API at the ICDS in San Jose, Costa Rica

API Students in Costa Rica
API Students in Costa Rica
Costa Rican flowers
Costa Rican flowers

Come explore San José with the bright urban center of a country filled with beautiful nature, kind people, and authentic cultural experiences!

API is proud to offer this unique study program at the International Center for Development Studies (ICDS) in San Jose, Costa Rica. Students will take courses in both English and Spanish with other American study abroad students on the campus of the Universidad Latina, Costa Rica’s largest private university. The campus is located northeast of downtown in an area of San José known as Lourdes de Montes de Oca. With its modern facilities, advanced equipment, and experienced and efficient staff, the Universidad Latina provides the perfect learning environment for the ICDS programs.

Students will also have the opportunity to live with a local host family and really immerse themselves in Latin American culture. API students may also serve as volunteers with a local organization.

API Scholarships
API Scholarships and Financial Aid Information

API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.

$250 - $1,000

Aspen

Great experiences while learning about sustainability!!

I really liked this program because it was a smaller group of people. This allowed me to truly get to know all the people on my program and have positive relationships with the professors. For some of the classes, the professors took our group on field trips to see what we were learning in class, in real life. I really appreciated learning sustainability from a different country perspective and learning about issues Costa Rica faces. The city of San Jose was very manageable. It was not too big so you could easily navigate it but also find cool little neighborhoods with cute cafés and shops. San José was great for traveling out of because it is the capital and also located in the middle of the country. I was able to buy cheap bus tickets to anywhere in the country very easily. Additionally, I felt very safe when traveling in Costa Rica because the locals are very nice and helpful. They are also very patient when you are trying to practice your Spanish. I think the most helpful thing was having program directors on sight in San José. They were API employees but from the area. My program directors helped us with anything we needed, plus they were so knowledgable about the country and its history. I would have lunch with them every other week and they would just check and give us recommendations if we wanted to travel somewhere. They made all of us feel so at home. Overall, a wonderful program.

I would like to have less time in class during the day. I wish I could have explored more of the city during the day but I was in class. I also wish there were more resources for ICDS students to connect and become friends with local students.

Location:
Jul-Sep
88 F / 73 F
Oct-Dec
86 F / 73 F

Costa Rica is known for its Pura Vida lifestyle and San José is a great place to get familiar with the lifestyle. One of the best ways to discover San José is through the arts; whether you like theatre, dance, or music, this is the quickest way to the heart of Costa Rica.

About API

College students may study abroad with API in over two dozen countries across Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East. With a wide variety of courses offered in almost every major discipline and in various languages of instruction, it is...