TEAN: Study Abroad in Shanghai, China

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

Live and study in Shanghai - the center of China's economic growth and development. This dynamic city offers something for everyone: ancient history, international business, art and culture, incredible dining, nightlife, shopping and much more. TEAN has partnered with the prestigious Fudan University and The University of Virginia (UVA) to offer students an unforgettable study abroad experience with an emphasis on studying Chinese.

Both semester-long and 4-week summer programs are available. Each include a TEAN orientation program in Shanghai, guided cultural activities, an excursion to Beijing for semester students, and on-site staff to provide assistance throughout your stay. Explore China with TEAN as your guide - check our website for more info!

Gianna

Summer in Shanghai!

I didn't know what to expect when I signed up for this abroad program, but TEAN was with me every single step of the way. They answered my thousands of emails and even held a small video conference to address any concerns predeparture. When we arrived, a local grad student picked us up at the airport and showed us to our incredibly nice apartments. The local TEAN staff showed us around the city and helped us get all settled in. Honestly, without TEAN's orientation, the transition would have been pretty rough. TEAN staff even held a meeting halfway through the program just to check in on us. I got to explore many unique places, like Hangzhou, Tong Li, and Beijin, too. I made friends from around the globe that I still keep in touch with. In fact, we're planning a reunion trip soon! This was definitely the experience of a lifetime.

The only tweak I would recommend is for Fudan University to be a bit more organized. When registering for classes, not all of the times on the schedule were accurate, and my classroom got moved around a couple of times throughout the summer. This was only the second year that Fudan had been offering this program though, so some bugs were to be expected.
Elizabeth

TEAN in Shanghai is Amazing and Excellent Choice

My experience with TEAN for my study abroad experience was wonderful. They provided wonderful support during my application process and swiftly answered any and all questions I had making me seem very at ease with this generally slightly stressful process. While in China, they provided wonderful on ground support where I felt at ease in reaching out for any assistance I needed. The apartment was lovely and beautiful to live in. It allowed me easy access to explore local Shanghai culture as well as explore other parts of the city as well. The excursions were also great for my culturally learning as I was exposed to truly unique experiences such as hiking the Great Wall of China before the sun rose when there was absolutely not another soul in sight besides our own group. These types of moments and memories are ones that I will never forget and are ones that I would have never had had it not been for TEAN.

Claire

10/10 would recommend

TEAN made the study abroad process as easy and painless as possible. The staff was very patient and helpful with any questions and concerns I had before leaving. I had nothing but good interactions with everyone in TEAN. They made sure we settled into our host country by taking us to get a SIM card, bank account, class registration and even an internship if you wanted one. Orientation before school was a lot of fun and gives you the chance to make friends right at the beginning of the semester. The friends I made and the experiences I had were the unforgettable and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

TEAN's housing was unreal and was in an amazing location. I will probably never live in a place as nice as the apartments they set us up in. There were plenty of food and cafes around the apartment that were perfect for hanging out with friends and studying.

While I was in China, I traveled with TEAN to Beijing and Chengdu. Both trips were expertly planned, and we were able to see most of the cities in a weekend. We did a sunrise hike on the Great Wall and explored the art district in the city. These trips were definitely a highlight of the semester

If you have the chance to go abroad, go with TEAN. 10/10 would recommend.

Julia

Studying Abroad in Shanghai? TEAN is a MUST!!

I studied abroad in Shanghai this past spring semester, and I absolutely LOVED IT--it was one of the most valuable and thrilling experiences of my life. Shanghai offers a unique combination of cultural history and rapid modernization. Each day in Shanghai, there was something new to explore; I wish I could spend another semester there!

What made the experience truly over the top was deciding to go with The Education Abroad Network. From my first interest email to help choosing classes in Shanghai to showing me around the city to now requesting Fudan University transcripts, TEAN has been there to help me out every step of the way. TEAN, in partnership with UVA, also offers a unique Chinese language program that is limited to students in the program, so classes are only about 5 people. When we went back to our apartment, we could practice what we’d learned with our local Chinese roommate. We lived in an incredible TEAN apartment that was perfectly located between Fudan University and the metro station, which connected us to the rest of Shanghai. Some of my favorite memories, including hiking the Great Wall at sunrise and eating famous spicy hotpot in Chengdu, were thanks to the TEAN organized trips. Going abroad, especially to China, can be a little nerve-wracking, but TEAN staff made me feel prepared and supported throughout the whole process.

Living in Shanghai challenged me to step outside my comfort zone and explore somewhere new. I had the opportunity to study at one of the top universities in China, practice my Mandarin on a daily basis, immerse myself in a completely different culture, and develop friendships with people from all around the world. However, transitioning to a new place does not come without its challenges, which is why I am so grateful to have gone abroad with TEAN, whose staff was there to help me every step of the way. During my time abroad, Shanghai truly became my home and the TEAN students and staff became my family.

