API Study Abroad Program at the Universidad de Sevilla, Spain

API Study Abroad Program at the Universidad de Sevilla, Spain

Study art, fashion, and design at Parsons Paris this summer with API!

Calling all fashion-lovers, artists, and designers! API’s program with Parsons Paris is now accepting Summer 2018 applications. API offers Parsons Paris college summer and pre-college summer programs as well as unique traveling summer programs. There’s an option for all - from high school students to adult learners. API includes cultural activities and daytrips to introduce participants to French culture and the Parisian lifestyle.

Academic Programs International (API) invites you to come study abroad in Spain at the Universidad de Sevilla! Founded in 1502, the University of Seville has a great wealth of history in itself, but placed in a beautiful city filled with Moorish architecture and friendly local Spaniards, you can't go wrong!

API offers two semester-long programs through the university: Contemporary Hispanic Studies and Spanish Language and Humanities. Don't hesitate! Take advantage of these great programs with this great provider.

Check out the program's alumni interviews and reviews. Click on the "Visit Our Website" link above for more information today!

Art History
Latin American Studies
Middle Eastern Studies
High School Diploma
Some Meals
Letters of Recommendation

Academic Year in Seville

I studied abroad in Seville, Spain with Academic Programs International for the 2016-2017 academic year. This program stood out to me because of the options to take both courses in Spanish and in English, live with a host family, and the included excursions! The program began in Madrid with an orientation, and the program staff was very helpful and informative. We left Madrid and went to Toledo, El Escorial, and Cordoba on our way to Seville by bus. This beginning orientation was a great way to become acquainted with the other students in the program, and see more of Spain than you maybe would on your own.

Universidad de Sevilla is a centrally located university in Seville, and it's close to many shops, restaurants, and historical sites. I was able to take some traditional and non-traditional courses, and received credit for all of them. My favorite classes included Painting in Literary Seville, a water color class, and Literatura y Cocina, a combined literary and cooking class. I also took some incredible history courses that actually involved a lot of time outside of the classroom, at historical sites and museums in and around Seville. I think that the classes were challenging in that many of them were long lectures entirely in Spanish, but the workload was very manageable.

I chose to live with a host family in Seville, and I think that this really added to my overall experience. My family consisted of a host mom, a host grandmother, and a host uncle. I also had an American roommate, another student from API. The family provided all of our meals, and also provided a lot of helpful information about the city. If you are looking to really improve your Spanish, choosing to live with a host family is the way to do it! I ate most of my meals at home, which meant a lot of my time was spent in Spanish conversation with my host mom.

My favorite aspect of my program with API was the availability of such incredible excursions, all included in the program! This is something that really sets API programs apart from other program providers. I was able to see and experience so many things in my host country that I know I would not have even known about otherwise. My favorite excursions include a trip to Extremadura, where we hiked 13 miles to the Our Lady of Guadalupe Monastery, and a trip to Aracena to make bread. The international excursions were incredible as well, and during the 2016-2017 year we went on an excursion to Paris and to Lisbon. Although the excursions are constantly changing, no matter where you go with API, you'll have an incredible time.

If you are considering studying abroad in Spain, Seville is a lively, warm city with close proximity to an airport, which is important if you are planning to travel during your time abroad! I looked at many of API's programs in Spain, but the proximity of an airport was a deciding factor for me, as well as the size of the city. Seville has a population of about 700,000, which means that you'll never run out of things to do or see. The excursions and affordability of API's programs in particular really sold me, and I'm so glad that I made the decision I did! Having the ability to take a wide variety of courses in both English and Spanish also helped me to find credits that would transfer to my home university. I was able to finish my Spanish minor at the Universidad de Sevilla, and am now participating in the Global Leadership Academy through API, to continue integrating international experience into my final year at my home university. I could not recommend studying abroad with API more!

The only downside I experienced to my program was the low numbers of students who studied for the academic year, but this is something that you would encounter at most study abroad programs. I think that if I would do it again, I would maybe have chosen to study in two different cities in Spain with API, one each semester. I think that it can be difficult to make friends with the new student arrivals your second semester, as you are much more integrated into the host city than they are, and it would have been a great opportunity to experience different parts of the country.

Sevilla... Amazing!!

-API included many excursions within Spain and northern Africa. Don't skip any of them, for they are all worth the trips.

-Get of out of your comfort zone and explore when possible.

-Getting into the Spanish "siesta cycle" is easy. Try not to give in, but instead use that valuable time to explore and experience the city.

