Faculty-Led Speech-Language Pathology Programs

East Carolina Pirates
East Carolina Pirates

Custom programs designed by working directly with universities and led by university faculty. These programs are intended for undergraduate and graduate students ages 18 and up who are interested in pursuing a career in speech-language pathology (speech therapy), audiology or a related field. This is an ideal program for students who want to take advantage of learning from professional American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) accredited speech-language pathologists (SLPs), university faculty, and Therapy Abroad staff to delve deeper into current communication sciences & disorders topics, earn college credit and learn more about global disabilities in resource-dependent areas. Students will gain hands-on experience, professional observation and clinical hours, one-on-one time with SLPs and other professionals, intercultural exchange, a better understanding of global issues, and a chance to help children with special needs and their families.

• Faculty-led programming
  • Hands-On Experience in Communication Sciences
  • Speech-Language Pathology Clinical Hours
  • Speech-Language Pathology Professional Observation Hours
  • Adventure Travel

Dora

Unforgettable Experience!

What an amazing experience! I enjoyed so many things on this trip! One thing I will never forget is the feeling of self-satisfaction by making a difference in Belize. Learning to make quick decisions and being flexible is the key to this program. I am so happy that I was able to get first-hand experience of screenings and treatment. This is a program for you if you want to grow in the field of COMD. The coordinators and co-founder of Therapy Abroad have a lot of knowledge of Belize. They were very encouraging on immersing travelers on the Belizean culture! That was definitely great advice because I was able to get the most out of the trip by doing so. Aside from the program, Belize is filled with nice people and I felt very welcomed. Belize now has a special place in my heart! This is an experience I will never forget.

Speak up. If you are unsure about the itinerary, goals for the day, experiencing culture shock or just not feeling well, say something. There is a lot of support through this program. I have been apart of other abroad programs and this is by far the best one for supporting its travelers!
Kristen

An Experience To Remember!

Being a part of the assessment process and contributing to the evaluations given by administering hearing, speech and/or language screenings gave myself a first-hand look at what our career does along with a valuable experience. A shared goal accompanied by true dedication with like-minded people taught me countless lessons about myself, life in general, communication disorders, what it means to be a speech-language pathologist, culture awareness, diversity, BELIZE, etc. And I cannot forget to mention all the friends and bonds I have made during this trip that I will forever cherish.
Seeing the profession at all different levels: SLP, SLPA, undergrad student's, with the professor's assistance, gave all of us a great insight of how much hard work, dedication, and willingness to exceed expectations is within each of us. Combining the work with fun activities made this trip even better.
This was a one in a life time experience that I will never forget and only solidified the fact that I am in the right and best profession there is!

Experience as much as you can, enjoy yourself, speak up and be open and willing to try all foods, activities, and lessons. I personally kept a journal that included all my notes from meetings, ideas, and a daily journal entry of the day's activities and my corresponding feelings, which I plan to keep as a memory and a reminder of how much good we do in this profession.
Remya

An unforgettable experience

A week in Belize under this facility-led Therapy Abroad program was one of the most memorable weeks I’ve ever experienced. I have so much love for the people I met along this journey, as well as the supportive & brilliant team that made this experience so incredible. We got to go out into city, meet Belizean locals, and offer our services—all while learning their unique stories. These are people who’ve left a forever lasting impression on me. Chad, one of the program directors, did a great job of taking us around to all the best sites and restaurants. We were able to experience such a variety if Belize! Moreover, the final 2 days in Caye Caulker at the end of our trip was the perfect way to end it. Belize now has a very very special place in my heart. I’d 100% recommend this program to anyone!

This program went very well, in my opinion. If there’s anything I could improve, it mi
Yemi

Therapy Abroad to Belize

This was my first time out of the country and it definitely will not be my last. I truly enjoyed the experience and opportunity to learn from my teachers and classmates. I recommend every student with a heart and mind for learning to take the chance of doing a therapy or study abroad trip. You get a chance to have hands on experience outside of the classroom and take what you learned into your career path. My favorite part were the memories I shared with my teachers and fellow classmates. We were all able to comfort and support one another when we were faced with situations, and that allowed us to learn how we can adapt to one another with different personalities and mindsets. We all had to learn to be flexible and be open to the conditions we were faced with, but it allowed us to grow and learn.

