my Austrians at university or at bars for example, but you will not be seeing too many where you live.

William
Spokane, Washington
Gonzaga University

A Place to Settle Down

The city of Salzburg is not the city to go to if you want a crazy bar scene. It is not a loud city. It is not a busy city. I wouldn't even say it is a city. Salzburg is a town that you return to after all the craziness of a traveling a weekend. It is a town where you take evening walks and explore the mountains throughout the city. It is a town where the shopkeepers remember you and help you. It is a town that I would call a second home.

I think they need better options for eating for students. They require that all students cook entirely for themselves which I believe may be hard for some students.

Alba
San Diego, Ca
Vanguard University of Southern California

Semester Abroad: Salzburg

Salzburg was the perfect combination between a city and a small town. It is a small town that captivates its visitors with its beauty and charm. Spending my fall semester in Salzburg was hands down the best experience because the weather was incredible and the tourism was low. My favorite part was the Christmas Markets in November. It was an unforgettable experience to be able to fully immerse myself in the Austrian Christmas spirit, the culture, climb mountains filled with snow in the winter, and see the leaves fall in autumn. Going abroad with 40 people you have never met before can feel like an intimidating thing to do but I could not have imagined a better group of people to have traveled and laughed with.

I wish that my dorm could have been closer to town (15 minute bus ride into the city, 10 to school). It would have been a more convenient to walk into town and back to the dorms since the bus stopped working early in the night.

Shaye
Boise, Idaho
Boise State University

Great Program but Expensive

This AIFS summer program kept us busy, which was a good thing for me. I really enjoyed the flight package to London, as we got to spend 2 days there and meet some of our classmates. We had excursions most weekends and classes were decent. One of the classes got out at 7pm which was a huge inconvenience because stores close early here.

The cost. It is rather expensive for the short amount of time that we were there. They also did not sit us all down to meet one another.

Devin
Worcester, Massachusetts
Assumption College

Couldn't have been happier with Salzburg.

It might sound cliche but studying abroad in Salzburg was the best decision of my life. I lived in university housing, International Kolleg, which was great because many of the other students from the program lived there, as well as other students from many different countries. The housing is a little far from the university so we typically needed to take the bus, but I got used to it and it was a great way to get to know more of the city.

Salzburg is incredibly beautiful! It's clean and very safe, I never felt unsafe once, even at night. The night life is pretty great too. And it's a great destination because it's located so close to so many countries which makes traveling on the long weekend perfect!

Overal I could not have been happier with my choice to study abroad in Salzburg. And make sure you go on all of the excursions, they're awesome!

Maggie
Southwestern College

Best Decision I've Made

Studying abroad with AIFS was the best decision I've made in my college career. I lived in one of the University's dorms with an American roommate - they did a great job matching us up and we got along really well! There were also some other AIFS students in our dorm which worked out really well for studying, hanging out, and planning trips together. The atmosphere of the dorm was awesome overall.

AIFS was really good bang for the buck - lots of things were included in the cost like insurance, housing, meal stipends, and a few weekend trips that were awesome. It was definitely an awesome deal for the price!

The AIFS staff was one of the greatest parts of the whole experience. They truly cared about each and every one of us. When my family went through some tough stuff while I was in Salzburg, Ingrid checked in on me and made sure everything was ok which spoke volumes. Plus they were always happy to see us if we stopped by the office on a whim.

Salzburg as a whole was a great city to study in - most classes were in the same building so it was easy to find, nightlife was good if you wanted to go out, but it was also fun to just explore the city and wander. So much culture and experience crammed into one place! Definitely check out this gem!

paula
plymouth, new hampshire
Plymouth State University

I did not like living outside of the city; I felt like that took away from a great experience. Also, being so isolated from the group. There were only a couple other students in my dorm, which sucked.

Having more students live in the actual city.

SS2010
Auburn, AL
Clemson University

Most impactful experience in my life.

The AIFS Program in Salzburg, Austria made me become a more culturally aware individual. It produced a global outlook and has been exceedingly helpful in assisting with my future career goals. The staff gives you plenty of information before your departure and is a available for all of your needs while there. My classes were in the afternoon allowing for explorations in the morning and night. The pre-planned trips made traveling to other cities easy and enjoyable. Go abroad with AIFS!