HyunJi

A Thrilling Ride in Shanghai

My experience in China is one I will never forget! From the friends and peers I met to the epic and legendary sightseeing attractions, China is the place to go study abroad! Throughout the four months, TEAN has helped me greatly whether it was helping me search for a new tourist attraction or simply telling me about a delicious local restaurant. My favorite restaurant is the dim sum place on Da Xue Lu; the restaurant offers a variety of different dishes at reasonable prices! Aside from all the yummy treats and dishes I have eaten, I have discovered milk tea bubble tea and have drank that drink almost everyday! Although there are franchises here in the US, the drink does not taste the same! If you stumble upon Yi Dian Dian, I recommend you purchase a drink from there! It is my favorite place to buy milk tea bubble tea! Other than going on food tours, I have made unforgettable memories in China and made friends with whom I continue to keep in touch with til today! I will definitely go back to China again in the near future!!

TEAN has been my family during my semester in China! This program is awesome!
Alexandra

Missing Shanghai already!

My time in Shanghai was incredible, and TEAN had so much to do with that! I loved the experience, and I miss it so much! Fudan was an amazing place to learn at, and I really came to understand more about China as a whole. I loved being able to explore a city as big as Shanghai, and I wish that I could go back sometime soon! The TEAN staff in Shanghai were beyond helpful, and they made sure that we were capable of getting around the city ourselves. I was really happy with everything that TEAN did, and I could not suggest this study abroad enough!

Frederick

No Regrets

Going abroad with TEAN was a decision that I will never regret in my entire life. It was the first time that I had studied abroad and I cannot imagine going abroad because of the type of experience they helped me discover. Shanghai is a special place that I now hold very near and dear to my heart even if I was only there for a short amount of time. I made friendships from around the world that I know will last a lifetime. Seeing everything in person rather than in photographs such as the Bundt, the Pearl Tower, Yu Garden, and Shanghai Disney was so surreal and I still sometimes cannot believe that I actually went there. Lastly, Fudan University deserves all the praise it has been receiving as a place for higher education. It pushed me to work better in groups, work outside my comfort zone, and to think outside the box. If these are the kind of experiences that you are looking for in a study abroad experience then TEAN is the program for you!

I don't have any real complaints towards the program but if I were to recommend an improvement, it would be for the program to let the applicants know about the visa process as early on as possible.
Chan

Fantastic and Beyond

My experience with TEAN in Shanghai is beyond word. It was the best decision I have made and it was the best summer I have had. I left Shanghai richer in knowledge and wiser. I made lifelong friends from around the world and built so many connections that I cannot count it all. With 13 other TEAN students, we bonded and grew up together only within a month. We became family, we traveled together, climbed the Great Wall of China, ate local food (which we were told not to), tried every excursion that were available for us. The staffs were purely amazing, friendly, and helpful. Not only they were there to help me with everything (from using the washer to extending my visa), they showed me Shanghai and became my friends as well. I have learned so much about myself, the culture, and most importantly, I have developed strong communication and survival skills. This was my first time in China and not knowing the language was terrifying at first for me; however, TEAN made everything so much smoother and I blended right in.
Fudan University is a great university. The facility is beautiful and very secured. All classes besides the language ones are taught in English, the teachers are very nice and understanding. Although the courses can be a bit intensive, it is worthwhile.
I could go all day about how amazing this trip was but it’s always better to feel it yourself. I highly recommend this program to everyone, it truly changed my life and I know for sure it will change yours too.

Katharina

A Dive into China

I loved my experience with TEAN in China. It was the best decision I made for visiting China for the very first time. The staff was super helpful and we had a blast both during the orientation and while being on excursions. We grew together as a group so much and made memories that will last forever from yodeling on top of the great wall to having Chinese hot pot with our language teacher. It was amazing to experience Shanghai up close and engage with different local and international students at Fudan University. We learned a lot about China and the Chinese people, but also created contacts with some many other people from different cultures. I was especially lucky to become close friends with local students who took me home with them and showed me their way of life. Making local friends was probably the greatest experience of my awesome adventure. Right after that comes traveling both with the TEAN group but also alone. It was fascinating to see Beijing and Inner Mongolia with a guided tour since we had such an easy time getting around and learned so much. But also really enjoyed my trip alone to Xi'an. But through out the entire time TEAN was always very helpful and there was not a problem we couldn't solve fast and easily. I would very much recommend going to China with TEAN.

Juleon

Deep in the East

As a returning student and traveler to Shanghai, China I can only reflect back on so many highlights of my trip. From traveling to attractions such as the great wall to just exploring the community where a resided in the Yangpu district. It was eye opening to see so many different features of life in person such as the architecture, culture, geography and lifestyle. At first I was a bit apprehensive about how my experience would unfold because of the my uncertainty. I asked myself if the cultural adjustment would be to great, notably things like the language and customs. Then after awhile, I grew more comfortable and confident being out on my own because I started to become really familiar with my surroundings and I could fulfill the day to day agendas I planned.