My advice to future travelers will be to always have a buddy with you, no matter what. Enjoy the experience with a friend or a classmate that you’ve always wanted to talk and bond. Enjoy every moment and try new foods unless you are allergic to anything. Ask questions and learn new concepts of the area you are in. Always stay hydrated and make memories.
Emily

A great adventure for first-time travelers!

This was my first time leaving the country and I was excited but a little apprehensive. Luckily, I had amazing support from the faculty who came with me and from the Therapy Abroad staff. This program was an incredible stepping stone to my graduate career. I feel so much more prepared to be a graduate clinician because of the challenging experiences I had while in Belize. SLP services are not readily available in Belize, and the infrastructure of the schools reflect that, so we were never doing screenings, evals or treatments in the most ideal conditions, but this really forces you to be creative and use your problem-solving skills. Besides the academic and vocational benefits, the people in Belize were also some of the best that I've ever encountered, and the landscape there is beautiful. I would encourage any SLP student who has the opportunity to do this program, it will change your life!

Sometimes things felt a little unorganized, but I feel like that was the nature of the situation we were in.
Alexa

Great Program

Once in a lifetime experience! I felt safe the whole time, and I knew we were really making a difference. Our patients wouldn't have had a chance to be helped without us. There is only one speech pathologist on the entire island! If you are thinking about going on a similar trip... do it!

To make a structured therapy clinic on a property we control. It was hard being at the whim of the schools and clients because things changed without any warning. Therefore, if we had more control on the environment, we would make even more of a difference!
Leah

Belize Therapy Abroad - Faculty Led Program Review

The itinerary of this Belize program was a perfect blend of clinical hands-on experience and cultural exposure. The clinic sites were brimming with sweet children and friendly staff who were eager to help us get started. I will never forget the children's faces. It was hard to leave the clinical sites, I would have loved to have stayed longer to work with them more. The Belizean people I encountered were truly happy we were there to offer our help. Also, the excursions of the itinerary were educative and highly enriching. Belize is full of history, and it will not disappoint those with special interests in this area of study. I felt completely safe the entire time, and I truly enjoyed the accommodation locations provided. This trip met my expectations and more. I felt challenged but nurtured, and I feel compelled to return to this beautiful place. - The food was wonderful as well!!

My advice is to soak in all of the nuances of this country, which has a unique history all its own. Enjoy the friendliness of the local people, and savor the beautiful backdrop nature provides. Belize is home to a range of wildlife and beautiful jungles. One of the most surprising moments of my trip occurred when I heard the clamorous shrieking of the howler monkeys outside of my hotel room.
Bernice

Best well balanced Study Abroad ever!

The amount of time allotted for work and learning and fun was just right. We had plenty of time to learn and play. I enjoyed working with this wonderful team of my classmates and professors to make a difference in the lives of several children and adults. While doing so many back to back screenings in one sitting was hard, it was exciting to challenge myself and be able to actually practice what I have been preparing to do for 3 years now. I got to work with schoolage children, preschoolers, and the elderly. We were able to do language, hearing, and articulation screenings. Every area was covered during our experience!
We also got to learn all these things in a new cultural context. Through the help of our Belizian staff, Eden, we were able to prepare ourselves with information about dialect and cultural differences between Belizians and Americans.

