CLI: Chinese Immersion Program in Guilin, China

CLI: Chinese Immersion Program in Guilin, China

Immerse yourself in Chinese language and culture with CLI! Located in the picturesque city of Guilin and officially affiliated with Guangxi Normal University (GXNU), CLI provides the premier intensive Mandarin program in China.

The fastest way to reach Mandarin language proficiency is through CLI's immersion program. CLI Immersion includes 20-weekly hours of one-on-one instruction with three highly qualified, unique CLI instructors. One-on-one instruction provides constant student teacher interaction, immediate feedback, and accelerated language learning that is often lacking with large group classes.

In addition to language courses, CLI offers weekly activities and monthly travel excursions, including cooking classes, game nights, tours of Guilin and much more. CLI warmly welcomes you to learn Mandarin Chinese in China!

Asia » China » Guilin
Weekly Activities

Hanne
Monaco

Great environment for studying

I went to study at CLI for 3 weeks. Previously I had been doing self study at home partly with a teacher for two hours a week. I thought that the CLI immersion program was great. I particularly enjoyed the one on one lessons but also liked having three different teachers. My aim was to improve my listening comprehension and my fluency in speaking. I really enjoyed studying at CLI. The teachers are great and very enthusiastic. I will I could have stayed longer.

I think that this is a great program. The only aspect I found disappointing was that the pengyou aspect couldn't get implemented. It was explained that the pengyou candidates were busy at university.

Emily
Australia
Australia

Incredible Experience (PARENT - HOLD)

My two sons attended CLI for a 2 week immersion experience. As one of the boys is just 13 my husband and I decided to go along too. We didn't attend classes, but explored the city of Guilin for 2 weeks. I had reasonably high hopes of CLI, but my expectations were well exceeded. The whole experience was so positive I will be re-booking my children to return in 6 months time. The boys' teachers were patient, professional and fun. Their language learning was really accelerated over a fortnight. It isn't just the lessons, but the whole culture of CLI which is so fantastic. The boys chose to stay on at school every day for many hours playing Chinese games, chatting with the wonderful student interns and enjoying the community aspect of the school. Numerous activities are available to enjoy each week - bowling, visiting a local school etc, and these were great fun. CLI apartment accommodation is first rate - big, roomy, pleasant, and at all times we felt safe and secure. The city of Guilin is charming, deliciious cheap and safe-to-eat food, excellent public transport and everything you might need in the shops. When one of us had a small medical issue CLI helped us enormously by sending a student intern to help with translation.
We were picked up from the airport, dropped off at the station, welcomed, farewelled - honestly it was just exceptional. I couldn't recommend CLI more highly.

Kit
London

Immersive language course

I spent 4 weeks in Guilin at CLI, and cannot imagine a better experience for improving my Chinese. Having previously self studied Mandarin for 2 years, I was a potentially difficult student as I had a reading ability and vocabulary way above my speaking level. However, my teachers were extremely helpful and able to adapt to my needs so that my Chinese speaking progressed rapidly.

The service was very professional and the language school is a relaxing environment to study or relax. Particularly valuable were the many opportunities to speak to and make friends with native speakers, whether during lunch, activities, or talking to the language school's interns who are always around. Guilin is also a pleasant city with a relaxed environment, good air quality and relatively few locals who speak English, encouraging you to use your Chinese.

I genuinely would recommend CLI to anyone who wants to learn Mandarin and has the opportunity to do so in China.

Dan
London

My two weeks in Guilin

I came to Guilin with the goal of getting a lot done in a very short span of time. I did not go away disappointed. CLI does a great job, even for those only staying for a short spell, of sweeping away most distractions so students can concentrate on improving language skills. As I said at my farewell dinner, I was most impressed at the dedication of the teachers, which ensured I came to class as well prepared as I could be. In my view, nothing substitutes for one-to-one engagement between student and teacher. On top of that, having three teachers gives real depth to the instruction. Well done CLI!

I didn't witness any obvious weak spots during my two weeks at CLI.