No Friday classes would be preferable for weekend travel. I recognize this is difficult for summer sessions though.

Erin
Des Moines, IA
Drake University

Best Choice I've Made!

I LOVED studying with AIFS in Salzburg. I chose to live in a homestay which was a really scary decision. I went through some culture shock at first, but the Resident Director Ingrid was so supportive and helped me adjust. In the end, I am so thankful I stayed with a host family, which I would recommend to everyone! My host family had me eat with them almost every day and even had me join family excursions like a ski trip and school programs. I grew to care about them like my own family, and two of my four host siblings will (hopefully - fingers crossed) be coming to visit me in the U.S. next summer! Even living with family, however, I had a lot of freedom. I had the same independence as the students living in the dorms, but also got to enjoy a good home-cooked meal and make lifelong friendships with native Austrians. Win-win!

Salzburg is kind of a random place to study abroad, but that made it so much more fun! There's some great nightlife, and all sorts of unique attractions like a historic fortress built in the 1200s, a Redbulls professional soccer team, or the Stiegl Brewery. The city is surrounded by these gorgeous mountains so there are lots of hiking opportunities, too. If you're into skiing, GO TO SALZBURG! Incredible slopes and the snow is honestly powder.

Because Austria is located pretty centrally,it's easy to travel throughout Europe. During my semester stay I was able to visit Zagreb (Croatia), Stockholm, Hamburg, Munich, Prague, and other cities in Austria as well as the 3-day layover in London at the beginning. I didn't go there,but Venice is only about 4 hours away by train.

Don't be worried too much about the language barrier. I'd encourage you to learn German because it's a very eye-opening experience that you'll grow from, but the Austrians speak very great English. You'll be fine!

I'm so happy I chose Salzburg over larger or better known cities because it was easier to settle in and the culture was so unique. The Christmas Markets are beautiful with all sorts of snacks, sweets and crafts for sale. The atmosphere is so charming that I'd go walk around the markets just because! You won't find the krampuslaufs anywhere else (google it. it's crazy). Also the food is incredible.

AIFS is really affordable. For example, they give you a food stipend and a rebate on a monthly bus pass which is really helpful for budgeting.

Overall, studying abroad was the best decision I ever made. I met some of my closest friends, gained a new perspective on issues and the world, became much more independent, experienced a new culture, learned a lot about myself, and most of all -- had FUN! I could write another 10,000 words about how much I loved it.

I can't think of anything except that I wish it was longer. The semester went by too fast!

Richard
Rochester, NY

Austria was the best decision of my life!

When I was planning to study abroad, Salzburg never crossed my mind. However, I was the best decision I could have ever made! I had a very good time in Salzburg with Andreas, the excursion associate, and my new and life long new friends. At first I was worried about falling behind with my academic, but once I created the contract with the school and advisor, I felt confident. Also, Ingrid, the resident director helped me throughout my application and traveling process. If you decide to go to Salzburg, Yu might hear my story in London. I was almost deported basically, but the staff worked with the officers and fixed my situation. I also lived with a family, The lindenthaler family (I think i spelled it wrong) and they were the coolest guest family I have ever encountered. Very helpful, the even taught me how to speak german and count every step of the stairs all the way to my room.
If you are thinking about this program, don't think anymore and go for it. You wont regret it. Don't be scared to ask questions and to explore the city.
Just GO!!

There is nothing...

Rebecca
Vermont
University of Vermont

Better Than I Could Have Imagined

Salzburg is one of the most beautiful places in the world. It is impossible not to fall in love with every inch of the small city. AIFS is a fantastic program with lots of perks. My living situation was absolutely perfect and the other students in the program were a blast. The excursions to Munich, Vienna, Innsbruck, and Prague were a great combination of fun and educational, and the cultural excursions in and around Salzburg were great because they were all at hard to access places, so I wouldn't have gotten to them by myself. I definitely recommend studying in Salzburg through AIFS.