I wish we were able to do more screenings and evaluations! Maybe 2 more days of therapy work would be good and would not be too overwhelming.
Natalie

Real world learning that happens OUTSIDE of the classroom

Every graduate SLP degree offers academic classes and clinical practicums, and transitioning to the latter can be a struggle. Our Therapy Abroad trip to Belize provided an incredibly valuable opportunity to ease that transition in an extremely supportive and real-world environment. We performed evaluation and treatment sessions rotating through various supervisors. Our mentors had different styles, so we were able to learn something unique from each of them. We also rotated our small teams of 3 so we could also learn from our peers. We received excellent guidance/feedback during the session prep, the session itself, and the report writing afterward. The supervisors who accompanied us were approachable and experienced. My only suggestion for improvement is to provide students with more prep time before sessions to improve the quality of service we provide to clients.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would love to have eaten more Belizean food at the resort we stayed at and perhaps done more hiking/swimming in less touristy spots.
Ellie

ECU Therapy Abroad 2019

I had such an incredible experience on this trip! I grew so much as a clinician and really busted out of my comfort zone. It was really great to work with kids of different cultures to see how important it is to make cultural considerations when providing therapy for them. I had so much fun on all of the weekend activities planned. I think this was a really great way to balance work and fun and was a big reason why I signed up for this trip. I also really enjoyed having Ellen as our coordinator the entire week! She was so fun and knowledgeable about the are. She really made the trip a fun and stress-free experience. Going to Caye Caulker the last weekend of the trip was a really great way to end! The island was so beautiful. I especially enjoyed doing speech and language screenings. The children were super friendly and engaging at the school!

I would maybe just give people a heads up about the hot water situation! Not that this would be a deal breaker for me- but it would have been nice to mentally prepare haha.
Imani

Belize It!

This trip was amazing! The support that was given from the faculty within my program was appreciated. Being able to go to them when I had questions about my education or even just about life was extremely helpful. This trip helped me learn what it could be like in the daily life of an SLP. Furthermore, this trip allowed me to step outside of my comfort zone professionally. Having the faculty and the graduate students there to guide me was awesome. I felt very supported throughout this entire trip.
Ellen was also amazing! Her knowledge of the country helped me feel extremely safe while there. Whenever I had any questions about the people, culture, and even the food, Ellen was always able to answer. Having someone who is familiar with the country with us the entire time is a definite necessity.
If fundraising starts early for next year, I would definitely come back!

I would improve the length of the program. Traveling back to campus the day before classes start has left me feeling very tired. I think if it is going to be done over spring break, a 7 day program would be preferred. Other than that, I truly enjoyed the trip!
Regan

Belize Therapy Abroad Review 2019

I couldn’t have asked for a better therapy abroad experience. The amount of culture and therapy observations I learned was so interesting and exciting. Ellen and Chad were fabulous team leaders that constantly kept us on top of things and made sure everything turned out amazing. My group always felt comfortable and safe with our team leaders. Therapy abroad helped me open my eyes to a bigger picture as continuing my college career. Many countries across the world have very slim therapy resources. What challenges these countries the most is not being aware of the resources available to help people who have speech and language difficulties. To be specific, Belize was very unaware of many interventions to help others. There is only ONE speech pathologist available in Belize and in a country with almost a 400,000 population is bizarre. The culture and upbringing of Belize is unique and because of that receiving therapy or seeming “different” is frowned upon. Thankfully, that is what my program taught me is whenever you are able to help others take the chance no matter how much time or money it requires. Tyke’s camp turned out super cool and fun. I was stationed in the play planning and pretend play which was my number one choice. The amount of items available to us was amazing we didn’t have to buy a single thing everything we needed for the camp was provided for us. Obviously, the choices were small but we worked with what we had and made it happen. I can honestly say my Therapy Abroad experience has led me to fall even more in love with what I plan on doing for the rest of my life. Speech therapy has always been my passion but my involvement with this program has absolutely changed my perspective on life. The services at Monkey Bay were wonderful. I really enjoyed the home cooked meals and I applaud the women whom prepared the meals. They will surely not be forgotten. Monkey Bay was clean and surely made it feel like a second home for my group. What I loved most about my experience is being able to be mentored by graduate students. The graduate students made learning easier for the undergraduate students to grasp. The variety of dialects in Belize was tricky to work with. What amazed me was having the first hand experience of the different phonemes pronounced in one language and not the other. Many of us found this the most challenging to deal with over the course of Tyke’s camp. We really tried our best to put our minds together to help the kids figure out what they needed to focus on the most. After all the observations and evaluations of the children took place we were able to talk about it as a group and everyone could agree that we made sure the kids were having fun and learning at the same time. The kids were so cooperative and sweet. Although, it is too funny the last day we were two campers short and somehow we ended up with five boys. They were a mess but they continued to participate. We provided SOAP notes of each individual kid to the schools and health records because they will not get help until they are referred. I am very grateful for the friendships I have formed because of Therapy Abroad. I feel like each girl got close with one another and no one ever felt left out. The girls will forever be my friends and I say that in the most genuine way possible. My therapy abroad experience will never be forgotten and I hope I will be able to go again next year. I love Belize and the stories behind the culture of the Belizeans. What I do know, is that Belize is a hard working country with the most beautiful people. Every encounter I made with any Belizean was positive. Caye caulker was much different compared to the islands I have been to before. The transportation on the island was golf carts and bikes I had never seen anything like it. We went snorkeling the last day of our trip and I had never been that close to a shark before. Yikes. But it was so cool and I wish I could have my experience all over again. Luckily, I look forward to seeing Chad and Ellen again they didn’t disappoint and I hope everyone loves and appreciates Therapy Abroad. Life changing and unforgettable.

