API Study Abroad at PUCV in Valparaiso, Chile

Study Abroad with API in the Heart of Santiago, Chile!
Study Abroad with API in the Heart of Santiago, Chile!
Explore the capital city of Chile with API!
Explore the capital city of Chile with API!
Study Abroad with API in Santiago!
Study Abroad with API in Santiago!

API has partnered with the Pontifícia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (PUCV) to offer students the chance to live and study abroad in Chile. One of Chile's oldest universities, the Pontifícia Universidad is recognized as the leading university in the region of Valparaíso and attracts some of Chile's top students. It enrolls approximately 14,000 students and has 100 programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.

Valparaíso is a bustling city on the Chilean coast that has a very 'Bohemian' flair. It is also only a short bus ride away from Vina del Mar and its renowned beaches, and only two hours from the Chilean capital, Santiago. Students have the opportunity to live with a local host family while studying abroad in Chile.

API Scholarships
API Scholarships and Financial Aid Information

API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.

$250 - $1,000

albirroja

Challenge yourself

During the school year I knew I wanted to study abroad, as many graduates I have talked to along the way said that was the one thing they regret never doing. I was too far into my major, meaning if I went during the school year I'd have to push back graduation by a semester. Luckily, I found out API offers a fantastic summer program that could fulfill my wish.
I chose Chile over Espana and Europe because of expenses. I've also always been more attracted to the Latin culture due to their inviting, homey nature. I knew I wanted to improve my understanding and speaking of the Spanish language, as well as gain a strong sense of an outside culture. API sent me to PUCV in Valparaiso, and I was able to accomplish just that. The host family was fantastic. They were so welcoming, kind and caring. The location was great, very close proximity to not only the university, but also the downtown city, the beach, the malls and shops, the local sports stadium, etc.

Public transportation was great. I was a 2 minute walk from the metro. Taxis, buses, and 'colectivos' (taxis with predetermined routes, meaning much lower cost) literally passed by the doorstep. The highlight, however, is the university. While difficult at times, the classes were a necessary challenge to improve my language skills. The school offers many sport programs that international students are able to join, as well as a gym, weight room, dance/yoga studio, and a computer lab. Off-season classes are taken with international students only. The classes, however, are instructed in Spanish only.

Weekends will be packed with traveling and activities thanks to great on-location API directors. Keep in mind that the work load will be big, and the readings lengthy, but if you really want to boost your language skills and explore a new corner of the world, I recommend this program.

While this is a very minor complaint, the associated cellphone provider company had low quality phones, making reception and clarity of calls suffer. This is irrelevant to anyone with smart phones, however I am not one of those people.