The only minor issue I can think of is transportation. I don't mind walking, but helping students receive any type of transportation discounts like bike rentals, would really help. Discounts to bike rentals would benefit students by giving the opportunity to experience the whole city.

API Sevilla, Spain was amazing. I had the best host mother in a residencia, and the classes at my school were with other study abroad students but taught by Spanish professors. The whole experience was amazing, we went on trips, had thanksgiving dinner, and many other fun activities throughout the city during our semester. The staff is absolutely dedicated to every student, and the program size was manageable, only about 20 students, the perfect size as far as Im concerned.

API Sevilla -- Do it.

I had originally chosen API because it was the most affordable study abroad program that I could find in Sevilla. However, that did not stop them from offering an inclusive, cultural program that would be very difficult to beat.

My experience in Spring 2012 was overall very positive, and I'll list some of the highlights, as well as some of my not-so-positive experiences:

1) Excursions - we were given tours of Madrid, Toledo, a bike tour of Sevilla when we arrived, Granada, Cadiz, Extremadura, Portugal, and probably more that I'm forgetting at the moment. Not only were these tours wonderful, informative, and intimate, but we were given great hotels to stay at (a monastery from the 1400's was my favorite), but we were essentially shown a side of Spain that we would have never seen from an insider's point of view.

2) Staff - API hires wonderful, caring people to work with us, and I was very impressed with them. They helped us plan trips, find churches, and gave us candid advice.

3) Housing - It was both a good and challenging experience for me. I chose a host family stay, and I was well-fed and cared for. My mom was a fabulous cook! I did struggle a bit with her timetable; my mother wanted me home at certain times for meals, and it was hard to do so with all of the activities going on. However, overall it was very good. API was very eager to make sure that we had good housing; some of my friends disliked their situations and were able to find better accommodations with API's help.

4) Academics - I took classes in Spanish but with Americans, and that is probably my biggest regret. The classes were good, and I learned quite a bit, but my Spanish would have improved so much more had I taken the classes with Spaniards option. I'd encourage anyone to do that.

Overall, a fabulous experience.

More availability and flexibility of classes with Spaniards; I couldn't enroll in that option because I could not finish my degree in time, due to a lack of options.

API is the best

I would absolutely recommend API to anyone looking into studying abroad. From the very first day when you land in your host country the staff is ready to help you transition into your new life, and on all the excursions the group leaders were incredibly knowledgeable about every place that we visited. My group leader would even usually point out good restaurants and sites to visit on our free time in all out cities and sometimes would even purchase a small treat for our whole group so that we could get a taste of the truly local flavor. And this program is absolutely the best value when you take into consideration how many trips you get to take for about the same amount of money as most other programs. Studying abroad was the best decision I have ever made and the best experience I have ever had and I think I owe a great deal of that to API.

I think the only thing that really bothered me was that my roommates and I were disappointed in the food our house mother fed us. We felt that what we were being served didn't reflect what we were paying for and our diet was often times lacking nutrients. All in all it wasn't much of a sacrifice when we were given such amazing opportunities and experiences otherwise.

I found my 2nd home in Sevilla

A.P.I. helped me adapt to the life and culture in Spain. They placed with a fantastic host family in Sevilla, who had a daughter around my age. I met friends there who are just as close to me as my friends at home and one came to visit me in the U.S. Thanks to A.P.I. I feel like my home is truly in 2 parts of the world, while more travel adventures await me in the future. ¡Gracias API!

A life changing experience

My overall experience in Seville was nothing less than amazing. I couldn't find a better word to describe it. Even getting to school, which was a 25 minute bus ride from my home, was enjoyable, something I thought would be a pain. People are the nicest in South Spain, the weather is good, food is great, and the overall atmosphere of one's life is magnificent. There's always something to do, there's always people on the street having some tapas, drinking a cold beer, having a good time. I learned so much about myself being abroad. The staff of API was great in helping me adjust, get around, and know the city and its surroundings in a way I couldn't have done on my own. My classes at school were very interesting yet challenging, and my classmates were always very inviting. My host parents were amazing, two of the nicest people I've ever met. No cliché, having studied abroad has been the greatest experience of my life.

A Year in Sevilla

I studied in Sevilla, Spain with API for the entire 2010-2011 academic year. It was the best decision I have ever made.

There are a plethora of programs in Sevilla. Was I happy with my decision? YES. After getting to know students in all different types of programs, I was so happy to have chosen API. Somehow API is more affordable than most programs, yet they still offer the most excursions... including international ones! I traveled with API to many different areas of Spain. Some of my favorite were tiny little towns I never would have discovered on my own. We also went to Paris, France and Marrakech, Morocco! The excursions had just the right amount of planned activities and free time.