The only change I would make would be to make it easier to take classes with Austrians. I enjoyed having my classes be with other international students, but I would have liked studying with natives too.

wanderlust24
West Chester, PA
West Chester University

Amazing Experience in Salzburg

The excursions were a great part of the experience with being able to hike Hohenwerfen, and to visit Munich, Vienna, and Innsbruck. The cultural excursions were a nice touch as well such as the sausage stand scavenger hunt, or the trip to the Christkindlmarkt. The housing accommodations in Salzburg are all great, especially the St. Sebastian Institute because it is situated within the city. I loved attending the University of Salzburg and enjoyed all of my classes. The course load is just enough that you can fulfill school requirements and still be able to enjoy your time in Salzburg. I would highly recommend this program especially because the AIFS Salzburg staff is amazing and supportive of their program members.

I can't think of anything.

uopspy
Washington
University of the Pacific

Fun, Educational and Long-term Friends

I had a great time during my study abroad experience in Salzburg. I shared an apartment with other participants and went to school with about 25 other US students -- some of those people I've now been friends with for over 12 years. A phenomenal program, a terrific educational experience, and a beautiful city.

Elisabeth79
Seattle, WA
Washington State University- Spokane

Beautiful Salzburg!!

I absolutely fell in love with the city of Salzburg!! The city is filled with places like the Mirabell Garden, a castle called Hohenssalzburg, many beautiful mountains, a river, outdoor markets, historic landmarks and so much more. Having grown up watching the Sound of Music as a kid, it was fun to see many of the locations it was filmed at and to also learn more about Mozart as well. The place I lived in was centrally located & it was easy to get to other places by foot or by bus. The food was amazing in Salzburg with yummy things like schnitzel, sachertort, and many other Austrian specialties. Lots of great places to eat at that also including smaller vendors serving gelato, pretzels, and Kebaps. From the very start AIF’s is very helpful, anywhere from giving you a list of things to pack to helping you organizing your travel plans. Things you have to get use to while there are setting up appointments to wash your clothes, taking bags with you when you buy food, & having most stores being closed on Sunday, except restaurants and some tourist places. Thought at some times frustrating at first it was nice to have things quieter on Sundays and you soon get use to planning ahead for shopping & laundry. Austrians love to go on walks or sit in café’s, especially on Sunday. I absolutely loved the peacefulness about that aspect of their lives. You are surrounded by such beauty that it lifted my spirits daily and I found it so neat to be one minute in the new part of town, then a few minutes away the old part filled with great history, followed soon by breath taking nature that seems to frame it all in. During my time there I had two hours of German and two hours of culture class on every week day, though the times varied and the class rooms sometimes changed. It kept us on our toes and we had to make sure we paid close attention to our schedule. At first it was a challenge until we got use to it. Even their numbering system was very different at the university we took the classes at. 200 level rooms could be on the third floor, 300 level rooms on the second, and so on. The class it self was very informative and we enjoyed a few field trips were the learning became very hands on. The weekend excursions were so much fun and our tour guide went above and beyond as a host! From seeing the salt mines to day drips in other cities, such a Munich, we got to see many wonderful thing and had so much fun. You also will get some down time to go to places that you enjoy such as lakes, the Zoo, or even traveling to other cities or countries. If you ever get an opportunity to do your study abroad in Salzburg, it will be such a rewarding time. My main regret is that I didn’t do one of their longer programs. I participated in their short one month summer program and while it was a wonderful experience, it went by too fast. I left feeling like I had so much more that I wanted to explore and learn. At least I now have a good reason to go back someday! I could really go on and on about my time there but hopefully this gives you a glimpse into what your life will look like if you take on this adventure with AIFS! You will get a chance to grow, travel, learn, make great friends, and it is so worth the time and money you put into it!

cmcclenahan23
Boise, ID
Boise State University

Salzburg, Austria - One of the best places on earth!

