CAPA Shanghai: Study & Intern Abroad

By CAPA The Global Education Network   Reviews (2)   55% Rating

For thousands of years, Shanghai has been the heart of China’s economy. The fact that this still stands today shows how this “city on the way to the sea” has been successful for generations. If you’re someone who also dreams of continued success in your field, Shanghai will have a lot to offer. Ancient foods, medicines, and rituals abound on every street corner despite the loom of skyscrapers overhead.

Why study abroad with CAPA? We want you to get out of the typical classroom and turn your study abroad city into a place you can learn from. CAPA specializes in helping you customize your experience— from everything to what classes you’re interested in to what kind of housing you’ll live in. Our internships will give you the skillsets you’ll need to succeed in your career. Each of our centers abroad are unique to the places they’re located, and everyone there will help make you feel at home.

Asia › China › Shanghai
Letters of Recommendation
Age Requirement
Visa Requirement
Cost
The program fee includes tuition, housing at East China Normal University, optional internship placement, a transportation pass for the metro and buses, excursions to Beijing and Hangzhou (Fall & Spring only), and Suzhou, insurance, and CAPA services and support.

Rating Values

Sara
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Lebanon Valley College

Sara Urner CAPA Shanghai Review

Overall 8

I was ecstatic to have the chance to study abroad in China the fall of 2015. It was a part of the world that virtually none of my peers at my home institution had been to, and I was looking forward to the challenge of the language barrier as well as the major cultural differences I would face. While I did face several hardships when it came to the dietary change and the often limited resources on the ECNU campus, Shanghai was an incredibly exciting, safe, "foreigner-friendly" city with so much to offer to a young traveler much like myself up for an adventure.

I would say overall improve the living accommodations for the international students, but I don't think that would be very fair or even feasible considering the conditions that the Chinese students had to live with.
Drake
Auburn, AL
Auburn University

Don't set your expectations high

Overall 3

Where to begin? Well, I was a part of the first group that CAPA brought to Shanghai, and it was clear from the beginning that they were unprepared for our arrival. Perhaps it will get better, but perhaps not. The internships offered were uninspiring and did not fit most of our group's desired career paths, even after extensive communication before the program that they would. Don't believe them when they go on and on about their "organic" placement process, because group-of-8 interviews on the second day in China with two companies (with our majors ranging from Finance to Marketing to Chemical Engineering) was anything but organic. Communication was scarce throughout the program, even to the point that we were informed of a typhoon's imminent arrival only 24 hours prior, even though it was at Category 3 hurricane strength. Problems went unsolved and everyone in our group genuinely did not like or trust our group leader. The weather, it must be noted, is awful in Shanghai during the Summer but that is not under CAPA's control. The one bright spot was our university, East China Normal; the university staff and our instructor were great, and I would recommend them, but even that could have been arranged through different means. Take note.

Provider Response

Dear Drake,

Thank you for your valued feedback. We are very disappointed to hear that your time in Shanghai wasn’t the remarkable experience most CAPA students anecdotally report about our study abroad programs. At CAPA, we are committed to providing meaningful study abroad experiences for our students and do our best to match up students with internships that fit not only their interests but also their experiences and career goals. We are taking this review very seriously because we greatly value our students. To this end, we will be looking into the concerns you’ve expressed immediately and will continue to stay in contact with you directly as we work to address these issues.

Best Regards,
The CAPA team

What do you want to get out of your study abroad experience? No matter what, you’ll have to spend some time in the classroom. But what if there were a way to get out into your new city and truly live what you learn?

Welcome to CAPA: The Global Education Network. For over 40 years CAPA has been changing students’ lives by immersing them in various cultures around the world.

Through coursework, internship opportunities, and My Global Education cultural activities you will participate in challenges that excite and inspire you. Enjoy creamy gelato as you learn about the renaissance, or lose yourself in Shakespeare as you recall his words steps from where they were written. However you choose to do it, make your study abroad experience your own, and find yourself in a second home you will never forget.

*While we only accept US students and provide undergraduate credit, some exceptions may apply. Contact a CAPA admissions adviser today to talk about what will work best for you.