Thailand & Cambodia Semester with TEAN

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from The Education Abroad Network.

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship 2019

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. The scholarship can be used for any Summer or Fall 2019 TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees, orientation and housing (up to $26,000 value).

Having a tough time deciding between a semester in Thailand or Cambodia? TEAN offers students the unique opportunity to better discover Southeast Asia by splitting their semester with two months spent in Chiang Mai, Thailand and two months in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Participants begin their studies at Chiang Mai University in Thailand, and then travel to Phnom Penh where they're hosted by the University of Cambodia, which emphasizes research-based education, conflict resolution and social responsibility.

The program includes an orientation in Chiang Mai, a five-day stay in a traditional rural Thai village, expert guidance from local TEAN staff, and an array cultural activities that will deepen your understanding and appreciation of these amazing countries. Visit the TEAN website to learn more.

Alexandra

An Amazing Experience

Studying abroad with TEAN was one of the best decisions that I have made in my life. I had been to Thailand previously but TEAN provided me with an experience like no other. I enjoyed all of my classes and learned a lot but the language classes stood out too me for multiple reasons. The professors were encouraging and understood that each student started with a different skill level. Pairing this with the fact that I was able to practice the words I learned in class while buying dinner at the market in Thailand or with my host family in Cambodia helped me learn much more language than I would have otherwise. The academic program was further supported by the trips that we took as a group. TEAN also took us to Krabi, Thailand and Siem Reap, Cambodia which were two of the most beautiful places that I have visited.
Having the opportunity to study in both Thailand and Cambodia helped me learn so much about the local histories and cultures. I was able to compare life in both countries and have many wonderful experiences. Living with a host family in Cambodia helped me see more of the culture than I would have if I had not had the opportunity. It also helped me make a deeper connection with the local community. Even now the friends that I made in Thailand and the family that I joined in Cambodia are present in my life. My experience with TEAN impacted me in so many positive ways and really was life-changing. I would recommend this program to anyone that is interested in studying abroad in Southeast Asia!

Lydia

The Magic of Southeast Asia

Overall, the Education Abroad Network provided everything I wanted out of a study abroad experience. The staff were phenomenal before and during my trip and helped with everything from taking me to doctors to pointing out good restaurants to logistical paperwork help. The other students on the program were great, and the Thai roommates assigned to else helped us acclimate, learn basic language skills, and show us around our new city. The program is structured enough to give you all the support and resources you need to have the most enriching experience but its lenient enough to give you wiggle room in making independent travel plans for spring break or long weekends. TEAN provided several excursions as well such as a tropical weekend beach getaway or a hiking trip in Doi Inthanon. The classes were all eye opening and took often included field trips that tied into what we were studying in class. I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in studying in Southeast Asia.

I ran into some troubles with the cleanliness of the first guesthouse I lived in in Phnom Penh. However, once I gave the TEAN staff my concerns they switched me immediately and my new guesthouse was a perfect location for the rest of my stay. Generally, what I and many other TEAN students have found, is that anything bothering you or any complaint can often be addressed or taken care of rather quickly. TEAN is great about listening to your concerns and helping you find the best solution. This was crucial in my experience as countries such as Thailand and Cambodia can be slightly unpredictable and unanticipated dilemmas do come up.
Asha

A Pleasant Surprise!

My study abroad experience was extremely rewarding because I was so hesitant about going in the first place. People kept me asking me if it was a safe place to go to. That made me nervous about going, but once I got there, I realized everyone was wrong. South east asia is one of the most beautiful, dynamic, safe, cheap, welcoming, regions in the world. The classes we took through Payap University included language, history, politics, and gender and development in the region. All were helpful in our understanding of the people and their culture. The living quarters were a nice contrast since we stayed in dorms with local students in Thailand, and a private apartment in Cambodia. The price was also ideal, since it cost less than a semester at my home institution, Marymount Manhattan College. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to discover a wonderful diverse region of the world.

Libra8822

Thailand & Cambodia: Southeast Asian Comparative Studies Program

I'm going to start off saying that I had the time of my life in Thailand and Cambodia. Everything the administration had planned, such as village stays in Thailand and voyages around Cambodia to see places like the infamous Angkor Wat, were amazing. The classes we took were so interested- Buddhism; Sex & Gender; Thai & Khmer language classes; and more. Outside of the classroom, I made some great friends with the local students and we got to really immerse ourselves in the culture. In Thailand we got to play with tigers, ride elephants, and explore waterfalls. In Cambodia we really got to know the history of the Khmer Rouge and observe how it effected today's society. The cities of Chiang Mai and Phnom Penh are so completely different, but so beautiful in their own ways. During Khmer New Year in Cambodia, we had a week off, so we took advantage and traveled to Vietnam, which was awesome! The people in these countries were so welcoming and excited to have foreigners visiting. Aside from the locals, you also get a chance to meet really interesting backpackers, volunteers, and foreigner teachers from around the world with really interesting stories to tell. The food is insanely delicious, the markets are a lot of fun to go to, and there's always some cool restaurant or bar you end up stumbling upon that is like nothing you've ever been to before. There is not a single thing I would take back from my study abroad experience, and I hope to one day return and travel more around not only Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam, but the rest of the countries in Southeast Asia, as well.

ndavid

An Amazing Experience

Studying abroad in Thailand/Cambodia was the best experience I've ever had. I was able to take amazing classes that helped me compare and contrast the two countries, I was able to partake in homestays to see aspects of the rural culture, and made some of the best friends in my life. I would recommend this program to anyone looking for a new experience outside of the box.

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...