I wouldn't improve much, everything went great. The Therapy Abroad staff was fantastic and you could realize how above and beyond they will go to make sure everything goes well. Therapy Abroad is determined to help students really blossom into who they are supposed to be. Going to Belize made me realize everything I have to offer to the world when it is my time. I cant thank Therapy Abroad enough for helping expand my knowledge on how to becoming the best SLP. The camp went great and it will truly be an unforgettable therapy experience.
Caye Caulker
Lena

Belize Therapy Abroad March 2019

This was my first time out of the country and it was the best experience of my life! I had an amazing time learning about the culture of Belize and applying that knowledge to our field of speech-language pathology. Meeting each child and interacting with them through Tyke's camp was such a fun time and I loved getting to know each one of their personalities. Chad and Ellen did a wonderful job of showing us the country, taking us on fun leisure activities such as cave tubing, zip lining, and snorkeling, and teaching us all they know! Each activity was filled with lots of history and educational information for us to learn! This program is great for any student studying speech-language pathology who wants to get hands-on experience through the eyes of a different culture.

My advice to future travelers would be to get out of your comfort zone and try new things you would have never done before! Push your limits and see how far you go!
Elizabeth

ECU to Belize 2019

I was in Belize with Therapy Abroad for 10 days! We did Tyke's Camp in Belize City and also did screenings at a school in Caye Caulker. This trip was amazing and I learned so much from everyone who went and from Chad and Ellen. I am a junior at East Carolina University so it was an amazing experience to learn from graduate students, professors, and Therapy Abroad staff. It was also a great opportunity for me, as an undergraduate student, to get hands on experience working with kids in the camp and doing screenings. We worked with kids a lot during the week but we also went snorkeling, zip lining, and cave tubing! Belize has so much to offer and Therapy Abroad made sure we got to experience as much as we could during our time there! I really enjoyed my time in Belize and hope to go back one day!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
In Caye Caulker we got to go snorkeling one afternoon and we swam with nurse sharks! It was a lot of fun but I was a little nervous at first because there were so many sharks.
Rosemary

ECU CSDI 2019

As an undergraduate student, this experience was an adventure to remember. If you're going to do this program, be prepared to work all day long. Although it's a lot of work, the experience gained is worth it. Also, be ready to be flexible, especially when working with the children. Despite how prepared you are before Tyke's Camp, situations will come up that you are unable to prepare beforehand. For example, the day before camp, my group was scheduled to receive five children. At 7 pm that evening, the number went up to seven and the day of camp, five kiddos showed up. The second day of camp, seven children walked through the door, and we had to create more supplies for those children. Other challenges you cannot prepare for are the different types of expressive and receptive language disorders you will encounter in the various children.
Throughout the whole program, you have to be able to work on your feet and be ready for anything. I'm so glad I did this program though. I was able to observe assessments, treatments and even participate when testing a child as an undergraduate student. I would definitely come back and do this again if I could.