IFR- Bulgaria Field Schools - Multiple Locations

Together with Balkan Heritage, the Institute for Field Research presents our established collection of Bulgarian field programs. With multiple quality programs to choose from, students can attend field schools in Apollonia, Ilindentsi, Tell Yunatsite, Pistiros, Varna, and an underwater archaeology program in Nessebar. Also available is a bi-national program which is cross posted in Macedonia.

With programs that range from the Neolithic Era to exploring the classical Greek influences on this area, there are plenty to choose from. Some incentives and special discounting may be available to students who participate in our Bulgarian programs.

• archaeology
  • neolithic
  • classical
  • excavation
  • bi-national

winston

Apollonia Pontica field school

I attended the Appolonia Pontica field school in Sozopol, Bulgaria the summer of 2017. This was by far the most valuable decision of my academic and professional career, as there was much insight given in all corners of the archaeological process. The city of Sozopol is a beautiful seaside resort location, and a large amount of time was allowed to explore the city. The archaeological record is very relevant to the city, and every corner holds a piece of history that ties into what the field school taught me. Digging during the day and a lecture after a break period gave the perfect opportunity to indulge into the past and present culture, as well as several workshops and excursions to surrounding cities. The only downside to the experience as a whole is that my time spent in Sozopol became very captivating and made me forget sometimes that I was earning academic credit for my experience (only joking)!

About Institute for Field Research

The Institute for Field Research (IFR) was created in March 2011 by a group of leading academic archaeologists. Operating as an independent, nonprofit academic organization has allowed us to break down traditional institutional barriers and deliver...