Peter
Ireland

Best value learning experience ever

The learning experience at CLI is second to none. I have been to CLI twice now and will return again as soon as I have time. My first stay was for 3 weeks when I learned all the basic tourist Chinese that I needed to get around China on my own. The second time I went back for 7 weeks and I am hoping to return next year for a few months in pursuit of my goal to become fluent! With 4 hours of one-to-one lessons everyday and numerous other opportunities to learn such as during meal times and evening/weekend activities my level of Chinese progressed very quickly. I don't think there is a faster way to learn a language. But the best part of CLI is not actually the speed at which you can learn it is the atmosphere both at CLI and in Guilin. Guilin is a very beautiful and friendly city which I have visited many times and being at CLI is like having a second family in China. You will never be short of company or things to do while at CLI!

Scott
Arizona

CLI is the real deal!

After taking one year of Mandarin at a local community college in the U.S.A. I was looking for the next step. After researching a number of options, I decided to attend CLI's immersion program in Guilin. As this was my first time traveling overseas, I was very careful about selecting a program. After reading CLI's website, scouring the web for feedback, and speaking with a person at CLI, it all sounded to good to be true. I thought it was unusual that I could not find one negative comment about this school. Anyway, I decided to give it a try. The registration/pre-departure process was extremely organized and helpful. In no time, I had all my questions answered, had assistance with applying for my Visa, and was provided with very informative pre-departure checklists and information. I decided on taking 6 weeks of classes at CLI. You can read about the details of how this works on their website. I was assured that even though my flight arrived at around 1 am in Guilin, I would be met by someone with a CLI sign at the airport and they would bring me to CLI. Even though my flight was a couple hours late, CLI made good on their promise and someone was waiting for me and drove me to CLI. It was after 3 am when I arrived there. Two interns were waiting for me at CLI, escorted me to my room and provided me with all the necessities and information I needed to get through my first day. Even though I had first year Chinese under my belt, I was really not confident that I could carry on a conversation before coming to CLI so I was happy to find out that the interns and pretty much everyone at CLI could communicate with me in English if there was a need. Having local college interns work at CLI is genius. It was like I was in this protective bubble until I felt comfortable going outside on my own. They escorted me outside to show me places to eat, helped me find an ATM, and a store to get started with some daily necessities. As time went on, I met many interns. Not only did they help me adapt to life in China, they helped me when I needed assistance after hours with my homework/study. They were there for me to practice listening, and speaking as I interacted with them, and they quickly became my friends.

I lived at CLI and attended two 2-hour one-on-one sessions per day, five days per week. I had three teachers. I met with my comprehensive teacher every day. I was with my conversation teacher 3 times per week and my reading/writing teacher the other 2 days per week. They customized my classes based on assessing my level on the first day and also discussing my goals with me for this trip. All three of my teachers were awesome! They were all extremely good teachers and each did their part in contributing to my Chinese education. I am 54 years old, have a horrible memory and therefore I think I have to put a lot more time into learning than most people do. I have also never learned another language before. Everyone was extremely patient and understanding with me. I spent a great deal of time outside of class doing my homework and studying. I had no illusions about becoming fluent in just 6 weeks. My goal was to be able to carry on a basic conversation with a Chinese native speaker by the time my six weeks was over. With the help of my teachers, the interns, other students at CLI, and a great deal of studying, I was able to reach and exceed my goal. If it is possible, I would recommend staying at CLI for a longer duration. Many students stay for 4 months to 1 year. Even though that was not possible for me, I found my six weeks of intensive study was greatly valuable and I plan on returning to CLI in the future.

In addition to my daily classes, CLI has a large number of organized activities to choose from most evenings and weekends. I participated in a number of activities, including several weekend excursions and even one that included an overnight stay. These activities and excursions were awesome. I had a great time sightseeing and making friends with other students and CLI staff who also participated. Guilin is one of the most beautiful and Scenic places I have every been to.

I chose to purchase all of my weekday lunches in advance (meal plan). This is basically having a home-cooked at CLI for lunch every weekday! The two ladies who cooked these meals for us are amazing cooks! I had a lot of good food during my stay in China. The lunches were as good or better than even the best restaurants that I frequented.

My stay at CLI flew by. Before I knew it was time to go. I learned a great deal, made many friends (who I continue to communicate with now that I am home), and had a remarkable experience that I will never forget.

I mentioned before that when I was doing my initial research it all seemed to good to be true. Well, I can tell you that not only was my experience everything I read about and was told about, it was much much more!

