CET Prague

CET Prague

Looking to study in a captivating city that is also historic and inexpensive? Seeking a great jumping-off point for exploring other destinations in Europe? At CET Prague, you can test the waters of an international career by pursuing an internship at a local or multinational company. Select a concentration - Business & Economics, Central European Studies, or Jewish Studies - to anchor your experience. Each concentration includes a core course. Elective courses are available in fields ranging from history and political science to film, psychology and literature. A highlight of the program is a 9-day traveling seminar to Poland, Austria, and Hungary. Czech roommates and a host of activities shine a light on local culture. This program is a good fit for academically serious students of all majors.

Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
Social Sciences
Sociology
Letters of Recommendation
Application Fee
CET makes it a point to include as much as possible. The CET program fee covers tuition, housing with a Czech roommate, activities and excursions (including the Traveling Seminar), medical insurance, visa processing & fees, cell phone to borrow during the program, transportation pass, and course materials/textbooks.

The program fee does not include transportation to/from Prague and meals.

Still wondering how to budget for your time abroad? CET offers scholarships, and CET staff is happy to provide advice on keeping discretionary purchases to a minimum (i.e., they can tell you where to get cheap eats).

Larissa
VA
Franklin & Marshall College

truly a life-changing semester!

My semester with CET Prague in the spring of 2013 has influenced me in ways I never could have predicted! I initially applied to and went with CET for my semester abroad as a means of fulfilling a requirement with my international studies department. I learned about Central European history, the Czech language, nationalism, the memory of the Holocaust, and so much more. I traveled on weekends to incredible cities across Europe, and gained a true sense of independence as I learned to navigate Prague.

4 years later, I ended up at an internship with an organization that shares an office with CET, got the chance to reconnect with my old resident director Jiri, and as a result am now starting out my career in international education. We never know how certain experiences may end up shaping our future, and my semester with CET started it all!

Michael
Oceanport, New Jersey

I Saw Everything...And More

The prospects and opportunities that the CET Prague program offer never failed to disappoint. There's something magical about meandering the streets of Vienna and perusing the Easter markets or sailing down the Danube at night, gazing at the beautiful skyline of Budapest. I think that the Travelling Seminar provided me with the ability to explore places that I never would have made it to. And if I had, I likely would have missed some incredible things. Any time you go some place new, you always want to make sure you see all the big sites. For the most part, any travel I did outside of CET sponsored travel was structured that way. But CET was able to bring something different. We saw all the major sites in the cities we went to, but we also explored the life and culture of the city as well. Many students who visited Krakow probably never got the chance to attend Friday Shabbat services, or those who visited Budapest likely never ventured to the picturesque town of Szentendre. And then there was Prague itself, a city with such a myriad of hidden gems and secrets. The CET staff was so helpful in helping us find those places so we could try something new and explore such a fantastic city. I appreciated all the time and effort CET put into planning our seminars and excursions because they never failed to disappoint!

I personally would have liked to see all the students who were apart of the program living within the same apartment building, or at least within close distance. I understand it's not always plausible, especially because we are living in the heart of Prague, but I felt this would have made friendships start sooner and become stronger.

Emma
Castro Valley
Brandeis University

CET Prague-- the Ultimate Abroad Experience!

One of my all time favorite experiences from the past semester was going to Mikulov, a small resort-type town near the border of the Czech Republic and Austria on CET's traveling seminar. Mikulov was something out of a fairytale-- it had a small adorable town square and was complete with a beautiful castle that had some of the biggest wine barrels I have ever seen! The most amazing part of the whole experience were the views-- I stayed in a loft suite with a few of my friends, and the views from our suite were absolutely breathtaking. Our program director also led us on a hike to a really nice viewing spot where we watched the sunset. It was a really excellent experience.

The Jewish studies program normally has a different rendition of the traveling seminar, but because our cohort was so small, we stuck with the Central European Studies kids for the whole traveling seminar. I loved our itinerary and I think it's definitely the better way to go.

Ellen
Nashville, TN
Vanderbilt University

Going With the Flow (And the Luggage)