Before setting foot in Salzburg, Austria, one can underestimate the beauty they are about to encounter. Majestic alps, the sprawling walls of the fortress, historical buildings and shops - Salzburg is a city of true beauty. Nestled about the city are buildings constituting the University of Salzburg. Our classes were housed in a variety of buildings - old and new each one unique and different. While at the University we were able to meet students from all over the world in addition to the locals. I had the opportunity to spend a year in Salzburg living in an Internationale Studentenheim - a European version of an International Dorm. While living at the Internationales Kolleg - as it was called, I was able to make lasting friendships with other students whose real homes stretched all over the European continent. Creating these friendships helped to enrich my experience and deepen my connection with Salzburg.
The AIFS office is centrally located in the Stadtmitte or the City Center. Having spent a year abroad, I grew to know and appreciate having such an awesome staff to support me and provide assistance when needed. There was always a smiling face (and a tin of cookies) welcoming students for whatever their need may have been.
My friendships that I made with other Americans in the program are some of the longest-lasting and most sincere friendships I established during both my college career and life beforehand. I have gone to visit my friends and former roommate both with in the U.S. and abroad.
The travel opportunities within the program are excellent - educational and informative. We were able to see the sights in London, Vienna and Prague, as well as many locations in Austria - all inclusive with the program cost. As Austria is so centrally located within Europe, travel outside of the country is easy and uncomplicated.
Adjusting the the diet and culture is a pleasure in Salzburg. The Austrian custom of Gemuetlichkeit or hospitality, ensures that each experience within the service industry is efficient and satisfactory. The food is rich-tasting, fresh, and delicious. Much of the produce, poultry and meat is locally sourced - even at McDonalds!
With pristine lakes, breathtaking Mountains, and a culture rich in customs and tradition, the AIFS Salzburg experience is one not to be missed. Studying abroad here can only change your life for the better. You will learn more than you ever thought possible and meet some of the best people on earth!

hvl2012
Plymouth, New Hampshire

Fall 2010

Study abroad was one of the best experiences ever! I couldn't have chosen a better place to study. Salzburg was a beautiful, quiet city that sits right on the Salzach River with the fortress sitting above the city. It was easy to travel around Europe and the train station was a 10min bus ride from most locations. I would highly recommend studying abroad in Salzburg because I feel as though it is one of those places that not many people have heard of before. I met so many people from the US as well as Europe while studying abroad and still talk to them on a regular basis.

kmc
Seattle
Point Loma Nazarene University

Best semester

My semester in Salzburg was the best semester of my college career, not just that, it was the best few months of my life. I could not imagine a better study abroad experience. The staff were all helpful, without being overbearing in any way. The program included 3 weekend trips and a couple day trips that were all wonderful. I met some of my best friends during my time in Salzburg and I still keep in touch with a lot of people from my program. I would recommend AIFs Salzburg to anyone.

krystinathealien
Owensboro, Kentucky
Kentucky Wesleyan College

Die Semester wohne ich mit Mozart!

Salzburg, to me, was a forced choice. I wanted to study abroad through AIFS, but I needed German, so I came here instead of St. Petersburg or Prague. Best decision I think I've ever made. I've made such amazing friends and learned a language faster in four months than I -ever- did the three semesters I took at my home college.

Plus, Salzburg is close to a lot of very interesting cultures, and you can easily get to Italy, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, etc. with a train ticket.

Basically, if you're interested in the Austrian culture (which is NOT the German culture, you'll be quick to learn that), and you want to travel and meet awesome people, then Salzburg is definitely for you!

jfarrington
Manchester, New Hampshire.
Saint Anselm College

AIFS: Salzburg

AIFS Salzburg was an extremely upbeat and fun program. The city itself is very safe and provides for a great social scene. The AIFS staff were simply amazing. They made sure that everyone was thrust into the European culture and they were always available for answers, tips and even just to chat. I had the best time of my life living in Salzburg and I couldn't have asked for a better program.

Terhunet
San Francisco, CA
Sonoma State University

Salzburg, Austria

Traveling with AIFS to Salzburg Austria was one of the best decisions of my life. My trip was truly unforgettable, I still constantly tell stories of my memories and experiences. My trip taught me a lot about myself and really helped me to be more independent and courageous. I highly recommend studying abroad to everyone, only in such instances do you truly learn things about yourself, society, and the world. Such life lessons can only be experienced abroad, outside ones comfort and community. Be bold, take a risk, and go for it! I'm sure glad I did!

Maria
663 Bishops Lodge Rd, Santa Fe, NM 87501
Saint John's College- Santa Fe

Spring '08 review.