Fudan, was a great university to attend especially because it was very laid-back, but also very intense. Being a international I feel like one worry we share going into a traveling experience is the depth of the education we'll receive abroad. Fudan provided a huge amount of resources but it was interesting to explore a whole school database written in another language.

I can't stress enough how much TEAN has contributed to my experience with the inclusions and 360 degree support from start to finish. Highly recommend choosing to travel with them.

TEAN had many pros and very little cons, but the most notable thing that I wish could have been improved was directory to some traveling attractions all over Mainland China. I felt it was hard at times to figure out where to go in that did not include the inclusion trips offered which we amazing, but perhaps more information provided on local museums, volunteer centers, etc.
Frany

A worthy Investment

Choosing TEAN as my program provider for my semester abroad was the best decision I made. From the start of my application process through the end of my semester, I received help with everything I needed.

Academics: Due to my major, I took a lot of businesses classes and one beginner Chinese class to help me immerse myself within the culture. I had classes with many students from across the globe! The classes weren't too hard or too easy. You should be fine as long as you study and take notes.

Housing: I lived in an off-campus apartment five minutes away from Fudan. I found the location perfect because It was close enough to school and still in the center of the social scene. There were many restaurants and bars on the streets I lived on and a metro stop nearby if I wanted to go to other parts of the city.

Staff: The on-site resident director helped us with everything we needed. Responded to our questions in less than 24 hours! You don't realize how beneficial this is until you need help.

Social: There is ALWAYS something to do in Shanghai! You'd have to try really hard to be bored. Smart Shanghai is a great website resource to find things to do!

N/A
Ling

Best experience of my entire existence

My time in China was enriching to my soul, and food to my hunger for adventure. I was able to diverge myself into the local culture, along with flying off to neighboring countries to explore and compare different Asian cultures amongst one another, while attending classes. Shanghai is a beautiful province with a population of 23 million people. Its undergone enormous changes this past few decades, but its still managed to hold onto its cultural identity. The location and scope of the city is modern enough to be comfortable, but different in a sense that your in China! I would do it all over again with no hesitation.

Johanna

Take me back!

Shanghai is the largest and fasted growing city in the world. Between the hundreds of restaurants, museums, clubs, bars, KTV studios etc. there is always something to do. From the skyscrapers that line the huangpu river, to the several temples scattered throughout the city, Shanghai has a perfect mix of authentic chinese history and modern innovation. Fudan is one of the top universities in China with classes taught both in English and Chinese and attracts students from all over the world. TEAN enrolls its students directly into the history department at Fudan allowing them to choose from a vast number of courses. This was an important deciding factor for me when choosing a program as I wanted the freedom to choose my own courses. Although there is much to do in Shanghai, my favorite perk of the TEAN program was its excursions. Included in the program fee was a trip to Beijing and the great wall, as well as a trip to the desert in Inner mongolia. I will never forget the beautiful view from our sunrise hike on the jinshanling section of the great wall or our camel ride across the sand dunes. Throughout the semester the resident director in Shanghai also organized several events for us including program dinners, chinese painting classes, volunteer work with local organizations, and more. Our resident director was available to us at all times and helped us with any concerns imaginable. On top of that TEAN also offers students to live with a local Chinese roommate, which is a tremendous advantage as you get a glimpse in to the life of a chinese college student, as well as a ton of help. All in all I wouldn't have changed a thing about my experience in China, and I am so glad that I went with TEAN!

Chinaforlife

Take me back!

This semester was the most exciting I spent so far in my college life!
As for day to day experience, you live in an apartment a few minutes from campus, Chinese restaurants, a huge mall, walmart, and lots of street food places. The campus is very international with people from all around the world as well as Chinese students genuinely interested in western cultures. Shanghai is an amazing city with lots of things to do and to discover and very different architectures.

Highlights of the program:

-TEAN basically plans everything for you, so you arrive to China and just need to concentrate on visiting and your academics (sounds hard right?)
-The TEAN trips were definitely THE thing that made me chose the program. They were amazing, very well organized, great housing, and definitely showing you what you had to see in each city
-Health Insurance coverage: I got some medical problems and the staff there was incredibly helpful, going with me to the hospital + the insurance covers everything it's amazing

Difficulties: Refraining from eating huge amounts of street food on a daily basis

Kelly

TEAN is what you're looking for.

I truly think that every student should study abroad sometime during their undergrad. Tackling a new language, experiencing a new culture, seeing famous & historical sites, meeting friends from far away places, and tasting different cuisines while traveling become your favorite memories. TEAN was the perfect choice for me- having their support, especially in a country as distant as China, was essential to making the process smooth and carefree. Also, the excursions they include in the package are awesome and would be incredibly difficult to pull off by yourself. For anyone looking to study abroad in China, TEAN in Shanghai is definitely the way to go.

Any issues I had were resolved!

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...