Nancy
New York, New York

CLI is great for younger teenagers too!

This is a review for the moms that are wondering if it is safe and comfortable to send their teenage children to CLI. My 14 year old son just returned after spending three weeks at CLI. He not only came back jabbering away in Mandarin, he had the most amazing stories to tell about the school and his overall experience there.

CLI makes sure that your kids are attended to and safe at all times. They are picked up at the airport, settled into their housing, and watched over during the period that they are there. If you want even stricter supervision, them you can put them to stay with a host family instead of the dorm, and then you know that they are back at home every night at a certain time.

What made this so easy to do is the ability to communicate with your kids at all time. It is not like sending them on a teen tour, where they need to hand over their phones, and can only call on designated days, We were able to speak with our son every morning and every night by Skype, and see everything that was going on with him even though he was on the other side of the world.

The school is incredible and the way that they work their 1 on 1 lessons are second to none. I also liked the blend of social activities with studying. My son made tons of friends at the school, yet he was really immersed in Chinese culture.

Philip
Tokyo, Japan

Probably the best Chinese language school in all of China

I have attended two other language schools in China, one in Beijing and one in the north-east of China. Both were good experiences, but CLI stands out as so much better.

Everyone at CLI is enthusiastic and professional. The admissions process runs smoothly on-line. When you arrive at in Guilin the school will meet you at the airport or train station. They will take you to a welcome dinner. On your first day of school, they will give you a comprehensive orientation session. Most evenings and every weekend there is an activity.

The teachers are also outstanding. They are all highly trained professionals and their one-on-one instruction is the most efficient and effective way to learn Chinese.

Finally Guilin is one of the nicest places in China. The city is picturesque and easy going. Weekend excursions will take you to some breathtaking world-famous scenery.

Michael
San Francisco

Great 1 month experience T CLI

I spent one month this fall at CLI and had an excellent time. I had a home stay which was also a great experience. What sets CLI apart is it's community feel. I had opportunities to practice Chinese all day at the school building with interns, teachers, and other students. Everyone in involved in the program was friendly and willing to stop and help you practice.

I highly recommend the program

Thanks
Mike Kehoe

Shelly
Indonesia
University of Melbourne

Would love to go again!

Guilin was a great experience except for the cold weather and rain. Food was cheap and good! The teachers and interns and fellow students were warm and friendly. The classes were great because of the one on one attention which makes it easier to progress quicker.

I didn't have good impression of Chinese food in China and didn't particularly look forward to it, but the eating experience in Guilin was really a highlight! Making new friends with the interns and other students were also very memorable.

I would love to go again for longer period!

My bedroom was too cold...

Babar
Washington, D.C.
College of William and Mary

The Best Way to Study in China

I wanted to learn Mandarin and study in China, but the big cities were way too much for me. CLI and Guilin were perfect. I fell in love with the place, and had a comfortable environment in which to learn about the country.

Not a lot to do in Guilin, for better or worse.

TheNHLisBack730
Virginia
Virginia Tech

CLI is the perfect language learning provider

CLI has a fantastic learning compound where students take class and live alongside their Chinese teachers. This gives students countless opportunities to keep learning even outside of the classroom. The sense of community at CLI is astounding and their one-on-one teaching style enables the teachers to really tailor the lesson to the student, which is extremely important when learning a language like Mandarin.

Jason Rodgers
Jason
Arlington, VA
College of William and Mary

If you want to study in China, give CLI your money now. Seriously.

I could not speak a word of Chinese before arriving in Guilin. After a few weeks of one-on-one lessons with their awesome English-fluent teachers, wo xian zai hui shuo zhong wen! :)

Land-before-time-type beautiful city in the mountains, friendly, welcoming, curious residents, just THE perfect experience to study in China if you don't want the madness of Shanghai or Beijing.

Cannot recommend highly enough. 10/10

Not much nightlife in Guilin, but that's not CLI's fault.

The Chinese Language Institute (CLI) is an innovative language and cultural center located in Guilin, China. Housed in its own 5-story language learning center and officially affiliated with Guangxi Normal University, CLI offers the fastest track to mandarin language proficiency through one-on-one training, constant interaction