API Study in Valparaiso, Chile

Built upon dozens of steep hillsides overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Valparaíso boasts a labyrinth of streets and cobblestone alleyways, embodying a rich architectural and cultural legacy. Nicknamed “The Jewel of the Pacific”, Valparaíso was declared a UNESCO world heritage site based upon its improvised urban design and unique architecture. Founded in 1536, Valparaíso is not only one of Chile’s most important port cities, but it is also its third largest city. Valparaíso remains a source of inspiration for artists of all types, including the well-known Chilean poet, Pablo Neruda. Students can visit Neruda’s seaside home in Valparaíso, as well as the Chilean Congress. Offering strikingly beautiful views from the top of its numerous hills, it is reminiscent of San Francisco. Valparaíso is a city where students can amble away an afternoon exploring its steep and winding streets, peppered with colored houses and electric lines, and admire the sparkling Pacific Ocean below.

API Scholarships
API Scholarships and Financial Aid Information

API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.

$250 - $1,000

Popular Programs

Valparaiso

API students studying at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (PUCV ) have the option of taking a Spanish language course at the beginning, intermediate or advanced level with other visiting international students, as well as elective coursework in English or Spanish. No minimum study of Spanish is required for Spanish language courses and English electives. Four semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent is required for coursework in Spanish for study abroad students.

valparaiso

Summer program for students who choose to study abroad in Valparaíso in API’s Business Internship Program will complete a credit-bearing internship with a complementary classroom component. Students who wish to complete an additional academic course may do so if time permits for an additional fee.

Valparaíso

Students who choose to study abroad in Valparaíso in API’s Chilean Culture and Spanish Language Program have the opportunity to complete 6 semester credits of language and culture coursework.

albirroja

Challenge yourself

During the school year I knew I wanted to study abroad, as many graduates I have talked to along the way said that was the one thing they regret never doing. I was too far into my major, meaning if I went during the school year I'd have to push back graduation by a semester. Luckily, I found out API offers a fantastic summer program that could fulfill my wish.
I chose Chile over Espana and Europe because of expenses. I've also always been more attracted to the Latin culture due to their inviting, homey nature. I knew I wanted to improve my understanding and speaking of the Spanish language, as well as gain a strong sense of an outside culture. API sent me to PUCV in Valparaiso, and I was able to accomplish just that. The host family was fantastic. They were so welcoming, kind and caring. The location was great, very close proximity to not only the university, but also the downtown city, the beach, the malls and shops, the local sports stadium, etc.

Public transportation was great. I was a 2 minute walk from the metro. Taxis, buses, and 'colectivos' (taxis with predetermined routes, meaning much lower cost) literally passed by the doorstep. The highlight, however, is the university. While difficult at times, the classes were a necessary challenge to improve my language skills. The school offers many sport programs that international students are able to join, as well as a gym, weight room, dance/yoga studio, and a computer lab. Off-season classes are taken with international students only. The classes, however, are instructed in Spanish only.

Weekends will be packed with traveling and activities thanks to great on-location API directors. Keep in mind that the work load will be big, and the readings lengthy, but if you really want to boost your language skills and explore a new corner of the world, I recommend this program.

While this is a very minor complaint, the associated cellphone provider company had low quality phones, making reception and clarity of calls suffer. This is irrelevant to anyone with smart phones, however I am not one of those people.