It was my birthday. After a quick weekend in Bratislava, where I learned there aren't really many bars open past midnight and where I slept in an Air BNB that rented out the space under their restaurant and bar and next to their unpopular nightclub, my roommates and I found ourselves in a second class cabin on a train back home, to Prague. The trams had been down in Bratislava, so we ended up walking from our Boat-el to the train station. Sweaty, stressed, and a little unhappy, we were at least on the train, headed back to our beds that didn't rock. While everybody was a little upset with each other, I was fine. It was my 21st birthday, I was with new friends, we were on the train. That is, until we got to Brno and a man told us that he had reserved this cabin.
I still don't know if actually had reserved the cabin, but nonetheless, we were out. He kindly let us know that there are foldout chairs in the aisles. So we moved. And nobody spoke to each other.
Here we are, coming to the next stop. I'm doing my reading for class the next day, when I look up as I notice the train slowing down. What do I see? None other than my roommate's suitcase rolling straight at me!
Thankfully, and unsurprisingly, I lived.
As funny as I thought that day, and that weekend for that matter, was, I think what I took away from it was more important. It doesn't matter if your boat doesn't have heating, or if it's blasting bass-heavy music until 4 AM, or if you walk over three miles to the botanical garden just to learn that it's closed. What does matter is learning to roll with the punches and have a good time regardless! Who knows? Maybe your airBNB host (who is also the bartender) will give you a free birthday drink after forgetting you live there for the weekend. Maybe you'll laugh until you cry when you keep getting knocked over on the train by hungry Slovakians headed to the food car. With a bad attitude, you miss out on the subtle, hidden gems that make abroad life so much more beautiful and memorable.

I would liked to have had a fall break, or not have classes on Fridays.

Response from CET Academic Programs

Hi Ellen, Thanks for recommending the CET Prague program. We are glad you enjoyed your time in Prague and were able to explore the surrounding region in your free time. We agree that having a positive attitude and being able to cope with ambiguity and changing plans greatly enhances your study abroad experience and hope that the skills you learned, in and out of the classroom, continue to have an impact now that you are back at Vanderbilt. -Shelley Jessee, Director of Marketing

Alana
Washington, DC
American University

One with the community

One of the best parts about this program is their dedication to connecting you with the history and culture of the country. They believe it is not just studying abroad but living abroad and becoming a local. I was able to teach English lessons at a local elementary school. Others volunteered for businesses or retirement homes or after school programs. Coming back I not only miss the beautiful city of Prague, but also the amazing people I met who call Prague home.

Daniella
Providence, RI
Clark University

The Witch Burning

I celebrated many holidays in Prague. From Jewish holidays to college traditions that I did not want to give up even while abroad, I was able to mix my customs with the people on my program, along with participating in Czech holidays. May 1st is a national holiday titled Mayday. Mayday is the day of love. Everyone has the day off and is supposed to spend the day outside at one of the many festivals around the country. It was such a fun day, with lots of traditional Czech food and lots of outdoor activities. But one of the most interesting holidays I have ever been a part of occurs the night before may day, on April 30th. All around the country, bonfires are set. The bonfires are for the communal witch burnings. the witches are symbolic of winter and these collective bonfires signify the end of winter. This is the official welcome of spring, by burning out the cold and bitterness of winter.

The professors hired for this program could be better. Because there are so few available scholars in any given field and we have such a small program, we did not have the best professors. That being said, I loved all the other staff and thoroughly enjoyed the curriculum for each class, even if I didn't agree with the teaching style of the professors.

Jordan
St. Louis, MO/Rye Brook, NY
Washington University in Saint Louis

Living the Dream in Prague

I honestly don't even know where to begin. My semester in Prague was filled with countless memories, surprises at every turn, and endless amounts of fun. From the stunning architecture to the amazing sights, vibrant nightlife, and cheap prices on just about everything, this is truly a special place and one you won't regret studying abroad in.

CET was a great program to be a part of. The academics are not overwhelming and more than manageable. The staff is great, always helpful and there if you need them. You get to go on program trips to awesome cities like Krakow, Vienna, and Budapest. Living in a residential apartment amongst locals (including having a Czech roommate) really helped me adjust to the lifestyle and culture of a new country. Keep in mind that it is a very small program, but there are still plenty of people to meet in Prague (both locals and other Americans).

Prague really was a dream world. Don't pass up on the opportunity to go to this city.

Program is very small; sometimes felt limiting
Some classes were rather dry in terms of content

Ashley
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Wake Forest University

Fairy Tale Life

Prague is a fairy tale. Some of my best memories of Prague come from my aimless wanderings around historic Old Town and Lesser Town. From the tallest spires of the Prague castle down to the aged cobblestones of the streets, Prague offered something for the artistic, the adventurous, and the homebody. One of my favorite times in Prague was when I got to show off my magical city to visiting friends. I swelled with pride and love for this incredible city and its winding streets, ancient bridges, and hidden gems around every corner.

I would like to have more classes about the culture of Central/Eastern Europe and about Central/Eastern Europe under communism. That was the only gap I felt in the program. You could still feel the last vestiges of communism around Prague, so it would be useful to have a class devoted to communism.