I really enjoyed my stay in Salzburg. The city is great and most of the places are reachable within walking distance. I loved the classes and how integrative they were. Coming to Salzburg with a little or no knowledge of German I was able to learn a lot and easily. I took two culture courses and a language class, all of the material learned in the classroom became useful instantly - I could order food, have small conversation and understand local traditions and ways of living. Outside of classroom - the hikes became a part of my daily routine, the city is surrounded with gorgeous nature - mountains, pastures, beautiful river walks and etc. Instead of taking a bus to class everyday, I would wake up early and just take my time and walk through the Hellebrunner allee. Fresh mountain air would get me very energized and ready for class. Also, every Thursday morning I would go to downtown farmer's market - and buy best sandwich meats ever! When weather got warmer, my friends and I started explore local public swimming pools, they are cheap and if you got nothing planned for the weekend, in terms of travel, best places to hang out. Also, I really took advantage of traveling to other cities in Europe, because of Salzburg's central location - it was very easy to take a train to Venice and Rome and Vienna. Many times I would just hop on a train and go to Munich for a weekend or to Munich airport and fly to places like Malta and Dublin. I do admit, if it was easy enough to get an Austrian citizenship - I would move there permanently! Best memories of my life!

Robert
Dayton, Ohio
University of Dayton

Best College Experience

Studying abroad in Salzburg, Austria was by far the best experience of my college career. I met life long friends whom I would not otherwise have met. These friends and I were able to travel all over Europe experiencing everything it had to offer. Salzburg was a perfect place to study because of its central location and its perfectly preserved Alt Stadt. Salzburg is safe and there is something for everyone. I cannot speak enough about the program and the friends I have met. I recommend this to everyone I meet.

I would not trade this experience for anything in the world.

kmj
Washington DC

You will fall in love with Salzburg

Austria is not usually the first country in Europe you think you want to study abroad in, but the Salzburg program is one of the best experiences for the money. The city itself, while small, is enchanting and full of pubs, cultural experiences, and natural wonder. I enjoyed the historic iron signs on every corner, learning how the city coped during the fascist regime, and hiking/biking/skiiing in the alps.
The size of the program is comfortable, at 40 you can find people with similiar interests and get to know them while still having alone time if you wish. The courses are fantastic. Two of my favorite Professors of my entire undergrad experience were from the AIFS program. Some chose to take it easy and did not try very hard and still passed, but if you take the time to ask questions you can learn so much. (My focus was the International Relations path). Taking the Austrian culture course was a highlight, both because of the professor and because of how it enhanced my experience. I knew only a little German and felt comfortable in the city. The German booster course helped a lot when we first arrived even though I was not excited about it initially.
Make sure you make the most of the travel excursions. I LOVED the places we went and was glad for some direction, but enough free time to see what I was interested in.

ilovesalzburg
San Diego, CA
Point Loma Nazarene University

One of the best semesters of my college career!!

I had a great time studying abroad with AIFS. The first few days of our program, they took us around the city to help us get aquainted with our surroundings. Salzburg is a gorgeous city, and I hope to go back and visit someday. The program was really helpful - setting up housing for us, giving us a meal stipend each month, and even taking us on a couple weekend trips. I made a lot of friends while on the program, even though I didn't know anyone when I started. The program also gave us great tips on where to shop and how to get around. You should definitely check it out!

brettelesley
Branford, CT
Quinnipiac University

Excellent program in a beautiful city!

Studying abroad in Salzburg, Austria with AIFS was the best decision I made during my college career. Once I was accepted into the program, any questions I had were answered quickly and thoroughly by the AIFS staff both in Stamford CT and Ingrid, Suzanna and Andreas in Salzburg. My biggest worry was the travel to London and Salzburg but the staff made it so easy to find them and truly put me at ease once I arrived. Throughout my 4 months in Salzburg, I knew the office door was always open to any questions or concerns I had, or even just to chat and have some cookies! Salzburg is such a unique and beautiful city and you can tell that the people who live and work there truly love it and take pride in their home atop the Austrian Alps. My professors at the University were very helpful and understanding of our different academic backgrounds. It was extremely interesting to hear about topics such as the Holocaust and Fascism from an Austrian perspective and we even got to visit a concentration camp which was both horrifying and educational. While I had class four days a week, I still was left with plenty of time to explore Salzburg and all it has to offer and to travel on the weekends. The opportunity to study abroad and truly immerse yourself into a culture is truly once in a lifetime and choosing to have this experience through AIFS gave me the support and guidance I needed to succeed without being overbearing or too protective. I will forever remember the places I visited in Austria and the surrounding countries and I will never again make a group of friends with such a close bond as my friends from Salzburg.

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer.

With over half a