Travel was great, but my best memories are probably from Sevilla itself. I lived with an adorable young family. My host mom was an actress, so I had the opportunity to go to several theatrical events in the city as well as watch Spanish movies with her. I had adorable younger host sisters who we would play games with. I had American roommates who are now some of my best friends. No worries though, we had no problems making Spanish friends. We would go to their house and teach them American games, etc, and they would teach us how to cook Spanish and Moroccan food. Keeping in touch with them has really been important for my retention of my Spanish.

Sevilla is the perfect size. It is large enough to have infinite exploration possibilities, but it is small enough to walk everywhere you want to go. Each neighborhood in Sevilla has a completely distinct atmosphere, so there are places for everyone. Each night of the week you could go to a different area. I greatly miss Sevilla's food! Tapa hopping was definitely a favorite activity.

The University of Sevilla is lovely. The building itself is hundreds of years old. I mostly took Spanish culture classes like the history of flamenco and art from Andalucia. While I definitely think my classes improved my Spanish skills, I must admit there was minimal work involved. My grades mostly consisted of a mid term, a final, and maybe one large project of paper. Other than that, there was minimal work outside of class.

All year in Sevilla I heard talk of the spring festivals, Semana Santa and Feria de Abril, or Holy Week and the April Fair. I thought my time in Sevilla couldn't get any better... but it did. Semana Santa was a really touching religious and cultural experience. Sevilla is known throughout the world for the processions of church altars throughout the city. After this week of solemnity and devotion, the April Fair begins. Feria was probably the best week of my life. A special area of the city transforms into a village of large tents with bars and dancefloors, called casetas. The other half is a full blown carnival with food and rides. The streets are filled with horses and carriages. You spend all day and night there. My favorite part is the clothing... The men dress up in suits, and the women wear flamenco dresses! It is such a part of their culture that in the winter there is even a flamenco fashion exhibition in Sevilla preparing for Feria.

My year in Sevilla was a fantastic experience from which I gained infinite memories and friendships. I can't recommend it enough!

Best Experience of My Life

Studying abroad was the best decision I ever made and API was the best program I could have asked for! The program directors were so helpful and accommodating. They were awesome. Our group was small (40-45 people) compared to other study abroad programs like CEA and CIEE (1,000+), which was nice because you got to know everyone.

Classes were at la Universidad de Sevilla with all the other study abroad programs. Some were easier than others, but they were all spoken in Spanish. The workload was a lot easier than in the states and the exams weren't too bad either. It also helps to sign up or find an intercambio to practice speaking Spanish with. That helped me a lot.

API had a lot of excursions compared to the other programs and cost less. We went to Madrid, El Escorial, Toledo, Cádiz, Jerez de la Frontera, Doñana, Extremadura, and Morocco. (I might be forgetting some!)

I would highly recommend living with a host family, because that's the best way to practice the language! Plus, you get to have authentic Spanish meals every day, which were amazing!

There was a lot to do at night, as far as the social scene. There are a lot of bars along Calle Bétis, although it gets a little touristy. If you're looking for where all the Spaniards go, head to Alfalfa. I also recommend going on a tapas crawl. My friends and I went through a hostel that was hosting one and had a lot of fun. There were a lot of places we got to see in Sevilla that we didn't have a chance to experience before.

Sevilla is also the best place to be during Semana Santa (Holy Week) and you have to go to Féria! If your host family or someone you know has their own private caseta, that is the best way to enjoy Féria, but you can still have fun in the public casetas.

Overall, I would definitely study abroad with API again! It was the best decision I ever made.

A+ for API

Choosing API as opposed to another program was the best decision I made when I decided to study abroad. The program has academic options for students of all levels, the staff on site as well as back home were always extremely supportive and accommodating, and the best part was we got to go on so many excursions and cultural activities throughout the city, country, and even internationally! AND the total program fee costs less than other programs that offered fewer excursions and amenities. The city of Seville is a beautiful place that is not too large but definitely not too small--you will never get bored but you will feel like you know the city like it is your home by the end of your stay, if not sooner. Across the board at the University of Seville, academics are very manageable and allow for a lot of free time that you will want so you can take advantage of all aspects of the city, traveling, and being abroad in general. Definitely a great program all around.

About API

The mission of API is to transform lives by providing enriching academic and cross-cultural experiences that foster increased self-knowledge, cultural sensitivity and understanding of the global nature of our contemporary world.

*The former API...