Response from CET Academic Programs

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your CET program! It's always wonderful to hear about your experiences abroad and is invaluable to us as we help new students make the most of their study abroad experience. Please stay in touch! Join our LinkedIn group; follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram; and feel free to contact us if you'd like to discuss any aspect of your experience further. -Shelley Jessee, CET staff

Sean
York, Maine
Bates College

CET Central European Studies

Prague is an absolutely great place to live. As a history buff, I loved exploring different areas of the city and examining the art and architecture. I remember when studying abroad, I made an effort to find two to three new places on my own each week and to fully take in my surroundings. I would find various cemeteries, old churches, cathedrals, gardens, etc., and simply wander and absorb everything I could. I can't recommend studying in Prague more highly - it was an irreplaceable experience.

While I know it was an unfortunate exception in our semester's program, I think CET should really focus on finding students who are intellectual curious and really want to learn about their surroundings. There were several people on my program who tended to drag the rest of the students down because of their uninterested and disruptive attitudes.

Alex
Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia
Emory University

My Adventures in Prague

I always knew that I wanted to study abroad, but it wasn’t long before the date when I had to submit my study abroad application that I found out where I wanted to go. To me, Prague and the Czech Republic were largely off of the radar. I had only passed over the city in readings and knew little to nothing about its culture and history. I only decided to go because the CET program had no language requirement. It turned out that going to Prague; however, was one of the best decisions I’ve made.
The CET Central European Studies program was great. My classes not only taught me about the Czech Republic, but helped to foster a more nuanced understanding of all of Central Europe and ultimately the entire European continent, its history and its culture. In addition to the hisrory, which I really enjoyed, my classes introduced me to Czech Literature and authors such as Milan Kundera who I have continued to read since returning home. While academically stimulating, the classes were not too demanding either. This was good because it enabled me a great deal of free time to enjoy the city and also enough time to volunteer as an English instructor at a local children’s center, adding an important internship to my resume and providing an invaluable experience.
As for Prague and the Czech Republic itself, I don’t think that I could have picked a better location. Being centrally located within Europe, Prague makes it very easy for students to explore other parts of the continent. I was fortunate enough to independently visit Amsterdam, Italy, and even see family in several German cities. Other students on the program also went as far as Spain to the West and Turkey to the East. Many programs would not allow for such opportunities. The program itself also had a large travel component, so students who did not wish to travel independently were able to see many other countries along with the program. CET took us to Krakov in Poland, Budapest in Hungary, Vienna in Austria, and also several other picturesque Czech towns and cities. The cost of these trips were included in the program’s tuition, and this travel component ended up being one of my favorite aspects of the program. Still, even without travel, there is no reason to leave Prague, because the city itself is so wonderful. For a college student, Prague has everything you need: comprehensive and efficient public transit, a plethora of pubs on every block with ridiculously cheap and delicious beer, a vibrant and welcome local college aged population, music and museums, and much more. The only bad part of the Prague program was having to come home.
In addition to the courses and the city itself, the CET staff is very friendly and helpful. Going to another country for an extended period of time can be intimidating, and it is very helpful to have a support group who you are comfortable asking any questions and who really make it their obligation to ensure your comfort. This is exactly what I got. Overall, I couldn’t give the program any higher rating. I wish I was still in Prague and I hope to return soon!

I wish the program didn't end

Molly
Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Prague really is the most beautiful city in the world

What I loved most about the program was that CET emphasized immersion and experiential learning, by providing Czech roommates for each apartment, the opportunity to volunteer at a local organization through a service learning course, and a traveling seminar to Poland, Austria, and Hungary. I was able to witness firsthand what I learned in my classes about the Jewish history of Central and Eastern Europe and minority issues in contemporary Czech society by attending services with Prague's Jewish community, traveling to Auschwitz and taking Jewish tours of other cities in the region, and visiting local NGOs. Through the service learning class, I volunteered with an organization that does research about the Holocaust and even had the opportunity to interview a Holocaust survivor. I also loved the challenge of learning the Czech language. My Czech class even took field trips to restaurants and a Christmas market to practice!

I fell in love with everything about Prague: the cobblestone streets, the Vltava River, the plaques dedicated to writers on almost every street (Czechs are very proud of their intellectual and cultural history!), and goulash and dumplings. By the end of the program, the city really started to feel like home. I would highly recommend anyone interested in Jewish Studies, Religious Studies, History, or Europe in general to consider this program. The CET staff was very supportive throughout the semester and provided us with tons of opportunities to make the most of the experience.

The Czech class did not cover quite as much as I had hoped. However, I was able to learn more by taking advantage of my environment and using Czech when getting around the city. Volunteering at a Czech organization and taking a day trip by myself to a smaller town also challenged me to use my new language skills.

CET Academic Programs is a study abroad organization that has been developing and delivering innovative educational programs abroad since 1982. Originally “China Educational Tours,” CET began operations in Beijing, and today offers a varied portfolio of semester, summer, and short-term customized programs for college, high